Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited January 2014

@driver100 said:
    What happened to the "delete" feature?

Looks like the only choice is to change what you wrote in the post you don't want OR
    just delete it and leave it empty, almost empty. Once posted, program won't allow deletion completely. So I left a "." in the post box.

The good news is we have 4 hours to change our posts. :grin

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 2014

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

@imidazol97 said:Looks like the only choice is to change what you wrote in the post you don't want OR just delete it and leave it empty

OK, I wrote it, was going to delete it and change it, but I didn't have any of my usual clever comments to make.........so just wanted to delete it. Next time I'll think of some quip I can use to substitute.

Is it easy to put a picture in the upper left...as explained about the dashounds? I can get to upload picture but how do I get my picture uploaded (I think that's the right jargon).

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

@abacomike said:

Mike, add me to that list. I had no idea there was such a big market for pre-owned Rolexes.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    I am not so sure about that.

Sorry driver. It's still too close to the New Year to break my resolution to not get into silly arguments with you.

So yes, a 2-year older $100k car will have the same safety technology than your wife's A4.

• Options
    edited January 2014

• Options

@driver100 said:
    I am not saying a $50 watch is exactly the same as a $10K Rolex, but, they all basically work on the same principle in their category, mechanical-self-winding-quartz.

Driver makes an excellent point and he's absolutely correct. And following his logic, a BMW is the same as a Scion since both of their engines work on the same principle.

Driver, think of all the money you'll save when you get the "feeling of the road" from a Kia! You'll be able to buy a brand new Rolex for yourself and your wife (and maybe one for Fezo too.)

• Options
    edited January 2014

@driver100 said:

Is it easy to put a picture in the upper left?

Find a picture you like from something you took or something you find in the public domain on the internet. Load it onto your computer. Must be on your computer.

Then in Profile on left, choose to change picture. Then delete the one you have. Then choose the Browse button to go to where you saved graphic on your computer. Click to upload and move the new one from your computer to Edmunds.

For prepping the picture, it will help if you can use a graphics program to crop the original or to make changes to brightness/contrast to make it show better.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @verdugo...Driver, think of all the money you'll save when you get the "feeling of the road" from a Kia! You'll be able to buy a brand new Rolex for yourself and your wife (and maybe one for Fezo too.)

Verdugo, tell me the truth - are you having spirits before, during and after dinner? You are way too funny tonight!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Re: aluminum F-150s

Just had this discussion at work with two Ford owners.

Tell your young friend you can't plow with an F150, so don't worry.
    You need an F250 or higher.
    It's due to the electric power steering used in the F150.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@sterlingdog said:
    With the millions of cars for sale each day in this country, who can say that a slightly used one isn't as good as a new one?

I will agree with that, the ragtop we bought used (one model year old) has served us well over the last five years. Plan to keep it another five.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    I may be a bit late to this discussion.

I have one watch - Citizen Eco-Drive (silver with blue face)

I have one car - Hyundai Elantra GT (silver with black interior)

Does one really need more?

No, no one needs more, but people do want more. There is the difference.

• Options

@sterlingdog said:
    Michaell, you have the dog symbol for your name. I wish that I had that one because it would match my name tag. I'm sure that if Edmunds switched our tags, my dues would go through the roof. :)

You could always steal it. ;)

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Well it's how you put the whole thing together that counts. Aluminum is more subject to fatigue than steel, and more susceptible to abrasion as well. The first commercial jetliners met with a number of disaster related to fatigue---they weren't designed right. I don't think jetliners would do real well off-roading :)

The first commercial jetliner was the de Havilland DH 106 Comet, that had the nasty little habit of falling out of the sky. The main culprit was the design of the windows (who would have thought that windows would lead to crashes) The shape of the windows caused them to fail and with that came structural failure.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506

@graphicguy said:
    BTW....something that's always bothered me, since I've been to the U.K. quite a bit for work, and watch the Brittish Top Gear show quite a bit, too. Why do the Brits pronounce a.lu.mi.num with an extra syllable...or, as "al.u.mi.ni.um"?

Well, it's because it's actually spelled (spelt in England) differently in much of the world -- there is the extra i.

The reason gets pretty pedantic, having to do with which dictionaries said what when Al became cheap enough to come into common use. Back in the day it was more valuable (or at least more expensive) than gold. Once it became common, the need to spell the word became an issue, and there was a variety of opinions.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited January 2014

@abacomike said: As for strength, if a Boeing 787 can fly for 18 hours through turbulence and many, many landings using aluminum alloys,

Actually, the 787 has more composite (that'd be carbon fiber/plastic) construction than anything Boeing has ever produced before. There's still quite a lot of aluminum, but better examples would be any Boeing 7X7 but the 787.

But, beyond that nit, I agree completely. From the B17 through the B29 to the 747 Boeing has shown that aluminum (or aluminium) is in it for the long haul, but it does have to be properly maintained to avoid the ravages of corrosion.

When we hit an air "pocket" over the Pacific a couple of decades ago in a 747 coming back from Japan and dropped several thousand feet before regaining smooth flight, I was extremely happy to be in a Boeing product. I happened to be in first class, and trans-pac first class flight attendants are older than dirt and have more seniority than God -- her eyes were the size of saucers.

"If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going" is a noble objective, but I find I have to ride in Airbus stuff much more of late, sadly. Those guys lost the war that Boeing helped win.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

Alan Mulally, Ford CEO, came from Boeing to Ford. My '02 Explorer has an aluminum hood. Still has all the paint on it, except for one chip. If people are worried about the bed, spray in a bed liner to protect it.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@abacomike said:

@abacomike said:
    verdugo...Driver, think of all the money you'll save when you get the "feeling of the road" from a Kia! You'll be able to buy a brand new Rolex for yourself and your wife (and maybe one for Fezo too.)

Verdugo, tell me the truth - are you having spirits before, during and after dinner? You are way too funny tonight!

LOL. Nah, have finally learned not to argue with driver. There's no point, so I might as well have fun.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Frame will be steel though. Ford says they beat the crap out of these trucks in testing, so I guess it's all good!

Of course, they said that about My Ford Touch also... :s

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    E85 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I noticed on the inside of my fuel-filler door (on the label) that E85 fuel can be used. What does that refer to? Anyone know?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2014

@verdugo said:. Nah, have finally learned not to argue with driver. There's no point, so I might as well have fun.

Good, because you will never win!

Note the new picture with help from imidazo. It is intentionally not too clear - don't want stalkers.
    I even got 10 points for making me more interesting by adding a picture.

• Options
    @verdugo...Mike, add me to that list. I had no idea there was such a big market for pre-owned Rolexes.

Actually, there is an active market for pre-owned Rolex watches. When I bought my 2012 Rolesor model, I traded in my 2002 Date-Just model and they gave me $4400 for the trade (originally cost me $6500). The price of gold had something to do with it, of course, but there are many Jewelers who sell pre-owned upscale watches and you will find a ton of them on E-Bay.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

Late to the conversation, but I'm a watch lover too. I have an Invicta, Tissot, Movado, and two Citizen Eco drives (plus quite a few cheaper ones). I almost never wear the Movado for fear of scratching it all up. I'm left handed, but still wear my watch on my left arm so I'm hard on them.

As for Aluminum hoods, they've been doing it awhile. My 1989 Town Car had an Aluminum hood.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@jmonroe said:
    I’m not sure why you use Amana, GE and KitchenAid as examples of “great products”. I’ve owned all of them at one time or another and they were all pretty much the same regarding quality.

Many of those companies outsource the manufacturing of their small appliances (and maybe their larger ones) and the manufacturer of one companies blender may also manufacture other companies blenders using the same parts and in rare cases may even make the exact same appliance for more than one company with only the color and name being different.

• Options

@verdugo said:
    Driver, think of all the money you'll save when you get the "feeling of the road" from a Kia! You'll be able to buy a brand new Rolex for yourself and your wife (and maybe one for Fezo too.)

Well with that Rolex he will get the feeling of the minute hand passing over the face of the dial.

The differences in technology between a Kia (I really can't believe they named a car after the military acronym for "Killed In Action") and a BMW is far greater than the technological differences between a good $50 watch and a Rolex.

• Options

@abacomike said:
    E85 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I noticed on the inside of my fuel-filler door (on the label) that E85 fuel can be used. What does that refer to? Anyone know?

E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas, it costs less but expect to get up to 25% less mileage.

• Options
    edited January 2014

@abacomike said:
    E85 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN? :s

Your car will run on 15% gasoline mixed with 85% ethanol. Commonly called FlexFuel capable. B)

• Options
    @snakeweasel...E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas, it costs less but expect to get up to 25% less mileage.

@ imidazol97...Your car will run on 15% gasoline mixed with 85% ethanol. Commonly called FlexFuel capable.

Why would I want to put that mixture into my Mercedes CLS 550 BiTurbo? To burn 85% enthanol in a car like mine would be a sin - I know jet engines run on a kerosene mixture, but an internal combustion engine is not designed to burn mainly alcohol. Not only that, what about the resulting corrosion it would cause?

Maybe I read the label wrong. Maybe it can burn 15% ethanol - but 85% ethanol sounds outrageous. I'll look again - something smells fishy here.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

You were interesting anyway. But glad you got a pic uploaded as your profile pic. Kind of sets you apart from the anonymous icons.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

Abacomike --- You don't want to put anything but premium [high test -- super ] in your car. The exception might be just before you list it on Craigs List.

• Options
    @jayrider...You don't want to put anything but premium [high test -- super ] in your car. The exception might be just before you list it on Craigs List.

That's what I figured. I've been using Chevron 93 octane with Techron. I'm getting better mpg's with Chevron. When I used Shell 93, I was getting about 1.5 mpg's less, for some reason. So I'm going to stick with Chevron.

Car has 1500 miles on it and combined city/highway I'm getting 20.5 mpg's and 28.3 mpg's at 65 mph on the highway. It's stop and go driving that burns the gas.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@abacomike said:
    Why would I want to put that mixture into my Mercedes CLS 550 BiTurbo? To burn 85% enthanol in a car like mine would be a sin - I know jet engines run on a kerosene mixture, but an internal combustion engine is not designed to burn mainly alcohol. Not only that, what about the resulting corrosion it would cause?

Maybe I read the label wrong. Maybe it can burn 15% ethanol - but 85% ethanol sounds outrageous. I'll look again - something smells fishy here.

You may have read the label wrong but if it states E85 the engine is designed to take up to 85% ethanol. I did a little research but I couldn't see anywhere that stated that the CLS can take E85. Is your gas cap yellow? Does it say "Flex Fuel" anywhere on the body of your car? If so you can use E85.

• Options
    @snakeweasel...Is your gas cap yellow? Does it say "Flex Fuel" anywhere on the body of your car? If so you can use E85.

Nope, gas cap is black and says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY". It's the label on the inside of the door - maybe it said 15% ethanol and I read it wrong.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2014
    DUCK DYNASTY

I was following the news stories about Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty and his comments that stirred up lots of controversy.

Then I noticed the new season started tonight - so I decided to tune in and see what all the hooplah was about concerning their show, "Duck Dynasty"!

The show is so corny that I found myself laughing out loud at some of the conversations and situations they get themselves into. I hate to admit it, but considering what else is on TV tonight, it's a blast!!!

I guess the adverse exposure from Phil's comments caused at least one additional idiot (me) to get hooked on this reality show. Good grief!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@abacomike said:
    E85 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

E85 is fuel that contains up to 85% ethanol.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

@tjc78 said:
    Late to the conversation, but I'm a watch lover too. I have an Invicta, Tissot, Movado, and two Citizen Eco drives (plus quite a few cheaper ones). I almost never wear the Movado for fear of scratching it all up. I'm left handed, but still wear my watch on my left arm so I'm hard on them.

I have a Tutima, which I doubt anyone here has heard of, but I like it. Since I go to Switzerland a few times a year for work, I get a lot of window-shopping in. Also like Fortis and IWC, though not so much the newest ones.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options

@snakeweasel said:The differences in technology between a Kia (I really can't believe they named a car after the military acronym for "Killed In Action") and a BMW is far greater than the technological differences between a good $50 watch and a Rolex.

Thank you Snake...............that's what I have been trying to say for about a week now. Just because someone pays $10K for a watch, doesn't mean it will keep that much better time than the $50 watch....even if it lost 5 seconds more a year - it isn't a life changer.

I think I will copy your reply and quote Verdugo back...I don't think he understands!

• Options

@verdugo said:

Verdugo, Read Snake's reply (he is an expert on watches). You are right, you can never win.

_Well with that Rolex he will get the feeling of the minute hand passing over the face of the dial.

The differences in technology between a Kia (I really can't believe they named a car after the military acronym for "Killed In Action") and a BMW is far greater than the technological differences between a good $50 watch and a Rolex._

• Options

@abacomike said:
    Nope, gas cap is black and says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY". It's the label on the inside of the door - maybe it said 15% ethanol and I read it wrong.

Yeah your car most likely isn't able to take the E85. I have looked around the internet and found nothing that would even lead me to even think it might be.

Cars that can take E85 usually have a badge on it that says either "FFV", "Flex Fuel" or "Flex fuel Vehicle" on them much the same way hybrids have "Hybrid" on them. They are built to take the much higher amount of ethanol in their fuel. however since ethanol isn't as energy dense as gas you get worse gas mileage so even though it costs less your miles per dollar will most likely go down.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2014

HOW J.D. POWER TRANSFORMED THE AUTO INDUSTRY

“In 1968, J.D. Power took the radical step of soliciting customer feedback about cars through consumer surveys. In a recent interview, Power discussed the company’s origins with Wharton’s John Paul MacDuffie.”
    http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/j-d-power-iii-transformed-auto-industry/

Here is an excerpt.

MacDuffie: Ford is in the news these days for quality complaints about SYNC and MyFord Touch. Mercedes has the issue with the S-Class. It’s a repeated story, and it would show up in your surveys, of course. What are your thoughts on the challenges from both the automaker and the consumer side of bringing in this new technology?

Power: There are about 5% or 10% of buyers who want that advanced information. The 90% that don’t are the ones who complain.

MacDuffie: What about the whole issue of direct sales from the manufacturer to the customer through the Internet? There are state laws that mostly prohibit that now. Do you see those going away? Or is their lobby too strong?

Power: The lobbying is very difficult for dealers today. What has happened is the consumer has more information than the dealer. They control the market. It is going to be determined by them. It is going to determine what the manufacturers have to build to remain competitive. It is the customer in charge. The change has happened over the last 10 years, and it is only going to [intensify]. The customer gets instant information. It is amazing. They don’t want to sit down and haggle a price. They want it done. They are going to demand change

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@abacomike said:
    DUCK DYNASTY

I guess the adverse exposure from Phil's comments caused at least one additional idiot (me) to get hooked on this reality show. Good grief!!!

I can’t get into all this reality really non-reality TV. I can’t remember the last time I watch any of it.

I watch a lot of ME TV; never thought I could watch black and white TV so much. Reruns of Perry Mason, Untouchables, Fugitive (although some of those are in color) to name a few suit me just fine.

I seem to remember that you said you got ME TV and that your Dad also likes it.

There are always choices. For me I’d rather wax the Genny in a cold garage than watch insulting reality TV.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited January 2014

@abacomike said:

Mike - what does the manual say about fuel requirement?

If it can take E85, then the engine and components are designed to run on it. It should not cause any issues. BTW, cars all over the world have IC engines that burn 100% alcohol. In Brazil it's quite popular.

Some folks use E85 in cars capable of using it for numerous reasons:

it's cheaper even though it drops fuel economy, it lessens reliance on oil, and it supports farmers.

BTW - I don't support the use of it.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@robr2 said:
    BTW - I don't support the use of it.

My former Chevy Tahoe could use E85. As mentioned, it is cheaper, but it also significantly dropped my (already dismal) MPG, too. I remember a couple of times I did a compare/contrast between the difference in cost of E85 vs regular fuel. Using E85 was actually a little more expensive.

The biggest reason I don't care about E85 is you can't find it. The nearest station I could find that had it was 45 minutes away from me.

If I thought it would be widely adopted, and using it would finally break the big oil companies (which will happen anyway), I'd make the sacrifice.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Had this conversation last night with my best friend. We were talking about the new Acura TLX that will be coming late this year.

He knows I'm a BMW and Acura fan. He asked me what I thought of the new TLX. I told him from the photos, I really liked it. But, it will be at least another 2-3 years before I'll look at one seriously.

That segued into a discussion about the car industry overall. I claimed that since I've had my license (late '70s), this is my golden age of the car industry. They've never been more powerful, more fuel efficient, safer, and generally better looking, than at any other time since I've been driving. And, the future looks even brighter for the industry given the rise of electrics, the prospect of hydrogen cars, and the continuing rise in power and efficiency.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:You were interesting anyway. But glad you got a pic uploaded as your profile pic. Kind of sets you apart from the anonymous icons.

It's made me even more fascinating and even my friends have noticed I have become more intelligent since posting my picture.

• Options

@bwia said:
    HOW J.D. POWER TRANSFORMED THE AUTO INDUSTRYThey don’t want to sit down and haggle a price. They want it done. They are going to demand change

Interesting comments bwia. I saw an ad on TV today for a dealer - I think Toyota or Honda and they said they will have you in and out the door with a new car in 15 minutes....no haggle!

It seems that buyers and dealers will have to find a better solution to the buying process. I guess you could look at all makes of cars at auto shows or at a shared dealer site. Then you can order your cars from amazon (delivered via drone) or from a central car buying office, online or by phone.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It's not just the dealer lobby, though. The franchise system was created by the manufacturers themselves. Most of them WANT it that way.

• Options
    tcp2tcp2 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2014

For the record, the F150's hood has been aluminum (aluminium?) since, at least, 2009. Correctly manufactured aluminum alloys will hold up as well or better than steel. More interesting than the aluminum panels is the proposed 2.7l turbo six they have slated for the 2015. Seems to have run the baja 1000 already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVpum995jo

Word on the street is it is rated for 320hp and 350-370lb/ft of torque. The frame is now made of high strength (70k psi) steel on all models.

• Options

WE DON'T EXPECT SYMPATHY FROM THE NORTHERN FOLK

Temperatures are currently in the mid 50's with winds from the NW at a sustained 30 mph - giving us a wind-chill in the 30's right now. Tonight, lows in the mid 30's with winds from the NNW at 20-30 mph. Freeze warnings are out for the entire state of Florida.

My point - it's darn cold down here, that's for sure. No break in the 30's and 40's until Sunday. For southern Florida, THAT'S COLD! But no sympathy needed - we SHALL SURVIVE!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@robr2 said:
    BTW - I don't support the use of it. (E85 Fuel)

I took a look at the label again this morning - it says I can burn up to 15% ethanol - so I was wrong about the label. I don't think there are any gas stations around here that have that much ethanol in their gas. 10% seems to be the rule of thumb.

I was just concerned, even with 15% ethanol - I read somewhere that the alcohol in the fuel plays havoc with fuel lines - causes corrosion, etc. I also read that the only reason we continue to have ethanol in gasoline in this country is because of the "green" movement and the "farmers lobby" that produce the grain/corn, etc., for the production of the ethanol. If ethanol was dropped from gasoline, the price of gas would decrease because of the cost of the production of the ethanol.

However, IMHO, if we can reduce emission through the use of ethanol, we should continue its use.

I also understand that there is a movement afoot to increase the federal gasoline tax by 18 cents per gallon in order to pay for road improvements, repairs and bridge repairs/replacement. I have no objections to that ONLY IF THE MONEY GOES FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSES! Too often when more money is pumped into the federal government it is not necessarily spent on its intended purposes.

Look at Social Security - the Federal Government has borrowed trillions from the fund and has no intention of paying it back. And we wonder why there is a shortfall in Social Security coming down the pike. Congress intends to raise Social Security taxes to cover some of the gap. But if the feds would just pay what it owes to the Social Security Trust Fund, Social Security would be solvent.

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.