Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 4-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• rmt3rmt3 Member Posts: 37

Got it, thanks.

edited April 2014

I closed the deal yesterday and ordered a new car with the specs I mentioned. We got I down to $56,000 sales price, 00.130 money factor and $925 acquisition fee, for a monthly payment of $727.17 with tax (TN tax is 7%) and initial payment of $1300. Total discount was $2,450, excluding the extra $200 added to the acquisition fee. Other dealerships have given me $1,000 discount (Houston, TX) or none at all (St Louis, MO), because they were not ready to commit without an actual allocation. Thank you again for all your help.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,590

Looks like you saved about $2400 over your initial quote. A little knowledge goes a long way. Let us know when you get the car. I saw a 428i coupe, earlier this week. It is a stunning vehicle!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mayoretmayoret Member Posts: 4

I am looking into leasing a 428 convertible in California. Found one that was $59,218 MSRP. They offered me $58110 ($1500 above invoice). With $2500 trade in and $6200 due at signing ($4900 for 7 MSDs, bringing MF down from .0013 to .00081, the rest taxes and fees), payment came out to $672 a month. Is this a good lease deal? I didn't even see an acquisition fee on the chart they gave me, and feel like they would have taken another $500 off the price.

edited April 2014

@mayoret said:
    I am looking into leasing a 428 convertible in California. Found one that was $59,218 MSRP. They offered me $58110 ($1500 above invoice). With $2500 trade in and $6200 due at signing ($4900 for 7 MSDs, bringing MF down from .0013 to .00081, the rest taxes and fees), payment came out to $672 a month. Is this a good lease deal? I didn't even see an acquisition fee on the chart they gave me, and feel like they would have taken another $500 off the price.

It's hard to say without the term/mileage, but you are getting the base MF rate, so that's a good start. I'm sure the $725 acquisition fee was added into the CAP cost, before your $2500 trade/downpayment was deducted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mayoretmayoret Member Posts: 4

Thanks Edmunds! It is 10,000 miles a year, 3 year deal. Does that change anything?

@mayoret said:
    Thanks Edmunds! It is 10,000 miles a year, 3 year deal. Does that change anything?

Deducting your $2500 downpayment and adding $725 for the acquisition fee, I get a payment of $604/mo + tax. So, even with that deal, the payment seems a little high. It's hard to know why, without a complete breakdown of costs and the final net CAP cost on the lease.

The 4-Series has a strong residual, but without a big discount, it's going to be an expensive car to lease, no matter what.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2014

I will, and the convertible is even better.
    This is what I ordered.

• raghavraghav Member Posts: 14

Hi! I'd appreciate an opinion on this deal ... I know the MF is marked up from 0.0013, and the Selling Price/Cap Cost is high ... but how much?!

428xi, Mineral Gray, Cold Weather, Premium, Navigation
    MSRP 49,025 | Selling 46,819 | Doc Fee 220 | Aq Fee 925 | Cap Fee 174 | Aftermarkets 695 | Total Cap Cost 48,833 | 36Mo/12Mth | MF 0.00170, reduced to 0.00121 after Max MSD | Residual 62% | Tax Rate 7%

Monthly Payment 650.58 incl tax (originally w/o MSD was 692.12)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,924

@raghav said:
    Hi! I'd appreciate an opinion on this deal ... I know the MF is marked up from 0.0013, and the Selling Price/Cap Cost is high ... but how much?!

428xi, Mineral Gray, Cold Weather, Premium, Navigation
    MSRP 49,025 | Selling 46,819 | Doc Fee 220 | Aq Fee 925 | Cap Fee 174 | Aftermarkets 695 | Total Cap Cost 48,833 | 36Mo/12Mth | MF 0.00170, reduced to 0.00121 after Max MSD | Residual 62% | Tax Rate 7%

Monthly Payment 650.58 incl tax (originally w/o MSD was 692.12)

My numbers work out exactly as yours do. As you've noted, the MF has been marked up, as has the Acq Fee (base fee is $725). If you use the standard MF of .00130 and reduce to .00081 with MSD, your payment would drop to $617/mo.

As to the selling price, I don't know what's considered good or bad for this new model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jimshepjimshep Member Posts: 5

Do you have the lease numbers for a 2015 435i Gran Coupe yet (36months, 10k/yr)? The order guide and initial allotments are available, but I don't know the lease numbers to determine the payments. Thanks for your help, this service is very valuable!

@jimshep said:
    Do you have the lease numbers for a 2015 435i Gran Coupe yet (36months, 10k/yr)? The order guide and initial allotments are available, but I don't know the lease numbers to determine the payments. Thanks for your help, this service is very valuable!

MF of .00133 and residual value of 63%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• jimshepjimshep Member Posts: 5

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    MF of .00133 and residual value of 63%

Thanks for the quick response! Interesting that a 2015 seems to bring a lower residual and higher MF than the 2014 coupe. I guess it is due to the Gran Coupe being a new model?

@jimshep said:
    Thanks for the quick response! Interesting that a 2015 seems to bring a lower residual and higher MF than the 2014 coupe. I guess it is due to the Gran Coupe being a new model?

That, or its limited sales potential. I don't profess to understand the rationale behind any of the MF/Residual decisions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thank you for the prompt response, @Michaell@Edmunds!

So it seems to be in the ballpark ... I'm still looking for the ideal configuration, so this helps a lot!

@raghav said:
    Thank you for the prompt response, Michaell@Edmunds!

So it seems to be in the ballpark ... I'm still looking for the ideal configuration, so this helps a lot!

Keep us posted and come back when you've made your deal. The information can help others!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

A couple of further questions:

1. It seems like the lease payments are based on the variance between MSRP & Purchase Price. So a 50K MSRP car bought at 45K may be a lower payment than a 47K car at 46K ... am I doing these calculations right?!

2. Once I determine the monthly payment I'm comfortable with, does it matter whether I negotiate a lower Purchase Price vs. Money Factor?

@raghav said:
    A couple of further questions:

1. It seems like the lease payments are based on the variance between MSRP & Purchase Price. So a 50K MSRP car bought at 45K may be a lower payment than a 47K car at 46K ... am I doing these calculations right?!

2. Once I determine the monthly payment I'm comfortable with, does it matter whether I negotiate a lower Purchase Price vs. Money Factor?

1) Generally, this is correct.

2) A payment you are comfortable with is not necessarily a good deal. If you aren't getting the base money factor, there is always room to go lower, until you do. I don't do deals with marked up money factors.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cmoamtcmoamt Member Posts: 7
    So I'm in the Market for a 428i. Over the phone the dealer says he needs to run my credit report to know my interest rate and money factor. I though the money factor is set by the dealer and not by credit score?

@cmoamt said:
    So I'm in the Market for a 428i. Over the phone the dealer says he needs to run my credit report to know my interest rate and money factor. I though the money factor is set by the dealer and not by credit score?

The base money factor is set by the bank.. but, if you don't have top tier credit, they have higher numbers for lower credit scores... just like if you were buying the car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pwt5pwt5 Member Posts: 2

Hi, I am new to the forum but would really like it if someone here could tell me if this is a good deal on the lease of a 428xi... The deal below is what the dealer quoted me after a fair amount of negotiating. I am in Texas, but I am not sure if using an MSD to get the payments down is an option in this state?

lease term - 36 months
    annual mileage - 10k
    MF - .0015
    Residual - 63%
    Acquisition Fee - $925
    Monthly Lease payment is about $697

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

• pwt5pwt5 Member Posts: 2

Forgot to say that the sale price of the 428xi is $47,225, inclusive of a $925 destination charge

• heals1heals1 Member Posts: 1

Appreciate your views on the lease offered for a 435i from a dealer in Houston. The car would come from the factory with a MSRP of $55,675, Invoice price $52,475. They are offering the car for $1000 below MSRP (including $500 USAA incentive). The MF is .00175 which seems rather high after looking at some of the other posts on here; residual was 61%.

@pwt5 said:
    Hi, I am new to the forum but would really like it if someone here could tell me if this is a good deal on the lease of a 428xi... The deal below is what the dealer quoted me after a fair amount of negotiating. I am in Texas, but I am not sure if using an MSD to get the payments down is an option in this state?

lease term - 36 months
    annual mileage - 10k
    MF - .0015
    Residual - 63%
    Acquisition Fee - $925
    Monthly Lease payment is about $697

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

The base MF for the 428xi is .00130, so that is being marked up. Acquisition fee, too (base is $725).

However, Texas is one of a handful of states that taxes the entire purchase price of the car on a lease, which increases the payment considerably.

MSDs will reduce the MF (.0007 for each, with a maximum of .0049 reduction). Not aware of any restrictions on this in TX.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@heals1 said:
    Appreciate your views on the lease offered for a 435i from a dealer in Houston. The car would come from the factory with a MSRP of $55,675, Invoice price $52,475. They are offering the car for $1000 below MSRP (including $500 USAA incentive). The MF is .00175 which seems rather high after looking at some of the other posts on here; residual was 61%.

Base MF is .00130, so that is being marked up.

There might be some room to negotiate on the selling price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• lemon435ilemon435i Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Are the terms for a 435i 36month 12kmiles lease still .0013 mf 62% resid? Wondering if they changed for April..

Thanks!

Yes.. those are the April numbers

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lemon435ilemon435i Member Posts: 2
    Great. Thank you!

I think I am getting ripped off:

MSRP: 41925 they say they cant go more than 500 off MSRP this car is high demand. So the price is 41425.
    MF after 7 MSD is .00128 All taxes and fees rolled in.
    Residual is 60% for 15K for 36months.. Monthly payment $614
    does this sound fishy?

Question: If purchasing a car from a leasing company would you still be able to put down multiple security deposits? and still get the 4 year maint. program?
    Thanks for your help..

• asdjonasdasdjonasd Member Posts: 3

Wanted to share the lease deal of my 2014 435i, and also recommend to ANYONE who is ordering from factory, add the M-Performance Power Kit. It is residualized in the lease, and puts much more power then they claim. "Google Steve Dinan dyno PPK"

My lease is 15k miles/36 month. Residual 60%, base MF = 0.00130

• MSRP: $60,780
    • Base Cap Cost: $56,225
    • Dealer Aq Fee: $1,005
    • Net Cap Cost: $57,230
    • Residual value: $36,468
    • Money factor after 7 MSD: 0.00081
    • Sales Tax (CA): 8%
    • Finance/Rent charge on lease: $2,732.24
    • Sales tax on lease: $1,879.55
    • Total of all Lease Payments: $25,373.94
    • Monthly lease payment: $652.62
    • Sales Tax on lease payment: $52.21

Total monthly payment: $704.83

@cmoamt said:
    I think I am getting ripped off:

MSRP: 41925 they say they cant go more than 500 off MSRP this car is high demand. So the price is 41425.
    MF after 7 MSD is .00128 All taxes and fees rolled in.
    Residual is 60% for 15K for 36months.. Monthly payment $614
    does this sound fishy?

Well.. it sounds like a bad deal. Even if you can justify only $500 off, the money factor is marked up... I wouldn't need a $42K car bad enough to pay over $600/mo. for it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@cmoamt said:
    Question: If purchasing a car from a leasing company would you still be able to put down multiple security deposits? and still get the 4 year maint. program?
    Thanks for your help..

Yes, the MF is too high at an effective APR of 3.072%. You can do better. With a net cap cost of 500 below MSRP, and the MF of 0.00128, you are paying $3068.01 in finance/rent charges.

Ok thank you very much. They said the money factor is set by my credit score. I guess i can try to get the price of the car lowered.

@cmoamt said:
    Ok thank you very much. They said the money factor is set by my credit score. I guess i can try to get the price of the car lowered.

When they tell you this, ask them what your credit score is. Then, ask them if you are getting the lowest rate, or are they marking up the rate for extra profit. It's possible that you are paying a higher rate, due to your credit, but they should tell you exactly why and how much. They usually won't lie about your credit, in response to a direct question.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ok thanks i appreciate it..

@cmoamt said:

Well yes, you are correct, I did not take that into consideration. However I do not know what their credit tiers are but I'm sure you can google and find the tiers and corresponding base MF values. Best of luck.

;)

Any one have any thoughts on an owners choice loan for a 428i? I live in Texas.. Thanks

@cmoamt said:
    Any one have any thoughts on an owners choice loan for a 428i? I live in Texas.. Thanks

It's not a bad thing, if you think you might keep the car... Or, if you have an expensive trade-in, and can save a lot on sales taxes... Otherwise, the lease is probably cheaper, even though you take that big hit on sales tax...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwafficiandobmwafficiando Member Posts: 5

Hello and thank you to everyone for the invaluable information on this thread (particularly "kyfdx%40Edmunds").

I'm leasing a BMW for the 1st time (giving up a purchased 528i), and have the following questions:
    1) what is the April MF and RV for a 435i cabriolet (36 month lease; 10,000 miles / year)?

2) BWM USA is currently offering a special on the 435i cabriolet at $589 per month (before tax). This is based on an MSRP of $56,775; $725 acquistion fee; $3,500 down payment; and 10,000 miles / 36 month. I understand there may be variables missing in the equation, but any idea as to what MF and RV is implied in this $589 / month amount? If not a question that can be answered, using a MSRP of $56,775 and the current MF and RV, what should a 10,000 mile / 36 month lease work out to per month?

3) I plan to approach a NJ dealer in the next few days - based on my research, it seems that MSDs are the way to go. Is it a one-for-one substitution in that I don't put a down payment of $3,500 (i.e., CAP cost reduction), but put down $3,500 in MSDs that I end up with the same monthly payment? I would think not, hence I ask (using the figures from current BMW incentive deal above) what amount of MSDs do I need to put down (instead of the down payment of $3,500) to land up at the same monthly lease payment?

Thank you for your time.

@bmwafficiando said:
    Hello and thank you to everyone for the invaluable information on this thread (particularly "kyfdx%40Edmunds").

I'm leasing a BMW for the 1st time (giving up a purchased 528i), and have the following questions:
    1) what is the April MF and RV for a 435i cabriolet (36 month lease; 10,000 miles / year)?

.00130 and 63%

2) BWM USA is currently offering a special on the 435i cabriolet at $589 per month (before tax). This is based on an MSRP of $56,775; $725 acquistion fee; $3,500 down payment; and 10,000 miles / 36 month. I understand there may be variables missing in the equation, but any idea as to what MF and RV is implied in this $589 / month amount? If not a question that can be answered, using a MSRP of $56,775 and the current MF and RV, what should a 10,000 mile / 36 month lease work out to per month?

No idea what MF is being used in the promotion, but the residual is set by BMW Finance and cannot be modified by the dealer. With $0 down and using the MSRP as the selling price with the MF and residual as noted above, a 36mo / 10K lease works out to $703.83/mo before taxes.

3) I plan to approach a NJ dealer in the next few days - based on my research, it seems that MSDs are the way to go. Is it a one-for-one substitution in that I don't put a down payment of $3,500 (i.e., CAP cost reduction), but put down $3,500 in MSDs that I end up with the same monthly payment? I would think not, hence I ask (using the figures from current BMW incentive deal above) what amount of MSDs do I need to put down (instead of the down payment of $3,500) to land up at the same monthly lease payment?

You are correct - it's not a like-for-like substitution with down payment and MSD. If you put down the maximum 7 security deposits to reduce the MF to .00081, but the MSRP and selling price remain the same (and equal to each other), the pre-tax payment drops to $658.48.

So, your best bet is to negotiate the selling price of the car to as low as possible (invoice before any available rebates or incentives may be possible), then make the MSD's to lower the money factor.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    So, your best bet is to negotiate the selling price of the car to as low as possible (invoice before any available rebates or incentives may be possible), then make the MSD's to lower the money factor.

Thank you very much... this is truly helpful.

• konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196

The national deals really aren't all that good. The best advice I could give you...DON'T GO INTO THE DEALER!! Always, always negotiate via email. Once you are in the dealership, they have the advantage. If you want to order a car, put together the build, get the invoice, add $500 for dealer profit, then subtract your available incentives, make an offer, include in it you want the base money factor .00130 minus the MSD's, base acquisition fee and I know NJ allows for a high doc fee, which is just more dealer profit. Send your offer to the internet department.

• jmcginn84jmcginn84 Member Posts: 5

I would like to lease a 2014 435i convertible asap but was hoping to find out what prices/rates these are going for this month. I am new to leasing so I am hoping to find out what is considered a good deal and forward it to the surrounding dealers to match....Any advice on what I should ask for? Thanks in advance!

@jmcginn84 said:
    I would like to lease a 2014 435i convertible asap but was hoping to find out what prices/rates these are going for this month. I am new to leasing so I am hoping to find out what is considered a good deal and forward it to the surrounding dealers to match....Any advice on what I should ask for? Thanks in advance!

I answered part of your question over in the "Prices Paid" discussion.

What lease term and miles per year are you looking for?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• mshardmshard Member Posts: 10

Hi,

I am currently trying to lease a 2014 BMW 428i convertible. Here are the terms, are they good? My issue is the payment.

Lease term: 36 months/12,000 miles

MSRP $58,725 Sales price: $54085 (Initial cap cost) Add cap cost: $? Adjusted Cap cost: $? Due at signing: $1,400 Money factor 0.00130 Residual: 62% Monthly payments: $630 plus $54 tax (tax rate 8.5%) Is this payment correct or is it high?

I am also thinking of another configuration for MSRP $60,900 and Adjusted cap cost of $56260 same with everything else. I am in California. I don't know if I am missing something?

Please help???!!! ; )

CJ

@mshard said:
    Hi,

I am currently trying to lease a 2014 BMW 428i convertible. Here are the terms, are they good? My issue is the payment.

Lease term: 36 months/12,000 miles

MSRP $58,725 Sales price: $54085 (Initial cap cost) Add cap cost: $? Adjusted Cap cost: $? Due at signing: $1,400 Money factor 0.00130 Residual: 62% Monthly payments: $630 plus $54 tax (tax rate 8.5%) Is this payment correct or is it high?

I am also thinking of another configuration for MSRP $60,900 and Adjusted cap cost of $56260 same with everything else. I am in California. I don't know if I am missing something?

Please help???!!! ; )

CJ

Since you only have $1400 due at signing, assuming that the $725 acquisition fee is added on to the CAP cost. That gives me the same payment that you have. That is the correct residual, base money factor and and $4600 discount from MSRP. I'm not sure you can do any better, as there are no manufacturer incentives on this model.

Assuming the $725 has to be added to the 2nd deal, the payment would be $657/mo. + tax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Would like to share the best offer I received so far on a 435i convertible. I tried other dealers in NJ, but this one beat the others by a wide margin.

The options I selected are the following: m sport package, cold weather, driver assistance, premium, navigation.

10k miles/36 month. Residual 63%, base MF = 0.00130

MSRP (including all options): $64,075
    Selling price: $61,524 (no cap cost reduction)
    Residual value: $40,0367
    Money factor after 7 MSDs: 0.00081
    Sales tax (NJ): 7%
    Sales tax on lease: $1,740
    Monthly lease payment (excluding tax): $680
    Monthly lease payment (including tax): $727

Please do let me know if this seems like a decent deal. The other dealer in NJ that I went to was asking $858 first, but then came down to $798 (and refused to budge further). He was using the same money factor and MSDs, but refused to lower the selling price.

If anyone has any buying / negotiating experiences to share (particularly in the NJ area), I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thank you for your time.

• mshardmshard Member Posts: 10

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    Assuming the $725 has to be added to the 2nd deal, the payment would be $657/mo. + tax.

Thanks! I was using the Edmunds calculator and it said it included tax in the payment, so I was always a little off.

This discussion has been closed.