Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

Comments

• cmsberettacmsberetta Member Posts: 3
    hello...am new to this site...I have a 1991 Infiniti Q45....ran fine and now will not start...it acts like it wants to turn over but will not...battery is fine ..and fuses to...can anyone help me...woman here lol
  • dstidhamdstidham Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know what might be wrong. I have a 98 malibu with 111,000 miles. it starts and runs good. This morning I backed out of the driveway and put it in drive and when the shifter went past neutral there was a serere grinding noise. But in drive the noise went away. I drove a short distance to work and when I stopped and put the car in park the grinding noise came back through neutral, reverse and park. I rapidily turned it off and have not tried to start it again. The shifter has been stiff to operate and the dealership checked it earlier this week and said something had been spilled into it and the module would have to be replaced to free it up. The gringing noise sounds like the starter is engaged. Additionally the radio quit working this morning. The radio appears to have no electrical power going to it. Can moving the shifter cause the starter to engage? I have worked on cars for many years and this problem really is puzzling. Can someone HELP!!
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Try posting on the Infiniti forum. Lots of Chevy heads here on the Malibu forum.
  • bev777bev777 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Malibu :lemon:

I have had it in for repairs so many times now, I've lost count.

The theft system light comes on and won't let me start, so a tow truck driver (they've become my best friends because of the malibu) taught me about the 10 minute trick to start it, but now not even that works all the time. Best I can describe is when this happens is it sounds like it's turning over, but just won't catch, then dies OR the motor doesn't do anything - silence.

Repair shops can not find the problem. This last time, they said they want to replace the ignition column, but can't guarantee that's what is wrong - pretty expensive guess.

The Fill Oil Light comes on every time I start it but if I turn the car off and immediately re start, the oil light stays off.

Have had trouble in the past with ABS light coming on.

Also with cruise control shutting off while engaged - that took 13 tries under warranty to fix, no exaggeration.

New battery has been put in.

I'm so tired of getting stranded - can anyone help. :lemon:
  • egarridoegarrido Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar problem,there are two grounds between the battery and the front light at driver side and there's another near the air filter get them out and clean them with sand paper,also clean the contact points at the body of the car,put them back and try to see if this solve your problem ,it did to me,good luck and let me know.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Sorry to hear about all your problems with this car, we have a 98 Malibu with 151,xxx miles on it and have had minimal problems. How many miles does yours have? Have you had the dealership look at it or only independent shops? Sometimes a dealership is worth the upcharge to get something fixed that independents don't have the diagnostic tools for. Good luck!
  • whendee29whendee29 Member Posts: 1
    I need help and I need it fast. lol
    So yesterday I got my 2000 Chevy Malibu :sick: stuck in the snow. While trying to unstick it my car over heated. Nothing more concerning at the time. Finally got it free and I drove it to work this morning. I put Antifreeze in because the low water light was on. It started wonderful as always. On my lunch break I go outside to go to the bank and my car wont start! I am getting power to everything but the car doesnt even turn over. I can hear the fuel pump starting as I turn the key but nothing more. I had someone try to jump it just to make sure and nothing. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I need to go pick up my car from work in an hour and hope to have some suggestions to take with me. THANKS SO MUCH!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd jiggle the transmission lever from park to neutral and back a couple times and see wha' happens.
  • newlatitudenewlatitude Member Posts: 3
    RE: "Well to put it in simple terms, there are 3 wires coming out of the ignition switch module. Get the engine running and while still running cut the yellow wire coming out of the module. It will now always start with out reset. "

Are you sure this works? I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now. The dealership suggests replacing that cylinder ($194,) but I have been holding out for some way to just bypass the whole system. This just seems way too easy. It would make sense if the sensor activated the theft system as you turned the key off, using your method it would never be activated in the first place. Maybe that would explain why sometimes the theft light stays on, and sometimes it stays off while driving. Again, it just seems too easy for such an irritating, and otherwise expensive problem.
  • stephaniemjmstephaniemjm Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me how to do the 10 min trick....I just got a 2003 malibu yesterday and I would go to put the key in the ignition and the key wont go past off it seems like the ignition is locked so now I cant even drive it .....every thing else is fine it has low miles and new everthing can some one please help me with my problem.....I am 19 this is my first car I go to work and school full time i cant afford this problem..please help!!!
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    They say it works. Here is another one I picked up recently, have had positive reply's.

Turn the key too run, shift into neutral, then start.
    Try moving the steering wheel left and right while turning the keys. If it has a steering lock, it maybe loaded one way.
  • newlatitudenewlatitude Member Posts: 3
    The problem is that the anti theft activates from time to time. When this happens, the anti theft light starts flashing. It is then necessary to leave the key in the on position for exactly 10 minutes. I can then turn the key off, and then start the car. I need to find a way to disable this function all together. But thank you for the advise.
  • stephaniemjmstephaniemjm Member Posts: 2
    do you know if cutting the yellow wire works? or switching the ignition?
  • mavericktimaverickti Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like you and diesmart may have 'trash' in your fuel filters. The debris in fuel tanks will collect in the bottom of the tank and when low fuel or a sudden shift after driving a long time will send the 'trash' into the filter and clog it. 'Trash' could be actual dirt, sand or other particles in your tank or most commonly WATER in your fuel. You should change your fuel filter (I would do it twice, once this weekend and again next weekend to have a more clear new filter) your fuel filter is a small can with hard fuel lines on both ends located on the body pan front of the fuel tank under the car. It is right above all of the wires coming out of the pump/tank area. A filter should be only 10 or less dollars. Try getting gas at a different station for awhile and see if there is a change. FYI I am not by any means a pro malibu fan. I just think that you may have a slightly more simple answer than most other issues.
    p.s. diesmart: change your filter ANYTIME you think you have bad gas or a clog(okay, not the day after Taco Hell!) and twice to be sure! Pay the extra penny or two to see if you get water free gas at another station.
  • bev777bev777 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'll try what you suggested with the two fuel filters and a different gas station.

Thanks again.
  • whoslerwhosler Member Posts: 1
    While I've heard that this worked for many people I recently tried it and it didn't work for me. My mechanic back home suggested that if I did decide to try this that I should be sure to cut the wire in a place that it can be easily reconnected, which would also be my suggestion to you. Your theft light will stay on permanently, but if your car starts every time it is well worth it.
  • rajinder_palrajinder_pal Member Posts: 4
    Nature of Problem : Intermittent
    Temp Solution i found: Boost the Battery ... and every thing start working properly...
    Symptom: Sometime while starting a car .... there is no power in the car ... like there is no battery in the car .... car stereo, door locks, wipers, roof/ceiling light stop working ... accept the tachometer needle moves to full swing and when u press the emergency light, relay gives improper contact and bad sound ...
    Looking for permanent solution: could anybody facing same problem and have solution .....

thanks
  • malicrapmalicrap Member Posts: 4
    this car was driven down to Florida a couple of times by my grandma, so it was in pretty good condition, i have a keyless entry remote that stopped working (it only unlocks now), also i have changed the oil, spark plugs(gapped correctly), etc. The car starts like crap, you can tell its not firing at the same time and possibly a cylinder short as it vibrates when idling sometimes, i have yet to change the wires but doubt thats what, it gets horrible gas mileage in the city but really good on the highway(@145km/hr), also the electrical is screwy now, ever since the remote stopped working the dash lights don't work(except for odometer) all mini fuses good.
    also no matter what rpm if you use brake pedal/window switches/door locks the lights dim, the steering column winds when turning (getting louder) and a weird almost scratchy noise when turned left more than one revolution,
    Any input would be gratefully appreciated.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    geez, what's there to say: sell it and move on
    Do you think you might need a new battery?
    Thank You Everybody...
    I got the solution to the problem....
    battery has been checked, it was the first thing i did, mid 14 volt seems all normal to me.
    the only thing i can think of was there seems to be some aftermarket wiring, perhaps to the keyless FOB as nothing else is on the car. i imagine power loss to be coming somewhere from the alternator.
  • tony80tony80 Member Posts: 2
    the battery has full charge. dome light , power locks , ignition, dash board are all dead. The only thing that happens is the gauges move up and down and there is a rapid ticking sound .
  • egarridoegarrido Member Posts: 4
    Open the hood and in the driverside near the fusebox there's a ground,and near the front light and the battery there are another 2 ,clean the contacts points on the 3 either in the wire and in the chasis,with sand paper,put them back and try to start the engine,this can be the cause....that happened to me....Good luck
    damn new chevy's, it sounds like some kind of ignition short, did you check the whopping 3 fuse boxes this car has? thats the only thing i can think of, hope its some help
  • tony80tony80 Member Posts: 2
    It seems you have experienced the same problem with your malibu's no power condition. I was wondering how you fixed your problem. Thank you
    hi dear...
    ya my prob was exactly the same as urs....

Diagnose....
    it was all related to the transmission stick lock nob and ignition lock.....

Malfunction observed....
    what was happening was when i use to park my car my transmission stick lock nob got stuck inside and with little effort i was able to remove the key from the dash board (which doesn't came back to off position and stuck inbetween on and off).
    so the system was not completely off and hence the battery got discharged and dash board start malfunctioning......

I recommend ...
    First, check ur transmission stick knob ..... it shoud give a click sound when it come back to it position after u put the trasmission stick on Parking or any other position...
    Second, check ur ignition lock... is it working gud....

bye n take care...
  • nanellnanell Member Posts: 11
    Hi-

I had the same problem with the keys for Wally's world on my 2003 Malibu classic. They cut a total of 5 of them (got my money back on them of course) but they wouldn't really work. One of them worked sometimes if I really jiggled it.

I went to the local hardware store that had a different type of cutting machine and for $3.38 I got 2 keys that work just fine for the car.

As for the key FOB. I called the dealer (that I just bought the car from) and after the verified that the car had keyless entry by checking the VIN they gave me the part number for the FOB (They wanted $89 for it). I bought 1 on ebay for $13 and was told by like 10 local locksmiths that I have to go to the dealer to get it programed. They want $87 to program it. and they said it only takes 20-30 minutes to do it. I called a few other local Chevy dealers and they all had a different price to program it. The cheapest was $47.50.
  • autumn1014autumn1014 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 2003 Malibu. I can not start my car due to the Anti-Theft. Does anyone have any ideas. Has anyone else had any problems like this? What about just cutting the wire to the theft system, does anyone think that will work.

Your help is appreciated.
    Cut the yellow wire with engine running.
    Try this, curious, turn key to run, shift from park to neutral and see if it will start and run. Let me know.
    The Yellow wire, are you sure this will work? If I cut the yellow wire will I still be able to use my keyless entry? Thanks
  • nanellnanell Member Posts: 11
    A mechanic said that there is a magnet in the ignition that allows the anti theft system to turn off. He told me to turn the key to the acc or on possition fo rabout 20 minutes then turn off and then try to start. Not sure if it will work. But worth a try. Let us if it works.
    I have read it works, has nothing to do with keyless entry. It won't work if engine is not running when you cut the yellow wire.
    If you do a Google search you can install a resistor and be done with it.
    What about just disconnecting the Harness - unplugging it?

There are no side effects or problems that can be caused if the Ant-Theft is not connected?
    One more question, what kind of Resistor should I get?
    I just read up on my Passlock infor, One guy just unplugged it and it worked for him, but the security light stays on, it will if you cut the yellow wire too.
    This information came from another site.
    Passlock System
    Well, I just bypassed one the other day too. What I did was cut the yellow PK2 wire, stripped a little off of the black reference ground wire, put one lead from my ohm meter on the black ground wire and the other lead on the wire yellow wire going to the ignition switch. Then I put the car in gear and cranked it over. When you do that, the switch will send out what code it has been using. It came out to something like 6.21ohms. I then got some resistors that were about 6.25 and connected one end of the resistors to the cut yellow wire GOING to the BCM and the other end of the resistors to the ground reference wires. It started right up and the theft light went off.
  • crazy7crazy7 Member Posts: 1
    To whom it may concern,I have been having lots of problems with the theft system in a 98 chevy malibu.I replaced the ignition cylinder, key,and starter.The theft system has ben acting up more frequently than before. Even with the new parts that were replaced.The mechanic said we can bypass, if we cut certain electrical wire ,but he said light would stay on and battery would drain after time.Elderaly couple/grandparents needs another persons solution.If anyone else has the same conflict about their theft system,I would like to here from you even if your not a mechanic.Malibu is giving me money problems,and making my life hell.I wont buy another gm,unless I get this solved.Theft system has been going from once a month to now once a day.I cant be stranded do to health problems.Didn't know a malibu,with 90,000 mileson it would be so junk.Winter is approaching in a few months, and dont know if the car is gonna strand me in the cold with my grandkids or what?I cant afford a new car,i am retired.I appreciate any comments available.
  • fischerj00fischerj00 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 malibu classic that won't start. will turn over and over but not starting, also somthing strange when this occurs, when you move the blinker left or right the flasher buzzes and the lights do not flash. it does this when driving down the road or when it is just sitting, most of the time i seem to be able to move the turn signal switch around till it acs normal then it will start, now i can't get it to work, any ideas.
  • fischerj00fischerj00 Member Posts: 2
  • harshadsharshads Member Posts: 1
    I have same year car with 118K miles and experienced same grinding problem twice so far!
    Found any solution yet?
    Thanks
  • tie_pilot9tie_pilot9 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 maxx it has a run on problem when I start the car, it of course is intermitant when it happens it is like the starter wants to keep trying to start,when it first started it would start after it ran on,know it wont and you have to do it again,then there is a smell of gas(like a old flooded carb) when it starts....the other problem is the power steering,at times it feels like old non power steering,Today it happened when I was driving about 40 mph and I went to turn and it was very hard to turn for about 2-3 min's then it was ok again,up till today it just got hard when I first took off after it was parked and had to turn..I know it is electric pwr steering..would it save a code in the computer,that the dealer could see?
  • ba32347ba32347 Member Posts: 8
    ignation problems too

have you found out what is wrong with your malibu's ignation problem...I nned help too
  • tjcotjco Member Posts: 5
    same problem as [start up and power steering problem]. 135,00 mi. wont start unless holding gas pedel down, and wont idle unless holding gas pedel. has fuel presure, no check engine light, replaced EGR valve, MAF sensor, IAC valve, TPS sensor, alternator, fuel filter, cleaned fuel system, new plugs/wires, power relays, still having same problem, have had problems with power steering, high idling, running out of gas before empty, and dying suddenly while driving.
  • aldusqaldusq Member Posts: 4
    '04 Malibu
    28000 miles. Great car untill 2 weeks ago. Intermittent start problem.
    Turns over for a few seconds, sputtering, and then seems to disconnect
    from the load and starter spins like with no load. Maybe only around zero degrees or less. Wait 10-15 minutes and starts ok 3 times. Dealer can't make it happen.
    I point out that this is the same thiing an illegal key would do. So replace the
    Theft protection module. He says no, I have to see it. GM extended warranty guy says the same thing. Now what? Anyone?

aldusq
    Feb 1 '09 Update

Spent about an hour with the Dealer's service guys. They couldn't reproduce the problem. Checked fuel pump etc other mechanical stuff. They really tried.
    Temperature was above zero degrees F. NO Charge! This electronic engineer thinks it's in the Theft Detterent MOdule. Book says if nothing else works replace the module. Dealer says " If I can't produce the problem I can't fix it"
    Me: The module works if it wo'nt start with a strange key.
    The module fails if it wont start with the right key.
    But wait ten minutes and it starts.
    The manual says "If the replacement does not work, the theft deterrent control module must be malfunctioning."
    In other words ...if everything else works, it must be a bad module
    Manager was not impressed.
    Stay tuned
    The reason the dealer never sees the problem with the scanner is that when the car doesn't start it sets an error signal. It stores this signal until the next time the car starts. Then it resets the error signal to zero. What they need is a counter
    to keep track of the no starts which the scanner can then read out. Which
    will tell the mechanic there really is a problem here.

aldusq
  • cprovostcprovost Member Posts: 3
    I bought my wife a 2005 malibu and when you crank the eng. its like the starter is still trying to start. Sometimes it will start and still like its trying to start or if not it will just kill. I had to to stop the the eng. sometimes. The other thing is today she called me up and said the at a red light the temp. went up on it and gose up and down and when she takes off it will go down. Is this something rong with the starting problum are its going to do that? I work on big truck iand i never herd that befor. Can you please help me out? I really dont want to go get a new car :confuse:
    Temp is normal, fan turns on at about 230°. The temp will stay the same with A/C on, fan runs all the time.
    Mine will stumble on half hot starts sometimes, been doing since new, GM never could fix it. I am used to it now.