Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@robbieg

Yeah, the hockey bag is big & my son is only 7 1/2. He seems to really enjoy playing. As the kids get bigger, I see people with these body bags. So yes, the pilot will ALWAYS come in handy.

Back in '09 when I was shopping for a replacement for my wife's (leased) 2007 X3, one of the top things on our checklist was "does the double stroller fit in the trunk with room to spare?" I walked into and out of quite a few showrooms because of that (Audi A4 comes to mind). I was actually a "why would I ever buy an SUV when I can buy a wagon that has a car's driving dynamics?" guy. Once I started shopping modern "sport wagons" with their sexy, sloped rear ends, I quickly realized that wagons weren't for us. Oddly enough I ended up with the TSX because its huge trunk swallowed the double stroller.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

Came across this local craigslist listing:

Frankenstein 5-series wagon

Crazy, isn't it? Custom color, custom engine, custom trannie. What could go wrong?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

@breld said:

Crazy, isn't it? Custom color, custom engine, custom trannie. What could go wrong?

That's on BringaTrailer.com . You should get it! :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439

@breld, buy it buy it buy it. I love that thing. Nice return on the build. maybe 25%? only thing I don't like is the big sub in the back, and the tint. Both of which are not a huge deal, and fixable.

never know with these ads, but if this was really done as described, might actually be almost safe since it is all BMW, just a way they never combined parts!

I might like this thing better than a V8 FrankenVolvo wagon!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Pretty neat. Guy musta dumped a boatload into that conversion. I wonder how long it's been running with all the new goodies. So it gets 20-25 mpg if you don't put your foot in--in which case, why would you buy such a car? I'd have my boot into the Boschware about 30 seconds after I paid for it. I'd get like 12 mpg on a good day. :)

12 around town, but just might get the 25 on the highway at 75MPH, with the engine turning over about 1,800rpm in 6th.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761

Wow; overall nicely done, I think. I love that color... and the style of the wagon. My reservation? I don't get why anybody would dump that kind of money into a conversion like this and only have 3,000 miles on it, yet be ready to sell.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Looks like he went heavy on the window tint, too--but that'll come off easy enough with really hot water.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@breld said:

I saw that Touring as well; I did some digging and it seems to be a solid car; The owner of UUC Motorwerks had an ace BMW tech install a manual box in an E32 Sport and it is a wonderful car. The E34 was available with a V8 as well as a manual, so the swap would be relatively straightforward. As long as the work was done properly I wouldn't be worried about buying it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@xwesx

I'm with you. Everything looks just perfect. Too perfect. Nice ride though!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@roadburner, I sent you a PM through the site if you have a minute to take a look.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited March 2014

@breld said:

Really crazy, but it looks like the owner went to great lengths to use OE parts whenever possible. It's almost 20 years old and I'm sure it would be a headache to keep running, but I find it kind of intriguing. I love the color, too. I don't see very many Craigslist cars I'm interested in, but I'd be a buyer at $10k or less.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Yeah.. $10K for that wagon with an E39 V8 and 6-speed? That would work for me... I don't believe 25 mpg for minute, though... figure 12-15 mpg... at best..

The really cool thing is you couldn't get a V8 BMW wagon with stick.. so, there is that. At our local cruise-in, there is a guy that converted an E39 wagon to an M5 wagon.... I'd like that one, too... :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It seems like it could be a hobby for the enthusiast (an enthusiast with lots of money that is).

I might just have to check this out for the sake of our forum here. :)

I found the thread on BaT and read the comments. Funny thing was someone that posted was from that guys town, and had seen the car outside the BMW dealer while it was being worked on.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

I've always been a fan of wagons, and this one looks definitely pretty cool and something I'd drive. I'm just curious about the seller's intentions for selling. Are there bugs, or faults with it? Did he just lose interest after finishing the car and is moving onto another project? I'm sure there is more than $15k into this.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@breld said:

WOW....trying to figure out why someone would actually do this?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

geesh. All that work and money but with a worn-out non-sport driver's seat. :(

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761

@qbrozen said:
    geesh. All that work and money but with a worn-out non-sport driver's seat. :(

You noticed that too, did you? The "there are 160K miles on the chassis" part didn't shake me much, but I don't get why someone would want to leave the driver seat with that many (clearly visible) miles on it. It's condition looks a hair's breadth from outright unraveling!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    The really cool thing is you couldn't get a V8 BMW wagon with stick.. so, there is that. At our local cruise-in, there is a guy that converted an E39 wagon to an M5 wagon.... I'd like that one, too... :p

Nah. I mean, not unless the diff is too low. My 540 6-spd got in the low 20s in mixed driving, and since this is that drivetrain, I don't see why it wouldn't be similar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I know we've been down this road before, but the prices on CPO CT200h's seem to be coming down into the low $20K range. This might make an excellent commuter/runabout for my wife in 6 months!

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@nyccarguy said:
    I know we've been down this road before, but the prices on CPO CT200h's seem to be coming down into the low $20K range. This might make an excellent commuter/runabout for my wife in 6 months!

You don't need to pay the extra cost for CPO -- nothing goes wrong with the CT's or the Prius. The safest used car bet around.

I played with one at the autoshow. I actually liked it a lot. A drive could be interesting.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

@stickguy said:
    I played with one at the autoshow. I actually liked it a lot. A drive could be interesting.

I took a test drive of a CT200h last fall. Nice car, but not all that big inside. Could be an issue for the way nyc's wife will need to use it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953

I almost bought one and it is a tight fit in there...very tight and I am only 5'7" and 150...I felt a bit claustrophobic in there to be totally honest. It drove great and all but again, very very snug!!! If you are looking for a sedan, this is not the one to buy!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    edited March 2014

I, too, test drove the CT200 a few years ago. It is a very snug car. But, I liked the interior. IIRC, a bit of road/wind noise. Didn't feel sluggish (nor powerful), hard to drive in electric only mode. Slight go pedal pressure engages the engine. I was intrigued, but the tsunami in Japan made supply quite tight. I wanted to check out the CT with leather, but none were to be had. So, of course, instead I bought the Jag XK! Hey, they're both hatchbacks....

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

Speaking of Jag: Buttons: The XF has 'em and I like 'em! While the touch screen controls much, there are redundant buttons below the screen and on the console below that (as well as the steering wheel). They feel good, not hard plastic, rather feel "rubberized." I'll have to take a closer look, but this just occurred to me this morning, commuting to work. A soft touch is all that is required with delicate feedback to let you know it has engaged. I find this a small feature, but elegant.

Rotating vents continue to rotate and shift dial continues to rise and retract, in case anyone was wondering!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@laurasdada said:
    I, too, test drove the CT200 a few years ago. It is a very snug car.

Never sat in a CT but had my Prius for 3.5 years and it is very roomy. Better mpg and cheaper but it is a Toyota and not a Lexus so not a prestige brand.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

I think the 2014 S4 will keep me from contributing another car to this forum topic for many years. Then again :( some idiot in a Lexus (typical Lexus driver ability) just caused me to have an accident in my new S4. There fault of course, but the damage is in the teens of thousands, and I fear even the Audi authorized body shop won't be able to restore a car I called "Impeccable" for its build and quality.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@jayrider

I agree with you that it's not worth paying extra for the CPO warranty, but most every used CT at a Lexus dealer with 40K & under miles is going to have it.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited March 2014

Mrs. Carnaught's CT is not as roomy as the 2010 Prius she had but is more luxurious and refined. It much more fun to drive than the Prius, actually sporty. Mechanically, no issues, and she's digging that 46-54 mpg with regular .

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited March 2014

Wait, a crash already?

I had an annoyance in my car this evening - driving on a road with construction - a closed lane, but almost no workers, no caution signs. It was pretty dark, and there was a huge bump/dip in the road, with no warning sign - whack! I almost pulled over and complained to one of the likely OT paid members of Bellevue's finest who is always stationed there, probably on the way to a six figure salary. Gotta love our second world quality road standards, and no doubt someone's brother in law got the contract for the project.

@andres3 said:some idiot in a Lexus (typical Lexus driver ability) just caused me to have an accident in my new S4.

that sucks for anyone. But especially bad on a brand new car, especially one that nice.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

@andres3 said:
    I think the 2014 S4 will keep me from contributing another car to this forum topic for many years. Then again :( some idiot in a Lexus (typical Lexus driver ability) just caused me to have an accident in my new S4. There fault of course, but the damage is in the teens of thousands, and I fear even the Audi authorized body shop won't be able to restore a car I called "Impeccable" for its build and quality.

That's awful! I hope you weren't hurt.

@jayrider

You are right. A new Prius cost the same as a used CT. The mpg difference between the 2 isn't a killer. Either car gets better than the 15.7 mpg she gets driving the Pilot around. The fact that Lexus is a prestige brand doesn't come into play for me.

@andres3

That royally stinks pal! I hope you weren't hurt. Keep us updated on the progress & how it is dealing with insurance...

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@andres3 said:

Andres....man, oh man. I'm really sorry to hear that. Glad you're OK. The car.....sounds like a lot of damage. Probably not for a total, unfortunately. Maybe get something for diminished value, however.

While I hope it's not the case, before Audi bought mine back, one of the driving factors in their decision was the length of time it took to get parts, which was substantial.

So, ask them to make a committment for parts acquisition. It could take a while.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited March 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    jayrider

You are right. A new Prius cost the same as a used CT. The mpg difference between the 2 isn't a killer. Either car gets better than the 15.7 mpg she gets driving the Pilot around. The fact that Lexus is a prestige brand doesn't come into play for me.

Local dealer is offering 4k off msrp on any new 2013 Prius. C and V excluded.

My 2010 just dropped another 3k in value. In 3 years it will make a very inexpensive gift to my granddaughter. At 71, I'll be ready for my first Corvette.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191

andres3 - Sorry to read about the S4.
    You are OK?

• Ray

Damage to vehicles is at least not as bad a damage to people . . .

2022 X3 M40i

andres3- Definitely get compensation for diminished value- assuming it is recoverable in your state...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Well, now my local Fiat dealer is advertising the 2013 Abarth I like for $19,500, which is $7,100 off of the MSRP. I went on Auto Trader and some dealers are asking more than that for used ones. It IS increasingly tempting...

Wow - that's quite a fun car for under $19.5k. If they're openly advertising that, perhaps there's even a bit more wiggle room? This is definitely one of those circumstances where the new car is a better buy than used.

Go for it! :)

Regarding the Lexus CT's, they are certainly becoming attractive on the used market. I drove that and a Prius back-to-back, and while I liked the Prius more than expected, the Lexus offered a noticeable improvement in the handling and throttle response. But that comes at a price - I'll echo the theme from everyone else that the CT is definitely very tight inside, both in rear seat room and cargo room in the hatchback.

For a sporty, efficient hatchback, the upcoming Golf TDI or 1.8T would be a great choice. When I had my GTI, the kids seemed to have reasonable room in the rear seats, and I could fit my tennis ball machine, a basket of balls and a gym bag in the cargo area.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Took the E-GT in for the 7500 mile service this morning. Got a 2014 Accent as my loaner car. Buzzy little thing - not nearly the amount of sound-deadening that my car has.

Sandy, I would recommend that your wife drive both the Accent and Elantra before making a decision. I think the Elantra is a much more refined car with only a small penalty in gas mileage.

Oh, one other update. Family was going to dinner last night when my daughter tells us that she'll probably buy the Countryman before her road trip in mid-June - she's working on saving up more of a down payment in the next couple of months.

I figure that the punch will happen in mid-May. Wife and I are out of town the last week of May and we've "suggested" that she get the new car broken in before the road trip (June 13-16).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Breld, the upcoming golf is really nice. Should arrive in June I think.

edited March 2014

@roadburner said:
    Well, now my local Fiat dealer is advertising the 2013 Abarth I like for $19,500, which is $7,100 off of the MSRP. I went on Auto Trader and some dealers are asking more than that for used ones. It IS increasingly tempting...

We had a guy come to our lot (I work at a used car lot) last week wanting to trade out of his 5 day old Abarth with 500km (about 300 miles) and into a mint 05 GTi we have. Obviously there would be cash back for him with the deal as our GTi is only $11k, but the deal he wanted would involve us basically paying him $27k for his car, same price you can buy them new here, same price he paid 5 days ago.

The Fiat dealer hit us at only $19k on trade in for his Abarth, $8k hit on a 5 day old car. Ouch. :s

The deal didn't happen for obvious reasons as we were about $7k apart.

@jayrider

I'm sure they are giving away most Prii 'round these parts too. Toyota is offering 0% financing for 60 months (magical number that 0% is when paired with a 60). I'm actually looking at a screamer ad right now that's advertising a $0 Down (1st month & acq due at signing) $189 per month lease on a Prius Two (plus tax) with 12K per year. The same dealer is offering a $179 per month lease (same terms) on a Venza LE AWD. The aforementioned are 24 month (CCBA friendly) leases.

Did the guy give any indication at all why he was done with that Abarth after a few hundred miles? GEEZ, didn't he test drive it before he bought it?

@boomchek said:
    The deal didn't happen for obvious reasons as we were about $7k apart.

edited March 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Did the guy give any indication at all why he was done with that Abarth after a few hundred miles? GEEZ, didn't he test drive it before he bought it?

He said it was an impulse buy and felt not as fun as his VR6 GTi he had before.

@boomchek said:
    He said it was an impulse buy and felt not as fun as his VR6 GTi he had before.

I wonder about some people; a few months ago someone posted that his wife wanted to get rid of their new Wrangler because it was noisy, had a rough ride, and the convertible top took too long to raise and lower. Wow, I would never have guessed that...