Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@jayrider said:
    Did anyone ever win a car in the promotions ?

I did win a Ford, but it was not in a dealer promotion. It was a different kind
    of contest and giveaway.

As for the dealer promotions, they usually are ready to hand out the
    thin, synthetic stadium blanket or the free flashlight, etc., if you
    just say you want the item without the test drive. I haven't gone in
    for one in a long time. Now the promotions are usually the you win
    something out of a group of 5 based on your number at the store, but the
    statistics they have to show indicate it will be a "free" trip to Cincinnati, where
    I only have to pay the taxes and service fee. Also the 1 chance out of 10,500,000 that I will
    win the big prize, a car, is over all dealerships owned by that group or
    by the promotion cartel group, not just within customers showing up
    at the one store.

Frauds.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@bwia.
    Your story reminds me of my hurricane Sandy extended cruise in Nov 2012. I guess there are worse places to be stranded. Hang in there.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited January 2014

@explorerx4 said:
    we need him? Of course being a GM guy, he won a Ford.

Whadda ya mean, "GM guy"? I've been just as open minded about all the other brands
    as the foreign car lovers have been about the US-based products during the last
    20 years. But I did win a Mustang Pace Car. It was fun for the 6-8 months or so
    that I owned it. Sunroofs are not for me. A little more irony I may not have mentioned
    before is that I had sworn I'd never own another Ford after being a Ford fan for lots
    of years and here I won a Ford. I was really torn whether to stick by my oath
    or accept the Ford. But it was fun driving a 4-cyl turbo manual. I did nearly wipe out in
    Devou Park which has beautiful overlooks of downtown Cincinnati: I underestimated the
    braking distance before the last 90 degree turn because it was downhill. Wouldn't
    have been a problem, but the light rear end wanted to come around on hard braking.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Again, don't blame driver100 for my poor edit skills.

I was the one who went to the dealer 9:00am.

Thanks OF, I admire a man who takes responsibility for his own deeds....besides, I have enough problems without getting blamed for that one.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@imidazol97 said:
    snip

Imagine how light that rear wudda been had it had an 8 up front. You'd think that Pinto turbo'd 4 would allow that thing to handle its very best. Musta been fairly quick tho cuz they ended up putting that same powerplant in the much heavier T Bird (and Lincoln LS too maybe?)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I've redeemed more than a few $25(or more) gifts for test drives. I've always been up front with respect to my intentions. Most dealers just go ahead and fill out the form and I'm on my way, but I've run across a couple of sales guys who were obviously mad at me for having the temerity to redeem my offer...
    And note that I never went to a dealer during peak hours- weekday early afternoons were the rule.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

CARS, BAR CODES AND CONDOS

This morning, I had to get up at 6:00 AM so I could drive my car over to the security building to have a new bar code sticker put on my car so I can get in the community using the automated gate. But that's just the end of the story!

After Hurricane Wilma, the Condominium Association submitted about $600,000 in claims to their insurance company for damages sustained to trees, community buildings, etc. That was 5 years ago. So the insurance company settled for $550,000. Our Board of Directors decided that they would use that money to demolish the existing south entrance and build a beautiful new security building. They closed the south entrance 8 months ago and the new building is still not completed - they expect another 2 months.

Still not the end of the story. After waiting in 10-20 minute traffic lines for 8 month to get into the community at the west entrance, we are notified by security that we need to have an additional bar code sticker placed on the right side of our cars (we already have a sticker for the left side of our cars) because the new security building's bar code reader is going to be on the opposite side. The planning is amazing, isn't it! So, I get in line and wait 30 minutes this morning and they apply the new bar code sticker after checking my ID and vehicle registration. When they said I could go, I said they have to take the sticker off the left side of my car. They said NO, you'll need both stickers because the west entrance's bar code reader is on the left side of the car. Amazing!

Still not the end of the story! Here is the END - I attended a Condo Board Meeting Monday and found out that the new security building will not only take another 2 months before it is operational, but that the final cost of this 20' x 20' building will be $600,000! I couldn't believe my ears. I stood up, got to the microphone, and let them have it!

I said, "...so you took the money from the insurance payout, spend an additional $50,000 to build a security building/entrance which did not need replacing, and our main road throughout the community is crumbling. You mean you couldn't spend the money to repave the 2 mile long circle, or at least pay for some of it?" They responded no, we are going to levy a $2130 assessment on all units to pay for that. I then remarked, "...and who among you filled your pockets with our money - the building you are constructing couldn't have cost more than $150-200 thousand?"

With that, I started to walk out of the meeting - but the applause from the 200+ owners continued for 10 minutes - and the President of the Board adjourned the meeting.

Ah, it never seems to end - does it?

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2014

@abacomike said:
    CARS, BAR CODES AND CONDOS

who among you filled your pockets with our money - the building you are constructing couldn't have cost more than $150-200 thousand?"

Condo boards like governments are rarely fiscally responsible. At our gated community we had an auction...donate things you don't need. They raised over $4000. They used the money to buy gym equipment and a large screen TV for an area above the clubhouse. Hardly anyone uses it....would have been better spent actually paying for pool repairs or a fund to fix something. Would have been better to donate it to a charity, almost anything than a room full of gym stuff no one is using.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

Re: Condos

If we ever get to Florida we'll have to decide if we want to locate in a gated community. The BIL's condo community that we have used is non-gated and that seems just fine but people keep telling me that security gates are essential. It would be nice to have that extra security but from Mike's story it sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Any opinions?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@roadburner said:
    I've redeemed more than a few $25(or more) gifts for test drives. I've always been up front with respect to my intentions. Most dealers just go ahead and fill out the form and I'm on my way, but I've run across a couple of sales guys who were obviously mad at me for having the temerity to redeem my offer...
    And note that I never went to a dealer during peak hours- weekday early afternoons were the rule.

If it's $25 and above, I'm rolling into a dealership and telling them I'm only there to get their "test drive" incentive. I also make it clear, I'm not in the market. All of them have been plenty gracious enough to validate the perk for me.

I think the biggest one I got was $75 a couple of years back to test drive a Lincoln (I didn't do the test drive, but did stop in for the perk).

If somebody's giving away free money, I'm on it. I don't have a tinge of guilt. There's no reason to.

They're trying to get me into their showroom. I oblige. Mission accomplished.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    edited January 2014

@driver100 said: ...Would have been better to donate it to a charity, almost anything than a room full of gym stuff no one is using.>

What is it with you and things concerning fitness? I guess growing up in cold climates, on the other side of the border, does that to people. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

@oldfarmer50:...
    If we ever get to Florida we'll have to decide if we want to locate in a gated community

Oldfarmer, it all depends where you buy your condo. If you want to live on or near a large city (Tampa, St. Petersburg, Miami/Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Orlando, Palm Beach, Jacksonville, etc.), it's almost a necessity for not just security, but also privacy.

On the other hand, if you buy in a relatively smaller area or more isolated from crime areas, I would think it would not be necessary. It's the same just about everywhere because in larger population areas, crime becomes a factor. When I lived in California, just about all apartment, condo and private home communities are gated.

It's no longer a snob appeal option - but rather a necessity. Also with secured entrances internal security becomes easier to manage. We have over 4000 people living in our gated community - and we have a golf course, 20 tennis courts, and 3 community pools. In addition, every village (5 four story buildings) has their own Olympic size pool.

2021 Genesis G90

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Re: Condos

If we ever get to Florida we'll have to decide if we want to locate in a gated community.

Just my experience, but, if you are living here full time and don't mind looking after your own place, you may as well buy in a non-gated community. Personally, I would get an alarm system just because it may scare off some of the more unskilled criminals.

If you are here for only part of the year, or aren't able, or don't have the desire to do your own maintenance, you can't beat a condo development, probably gated. We are in a gated community but no one is there to stop you at the gate. However, there are 76 units (one story or 1 story and loft) and narrow windy roads and the neighbors can see most of the cars coming in or out. There is a patrol car that drives through a few times during the night. There are few incidences of theft.

Some people think $360 a month maintenance is a lot, compared to having your own place. I think it is well worth it. For that we get all the lawn and trees looked after, insurance for outerwalls, new roof when needed, pest control, community swimming pool, clubhouse, exercise equipment????, nice neighbors who will look in on our house once a week. Also, I think there is more safety in numbers.

If you are thinking of buying, keep in mind, living inland could save you 50 to 66%. I prefer to be inland. When we thought about why we want to be in Florida for the winter it is mainly to be out of the snow, ice and cold. All the things we like to do we can do inland, at much lower costs.

Other things to look for are; best to live where a lot of the people are there all year. About half the people in our development are here all year. They have a stabilizing affect and can watch your home for you. Just my opinion, but, I think a development that has been there and is established is less risky in most cases. It is nice to have a home built to your specs, but, it is nice to know how the community will be down the road.

I am not an expert but, I love the Snowbird concept. It is nice to leave the snow and cold behind. You feel so good in the warm sun, having great day trips and activities, great restaurants and very reasonable prices, lots of green plants including palm trees.

I just read that Tampa is going to overtake New York State to become the 3rd largest state in the country sometime this year. I have seen intersections where two lanes can turn left on the green arrow. The other day I saw an intersection and there were 4 lanes turning left - traffic is also booming.

I think of Florida as Disney World for adults, you pretty much can do what you want when you want to do it.

@jmonroe said:
    What is it with you and things concerning fitness?

Hey, I play tennis 3X a week for 2 hours at a time.....and in Florida that can be in 80 or 90 degree temperature. And I do weight stuff 3X a week. I have nothing against fitness - I just don't see the use of all this gym equipment being stored in a room. On the other hand, if I get into a disagreement with my better half, I could go over there and watch that TV and take out any frustration on the treadmill.

@graphicguy said:

If somebody's giving away free money, I'm on it. I don't have a tinge of guilt. There's no reason to.They're trying to get me into their showroom.

GG not as bad as many things, but, I don't think it is being fair to the business owner. We all know why he is offering $75 to test drive a car, say a Lincoln. If you are in the market for something similar he wants to convert you to his brand. I'm not saying it is putting you in the same class as an axe murderer or something.....it is just pushing the "what is fair" envelope a little. Although, when it comes to getting something for nothing there are few boundaries.

Personally, I would be glad to test the car and take the money if there was even a 5% chance I may buy the car being tested. If it was a car I would not consider buying then I just don't have it in me to take advantage of a business owner in that way.

I have been in the dealers situation. We needed retail customers in the early days, for my book business. To get the books into a store I gave them their first order of 40 books for free. At $5 each they could make $200....I was hoping they would see how fast the books would sell and then use that money to buy more. It worked 98% of the time. Sometimes there would be a guy who would just want to keep the money, and I would take the remaining books out. It was my guaranty that they would never lose with me. Most of my clients were loyal and appreciated the way they were treated. I wrote off the ones who just kept the money as the cost of doing business.....but, I don't think it was a nice thing for them to do.

GG, how is the new car?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

I still think that the test drive certificates are just another form of advertising, and one of the few that guarantees a body in the store. Which really is the holy grail. And plenty of "I am not in the markets" drive off in new cars they weren't expecting to!

I think the debate is missing the point. Going in to get your gift for looking is fine. The remuneration system for dealerships and salesmen is what needs work.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@driver100:....Some people think $360 a month maintenance is a lot, compared to having your own place. I think it is well worth it.

We pay $432 a month for maintenance, which is outrageous in my opinion. Besides maintaining a 100 employee security department (we have 4000 residents and 2000 apartments), we have a 50 employee grounds maintenance crew. We have our own nursery and our own painting department. The main road on our condo community is over 2 miles in circumference and connects all the villages. We have a country club and a restaurant.

I would prefer living in a townhouse with a 1 car garage - but Dad refuses to move. Our apartment is 23 years old and desperately needs a kitchen, 2 bathroom and flooring redecorating and remodeling, but Dad refuses to put a dime into the place. When he passes on, I will have to redo everything - probably at a cost of $20,000. But the condo is only worth about $75,000. I will try go just unload it and I may just buy a small townhouse about 75 miles north of here if not on the west coast on the gulf side.

But, right now I am between a rock and a hard place.

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

@stickguy said:
    I still think that the test drive certificates are just another form of advertising, and one of the few that guarantees a body in the store. Which really is the holy grail. And plenty of "I am not in the markets" drive off in new cars they weren't expecting to!

I think the debate is missing the point. Going in to get your gift for looking is fine. The remuneration system for dealerships and salesmen is what needs work.

I've been lured into dealerships on a couple of occasions with free stuff.

First was a Toyota dealership. At the time (mid 90's) I was traveling quite a bit and flew United exclusively. They sent me a certificate that would credit my mileage account with 500 points for a test drive of a new Toyota. Took an Avalon out - nice car, but made it very clear that I wasn't in the market. No muss, no fuss.

Second time was just a couple of years ago. Got an offer for a free Odyssey putter if I test drove a Jaguar. Went to the dealership - they weren't interested in giving me a test drive (cuz I drove up in a 5 year old Saturn? How pretentious of them) but did complete the paperwork for the putter.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited January 2014

@stickguy said:
    . The remuneration system for dealerships and salesmen is what needs work.

That is probably true. I guess it pays off or they wouldn't keep doing it. It would be interesting to know how it pays off....that is what percentage of people who collect actually buy, or recommend that car to someone who buys.

As a BMW and Audi owner, I was a passenger in a new MKZ and I think of it as a slightly fancier Fusion, which is really all it is. It is a good car, but not enough there to make me want to change. I guess they have more chance of converting an Impala owner, or a Chrysler 300 owner, maybe that is who they are targeting.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    Second time was just a couple of years ago. Got an offer for a free Odyssey putter if I test drove a Jaguar. Went to the dealership - they weren't interested in giving me a test drive (cuz I drove up in a 5 year old Saturn? How pretentious of them) but did complete the paperwork for the putter.

Gee, I bought a Jag and all I got was floor mats! Well, and a neat "Leaper" key chain on each key fob...Oh, yeah. And car payments...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@abacomike said:
    besides maintaining a 100 employee security department (we have 4000 residents and 2000 apartments), we have a 50 employee grounds maintenance crew.

There are some large developments in Florida, such as The Villages near Ocala. They have 3 movie theatres, Village Squares, gym facilities, golf courses, shopping, concerts and live entertainment etc. The population is over 50K, it is up over 500% since 2000.

But, even 4000 residents and 2000 apartments in one community sounds like a lot to me. I would say you need some co-owners to make a community, but the fewer the better generally. My BIL's park has 120 units and I think that is getting close to the max. 2000 units is like a small village, and one security person for every 20 people sounds like they are overdoing it a bit, not to mention 50 grounds people. Since they sound like employees your community may be paying for their benefits etc. Seems it would be more manageable to be living in a smaller community where you just hire what you need, when you need it.

I know you are stuck because your father doesn't want to move, which is understandable. Hopefully you can find a place more suitable for you once you are on your own.

Driver, isn't your A4 just a fancy Jetta?

@stickguy:...

I don't necessarily think that this debate is missing the point, stickguy. From what I've read in all these posts, there are several issues that have been raised:

*Is it wrong for someone to go into a place of business to accept a gift (gift card, golf putter, US Bond, Waterford Chrystal candy dish, etc.) knowing full well he/she has no interest in the product or service?

*Is it fair to expect the salesman to accommodate these people knowing ahead of time most will not buy the product or service?

*is this fair for the owner to expect his employees to deal with these "moochers" considering that it uses up their valuable, limited time to make a living?

*Isn't this offer of "free stuff" to the public just another form of smart advertising on the part of business?

My answers are these:

NO; YES; YES; YES

I believe all these issues have been raised, considered, and opinions provided by many of us.

I agree with you that if an offer is made for a gift if you come on, you have a right to go in and accept that gift even if you have no intention of buying, whatsoever.

As for the question of morality, is it fair to waste the time of the sales personnel? Yes it is fair - since 5% of the population may end up buying. Besides, a condition of employment is to meet/greet/demonstrate/sell.

Finally, there is no question that this approach to getting more traffic into the showroom or fitness center, etc., is a more efficient use of limited resources for advertising.

Voila....

2021 Genesis G90

My point simply was that the only reason people seemed upset was because of the "hit" to the sales guy. And that is a flaw at the dealer/manufacturer level.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@abacomike

Your entire post is precisely the reason why I could not stand living in my former residence (a condominium). I don't remember the exact numbers, but when I signed the closing documents in December 2003 the approximate common charges were $450. The next month was obviously a new year and the common charges increased from $450 to $570 per month. Then there was a 6 month assessment to repair and renovate the leaking parking structure (they got an estimate of $75,000 and it ended up costing $400,000). So there was an assessment to pay for the ridiculous overage, then there came the electrical remediation due to the building's aluminum wiring, the re-doing of the building facades, terraces, repairs to the swimming pool, new elevators, they HAD to redecorate the lobby (twice), redecorating the hall ways, new hot water tanks, the maintenance "workers" who got double digit raises every year plus all their utilities paid for. Then after all of that, the board decided that since people had gotten used to paying high common charges (at this point, mine had started with a 9) that they would keep the assessment at the level it was so the condo board could "build up its reserves." Besides the obscenely high common charges and assessments, it also cost me over $500 per month to heat my condo (Hotel Type HVAC units, I lived in the back of the building, facing west).

Yes it stinks when something has to be repaired at my house, but at least I am in total control over who fixes it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited January 2014

@stickguy said:
    Driver, isn't your A4 just a fancy Jetta?

Probably said tongue in cheek but.........not really, probably closer to our Passat, but even then it doesn't share very much except the same basic engine 2.0T. The Audi A4 has a longitudinally mounted engine and available full time AWD while the Passat is FWD. Audi is a 6 speed, Passat 5 (both manual). Audi has much more powerful engine. Audi has richer interior, more electronics, and very different balance and feel.

It is a little simplistic to say an A4 is a fancy Jetta. Though there certainly are some similarities they are very different cars, especially if you drive them.

This article will really spell out the differences....even though it was on a wesite from India????
    http://blog.cardekho.com/2012/06/volkswagen-jetta-vs-audi-a4-conflict-two-graceful-luxury-sedans.html

We took the Passat in for it's one year oil change today...it has 2400 miles on it. They changed the oil, rotated tires, inspected the car.........total cost $0. 3 years free maintenance.

edited January 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    when something has to be repaired at my house, but at least I am in total control over who fixes it.

NYC, your experience was unusually bad in your condo. I had lived in a 16 unit condo....only 4 units on each floor, and it was run like clockwork. All the others in my apartment building were seniors and they really tried to save money, because they were on fixed incomes. We did have some assessments like for a leaking roof and to update the elevators, but, I think it was about the most economical living possible.

Condos can be really good or really bad. You really have to choose carefully. That's why I prefer a unit with some history to see what the track record is. Swimming pools, underground garages, replacing balconies can all be expensive propositions - and houses can sometimes be just as bad (real money pits and you aren't paying for things collectively but as an individual - which can be more - consider a pool).

Our Northern home is a detached home on it's own, our Florida place is a condo. Both can be fine...just depends on what suits your needs.

well, the Audi has traditionally been built on the same basic platform as the Jetta/Golf, so IMO it is about the same as saying the Lincoln is just a Fusion.

@stickguy said:
    well, the Audi has traditionally been built on the same basic platform as the Jetta/Golf, so IMO it is about the same as saying the Lincoln is just a Fusion.

I read many reviews that actually say a Lincoln is a gussied up Fusion. Articles like this one, but, there are many more;

autos.yahoo.com/news/2013-lincoln-mkz-review-putting-makeup-fusion-125322980.html

I haven't seen an article that actually calls an Audi a luxury Jetta. Using shared platforms means little...it's engine and interior components that make the differences.
    Some cars with shared platforms;

*Toyota Camry, Avalon, Lexus ES330, TX330, Highlander and Sienna

*Honda Civic, CRV, Element & Acura RSX
    Honda Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline & Acura MDX

• Volkswage Touareg and Porsche Cayenne share a platform, even though both companies are independent of each other.

• The Hummer H3 was built alongside the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups, with which it shared the GMT-355 platform

*Jetta uses the same platform as The Audi A3, TT and the VW Golf, Jetta, Eos, Tiguan,

The A4 shares a platform loosely with the Passat.....but they differ because of the position of the engines.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I may have mentioned this before, but I was commenting on the Car and Driver "Backfires" forum about the new MKZ and the general consensus was that it **IS ** a tarted-up Fusion. A new participant suddenly appeared who challenged every person who said the MKZ was a fancy Fusion- offering to name a number of ways the Lincoln differed from the Ford. I commented that the guy sounded like a shill for Lincoln and lo and behold, Lincoln Boy left the discussion. My opinion is that if you have to explain how your luxury sedan differs from your garden variety family sled you are already in trouble...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    I was commenting on the Car and Driver "Backfires" forum about the new MKZ and the general consensus was that it **IS ** a tarted-up Fusion.

There are lots of articles that say the new MKZ is almost identical to a Fusion under the skin. This article was the best I looked at...it is written in a very enjoyable style, and ends saying the new Lincoln doesn't compete with a Lexus, it competes with another Ford.
    nytimes.com/2013/04/28/automobiles/autoreviews/the-secret-ingredient-is-ford-fusion.html?_r=0

My friend had a Fusion before, and has an MKZ now. I didn't drive them, but, sitting in the passenger seat I would say they feel like the same car, but one is a little fancier. The measurements, placement of the dash, hood, all look the same.

The Passat and the A4 seem like totally different cars....you would never know they shared the same platform. Engines are different, suspension, even positioning...A4 has a long hood and smaller backseat area....Passat has short hood, transverse engine, and passenger compartment is moved up to make a larger rear seat area....they feel like completely different cars.

Update on the lady from Curves.

Remember the lady who was adamant she would go to Curves for the 30 day free trial but wasn't going to join. Well, the 30 days were up and she is going to join. Of the 8 people from one community who took up the free offer, 5 actually joined. So, that is quite a good record, much higher percentage than I would have thought. I think she found out she felt better doing the exercises, and she liked going with her friends and she realized she would miss that if she quit.

Lesson learned. Well, I guess giving a free sample is a good way to test your product. I still think when it comes to money or a gift (like a candy dish), it is still better not to take advantage if you are sure you aren't going to be buying the product. Also, in my experience, when they say you will get something for nothing, you usually end up paying more in the long run...they'll hound you on the phone or with emails.

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

Happy New Year all. I was away for a couple of weeks and I'm back now. The new site didn't remember where I left off, so I'm sure I missed a few thousand posts.

Did I miss anything good? What's the latest on Dishwashers?

@verdugo said:
    What's the latest on Dishwashers?

We've been scorching the ethics of those running condominium associations.

I lived in one near Cincy long ago, and said I'd never be in another PUD community
    nor one charging a maintenance fee. I quickly caught on the realty company supplying
    the brainpower for the association managing wined and dined the few people on the
    board to be reappointed as the management company. The board also didn't follow the
    rules in the book as to the appearance maintenance. The windows all had to have the
    grids to give that colonial look and be rectangular, so people on the board allowed friends
    to add a circular/hexagonal window through the wall for light into a bathroom. Similar
    changes for fences. More corruption than in DC.

I got out just as the original low maintenance fee was set to go up as the association
    took over maintenance of the roads as the builder was finishing out the condos, single-family
    homes, and apartments.

edited January 2014

@driver100 said:
    Update on the lady from Curves.

Remember the lady who was adamant she would go to Curves for the 30 day free trial but wasn't going to join. Well, the 30 days were up and she is going to join. Of the 8 people from one community who took up the free offer, 5 actually joined.

Well, it would appear that you have discovered that offering free limited subscriptions to a fitness business (or any offer of a "freebee") is a great way to advertise your business as well as increase sales.

Dad and I went to the Casino last night for a comped dinner at NYY Steak House - excellent as usual. After dinner, I took advantage of that "freebee" give-away of a Mont Blanc Pen (I never go to those things because of the huge crowds that "mooching"), but when I passed the lounge where it said "Invited Guests", and saw that there were very few people waiting to check in, I decided to give it a try. As I entered, they had Champagne, a buffet with all kinds of sliced ham, meats, cheeses, mini tacos, etc. I took a glass of the bubbly and was immediately escorted to one of the many tables they had set up. It seems that only a very small handful of regulars were invited. They had 5 different pens displayed, 2 fountain pens, a roller ball pen, and 2 ball point pens. The Meisterbrook they had displayed was shorter and narrower than the one I like, so I selected the "fatter" and longer ball point in rose gold and black. They will engrave my name on the pen and I will have to go in an pick it up on January 20th between 7:00 and 9:00 PM (just another way to get you in to the casino, I would imagine).

So, they said they would comp me to another dinner that night, so Dad and I will go for dinner and then pick up the pen.

So I guess I am a "moocher" after all! But my philosophy on this is that I have more than paid for that pen with my gambling losses last year and even this month. The pen I selected has a retail value of $300.00 at the Mont Blanc Store in Boca Town Center, plus another $50.00 for the engraving. Definitely a very nice gift.

2021 Genesis G90

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

@abacomike said:
    bwia:...
    # Help -- Send Money

I sure don't envy you and your family's predicament! To have to spend a week beyond your vacation in Puerto Rico, especially in a "modest hotel" and what seems to be a small amount of money for food can be draining - but I can also think of worse places to be inconvenienced - like Minneapolis, Fargo, Boise, Chicago, New York, Cleveland, Indianapolis, to name a few.

You have to look on the positive side of your situation - things could be lots worse - LOL

Puerto Rico is not that bad after all. I was just joking about my finances since so few small establishments accept American Express. Nonetheless, we are having a good time and a pleasant unplanned second honeymoon.

Meanwhile, some observations about the local car scene here in San Juan: Almost all are painted white and heavily tinted. I must say I was very impressed with the many Cadillac Escalade SUV taxi's around the airport. To the best of my recollection I don't remember seeing them in other cities.

At the Plaza Las Americas, the largest and most upscale mall in Latin America, I saw few foreign automobile upscale brands. I saw only one MB S-class and one BMW 5-series and zero Audi's. There were lots of SUVs and minivans though, most them looking brand new and clean...and white. Based upon the number of vehicles I saw on the roads it would appear that the island was not severely impacted by the recession--although the natives would tell you otherwise.

Finally, we are scheduled to depart San Juan tomorrow afternoon and arrive in Boston around midnight after a brief stopover in Charlotte, NC. Wish me luck!

@bwia said:
    Finally, we are scheduled to depart San Juan tomorrow afternoon and arrive in Boston around midnight after a brief stopover in Charlotte, NC. Wish me luck!

I think your trip will be much better than you think. Weather is supposed be improved in terms of temperatures and snow. I am surprised you couldn't get something into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. There are so many flights every day to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale - like 20 per day. But, it sounds like your second honeymoon worked out just fine.

Have a safe trip home!

2021 Genesis G90

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@abacomike said:
    So I guess I am a "moocher" after all! But my philosophy on this is that I have more than paid for that pen with my gambling losses last year and even this month. The pen I selected has a retail value of $300.00 at the Mont Blanc Store in Boca Town Center, plus another $50.00 for the engraving. Definitely a very nice gift.

In this case, it's not mooching. You're a "high roller" to them and you've paid for that pen and those meals many times over. Heck, the pen probably cost them $75 including the engraving - that's a cheap giveaway in the grand scheme of things. But to you it's a $350 value - not saying that in a bad way. It's marketing and it works.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@bwia said:

Hi: Warming up here, snowed a bit this morning. But, for the Pats game tomorrow night, mucho rain and temp in the 50s!

My one trip to San Juan, PR about 20 years ago, I determined that the National sound of Puerto Rico was...the car alarm! I swear, every 20 minutes a car honking alarm would go off! Other than that, great vacation: nice gente, El Morro, El Yunque, Old San Juan, all enjoyable. Honk, honk, honk...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

I won a Mont Bic Pen once after getting an oil change. It had their logo on it and they practically made me keep it.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

@bwia said:

I can't figure out how to look at the post that this refers, but I'm guessing that flight cancellations forced you to stay down there for a bit longer?

I had to spend 2 extra days in Norway since my Chicago to Sacramento flight was cancelled too. I didn't mind since I was visiting family.

There were lots of Teslas in Norway. I was surprised. My brother said he sees them often.

As for that Puerto Rico mall being the fanciest in Latin America, Santa Fe in Mexico City would disagree. :D

@abacomike said: The pen I selected has a retail value of $300.00 at the Mont Blanc Store

Oh I am not against giveaways. Like I said, I had to do it to get my own business going, and it paid off big time. My books sold in 98% of the stores I placed them in, if I could get them in. Giving the retailer their first order for free paid off many times over during the year. I gave them $60 worth of books one time, and I probably made $500 a year profit from each retailer.

Giveaways also work well at buffets, on cruise ships, and in casinos. They had trips from Vancouver Canada for 3 nights, included flight, room in a major on the strip hotel, and golf for 2 days at $80 a round. They didn't make money on the initial deal...but, they more than got it back with what the vacationers would spend on food and in the casinos. Besides, the casinos do better if the hotel looks full.

I think though, the whole promotion has to be planned carefully. I don't think giving cash to everyone is the best way to sell a car - it brings in the moochers and as you pointed out - often wastes a salespersons time.. But, I guess the organizers can show these events pay off.

Now, are you sure that $300.00 at the Mont Blanc pen isn't a $2 Mont Blank pen?

@verdugo said:
    The new site didn't remember where I left off, so I'm sure I missed a few thousand posts.

>

You're lucky you got on again at all, poor sterlingdog got lost in cyberspace for a few weeks.

Thanks for the update @imidazol97.

@robr2:...
    Heck, the pen probably cost them $75 including the engraving - that's a cheap giveaway in the grand scheme of things. But to you it's a $350 value - not saying that in a bad way. It's marketing and it works.

I looked up the pen style on the Mont Blanc website and saw that the pen sells for $750.00, not including engraving. I will assume the casino gets them for 40% off retail, but that is still a hefty gift, that's for sure. No complaints here!

2021 Genesis G90

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

During the last few days, there have been quite a number of posts on acceptance of free gifts such as gym memberships for a month and cash amounts for trying out new cars. I may as well put in my two cents. I look at it this way. I'm not the one who created these free opportunities, businesses did. I didn't ask for them; businesses asked me to accept them. Whether it's fruit samples at the grocery store, mini loaves of bread at the bakery, free haircut at a new salon, etc., these businesses are counting on me to purchase their products or services. They are smart enough to know that they will lose some and win some. They are taking a chance by using some of their products and/or services to entice me. They also have to use some of their time to wait on me. If I wish to try out a new car for a $75 gift, sample a free loaf of bread, or get a free pedicure, then why not? I don't see it as stealing. They pushed it my way in the first place. It's called "marketing" and I'm the consumer. We're both taking a chance that I'll purchase the product or service. Maybe so, maybe not. Guilt? Does the business feel guilty that they are trying to such you in to make a purchase? Of course they don't. Should I feel guilty that I took advantage of their free offers? I don't think so.

Richard

@sterlingdog...
    Should I feel guilty that I took advantage of their free offers? I don't think so.

Richard, I believe that even driver has finally come to the same conclusion. I personally despise the lines of "gimme, gimme, gimme" people who push and shove and grab in order to be first in line to get their freebees - I see it at the casino, at the supermarkets, and at the car dealerships where I worked.

The right of a business to offer an incentive to people to come into their business establishment is obvious. The right of an individual to partake of that incentive is also obvious. It's their behavior and insensitivity that I cringe at!

2021 Genesis G90

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

"I want it all and I want it now and oh yeah, I want it free !" Words to live by for some.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952

Interesting development on the job scene but all the i's haven't been dotted yet though the t's have been crossed. Looks to be a done deal though.
    Drove a fairly new Dodge Durango yesterday and was very happy with the vehicle. Dodge/Chrysler is making some very nice vehicles of late which are a pleasure to drive and economical. Drove through some torrential downpours but the Durango handled the wet and puddles like a champ never skidding or hydroplaning once. I did have to lower my speed a lot due to the conditions and the other drivers who had some issues from what I could see. Folks put on their emergency flashers, illegally, and just act stupid. Luckily I was very defensive and missed a few potential accidents where I would not have been at fault. Again I was lucky to have a very good vehicle for the emergency maneuvers I was forced to take. Good job Dodge!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@jayrider:....
    "I want it all and I want it now and oh yeah, I want it free !" Words to live by for some.

As the Lion in the "Wizard of Oz" would respond:

"Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?"

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.