Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

Comments

• tony44tony44 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, One year ago I had the similar problem with my Impala. I would charge the battery, and drive it around my little German town of Vilseck, park it back in to the carport, and the next morning the car battery would be dead. I took it to the opel dealership in Amberg, GE. I spoke with Mike about the problem. It took him a week to get to the bottom of the problem. My amp went out and was causing a short. I don't know how, I am a Soldier not a subject matter expert (SME) on cars. I have not had one single problem with the battery going dead since.
  • tony44tony44 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Chevy Impala, I will drive the car for about four or five days back and forth to work. I can get out of the car, lock the doors using the fob, or the in car button, and go out to start the car again and everything works, but the car will not start, i.e. the engine will not turn over. I let it set for a few days and hit the fob button to get in the car to start it and it will just magically start. I think it is in the security system somewhere, but who know with today cars? If this sounds familiar please let me know what you have done to fix it.
  • scar4scar4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 2LT that has a problem with the interior courtesy lights ( dome lights ) when the door is opened the lights under the dash come on, but the dome light, the lights under the mirror, and the door panel lights won't come on. I have tried to turn them on using the dimmer switch on the dash, but it won't turn them on either. You can turn them all on manually and they work by pushing the buttons on the dome light, and mirror lights, but they won't work by opening the door. Is this a common problem or is something turned off somewhere? Its just odd that none of them work when you open the door. I have checked the fuse and it is ok. Any suggestions?
  • tcaintcain Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 impala LS 100k miles and just started haveing this problem where the service engine soon battery and then securty light come on .the radio locks out.i just unhook the battery and its fine for a while .some times the track light comes on when its doing this but not every time. what could it be?
  • p62480p62480 Member Posts: 8
    I recently purchased a 2000 Impala Base. The AC/Heater fans only work on level #5. I assume that the control is bad. Is replacing the control hard to do yourself? I also am having the turn signal problem (not working). Is that something that could be replaced at the same time since the dash would be taken apart too, or is that an even bigger project? Any ideas or assistance would be great.
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Here's a stupid question - I recently bought a used 2000 Impala. I went to take groceries out of the trunk last night but the light inside the trunk was out, leaving me to fumble in the dark. This afternoon I practically crawled into the trunk trying to find the trunk light so I could replace the bulb - but I couldn't find it...where is it located?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've never replaced this on the Impala, but I did replace the similar component on my '89 Celica. If you want to do it yourself, I'd suggest going to a you-pull-it parts place, finding a used Impala there, and try taking it apart first. Better to make mistakes on the donor vehicle than your own, and if you run into a stumbling block halfway through you won't have to redo everything to drive the car again until you can fix it later. Granted you won't have any guarantee that A) the donor part will work, or B) if that's even your problem, but at least you're less apt to have done any more damage to your vehicle that way!

I did this on my Celica and got a used part, which cost maybe $40, and of course didn't work. I eventually opted for a new controller for $400; I could live without AC, but the heater didn't work - driving without heat for even a little while is torture! At least by the time I broke down and bought the new part I was very confident in my ability to install the part and had all the necessary tools and such at hand.
  • rbraserbrase Member Posts: 9
    My ignition switch is starting to stick in the lock position. I can jingle it and move the key to start the car. Chevrolet quoted beteen $350-450 to replace the switch and recode the key. Has anyone gone through this? Can I replace the switch myself?
  • alpz29alpz29 Member Posts: 3
    hi, just wondering if you got your problem fixed.We are going through that right now, the key locked, so we went to a junkyard and bought the key ignition switch, put it on myself,and it turns, but the car just won't turn on,the lights and everything work but car won't turn on. Do you have any advice, or anything you were able to figure out from your car.
  • kmo89kmo89 Member Posts: 3
    when the car reads that it is dark outside (and the dash lights activate in a different mode), the dash lights are very very faint. At night, I cannot read my speedometer, tachometer or fuel gauge. This is ONLY at dark, though. The radio and other instrument panel related lights are also very faint.
  • rbraserbrase Member Posts: 9
    I had a local mechanic install a new cylinder lock and switch and then he reset the passlock 2 system.
    I'm sure you've already tried this, but you can vary the light level by turning the headlight switch on the dash. It's possible yours has been turned down, and simply needs to be turned the other direction to bring the level back to normal.

On the other hand, the other day the display on my DIC got stuck in the "nighttime" setting during the day, and didn't reset until I shut off and restarted the car...so not saying you couldn't have some other gremlin causing the problem.
    hi, thanx alot for the info. we finally got it fixed last night. turns out it's the key that needs to get programmed. luckily a mechanic was generous enough to tell me that was the cause.he says mechanics usually make you take the car to them, but that's not necessary, so what I did was call a locksmith, he charged 100 bucks but he came over last night and had the car on in no time.i appreciate you replying to my question.thankyou.
  • danhilsmitdanhilsmit Member Posts: 4
    If you find out I would like to know. I have a 2000 Impala and I swear that there are ghosts in my car. I have taken to the dealership and of course the car doesn't act up for them...Scary going down a highway at 120 km and your lights start flashing and the dashboard starts saying there is a door open and the locks start locking and unlocking. I do the same...I have the battery unhooked and then its fine for awhile.
    yes, I know exactly what you're talking about.You see, the thing about these cars is that they all run based on the radio,all electrical wires are connected to the radio.I changed my radio, I bought a 40 dollar radio at walmart and put it on, so if you feel that your radio is somewhat messed up, then I suggest you change it, if you know it's a good radio then just check the wiring, but thats definitly what it is.If you have anymore questions let me know.
  • dino14dino14 Member Posts: 1
    Here is a series of dumb essential statements about our beloved pieces of junk! My battery has been draining almost over night but I pull the radio fuse and it seems to slow the drain down. I think I'm having BCM problems beacause my heated seats quit working and after 20 mins or so of diving the security,battery and service lights scroll through the window on the dash. I don't have problems with the car not running and I can shut it off and start it again no problem but when the warning lights come on the headlights flash on and off until I pull the switch on manually then I just hear a clicking sound from somewhere behind the glove box.
    Now! does anyone know the right BCM for an LS fully loaded is it the police one or other(part # please!!) also can a used one be re-programed and finally WHERE THE H*#@ IS IT IN THE CAR?
    Thanks for listening to the rants of yet another Impala sufferer!
  • emx72emx72 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I had the exact problem as you had, the radio was draining the battery, so just like you I pulled the fuse, than I noticed that the dash was also draining the battery, so I put a switch for the dash, still something else also drained the battery. So my electrian mechanic replaced my bcm for a USED one for $120, and it solved all the problem. I hope this helps you.
  • bear0711bear0711 Member Posts: 7
    If your impala is an 06 there is a little round knob you can turn clockwise which should fix your problem. It's left of the steering wheel between the trunk release and trac. control button.
    My 06 Impala has an intermittant Buzz/Blink sound coming from the driver side speaker. I have taken it to the dealership approximately 20 times to get it repaired. They have replaced lots of technical parts attempting to solve the problem but the problem continues. Often, before the Buzz/Blink sound happens, there is no Blink/Blink sound when the turn signal is activated.

There is no logical pattern to the occurance of the noise. It happens as often as twice per week or one per month. It is not effected by driving conditions or driving habits. It just does it when it wants.

The dealership has contacted a team of engeniers in Detroit for assistance but have come up with no results.

I should probably mention the radio is a Boss Premium Sound Package.

Any ideas? This is a very irritating problem.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Bear,
    My nephew's 2LT with the 3.5L and basic radio has pretty much lost his chime sound. His sounds like a muted bell being rung and may be the same sound you're hearing intermittently. I don't know if he has sought service yet but I'll check with him and follow-up.
    Just curious, have you had problems with your Bose system previously? The Bose systems had a bad hiss (mine included) that was MOSTLY fixed by swapping out the amp in the trunk. I'd be curious to hear any experiences with your Bose system.

Thanks,
    Ron
    The dealership replaced the amp already. Then they replaced the body control computer. They even reprogramed the stereo twice. They called me today and told me come get it because they can't get it to act up again.

I am interested in what they find with your nephews. Please keep me posted.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    bear0711,

All newer GM radio makes Turn Signal (CLICK CLACK), Chime sounds at the Driver side speaker. This is one way for them to save money. So if you hear unintended buzz or Blinking sounds, the radio is the culprit. It may experience some sort of brain death in these situations. You can tell the dealer to replace the radio to see if it is helpful. Early model year radio (06 model year for Impala) normally has more software or hardware bugs than the 07 and 08 models.

If you are sick and tired of seeing the dealer, then reset the radio by unplug the fuses to the radio. Let the fuses out for 4-5 minutes before plugging them back. That will cure it for a while until next time. I did that to my 10 year old GM minivan to reset the Power sliding door at least once a year to get its function back

Good luck

jt
    Thanks,

I have suspected the radio. They tried reprograming it twice but to no avail. I think replacing it may possibly be the solution.

Thanks,

JJ
  • littleasianguylittleasianguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Impala (3.4L base model) and am having problems with my turn signals. When I flip the turn signal lever the indicator light on my dash, and signal light in light the assembly will come on but not flash. It is the same for driver and passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure if I should replace a relay or the turn signal module. A local mechanic quoted $550.00 to replace the module and relay. Any help would be great.
    I don't know what the problem would be. I would start with the relay. It should be less expensive and easier to fix. If you do it yourself you will save big $$$.
    I have a 2000 Impala and I swear that there are ghosts in my car. I have taken to the dealership and of course the car doesn't act up for them...Scary going down a highway at 120 km and your lights start flashing and the dashboard starts saying there is a door open and the locks start locking and unlocking. I do the same...I have the battery unhooked and then its fine for awhile.

It probably is the bad BCM (Body Computer Module) that control security (horn, lock, light,..)and others in your car. My friend had his Impala honking, not starting,.. once in awhile for no reason at all. The dealer changed numbers of things but could not fix it until they replaced this module.

jt
    Have you checked the light bulbs? The odd of both light bulbs going out at the same time is rather low however. But at least the bulb is cheaper to experiment with.

jt
    They replaced the BCM in my car. It still didn't fix the problem. In fact it did it again last night. I think the stereo is the problem but GM refuses to replace any more parts on my car until it acts up for the dealer. I even recorded the last several times it has acted up. I think they think I am crazy.

You car is odd. Maybe you should name it Herby.
  • tessmillertessmiller Member Posts: 10
    I wasn't sure where to put this in all the No start questions, so I am starting here.
    After having the Crank Sensor replaced four months ago on my 2000 LS, it won't start. We drove it for a whole day...shopping, so stopping and starting and then it just didn't turn over. Just clicked. Now, we had a feeling we needed a new battery; so, my husband replaced that thinking that would be it. Still nothing. It just clicks. It's parked at my relatives and she started it once successfully, but didn't let it idle. Now we can't get it to start. It clicks and all the dash lights come on. A mechanic I am having looking at it said he will test the starter, but he thinks it is having a major electrical problems. Great.
    My question is could it be the battery just wasn't fully charged so it isn't strong enough to start the car? Is it the security system? Or is it the dreaded BCM that I am reading about?
    Thanks for all your help. Last time I ranted that I would sell this POS and never drive it again. I am a sucker because I really want to like the car and when it was running well, I was a happy camper.
    :confuse: :sick:
    It's possible it's the solenoid in the starter. If so, it will be a reasonably priced repair. Since you've already changed the battery, that likely rules out the other "cheap" fix. I would also make sure the battery cables and connectors are in good shape. Hope that helps. :)
  • tessmillertessmiller Member Posts: 10
    I really hope that's it! Wouldn't that be a nice change? Something simple?! When the mechanic 'tests' the starter,it will detect the problem? I don't want it to be one of those issues where you have to hunt and guess....
    here's to crossing your fingers.... :)
    Well, I would mention it to your mechanic. He/she will probably tell you that it's a part of the test but it never hurts to confirm. Honestly, it was a common problem many years ago and is much less common these days. I wish you the best of luck. I know how frustrated you must feel. :(
    Bear,
    My nephew is taking his car in on Tues. He doesn't remember what they're replacing but he will get details and I'll pass them along.
    Regarding your amp, were you having the stereo hiss problem before (and/or after) they replaced it?

Talk to you later,
    Ron
    Since the radio shows the problem, it is easy for it to get the blame. Sometime, it could be a bad switch module that sends bugus signal to the radio (telling it to chime or buzz). But the radio should be high on the likely suspect list since it is in the middle of all actions.

Unfornately since this is an intermitten problem, it probably is hard for the dealer to duplicate it. Everytime you turn on the Ignition switch on the vehicle, this problem may or may not happen. It may take 100 times for it to act up. Or it may take 200 times? So next time when it happens, you should drive to dealer to show them (without turning off the vehicle or radio). But then again your radio may recover when you get there. That may be why the dealer could not dupplicate it. Unless they keep your car for awhile to try it themselves.

jt
  • jayvee1jayvee1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Chevrolet with the 3.4 engine. I have been experiencing a no start condition and also a condition where the car cuts out when driving. In the no start condition the car will do one of two things. One it will crank with no thought of starting and secondly, it attempts to start but will spit and sputter for a few seconds, will not start and dies. After a few minutes of waiting or continued starting attempts ie: turning the key off and trying to re start, usually it will start. When driving along and it stalls it always has started even while moving. I see where others with similar symptoms have mentioned a crankshaft position sensor, a body control unit and a pass lock sensor.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    PS: Nothing shows up in the computer.
  • mote96mote96 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 monte carlo that just had that happen. The only difference is that once mine wouldn't start, no amount of waiting did the trick. It would crank forever but not turn. But the stalling while driving and starting right up is very familiar.

Anyway, the problem on mine was the ignition module. They replaced the crank sensor at the same time. About 3000 miles later, the same thing happened. The module was under warranty and replaced. It's only been a few days since the fix, so I don't know if I'm out of the woods. I'm looking at an 06 LTZ anyway. It's just another possibility for your problem.
  • yebitsyebits Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Impala will intermittanly drain the battery. Problem started about 2 months ago when one day the 18 month old battery was dead. Pulled battery, it tested bad at AutoZone, was given a new battery. Thought problem was solved. 3 or 4 days later, battery dead again. Charged and started, checked battery voltage good and looks like alternator is good (approx 14.5 volts). Battery dead again a few days later. I took the car to a trusted mechanic. After several weeks, he could not find anything wrong; no abnormal current draw, power and ground connections good, alternator tests good, etc. Took vehicle home. Next morning, you guessed it, dead battery. Charged and took vehicle to "The Dealership" (I hate taking a vehicle to the dealership for weird problems). They could not find a problem either; all tests good. Left it for a week and they checked it each day with no problem found. Took the vehicle home and... that's right... dead battery the next morning. Towed to dealer. Another week at the dealer and still no problem found. Tech and Service Advisor say battery tests "weak." Took vehicle to AutoZone to have the 2 month old battery retested; they say it tests good. They also say the alternator tests low at 8 amps saying it should be more like 12 amps. I don't think I have an alternator problem as the battery going dead is intermittant. I believe a bad alternator would result in more consistant battery problems. Reading various posts on "dead battery": the BCM, ground connection, and radio seems to be solutions to other similiar problems.

Any other ideas where to turn/check next?
    From what I'm reading, it only dies when you've been driving it...right? Maybe it's something you're doing, specifically, that's causing the problem. Not that you're doing anything wrong, just something you do is different from what the dealership or your other mechanic is doing. Like maybe locking the door via the door button vs. the FOB. I know that's unlikely but since you've got a gremlin in there, it could be something that seems insignificant. I own an '06 and yesterday I was listening to the radio with the engine off. I had been sitting in the car for about 30 min and just happened to look at the dash and saw the tach and speedometer needles pull down below 0...all by themselves, blip a couple times, then return to normal. I was just sitting in the seat...didn't touch a thing. :confuse:

There are lots of things going on with the electronics/security systems on these cars when they seem to be just sitting there.

I don't really have any ideas for what could be wrong but if you take it in again, maybe try copying your routine and parking it for them rather than having them do it. It may be your routine sequence that's the key to figuring it out.
  • yebitsyebits Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it only seems to go down after it's been driven...sometimes. I've been doing what you are suggesting. Trying to figure out if there is some secific thing or sequence that's causing this. Got some ideas to check today. Thanks for your input and please share additional ideas you might have.
    Just curious, have you checked with the dealership (I know, I hate dealing with them too) about the alternator amperage? If it is indeed low, it may be putting your battery at a point where occasional circumstances are killing it. For instance, idling in traffic usually results in more power being drawn than is replaced by the alternator. Is it possible that it's dying on days when there may be a higher load on the battery?

One other theory as to why the mechanics can't duplicate the problem... On the '06s, the hood is wired into the security system. If that's the case with your model, maybe when they raise the hood to check voltage, they're also resetting something in the security system that is cancelling whatever is drawing power in the cases where it drained the battery. You might look into that and if it is tied in, try raising the hood for a few days after parking it and see if it retains its charge. It would be a bit of a nuisance but may result in peace of mind. :)
    Thanks

The dealership has had the car several times and only got it to act up once. They replaced the amp., BCM, and reprogramed the radio twice. They told me GM wont replace any other parts until they get it to act up again.

I suspect the problem lies in the radio too. Even when the radio is off, I hear it power up every time I turn on a turn signal.
    Bear,
    I'm not sure if I followed-up on this or not but my nephew's problem was with the front speaker that plays the door chime. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Fortunately for him, it was an easy fix. Hopefully yours will be the same.

Ron
  • agaboagabo Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Chevrolet impala, and I have problem with engine fan. We just put a new fan, because the old fall a part, and same as in the old one only one side of the fan is working. Temperature on this car have to be constantly check, otherwise the car will overheat. We also lost overhead light, dashboard and trunk light.
    Any body have any ideas how to fix this problem?
  • rclubrclub Member Posts: 2
    Just got a new 07 LS - Are there any power outlets in the car that turn off when the key is removed? I noticed that the front 12V Power outlets stay live even after the key is removed and the car is locked. This is a problem because I have a sirius radio which plugs into the lighter and stays on all the time. Anyone have any suggestions, other than unplug it every time I Park?
    Double-check but I'm pretty sure the console power outlet turns off. Of course, you'll have to open the door to cancel the extended power (can't remember the official term). Also, it may be a little bulky having the power cord coming out of the console. I liked it better in my '02 Monte Carlo that had the other power outlet on the back of the console facing the back seat.

I can't find it in the owners manual but I think I remember reading it there. Good luck!
  • kmo89kmo89 Member Posts: 3
    i tired that is it possible to have a short in the knob that you twist
  • dwt120dwt120 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Impala w/ the following problem, security light comes on, head lights and dash lights blink intermittently, radiator fan runs intermittently, fuel gauge giving false reading, and it sounds like relay clicking below steering column. This relay also clicks when I release the brake, but not when I press the brake down, but only when the car is in drive. This problem is not constant and happens intermmittenly. I disconnected the positive battery cable and the problem dissapeared for aproximately 100 miles, but came right back. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
    Seems most of those freaky, intermittent things have been traced to the Body Control Module (BCM). I'd research it and see what you can find out.
    And my 2000 started having some odd electrical problems (random radio searches and such) a few weeks before my battery died...something else you might have checked (probably cheaper than a BCM!).
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I've been having the dim dashlight problem at times. Doesn't happen all the time, but many mornings with sun shining bright I can barely see the time or radio station on the display. Has anyone heard if they've discovered why this is happening and have a fix?

Also, when you start the car the running lights are supposed to come on dimmed, but mine has been starting with brights. It's around 7:30 a.m. so is plenty light. Then a couple nights ago around 5:15 pm with it still pretty daylight (I'm in TN), the brights turned on automatically. Anyone else seen this?