Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

12345679»

Comments

• talons1077talons1077 Member Posts: 2

I forgot to add the Durango has 116K miles now my wife does not drive much. Hense the reason we got a gas guzzler.

• blown05magnumblown05magnum Member Posts: 1

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7 Hemi with 91,000 miles. Ran like a scalded cat for years - LOVE this car! Changed the oil religiously with synthetic. Interior/exterior are immaculate, relatively new Borla stainless cat-back exhaust, aftermarket wheels, and new Michelins.

Pulled up to store Sunday night - running fine. Went inside for 10 minutes. Came out to the car - tried to start engine and there was little or no engine compression as the starter spun really fast. Tried to start again and when it finally fired up it had a horrible miss and it sounded like a horrible metallic rattling sound. I immediately shut off the motor, opened the hood expecting to see a metal coat hanger wrapped up in the serpentine belt but everything externally on the motor was fine. No leaks. Nothing. Had it towed to the Dodge dealer. $500 later he says a valve seat dropped into #3 cylinder and destroyed the piston, cylinder and the head. They first quoted me $8,500 but have now dropped to $6,500 installed out the door for a Chrysler re-manufactured engine with a warranty.

LOVELY :-(

• mas18mas18 Member Posts: 1

Latest 2004 Durango victim here.

After a rain storm on 4/15/14 I attempted to start my 2004 5.7L Hemi Durango and heard a horrid metal flying around type of noise. I did not attempt to start the vehicle again. I noticed small pieces of metal on the ground under the engine. Eventually I found a hole in the engine block. The vehicle was well maintained and the oil level was fine when I checked it on 4/15/14. It had 105,000 miles on it. I have found many similar complaints on safercar.gov. I called Chrysler (case # 24896456) and was told nothing can be done. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and the BBB.

I emailed Chrysler and here is their response.

"Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center.

We are sorry to hear of the concern you have experienced with your
    engine. After thoroughly reviewing your request and the files on this
    matter, we respectfully concur with the decision rendered by our
    Customer Service Representative.

We're sorry we cannot provide a more favorable reply.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
    assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
    email message or call 1-800-4A-DODGE (1-800-423-6343).

Sincerely,

Eileen

Customer Service Representative
    Dodge Customer Assistance Center"

Hello Toyota....or maybe a new bike that doesn't have floor mats!

• sorkasorka Member Posts: 3

Wow! I'm stunned. So many of the exact same failure and Chrysler is not stepping up to the plate. I had the dreaded shift motor failure a few years ago. It cost me $2000 to replace the transfer case as the shift motor was on permanent backorder. I've also had the AC fail multiple times. Chrysler never stepped up to plate to fix any of this even though many had experienced the same failures. I've spent over $3500 on dealer repairs in 116K miles. Some may say that's not bad for that kind of mileage, but I'm use to getting hundreds of thousands of miles out of cars without any failures. I just sold a Lexus SC400 with 334K miles and it has never had a failure or repair of any kind. It drove like the day I bought it when we sold it. No creaks or rattles or anything.

After reading through many of the posts in this thread, I've decided to sell our 04 hemi limited Durango hopefully before it fails. There's nothing wrong with it now, but I can tell it's just a ticking time bomb. I won't drive it again unless it's for sale activities like moving it to the driveway to wash and detail it or to meet a prospective buyer. I'm NEVER buying another Chrysler product again. Kbb private party is $7600. I'll be happy if I can get $5000 which is less than dealer tradein.

• markfrancismarkfrancis Member Posts: 1

Same thing. I have an 04 Durango with a Hemi. The car has always had a sputtering problem after a rain or a carwash. I never put 2 and 2 together because it did not happen right away. Thought maybe I had bad gas. My car has 87k on it. My wife drove it day before yesterday no problem. I went to start it yesterday in the rain, I thought a cat had been under the car when I started it, all hell broke loose. I looked under the hood and found nothing. I looked it up on the internet and my jaw dropped at all of the identical issues. Mine would start and sound like someone beating on it with a hammer, now just smoke and wont start. Unbelievable.

• sorkasorka Member Posts: 3

Detailing it this weekend and getting it smogged and ready to sell. No way I'm waiting around for this to happen.

• leelee11leelee11 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    My 2004 durango wouldn't start at first I thought battery or starter, I waited a few minutes tried it again, it started but then made a tick tick tick noise very annoying it has 94,0000 miles on it. Brought it to the dealership they said its an internal engine problem they can replace the engine new for $,7,000.00 or a used one for $4,000.00 . I said I have never owned a vehicle and the engine went. I said do you know why the engine would go, the dealership replied they dont know why it happened.
  • sjjs714sjjs714 Member Posts: 1

Has anyone gotten any sort of response or anything going on this? I now have to replace the motor a second time for the same issue!!!!

• wshmidheiserwshmidheiser Member Posts: 2

My name is Wayne and I'm new here.

I have a 2004 Durango with the 5.7 hemi with 72,000 miles on it. My wife started it the other day and even though a rod did not conme out of the block I can just tell that something bad happened inside the engine. I'm going to pull it out in the next couple of weeks so I'll post again after I know for sure what happened to .it.

• jaybyrdsgirl71jaybyrdsgirl71 Member Posts: 1

We just bought out 2004 Durango with 5.7 Hemi less than 5 months ago, it had the same problem, misfiring in the rain and then with no warning threw a rod this morning. The dealership we got it from is only will to pay for half the repair, which I can't afford regardless. So now I have no car with a year and a half left of $500 per month payments. Then I see all these other complaints. Not only should Dodge do something, but anyone who sells used cars should be ashamed of themselves for sell cars with well known engine failure. What we need is a Class Action suit, I'll be looking into it.

• habojrhabojr Member Posts: 1

:@ This also happened to our 2005 dodge magnum RT hemi. no warning on the dash. No codes in the system. We purchased the car new from the dealer .we have done all the scheduled maintaine. With only 63,000 miles .needless to say a very big disappointment. now the engine is seized.
    I am thankful this happen on the way home from work, and not on my way to Havasu.
    Doing a little looking around on the internet .this appears to an issue with the 5.7.

• wshmidheiserwshmidheiser Member Posts: 2

I posted June 14th about the engine noise in my Durango.

I got the engine out (what a job) took it to our local machine shop and received a call today with the news. Bent connecting rod in #7 cylinder. Hydro-lock. The engine is in great shape except for that. Oh well it looks as though everything that I have read about is true. I am going to get it rebuilt and I'll post with the results when complete.

• rladdrladd Member Posts: 2
    I see I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. I just recently blew the engine in my 04 Durango with no warning or anything and owe too much on it to just sell so have to get a new engine. It threw a rod through the driver side engine block. I'm looking for an engine and they aren't cheap. Does anyone have any idea where to find a good remanufactured one if possible? Dodge really needs to get a grip on not selling junk and own up to their mistakes.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is a duplicate post so I'll address it here as well. My opinion is that you should first find a reputable installer who has already done a number of crate engines---he probably knows the best suppliers because he is just as interested as you are in having a hassle-free experience.
  • doctauridoctauri Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Well, it looks like I'm a member of this crappy club.

04 Durango Limited with a 5.7 Hemi and 115k miles. Has always run great (though that tick was a little disconcerting, dealer said it was normal for a hemi). Regular maintenance, not raced. It was the wife's car. She ran to the store Tuesday night, ran great as always. Went to go to work on Wednesday, started the car, and it sounded like a jackhammer.

I took it to the local tire/automotive store that I typically go to, they said it's internal, too much for them, take it to an engine shop. Based on above, I think I already know the problem. I don't have an extended warranty, never believed in them, until now..

It's in great shape, but I hate to put $5k into something work $6k.

Has anyone had any luck getting Chrysler to do anything out of warranty?

My only other thought would be to selling it out for parts, or donating it for the write-off.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Anyone know what a dodge dealer would offer on trade-in (just curious)?

I do know that even though we loved the durango, the replacement will NOT be a Chrysler product.

Thanks.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    "It's in great shape, but I hate to put $5k into something work $6k."

What is the overall condition of the Durango? If there is no corrosion, properly repaired your Durango will do everything that a brand new one would do, except come with an additional four more years of payments on top of the cost of repairing/replacing the engine.

The really troubling point for shops and techs is that when people so readily toss a car like this to the side why should they even bother to be equipped and experienced to do the repair? What's worse is that the majority of these failures are preventable with proper service but through the years the techs voices are drowned out by others who tell consumers what they want to hear and convince owners to increase the time and mileage between service intervals only to suffer failures like this. While you state it had regular service, the end result indicates that it was insufficient for the regular use that the vehicle experienced. We see things like this all of the time. Shops get painted as dishonest for trying to get people to take better care of their vehicles and the manufacturer gets the blame when something eventually goes wrong, when the real reason was insufficient service. The end result however is simply a vehicle scrapped and replaced with new way before it should have been and if you really think about it that's not an accident. No matter where you go for your next car, this same story is being repeated enough times with other makes that someone else will be getting a new Chrysler product and everyone wins, except the shop that could have repaired this for you.
  • doctauridoctauri Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, how many stories are on this thread alone, where others went ahead and replaced the engine, only to have the exact same thing happen again 6 months or so down the road? That's not an option for me. And while I understand the plight of the shop owner, it is not my responsibility to ensure he has work. It does make me sick to think of this vehicle as disposable, but not as sick as investing $5k to fix it, and have this happen again.

This was a daily driver, never off road, and only had 4wd engaged once a year during the snow. It received the manufacturers recommended service. If that's insufficient, then that too falls back on the manufacturer, as they should have recommended more.

• whywhywhywhywhywhy Member Posts: 1
    well, add 1 more to the list as well. going 35 miles per GD hour and BOOM, metal clanking and oil EVERYWHERE. 137k. there's a hole in the bottom of the oil pan, and it's clearly been made from inside the pan, as all the metal is facing outwards as if it friggin' exploded from the inside or something. this is absolutely ridiculous I loved that truck so much. it isn't a huge hole but it's big enough to let every drop of oil leak out. just changed the oil not even 1500 miles ago, and ALWAYS pampered that motor. maybe didn't change it exactly at 3000 miles every time, but it NEVER went over 5000 miles without an oil change. if there is a lawsuit, I want it as well. this makes absolutely no sense. I can't believe this has happened to this many people, they need to pay for this.
    When you changed the oil did you make sure that the products that you bought were approved to meet the Chrysler MS6395 N or MS6395Q specification? (API SM, SN and ILSAC GF4,GF5 did not meet the Chrysler spec)
  • pittbulldracerpittbulldracer Member Posts: 2
    Have same problem with 2004 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 ST/SLT 4x4 157,000 mile sounds like rods about to blow out the bottom end.
  • pittbulldracerpittbulldracer Member Posts: 2
    I have heard these motors use a Powdered Metal connecting rod?
    That is pretty much standard with manufacturers today.
  • dodgehemi2004dodgehemi2004 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2004 Dodge Durango and I've been having problems with it for years, especially whenever it would rain and the problem started around the 80,000 mile mark. I had to cover the bottom of the windshield area so that no water would get into the engine. I went out of town and forgot to cover it and 2 weeks later I started the engine and it sounded like rocks were in it. I had it towed and my mechanic said the engine needs to be replaced. It has 136,000 miles on it and I've maintained it with regular oil changes. However when I took it to the dealership at the first sign of problem after the rain, they kept it for a whole month and never fixed the problem. This exact issue is happening to too many people and Chrysler needs to take accountability for putting a flawed engine on the market. There needs to be a class action suit filed against them.
  • igotsoldjunkigotsoldjunk Member Posts: 1
    06 dodge durango .. broke crank 2 ties now . new transmission and ecu as well. never will buy a dodge again.
  • irish_reignirish_reign Member Posts: 1
    2004 Durango Limited with 140,000 miles. Bought from a dealer in Jan of 2014 engine hydro-locked in April 2014. Dodge service department said they are familiar with water getting past the window cowell and into the intake manifold causing hydro-lock. Stated that Dodge is aware of the issue but will not cover cost to replace motor. Hourly rate was $100 so I took it to a mechanic I knew who only charges me $60 an hour. He took motor apart and confirmed hydro-lock. One rod bent the other broken and broke a hole in the block. $6,000 later it had a rebuilt motor in it and within a month the vehicle wouldn't start. I'm done with Dodge and if anyone starts up a class action lawsuit count me in! This is such a common issue I'm amazed that the government hasn't forced Chrysler into a recall.
  • guroonigurooni Member Posts: 1
    '04 Durango Hemi. At about 130k would run horribly in rain. Two days ago, engine [non-permissible content removed] off in the rain. I could start it by flooring the gas but it would not stay running and was knocking horribly. I don't need to mention the horrible timing for this event as its never really a good time to lose an engine but, we were really relying on this vehicle and to find out what a common problem this is is really disappointing.
    Obviously I have to purchase a new vehicle since its not worth fixing this one. I've spent many years defending Dodge when everyone would tell me what junk they are; I suppose I won't purchase another one.
  • pistoffpitbullpistoffpitbull Member Posts: 1
    Hydrolock post new redesigned cowl vent grille installation :  I bought a 2004 dodge Durango with 52,000 miles and running perfectly jus 3 months the ago.  The engine bay was supper clean. Apparently the vehicle was garaged when not in use. The 1st problem I faced was " battery drain".  I figured this is why Empire Motors in Philadelphia, PA sold the vehicle for just 8,000 dollars. In resolving this problem I spent 700 dollars in fixing the rear tail lights which had corroded electric components. So rain had corroded the light system. Then, I heard of the hydrolock problems and bought the new redesigned cowl vent grille panel that is supposed to prevent water from seeping/leaking into the intake manifold.  I didn't know the manifold gaskets were dry/rotten. I thought the rain would seep through the spark plug injectors system.  This past  Friday,  25 of September,  2015 it rained intensely and while the vehicle was parked,  the rain leaked anyways. When starting the vehicle on Monday to go to work,  the Durango sounded like I was trying to play the power ball. Marbles, rocks and stones were rotating inside my engine. What king of engineering goes on in our home grown domestic terrorist automobile company: dodge. Redesigned bunch of crap! And they won't back their products and make a proper recall, this is why foreigner automobile companis have eaten us for lunch! Dodge :  you should be ashamed.  What does the American customers stand/mean to you? I guess your just proud to be a "6 gun slinger". I lost 9,000.00 +  : purchase,  taxes, tags, insurance,  oil change, ect.  And I don't have a vehicle to go to work. 
  • ithrewarod2ithrewarod2 Member Posts: 2
    Another victim......I've been a proud owner of my 2004 Dodge Durango for years!! Last Monday I went outside to start it to take the kids to Mount Trashmore and when I turned the key it threw a rod right through the engine!!!!. At first I didn't know what happened so I came inside and Googled my "2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi just made a loud clunking sound" and sure enough what popped??.....you already know....... hundreds of 04 hemi owners with the same issue as I. It is most certainly a manufacturer's defect and I'm well aware Chrysler are NOT going to do a recall on this at all!! The problem starts with water, which leaks through a defective cowl, manifold sponge & intake, water literally sits on the engine and gets sucked right in!  When my husband came home and got under there and literally saw the hole in the engine I was completely devastated I cried and cried and cried because I already knew it was way too expensive to be replaced! We've taken care of that truck since we bought it, we had it serviced at the Dodge dealership, we've done everything right on that vehicle. We have taken more than a dozen family vacations in that truck and still I only have a 122,000 miles on it it is absolutely gorgeous, sadly its just useless now. Estimates for repair vary greatly depending on new, used remanufactured, lowest quote $5600, highest $9300. I read alot of other people's issues but didn't see anywhere where someone may of gotten any help from Chrysler...I doubt I missed it but figured someone else might know. Also wanna know what everyone else did with their trucks?
  • ithrewarod2ithrewarod2 Member Posts: 2
    ******I do want to note, that I did contact my dealerships service center to report the issue, I also contacted Chrysler via phone to officially document their defective parts, and I also sent Chrysler a detailed email to document their defective parts as well!! Everyone needs to register and take a few minutes to also post their issue!! We will never get any help if we don't try!
  • wduffieldwduffield Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 06 5.7l Durango limited 3yrs ago with 95k. Now at 150k it broke a rod while my wife and son where 2hrs from home. After reading all the previous posts it seems Dodge/Chrysler should go back to putting foreign engines in there vehicles. My work car is a 01 stratus with a Mitsubishi 3l never had a problem. The hemi power was nice but who has an extra 5000 laying around
  • firefighter131firefighter131 Member Posts: 2
    2006 jeep grand Cherokee 5.7 liter hemi The same thing happened to me yesterday parked and the car sat for about 10 minutes but when I went to start it there was nothing it finally fired up and sounded like a rod went through it no fluids leaked out all fluids full. Called chrystler they said they know the 5.7 has problems but no recall yet. I bought the car 2 years ago and paid for a lawn ornament they want it diagnosed at a dealer which is 155 for them to tell them what I said was wrong with it. Chrystler is willing to help but me being disabled doesn't fly with me and the warranty is done because of 10,000 miles but they charged for 3 years
  • firefighter131firefighter131 Member Posts: 2
    wuzziern said:
    And asked about why 2012 vehicles were recalled for the same problem as the many 2004,etc. 5.7L hemi engine. Call dodge and complain, then go ro your states A.G.'s office and file a complaint.
    Its every 5.7 that Chrysler has even my jeep did it to me yesterday
  • clak2019clak2019 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 dodge durango 5.7l hemi threw a rod and busted a whole in the block don't know what cause it to do that, what i want to know can you take all parts from that engine thats good go back with new rods and put all back in another block
  • arkdad212arkdad212 Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 04 Dodge Durango that three a rod and i’m having to replace the engine.The problem and it’s only the 04 Durango is that dodge put a defective cowling on it allowing for water to get into the engine.i got suspicious because whenever I drove thru a car wash or drove it in the rain it would either die or try to die especially when slowing down.If you have an 04 Durango it would be smart to change this cowling before it’s too late cause it’s gonna happen!Dodge is aware of the problem but denies responsibility and acts like they don’t know anything.If anyone has problems driving in rain or going thru a car wash just be careful before it’s too late.Im get the cowling replaced as the next engine is going in.Hope this helps!!!!
    Well rain or a car wash wouldn't cause connecting rod damage but it could cause the ignition system to get wet in some instances and that might affect how the car runs. To damage a rod, the engine would have to "inhale" a virtual wave of water through the air cleaner, like if you were charging into a stream or driving into a flooded area where the water reached air cleaner level--and by that time it would also be coming in the cabin.
    clak2019 said:

My 2004 dodge durango 5.7l hemi threw a rod and busted a whole in the block don't know what cause it to do that, what i want to know can you take all parts from that engine thats good go back with new rods and put all back in another block

No that's not possible. Your only choices are either a used engine (probably the smartest move) or install a new short block from Chrysler or a reman block from an engine builder.
  • LORDSKELTONLORDSKELTON Member Posts: 1
    04, 5.7l Durango. Valve seat drop after 100k miles. Complete [non-permissible content removed] and should be compensated for. Any vehicle that has a 50/50 chance of exploding at 100k miles is pathetic. I own an 03 f150 that’s about to pass 300k miles with no issues. I know who is getting my money in the future.