Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,864
    edited March 2014

Luckily I am just a driver, not a cleaner. Today, worked from 9 till 7:15 as we are opening a new Hertz location at a local Lincoln dealer so we had to move about 30 vehicles over there. I asked a few times about finishing tomorrow but was told "no" so I committed to my other gig in West Palm Beach. Naturally, about an hour later I get asked if I can work tomorrow! Had to say no since I can't get out of the other one once I say yes. So the powers that be decided to get to work at 6:30 Monday morning to finish up. Just wish someone had listened to me earlier about working tomorrow as I'd have been happy to come in!
    My whole crew speaks Spanish and I don't...has caused some miscommunication especially today when I was halfway to the new Lincoln store with a vehicle that wasn't supposed to go then...I took it later though. I do not know any Spanish so this is going to be very interesting going forward. It is a bit comical though!

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Took today off since I was physically and mentally exhausted...decided to also take tomorrow off so let 5 p m come and go, so thought I was safe. At 7:15 my phone rings and it's the lead driver and turns out they need me tomorrow to come in to Hertz. Since it is my main gig, no way I could say no especially since I wasn't committed in West Palm. So guess my two days off are not to be this week and now must decide if I want to volunteer for Sunday as was the original plan. Saturdays are supposed to be from 9 to 12 except last week when we worked till 7:15 getting the new Hertz office up and running. All in all, I like the new office at Pembroke Pines and have no desire to ever go back to the other one where I was the only driver. Even though I don't understand most of my co-workers, we are getting into a good working rhythm so all is good!

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,739

Saw a rental F150 4 door 4x4 in the building of my garage this morning, and the local Avis/Budget had an Infiniti M37, which is rare but not unknown in fleets.

edited March 2014

Moved new Accords and Civics this morning...we have a Hertz location at the local Honda store and since Hertz bought about 30 new vehicles, we had to get them downstairs onto the lot to be rented out. I like the new Accord...a lot!
    Got called in today though it was my N/S day...took yesterday off as a mental health day and planned the same for today but got the call last evening that my presence was requested at work today and could I PLEASE come in? Sure I said so will do my other gig on Sunday if there is work which with spring break in full swing, I bet they will need me!

• berriberri Posts: 9,946

Been over in Hawaii. Nissan is definitely the king of the rental vehicles, including the new Pathfinder, but there were plenty of Ford's with barcodes including more than a few Focus and new Fusion's (although didn't see any on the Hertz lots). We had 4 adults, so we needed bigger vehicles. Had 3 Hertz rentals while over there. Seems like in Hawaii at least, Hertz has become Dollar or Thrifty instead of the other way around. We had two Dodge minivans and a Chevy Tahoe, and all of them were kind of stripped. The minivans both had a cheap looking black cloth interior. One had a backup camera with no sound, the other had nothing. Now Tahoe's are expensive trucks and I enjoyed driving a V8, but this rental was a 2013 with around 15K miles. It already had a bunch of rattles and no backup camera, just noise when you backed close to something. How much do these cost - I can't believe Chevy makes a model this chintzy for that price. Also, I noted that on one of the Hertz rental slips, the back side had in big letters "featuring Chrysler products". That may drive me back to National and Avis!

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054

@berri said:
    Been over in Hawaii. Nissan is definitely the king of the rental vehicles, including the new Pathfinder, but there were plenty of Ford's with barcodes including more than a few Focus and new Fusion's (although didn't see any on the Hertz lots). We had 4 adults, so we needed bigger vehicles. Had 3 Hertz rentals while over there. Seems like in Hawaii at least, Hertz has become Dollar or Thrifty instead of the other way around. We had two Dodge minivans and a Chevy Tahoe, and all of them were kind of stripped. The minivans both had a cheap looking black cloth interior. One had a backup camera with no sound, the other had nothing. Now Tahoe's are expensive trucks and I enjoyed driving a V8, but this rental was a 2013 with around 15K miles. It already had a bunch of rattles and no backup camera, just noise when you backed close to something. How much do these cost - I can't believe Chevy makes a model this chintzy for that price. Also, I noted that on one of the Hertz rental slips, the back side had in big letters "featuring Chrysler products". That may drive me back to National and Avis!

Best bang for the buck in Hawaii is through Budget rent a car. For four people you can get a Lincoln Towncar for under $100 a day. An ultra smooth luxo cruiser with a trunk so huge you can do 4 golf bags and still have room for luggage.

Hertz bought Dollar/Thrifty sometime last year as far as I know. As of now, we have gotten vehicles from both for our HLE, Hertz Local Edition, lot. Last year, my other company moved a lot of vehicles from Tampa and Orlando for Hertz but this year since the merger, there were less of these trips since hertz now has more vehicles to draw from. Did bring 12 vehicles from Lauderdale to Orlando yesterday for Firefly, another Hertz company, mostly Chevy's and Buick's, that all had mileage under 15k to be sold at auction. Usually I've gone to Jupiter but since sometime last year, we've been going to Orlando.

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,539

@obyone said:

LTC's must be getting a little old for rental car duty. They haven't made them since 2011. Of course, that doesn't matter as they go forever and then some.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

When did you rent that? I haven't seen one of those in a fleet for some time.

However, I did read on another forum that someone got an 11 DTS in Hawaii (maybe Alamo), so they could still be out there.

@obyone said:

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,874

Just rented a Chevy Captiva, so they are a GM car available in the US. I think my Dad's Honda Lawnmower from the 80's had a better engine. GM is doomed with cars like this.

Switched to a Maxima after 2 days of that pathetic excuse for an engine Captiva.

'16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,539

The Captiva is solely made for fleets. No retail sales on those.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

All of my Hawaii rentals were pretty new and lower mileage, just stripped! I can see how there would be some older rentals there. There aren't many highway miles on any of the islands, and there is a lot to do besides driving around. BTW - traffic is frequently awful on the few roads that are there.

The NIssan Maxima Hertz gave me has 54,000 + miles. When the car is past its bumper to bumper warranty, they should make a law that rental companies need to disclose that.

Captiva's are only for fleets in the U S but can be bought as used and are down here in South Florida. Look at Chevy Canada and you will see the Captiva. Drove another one today and they aren't that bad really though I still prefer my Tuscon as I think it has a better and quieter engine. A colleague at Hertz bought a used Captiva from Carmax and got a killer deal actually. Also drove it's sister vehicle today, the Eqinox, and liked it a bit better though it is larger.
    I work at a Hertz HLE location, Hertz Local Edition, which is the same concept as Enterprise and we get vehicles with higher mileage from a separate area in Ft. Lauderdale airport, up on the fifth floor. At Miami, it's a bit different but still vehicles with higher mileage but from what I've heard, the airport charges higher prices and our HLE location does a lot of collision repair rentals which can be a money maker as everyone has a fender bender from time to time and needs a rental. Enterprise used to own that market until Hertz got wise and opened more of their HLE locations. heck, we even have them now in new car dealers and since the purchase of Dollar/Thrifty last year, more locations to pull from. I know from our Southwest Broward location, we regularly go into Miami and it's surrounding areas like yesterday when we worked till 7:30 moving vehicles from location to location.

I've read that Sixt now has Jag XF and 2014 Corvettes. Not bad.

That 54K Maxima sounds like something Enterprise would have. I once had an Enterprise Galant that had I think 45-50K on it - but was actually nicer and cleaner than many 20K rentals I have had. Must have led a lucky life.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,146

"The Captiva is solely made for fleets. No retail sales on those."

Thank you for that. I was the sole arguer of that point on an Edmunds forum a couple years ago.

Avis/Budget had a 528i on the lot, also saw a rental Infiniti Q60 or whatever the minivan thing is.

They have started enforcing the 25 hour rule at work and since I already had 21 hours since Friday, I was sent home yesterday at noon with another driver. Was a bit surprised since one of the drivers quit on Monday and now there are 7 of us left. Found out one of us is guaranteed 40 hours and is full time and another one gets more than 25 also, but I am content with my 25. I will work more if they need me to and I have told them this as I am pretty flexible with my time. The other gig called twice Monday as they needed additional drivers but I couldn't leave just then...Hertz still comes first.
    Off today but need to get some personal stuff done but plan to volunteer tomorrow just in case they need me...also could use the additional funds right now.

Can someone find me a 2014 Audi S4 rental for April 11-13?

I think Fintail would tell you to check out Sixt. May be your best bet. I actually did see two basic Audi sedans in Honolulu, but darn if I can remember which rental lot. They are all kind of just bunched together at that airport across from baggage claim.

Sixt in Germany maybe. Hertz has some tuned cars in their fleet, but the prices can be outlandish. Hertz used to have a fleet of A6 and some Q7, I don't know if they have Audi now.. There's a car rental company called "Silvercar" that only has A4s I think - but they operate in just a few areas.

Damn Fin, you know your rental car companies!

What if I expand my search to include S4 comparables? In my book I'd settle for a BMW 335i, ATS-V, CTS-V, M3, G37S, CLA-AMG, C63, TL-SH-AWD, and lastly an IS350-F Sport.

Am I leaving anything out? I suppose since it's just for a weekend it doesn't need 4 doors, though it can't be a convertible or SUV.

Rentals are something I study, especially since renting in Germany and seeing the awesome fleets there.

For those type of cars, andres, your best bet is Hertz, or an independent specialty place. The Hertz "dream cars" are only at high profile locations. Here's their list

I read on a German site that Sixt now has W205 C-class in the domestic fleet. While they are still months away from intro here. Typical.

Read today that the Volvo V60 is already in the National fleet

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,989

In San Antonio, leased a Focus hatchback for a couple of days, from Avis. Nice car, and 33 mpg.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Oh yeah.. $46, total, including all taxes and fees. For two days

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited April 2014

Thought about you today Kyfdx; drove through KY on the way back toward home and didn't know who had won the game. No one egged the car with our Michigan plates and now I understand why. I suppose all the hardcore fans were over in Indy anyway. :-)

@[email protected] said:
    Thought about you today Kyfdx; drove through KY on the way back toward home and didn't know who had won the game. No one egged the car with our Michigan plates and now I understand why. I suppose all the hardcore fans were over in Indy anyway. :-)

Some of the hard core fans are in Texas. Too bad I can't stay another week, for the Final Four.

Edmunds Moderator