Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

A good portion of those Camry sales are pull ahead sales with folks taking advantage of clearing out the old model. That should self-correct after a couple of months. Still pretty impressive.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    I think each manufacturer in this segment is trying to shed the vanilla image of their respective cars in the segment.

I happen to think Ford's adaptation of the "Aston Martin Grill" looks fantastic on the Fusion. They give you a choice of everything from a Hybrid to an AWD model.

On the flip side, I think the conservative yet handsome styling of the Passat works well. Especially with those split 5 spoke 18" wheels on the SE & SEL models. The Passat also gives you some great engine choices of either their latest turbo 4 or a TDI. At one time in the not too distant past, VW offered the Passat with 4Motion AWD. Give me that coupled to the TDI and there's no competition:)

I remembered back in 1996 my father in law had a green (THE color of that time period), VR6 with a 5 speed. It was really a peppy & great driving car, and one of the main reasons I liked the same color green TDI I inherited. I drove the TDI for 3 more years, then handed it down to my niece who still drives it at college. Keeping the turbo working requires frequent 'reboot', meaning power cycling the engine from time to time-usually when you most need it.

Otherwise you have a 60hp car with 80lb of torque, which now that I think about it would be perfect for a new teenage driver. LOL.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I think the most popular cars ending up being the ones that aren't exceptional in anything but do most things well and nothing very badly. We might call them "inoffensive" in every way.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@m6user said:
    I'm glad I don't have to buy either one. I really don't like the Fusion look as it copies Aston way too much in the front and the rear just doesn't work. They aren't bad but the Mazda6 and Accord are best looking for now from the outside IMO. I like the Optima and new 200 for interiors. The Fusion and Sonata interiors are least liked by me. Looks are not dependent on resale value or reliability so that shouldn't enter the equation besides for the fact that looks are absolutely subjective. So it's kind of silly to try and say one is the best looking because of vastly different tastes. State what you like but don't try to say "mine is the best". Sounds too much like bragging to me.

If you took a poll of auto writers and most consumers just based on seeing pictures I would guess the Mazda6 would come out on top. But as stated, that is a guess.

Every review of the Mazda 6 goes on and on about its sublime handling, braking, powertrain responsiveness such as always selecting the right gear when it is needed. This plus a really nice body puts the 6 on top of most reviews.

However, none of the conservative paint colors accentuate the curves of the body, the wheels are not attractive on all but the top end GT model which "rewards" its owner with a "race tuned" 186 HP.

Really Mazda? $30 thousand with 186 HP? I swear I heard Mazda has this "Mazdaspeed" team that adds turbochargers to production engines., but maybe I'm imagining things?

Next, the interior. The interior quality of the 6, with the Audi style MMI knob controlling center stack functions looks exactly the same as the 3. On the Mazda 6 however, the same Mazda 3 hard plastic abounds, LED center stack displays are tiny, look cheap, and the overall layout is not up to par with many competitors.

All this for over $30,000.

Listen up Mazda: Fix the interior, boost the 2.5 just 10 psi to 245 hp, and you have one heck of a great car. Until then, I am installing coilovers and a strut tower brace to experience the suspension improvements that come standard on the Mazda 6. The 6 is a great car. Just fix up the interior Mazda!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,979

@cski said:
    Every review of the Mazda 6 goes on and on about its sublime handling, braking, powertrain responsiveness such as always selecting the right gear when it is needed. This plus a really nice body puts the 6 on top of most reviews.

However, none of the conservative paint colors accentuate the curves of the body, the wheels are not attractive on all but the top end GT model which rewards its owner with a race ready186 HP. Really Mazda? $30+ k with 186 HP? I swear Mazda has a "Mazdaspeed" team that adds turbochargers to production engines., but maybe I'm imagining things?

Next, the interior. The interior quality of the 6, with the Audi MMI style knob controlling center stack functions looks exactly the same as the 3. On the Mazda 6 however, hard plastic abounds, displays are tiny, feel too cheap, and the overall layout is not up to par with many competitors. All this for over $30,000.

Listen up Mazda: Fix the interior, boost the 2.5 just 10 psi to 245 hp, and you have one heck of a great car.

I don't think Mazda has the resources to do what you suggest, now that they are independent from Ford.

The only thing Mazda is missing is a more powerful engine option - Chrysler, Honda and Nissan have both 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines. Chevrolet, Hyundai and Kia have NA and turbo 4-cyl engines. Mazda only has the one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited June 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I think the most popular cars ending up being the ones that aren't exceptional in anything but do most things well and nothing very badly. We might call them "inoffensive" in every way.

"we might call them "inoffensive" in every way"

Well, normally we just call them "Camry".

• Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited June 2014

@cski: Well, since you offered the rant on the Mazda6, I'll just respond somewhat.

I agree with you on the interior being less tech and sharp and in need of upgrade.. However the quality of materials I don't think are any better or worse than the rest of the competition. The interior is really much different than the new 3 which I actually prefer. I think the 6 will get upgraded to be more like the 3 uplevel dash layout when the 6 is tweaked.

The Accord EX-L I4 with a CVT is $29040. The Mazda6 Grand Touring with a 6spd auto is $30,490. I also agree that Mazda, being the lesser known, should be closer to that figure but Mazda has included a lot of equipment that is simple not on and/or unavailable on the EX-L 4 cyl. Whether it is worth the extra $1400 is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Things that are standard on the 6 Grand Touring that are not on the Accord EX-L.

Bose 11 speaker system,
    Navigation,
    Directional adaptive headlights,
    Blind spot sensor(although the Honda has the passenger side camera),
    Auto dimming driver mirror,
    Spoiler,
    Rain Sensing wipers

As to mechanicals, the Mazda and the Honda are very, very close. The HP is about the same but the Mazda reaches peak at a much lower RPM which is usually preferable. The Mazda has more torque which again reaches peak at much lower RPM than the Honda. The Mazda has a longer wheelbase and shorter turn radius which are usually both postive in ride and handling.

Again, I think the Mazda would do well to be closer in price to the EX-L and still offer the above equipment to be more competitive but it isn't way overpriced considering what you get. I would venture to guess that street prices for the Mazda are more in line with EX-L street prices but with quite a bit more equipment.

I think the Mazda6 Grand Touring equipment wise is more in line with the Accord Touring, so in effect one is paying $4k more for the Accord Touring to get the V6.

On the subject of V6, I totally agree that Mazda should do something to add some HP/Torque to compete more in that area. But as most of us(not all unfortunately) can understand, Mazda is a much smaller automobile company and can only do a few things at a time and have to concentrate on those things that offer the most bang for the buck.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,123

@cski said:
    Listen up Mazda: Fix the interior, boost the 2.5 just 10 psi to 245 hp, and you have one heck of a great car. Until then, I am installing coilovers and a strut tower brace to experience the suspension improvements that come standard on the Mazda 6. The 6 is a great car. Just fix up the interior Mazda!

It isn't all that great since even the Dodge Avenger is outselling it.

I agree with most of your criticisms except you left out the claustrophobic passenger compartment. It feels tight, and visibility is severely limited by the styling, especially to the sides and rear. The interior/dash looks dated, and the power or lack thereof is a joke.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

I have an Accord, but would have been happy with the Mazda6. I did not like the equipment on the base 6 and the next step up did not have the 6MT available yet (jan of '13). So I was forced to get the Accord as I don't know how to drive an automatic. :)

They are both great cars, the engine on the 6 is just a tad rougher and the gearshift a little less smooth, but they are both plenty fast - 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Who cars how many hp they have, they scoot with the stick shift. To me they handled about the same as far as capability, but the 6 had a heftier feel to the steering which I do like. The 6 has a little less room in the back as well.

I think the pricing is right for both of them, but the 6 does not seem to be discounted nearly as much, so that adds about another $1,000 to the price difference. I don't think they are too expensive. There are plenty of cars costing much more that don't offer much more besides bragging rights on hp.

• Options

ab348: You said the Mazda6 has a claustrophobic passenger compartment. It feels tight and the power or lack thereof is a joke.

Have you even sat in 2014 Mazda6? The interior dimensions in regards to leg, hip, head, and shoulder room are all about the same as the Accord. I think officially the Accord has 101 cu ft of passenger space versus 100 cu ft in the Mazda6. Granted it doesn't have an uplevel HP/TQ engine but the I4 power is equal to or better than just about anything in the class. I have both a Honda product and a Mazda product in the household so I'm not really biased one way or the other.

Dodge Avengers are being given away as they discontinue it and everybody knows that's the only reason it is selling well right now...not because it's a better car.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@Mr_Shiftright said:

That's because most buyers aren't like us - they aren't enthusiastic about their midsize sedans. They value the perception of reliability and solid build quality over just about any other factor. Or, they buy what they know because it's what they've always bought. We see the latter with some family members, who always buy GM products. It's not because they feel any particular loyalty to GM, but it's what they know, they are familiar with the dealership, and it's just what they've always bought.

Of course this is my opinion only,

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Or they buy Hondas and Altimas because they are great cars, and Camry is a known quantity. Mazda just isn't as well known and has fewer dealers.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

@Mr_Shiftright said:

FWIW, there's been studies done about why people especially women are considered "beautiful". The women most often considered "beautiful" are those with what my wife calls "blurry faces", e.g. plain vanilla without any distinguishing features like prominent noses or chins. In other words, they do most things well and nothing very badly. ;)

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

@backy said:
    FWIW, there's been studies done about why people especially women are considered "beautiful". The women most often considered "beautiful" are those with what my wife calls "blurry faces", e.g. plain vanilla without any distinguishing features like prominent noses or chins. In other words, they do most things well and nothing very badly. ;)

A bit OT here, but studies have also found that most models have irregular features (one ear slightly lower, etc.) If those model photos are photoshopped so they are perfectly symmetrical, they look really strange.

But that wouldn't translate well to an automobile!

• Options

I think we should all keep in mind that the vast majority of people buying the midsize sedans we talk about here are buying them for one reason......family transportation. Dependability and economy are probably the two main factors. How they pair up with their mp3 player, 0-60 times, corner carving ability, etc have little to do with their decision. Sometimes people that post in these forums consider those kind of people, shall we say, not well informed or even stupid. They are neither usually, they just don't care that much. My wife is like that. She treats the car like a necessary evil to get her to work and back and to run her errands and to do it dependably and relatively cheaply. She doesn't really care about looks, hp, sound system or even handling all that much because she never comes close to pushing a car to it's limits. She doesn't care if the car has the highest safety ratings as long as it's in the ballpark of the norm. She's probably a pretty normal consumer of these cars.

We are the oddballs that talk and post about them all the time. She calls them my nerdy sites and she's probably right.

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Mazda6,

This is what I see when I look at the mazda 6 from a older baby boomers view.

Midsize car that is a cross between family car and sports car look. Just dont cut it.. This is a car I see a young man / girl driving..... Cheap looking.

I like to hear from the members over 50 who would drive this car over a Accord, Fusion etc.. Mazda is on pace to sell 13k units this year.. There is no market for this car. The mazda 3 is a different story.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    edited June 2014

brian125.... Don't know where you get your numbers but maybe your eyesight is getting bad. The Mazda6 sold over 43k units in the U.S. last year and has sold over 14k thru May of this year. So where you come up with 13k for this year is beyond me. They sell more 6s than the Subaru Legacy so I guess their is no market for that either. I know you're just giving your opinion and observations but I don't know how anyone can say a car is cheap just by looking at it and forming some kind of opinion of who drives the car.

If all cars were the same it would be a pretty boring segment. I've only owned one Mazda which we still have and it has been probably the most trouble free car after 109k miles and 7 years that we have ever owned and I've owned quite a few. Something north of 40. It does drive a lot sportier than most older people might like but it suits us baby boomers just fine. Of course, I'm looking at getting a Mustang GT in the future so I guess we are not the typical baby boomers. Not sure or not if we will replace the Mazda6 with a Mazda as my wife would something a little quieter. But she likes how it drives so well the only other car we might consider from a similar drive aspect is the Accord. However, the Accord, while better than it used to be, is not the most quiet in this segment either. That's why I've doing research on several cars in the segment.

It funny that everyone thinks that unless Mazda sells 5 times as many 6s that they can't compete. Is bigger always that much better. Haven't we come to the understanding that just because something sells in huge numbers that it's not necessarily a lot better.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,625

I'm over 50, and if I needed to buy a new car right now, and wanted a big (to me, midsize to most people!) the 6 would be high on the list of desired options.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited June 2014

The .mazda has come along way. Im not a zoom zoom fan. we test drove one 6 months ago. awful engine noise like all the mazda's. there were alot of positives on this new model

• Options
    edited June 2014

What I find interesting is mazda sold a little over 5k units last month. Some of that number went to fleet sales. Alot of people claim they like the mazda6.............. but most buyers dont go for the Mazda. WHY. The new 14 mazda 6 is now in production since last Oct.. My eyesight maybe be getting worse like most folks over 50, but i'm very observant of cars and folks who drive them. Most new Mazda6's i see on the road which by the way are not many have young drivers behind the wheel. Alot of young girls. Thats why in my prior post I asked who over 40 or 50 will buy one. Stickguy wants one........................... Who owns a new one????????? Nobody in here.. WHY? Is this vehicle a Family car? or Sports car? Mazda's up against stiff competition in both fields.

5k units sold in May 2014.

Below is your answer: Why mazda can't sell this vehicle as a Family or Sports car version.

Yellow VW bug.. or Red.mazda6...................... both chick cars............ lol

Just having some light fun........................ Somebody please tell me i'm wrong.

We all no the answer why mazda has trouble selling 5k units each month

Dodge............ will give away there Avenger.......... folks price driven will bite.

Honda.. Quality, Build, and resale value.. Big business.

Toyota...heavy discounts on there Camry's and vehicles. Big business

Nissan alot of incentives/ rebates

Kia/ hyundai good product. you get alot for your money, best warranty / w piece of mind
    comfort.

Ford.. comming back with alot of good vehicles. Fusion on top of the midesize class.

the list goes on

• Options
    Ok. You're wrong.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I have owned Hondas, Nissans, and Mazdas at different points in my life. I find them generally to be great vehicles. What I buy depends on my needs at the time and which car fills that need the best. I had a small Mazda sedan years ago when we were pretty strapped for cash and it did what the Civic did for a lower price. Terrific car. I had a Mazda6 wagon about 10 years ago. Loved it. I have a Honda Accord now (from a Nissan Maxima) because the Honda had the best combination of features that mattered to me. What I buy has nothing to do with perception of makes. I look over the options, narrow down to 2 or 3, drive them, and then make a choice. What I find interesting about these discussions is particular aspects of each of these midsize sedans as they change year to year, not which is the best overall. I don't think there is one clear best car year to year.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2014

The new Mazda6 is a pretty impressive car, at least from what I've read. I haven't yet driven one. Imho the two top midsize cars overall are the 6 and the Accord. If I hadn't gotten the Accord and been a die-hard Honda guy, my second choice would have been the 6. I'm 49.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options

Mazda has pretty much always been a niche player, and sales will never approach the big guns. Which is fine. They cover the sporty drivers car market, certainly a small slice of the overall one.

I can see thinking of it as a younger persons car, but never thought of the 6 as a "chick car".

• Options

That'd be like saying the BMW 328 is a chicks car because it's a sporty sedan and a lot of younger people drive them. I do see a lot of girls driving 328s so maybe it is a chicks car. LOL.

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

@brian125 said:
    Mazda6, ...
    I like to hear from the members over 50 who would drive this car over a Accord, Fusion etc.

Me me me!!

As for why don't I own a new Mazda6 now... I do own a Mazda6, a 2005 hatch, driven mostly by my daughter but I drive it as often as I can. Love that design. And I love the new design. Just not in the market for a mid-sized sedan now, nor in the near future. But if I were, I'd seriously consider the Sport with the 6MT. Fairly basic in equipment, but all I need.

Which goes to a previous post by m6user re why people buy mid-sized cars these days... I notice when I see ads for mid-sized cars, really ANY cars/SUVs these days, they focus more on the infotainment and other gadgets than on the driving experience. Except for Mazda ads. Which may be why Mazda doesn't sell more Mazda6's. They are for people who first and foremost love to drive. Infotainment and gadgets are secondary. Who needs INFOtainment when the car itself provides all the entertainment you need? :)

• Options
    edited June 2014

@m6user said:
    That'd be like saying the BMW 328 is a chicks car because it's a sporty sedan and a lot of younger people drive them. I do see a lot of girls driving 328s so maybe it is a chicks car. LOL.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Mazda sells 3 to 6k units a month. I see mostly young people and especialy girls driven the 6. Every body and there mother seems to be leasing a 328 bmw.

Is there any kind of argument You can compare probably one of the best enrty sports cars the Bmw3 series to a mazda 6.?

• Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@brian125 said:
    Is there any kind of argument You can compare probably one of the best enrty sports cars the Bmw3 series to a mazda 6.?

I took it as an observable comparison. You see "chicks" drive the 6, I see "chicks" drive the 3 series. I didn't think he was comparing the vehicles...and didn't think it was a serious statement since he post-fixed it with a LOL.

• Options
    edited June 2014

brian125: C'mon, get a sense of humor. The fact that all you notice driving the Mazda6 around where you live is "chicks" gives a very small snapshot of real estate along with a total survey of one person, you. Do you really think that is a scientific or statistically reliable sample to state as fact? Come back with some facts. We already know that your estimate of Mazda6 sales for 2014 of 13k was absolutely ridiculous. I live in a large metro area and I see more guys driving around in Mazda6. What does that mean? That a there are no chicks that buy Mazda6s in the Chicago area. Absolutely not....it means nothing. Just like your observations don't mean a whole lot either. But you try to correlate your few observations to fact.

But on the other topic of BMW, from what I've been reading the last couple of years the steering response in the 3 series has gone downhill and the Mazda6 is probably the best handling midsize sedan from a enthusiastic drivers aspect. So I guess you could compare them in that respect. But no, I'm not trying to say a Mazda6 is anything as good as a 3 series. Jeeesh.

• Options

I just googled. Not the most recent articles, but on women cars no Mazda to be found. Lots of VW. and sadly, tops was the Volvo S40 that I own, but it was for my daughter!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,365

I'm going to be able to get over 400 miles out of a tank of gas, with mostly normal commuting. Did make a trip to the airport, about 70 miles round trip.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited June 2014

@m6user said;

I live in a large metro area and I see more guys driving around in Mazda6. What does that mean? That a there are no chicks that buy Mazda6s in the Chicago area. Absolutely not....it means nothing.

M6

You seem to be missing my point about the mazda6. In your area the few mazda6 being sold you see guys driving. In NYC area, NJ, and in Myrtle beach S.C where i'm back and forth. The 2014 mazda's I see on the road are young people............. mostly girls. My observation and the facts on sales for this vehicle lead me to believe...... This car is not going over as the family sedan or sports car. Why not?????? Seven months into production with very nice reviews but not many folks buying them.. Even the car industry experts are scratching there heads on the low sales numbers for this vehicle.. Everyone say's they like it........... but not many are buying one yet.

My question to this forum and you M6 was : I dont think the older buyers are buying this vehicle. maybe i'm wrong............... maybe i'm right
    Each month The 6 mazda sells 3 to 5k plus units. Pretty sad for a car with rating's like it has.

I still think its a chick car...........lol

My thoughts on this vehicle are and i posted a review on it months ago when my son and I test drove it. I like the mazda6. Would I buy one.... NO...... The engine we both felt was underpowered and still to loud inside car for my liking. The ride was firm but not in a bad way. seats and inside materials were nice , driving position was good. At almost 6'2 a bit small for me inside the car. Headroom was awful in this mazda at 37.5' worst in its class. Very nice 10 or 11 speaker bose system. Nice upgraded features in the mazda.. Rode and handled very well,. A very big improvement from ladder years. even alot quieter inside .. Way to go mazda.. Ride and handling at higher speeds in the 6 is alot better than my V6 exl Accord. Overall I still buy my Accord over this mazda. Accord rides better on the highway, alot quieter inside the cabin especially when you step on the gas. The v-6 accord with 280 hp is very fast. Has better safety features. The Accord has much better reliability and resale value than the mazda6.

This 6 model needs a 4cyl turbo, or 6 option. 184 hp is not cutting it for me. My son is 32 so he is young and his thoughts on this vehicle were; he liked the car but felt the need for more h/p. The 6 did not excite him. He would of preferred a manual on this vehicle. We drove the auto. My son drives the G infinity and thinks he has narrowed down his choice for next vehicle between 3 series Bmw, or Mustang.

Mazda redesign's a nice sporty looking mazda6 vehicle then powers it with 3 gerbils on a wonder wheel for the motor...........Zoom zoom...lol

I think a 4 turbo would be a game changer for this vehicle.. And buyers

• Options
    edited June 2014

@ suydams said;

narrow down to 2 or 3, drive them, and then make a choice. What I find interesting about these discussions is particular aspects of each of these midsize sedans as they change year to year, not which is the best overall. I don't think there is one clear best car year to year

..............................................................................................................................

I agree with you.............. alot of vehicle's fall short of the total package with most flip floping every year / couple of years.

Quality, Build, and resale value should be at the top of your car buying list. making the choice you like best in that group of vehicles.

I'm rooting for the Passat to have a come back.............. 2015 maybe the year.

Them i'm going to take a collection for @m6user buy him a red 2015 mazda6, turbo version and find him a nice blond model to sit in the passanger seat while he zips around town.

• Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited June 2014

I can't say either way whether there are more girls than guys in the 16th largest City in the country, Columbus Ohio driving the Mazda6. My guess it's probably a 50-50 split. Who knows it could just be that when Brian125 is seeing the Mazda the Wife is using the car. I drive our Fusion 90% of the time but my wife drives it the other times. Don't know how you could arrive at that deduction. I just don't see many Mazda6 around. Probably see more Hondas than any other brand by far since Marysville is only about 15 Minutes from the Columbus City limits. I can say with a definite fact the VW Beetle is seen with about 99.99% of the drivers being women. I know there was a study done a few years back for what cars women most like to drive. I believe the Toyota Solara was one of the top ones. Especially the convertable. Also the Ford Mustang convertable was up there.

2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    edited June 2014

your comments are acurate. The mazda 6 vehicles I see on the road are young folks more woman. Take that comment as you see written. I can't comment on what you see. But I trust what your telling me. My point is dont seem older buyers are knocking down dealership doors for this vehicle.
    Ive been watching this car on the road the last 4 months. Cant figure out why i dont see more 6's and why i see more young girls driven them.

• Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2014

Next topic, fellas. < / guest moderator >

• Options

Filled up the Fusion today. 422 miles/14.5 gallons = 29.2 mpg
    Car has a 16.5 gallon tank, but the gauge had turned to red, so I filled up.
    Not sure if the car doesn't pick up all the fuel or distance to empty is way off.
    I've driven it over 30 miles when the DTE read zero.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@explorerx4 said:
    Filled up the Fusion today. 422 miles/14.5 gallons = 29.2 mpg
    Car has a 16.5 gallon tank, but the gauge had turned to red, so I filled up.
    Not sure if the car doesn't pick up all the fuel or distance to empty is way off.
    I've driven it over 30 miles when the DTE read zero.

That's just a measure of safety. My Explorer can go about 20 miles when the DTE is on zero. Not 20.1 as I discovered......

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462

@explorerx4‌

Driving 30 miles when DTE says "0" tells me there might be something way off, but according to @robr2 , Ford builds it in. When my Pilot is on 0, I can go about 3 - 5 miles. Same with the BMW.

Almost 30 mpg is impressive!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

You people are giving me agita. I start to sweat and panic if I drop below 1/4 of a tank.

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

Ford always keeps around 10% in reserve when it reads 0 miles to empty.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@stickguy said:
    You people are giving me agita. I start to sweat and panic if I drop below 1/4 of a tank.

My two Honda Accords have a trip computer. Mine are both top of the line EXLs, but I think the computer is probably standard across the line. Anyway, if asked it will tell you miles to empty.

So when you're on E you can ask it and it'll show 38 miles to empty or whatever. And so if you have a 15 mile run you can do it with confidence. It's very accurate from my experience.

The Accord also tells you when you need an oil change, counting it down "50% oil life left, 40, 30, 20, do it!". Very helpful feature. Also makes sure you don't waist oil if you don't need it.

• Options

@ab348 said:
    I agree with most of your criticisms except you left out the claustrophobic passenger compartment. It feels tight, and visibility is severely limited by the styling, especially to the sides and rear. The interior/dash looks dated, and the power or lack thereof is a joke.

One the visibility complaint, There are going to be more of them, and on more cars. We can thank our own desires for sexy looking fastback sedans combined with federal safety regs requiring thick A, B, and C pillars. I think Mazda ran out of $ to develop the interior more, but when they do, Mazda will have the most competitive car in the mid size segment,

• Options

Now, on to my car. I just pulled the trigger and bought Megan Street Series Coilovers, slotted brake rotors (but no drilled due to wear concerns), and a C/F strut tower brace... and a cold air intake (K&N Air-R
    I can lower or raise the car 2,5 inches each way. Here they are: ![]

(https://us.v-cdn.net/5021145/uploads/editor/ej/y8eb3nw3kss4.jpg "")

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462

@cski‌

Nice. Let us know how you like em!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@Robr2, My Explorer was much more accurate about the DTE. The Fusion and my previous Explorer was both pretty good at measuring consumption side.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@cski said:
    ....We can thank our own desires for sexy looking fastback sedans combined with federal safety regs requiring thick A, B, and C pillars....

I think the second point here is incorrect. High grades of steel now available, and used by some manufacturers, allow for relatively thin A B & C roof pillars while still having greater roof crush strength than previous cars.

For instance, the pillars on my 2013 Accord seem slightly thinner than the pillars on my 2008 Accord. And yet I saw the stats at one point, and the new generation of Accord is stronger in every way that the old, including dramatically increased roof crush protection. The new Accord gets top safety marks while still having excellent visibility.

Maybe not every car maker is willing to pay for the super high grades of steel that Honda uses in the Accord, but that's their choice. Gov't regs aren't doing this. To me it's an example of you pay a little more for a Honda but it's worth it.

People who are after "style over function," however, are buying a lot of these cars with thick pillars and poor visibility. And so taste and the willingness of stylists to cater to that over function is mainly what's going on imho....

• Options
    edited June 2014

Years ago, I read a story that cited the Gen 1 Fusion as an example of the use of high strength steel causing first responders to have to upgrade their cutting equipment.
    The Fusion is a sort of 'global' platform, NA/EU at least, so who know what standards it conforms to.
    Accord is NA only.

• Options
    maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78

anybody check out the new Sonata yet?

I went by a couple of Milwaukee dealerships today and noticed new Sonatas on the lot. Anybody driven one/sat in one yet? All I seem to be finding available are SE models. Gonna wait until the Sport/LTD models hit the lots then take one out for a full review.

• Options

they are out already? Man, with the stock of old ones still, should be able to get one heck of a deal on them.