Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Prices Paid

1141516171820»

Comments

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I have the new Mitsubishi 2014 Outlander brochure and to my disappointment it still appears that it does not treat US customers with respect.

European countries including Russia, Japan, Australia, etc by law all car with HID/xenon headlights “must” have a headlamp washer and an automatic self-leveling mechanism. Well the “New” Mitsubishi Outlander 2014 does not have any of these technologies, although, these technologies have been going on for more than 8-years in other parts of the world.

This stuff is not difficult to install. Mass production of these two items perhaps does not cost more than $20 each. Why Mitsubishi US does not do something that may cheer up new customers. Four cylinder 2.0 liters engines nowadays are producing more than 240 HP at less RPM than the Outlander 230 HP 3.0 liters. It is a disappointment indeed. .

The Outlander 3.0 Liter needs a better engine. Equally the US and Canada are lagging in applying safety measures already opted for in Europe by a false sense of pride.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    It seems you have two complaints:

1. Self-leveling lights w/washers.
    2. Engine offerings.

WRT item 1, I doubt many would be willing to pay for those features. The most common use patterns for CUVs don't involve situations where self-leveling is really that much of an advantage over the manual adjustment. Few people actually tax the suspension with a heavy cargo load and if they do it;s likely to be during the day when hauling goods from the local home improvement store.

I think you could make a much stronger case for directional headlights that swivel left/right as the vehicle is turning instead.

Headlight washers remains something of a premium feature in the US. Perhaps the next refresh will add them as premium features trickle down to the mainstream but it may take others in the segment offering them to convince Mitsu to make it available. Who in the segment offers them now (non-luxury brands)? How much are you willing to pay for the feature?

As to engine choices, who in the US sells a 2.0 non-turbo that kicks out 240+HP? Toyota doesn't (2.5L @ 176HP). Honda doesn't (2.4 @ 185HP). Hyundai doesn't (2.4 @ 190HP). Ford's Eco-boot engines are turbocharged.

Really, at least Mitsu still offers a V6. Honda never has in the CR-V. Toyota has dropped it from the RAV4. Hyundai has replaced it with the 264HP 2.0 turbo which, incidentally, gets worse fuel economy than the Mitsu V6. Ford's 2.0 turbo isn't available with AWD.

Oh, and fuel economy with Mitsu's 3L V6 is up by close to 20%.

I still believe the real excitement is the PHEV edition. But I can't get too worked up about it until pricing is revealed.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    edited June 2013
    OK. It appears that more than 2/3 of car manufactured after 2010 with bi-xenon headlights have automatic self-leveling mechanism and jet washer headlamps. The law in the US does not explicitly say that cars with xenon headlights or LED headlights must have washers and self-leveling mechanism. High adventurous manufacturer BMW has not shied away from implementing new features into their cars as for example, BMW X1 SUV which provide all of these features.

Perhaps there is a better opinion but it appears that 2/3 of car drivers’ care about driving safely without endangering viability of oncoming drivers. Road imperfections (e.g. bumps) can direct powerful xenon lights directly onto the oncoming driver’s eyes practically blinding oncoming drivers temporarily. This phenomenon does not happen with halogen headlights. This safety measurement, I believe, will be adopted by law in the US in the near future

Xenon or LED lights are not just a fancy feature. They have been proved that they save energy (fuel) and that point was the main reason of the approval of these features in Europe as well as other areas of the planet. However, because they are 3-4 times more powerful than halogen and in order to protect oncoming drivers from being temporarily blinded by these suns like beams, a headlamp washer and automatic self-leveling mechanism are compulsory in vehicles with xenon or LED headlamps.

In countries with long flat roads (e.g. US, Argentine, Russia, etc) a DRL is compulsory. This measurement is needed, once more, to protect drivers from colliding. I did note the usefulness of the DRL on the very long and flat countryside in Argentine where oncoming cars are camouflaged with the horizon of the countryside. DRL definitely break that camouflaged pattern.
    http://skywire.discovery.com/#sweeps

Mitsu is the exclusive automobile sponsor for the Skywire walk across the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion they're giving away a newly designed 2014 Outlander.

Enter daily to increase your chances of winning.

I'll cross-post this to the Mitsu News thread.
    I was at the dealer this morning for my semi-annual oil change this morning. Also did a tire rotation which I wind up doing about every other oil change based on my relatively low mileage.

While waiting, I ran into my salesman who showed me a Cosmic Blue Metallic '14 Outlander GT. Sticker with destination was just over $35K. As I'm not in the market I didn't ask for a test drive, but here are some impressions after spending about 20 minutes with the car.
    • New grill/front end: Looks nice in person. Not overly aggressive or overly styled like some other carmakers are doing.
    • Overall body: I haven't checked the specs but it looks a little bit bigger. The aero tweaks are there and I think they work well. It's an attractive if, again, less aggressive look.
    • Rear hatch: The split hatch is gone. :cry: But in it's place is a new power hatch so convenience is up overall. There's a small lip, probably under an inch, between the bottom of the opening & the cargo floor.
    • Cargo area: The spare is still underneath so cargo room is not affected. The 3rd row (standard) is greatly improved & simplified. It's no longer a Chinese puzzle to put up/take town. Just grab 1 tether & pull. Headrests are by default detached and store in a small tray under the cargo floor; very easy access & you can use the tray for other items as well. There's a pocket on the right that should hold a gallon of milk & keep it upright. The subwoofer housing is smaller/less intrusive.
    • 3rd row seats: As I said, it's a huge improvement. It's also split so you can seat 6 & still haul a decent amount of cargo.
    • 2nd row: Mixed bag here. It's still split 60/40 and still slides forward and reclines. There's still a center fold-down armrest but it's not quite as nice as the outgoing model. The seats slide forward easily to allow better 3rd row access. The seatbacks now fold flat but the mechanism is more complicated: flip the seat bottom forward, lock the seat in place (lever), remove the headrest, flip the seatback forward. Headrests are conveniently stowed on the flipped forward seat bottom.
    • Front seats: largely unchanged. Seat heater buttons have been moved to the console between the seats so they're easier to press. The arm rest/storage area is basically the same size but is now 1 area (the upper small tray is gone). The AV RCA jacks are gone but the USB & 12V power port remain. The travel tissue holder & pen clip remain as well.
    • Dash & IP: The gauge cluster is pretty similar but the IP & rest of dash have been totally reworked. Everything looks far more upscale. The black plastic trim even has some metallic flakes; a nice touch. HVAC controls are dual-zone with easy to operate, logical controls.
    • Stereo & Navi: The Rockford-Fosgate 710 watt unit doesn't get a bump in power but the features & interface have been modernized. The hard drive has been replaced with an SD card slot. Maps are stored on a second (user-accessible) SD card. Radio now does HD and has DTS and other updates. The UI is more attractive, not only the buttons but the on-screen displays. Screen is 6.1"; I'd have preferred 7-8" for the Navi but that's a minor nit.
    • Misc.: We did start the engine; the AC came on strong & cold. The door cupholders are now upright v. angled. The sunroof appears unchanged; some will say too small. The drive mode selector (Tarmac-Snow-Gravel) has been replaced by a button. Front center cupholders are now in front of the shift lever, reducing but not eliminating the storage cubby. Emergency key storage (in case the fob battery dies) is now in the cubby & not the glovebox. Steering wheel controls are better integrated.
    • Adaptive Cruise Control & Lane Departure Warning controls were there so the promised features have been delivered.
    Overall I'd say it's a major upgrade. I'm still waiting for the PHEV edition, which my salesman said would be released in September. He said that the PHEV should command about an $8K premium so I'd have to do the math to see what the payback would be.
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2013
    35K plus tax for an Outtie is getting into the BMW X-1 range.. :( .I'm going to be looking to trade my '07 XLS 4WD for a new ride in January.. I still love my 07 with 80K on the clock however, the trade value will still be good with only 80K because of the transferable 100K drive train warranty...If I can do a deal for a V6 4WD leather at around 31K or so, I will strongly consider purchasing a 2014 Outtie..
    Keep in mind the $35K is for a fully loaded Outlander - AWD, V6, Navi, Sun-n-sound, leather, etc.

The X1 is smaller; the X3 would be the right BMW to compare with and it starts @ almost $40K for a base. That's for their turbo 4 cyl which gets worse gas mileage. There are other differences, like the Outlander's 7 seat capacity and higher payload rating & BMW's use of expensive run-flat tires.

The base Outlander is $23K.
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    Yes, I hear you on the BMW specs...I live in the mountains and a Beemer is a bit too delicate for the use I give to a vehicle...I use my Outtie as a combination 4WD Jeep and a travel machine..The Outtie is tough as nails in the back country and after almost 7 years the only thing that went wrong with my ride so far is the radiator drain plug cracking and coming loose...I hate the third row seating though...I wanted to remove it but it required too much work...Hopefully, they will have a 2014 V6 without the third row seating...
    Well, Mitsu made it standard, probably to help stand apart from some of the competition and to serve as an alternative to those who might otherwise opt for a larger SUV.

And the 14 Outlander's 3rd row is redesigned & much improved. Just pull it up and slap on the headrests if desired. Equally easy to stow. Access to it is better as well since the 2nd row seats slide forward more. Check it out the next time you drive by a dealer.

I think I'd read that the PHEV edition will be a 5-seater as they have to put the battery somewhere. Not the solution you're after but something you might consider, especially if gas/operating costs are a concern.

The only problem my '10 GT has had was an underperforming AC compressor that was replaced under warranty. I should cross 31K miles by the end of the day so I admit I don't rack 'em up that fast but it's reliability is about as good as possible.
  • sierramsierram Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    My dad bought a 14 Outlander SE AWD for $500 over invoice (before fees and taxes) with the 0% finance. Did he get a good deal? He didn't qualify for any of the other discounts.
  • 71alfa71alfa Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2013
    Yes. If the invoice price is a true price. However, that's often used as a sales pitch. You can check the true price on edmunds or other similar sites (Kelly's Blue Book).
    Since it's a "done deal," enjoy the car. Hope he gets many good years out of it as I still am from my '09 XLS, virtually trouble free.... just routine maintenance-brakes, tires, filters, and after 5 years, a battery.
  • sierramsierram Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    You are correct 71alfa

I was mistaken and the deal wasn't actually "done".

I managed to find the true dealer cost for our vehicle and we would've paid $1000 over dealer cost if we stuck to the old dealer.

We managed to get our refund back and another dealer offered to beat their price by about $700. I guess it pays to shop around.

Go to Grava Mitsubishi in Medford, MA if you want a fair and honest dealership.
  • kulku1kulku1 Member Posts: 1

How do I find the invoice price?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

@kulku1 said:
    How do I find the invoice price?

You can use the resources here at Edmunds to determine the invoice price of just about any car by going to the main web site at www.edmunds.com and selecting the make and model of the car that interests you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jimziggjimzigg Member Posts: 62

Did not see and active lease forum so posting here. I live in WI. Looking for Feb residual and MF for a 2014 outlander se. AWD and FWD models with 2.4L engine. 36 mos and 15k per yr. thx

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129

Thanks for the links. Nice to see them tweaking the design though I'll have to reserve judgement until the covers come off.

Still waiting for the PHEV to hit our shores.

Made the final payment on my '10 GT; just waiting for the title to come in now.

My plan is to continue to make 1/2 payments each month to a savings account & use that for all non-gas car expenses & as savings for a down payment on whatever I buy next.

Next up: tires before the first major snowfall.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    Oh sure, trying to make the rest of us feel guilty eh? :) I got zero in the car fund.

Congrats on the payoff!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    For current pricing information, go to 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Prices Paid