Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 4-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• thegreythegrey Member Posts: 37

So they acknowledged today that they made a huge mistake on the calculations...

Here are the new numbers:
    MSRP: 52835
    Selling Price (including 1000 credit): 47738
    Cap cost reduction: 3133.72
    PA Sales Tax: 365.28
    MVA: 400
    First month's lease payment: 427
    Acquisition: 925
    Doc fee: 369

MF: 0.00081 (including 7xMSD)

monthly lease = $427

so pay 8770 upfront (including $3,150 MSD), 5620 is actual payment, 427/mo.

These numbers make more sense and account for the missing $1200 (1000 for losing the credit incentive and 200 for the increased acquisition fee).

If you say this math is legit, I'll get the car.

Thanks again

• jeffrjeffr Member Posts: 8

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    5) Dealers inspect the vehicle upon return, but they don't control the security deposits. Those reside with BMWFS. BMW dealers are generally pretty lenient with their inspections, but like any other make/model, if you are leasing your next car from them (or, they think you might), it tends to go better. Your lease end charges won't vary, depending on your security deposit, though. If you have $5000 in lease end charges, you'll owe the money where you have ZERO or $4000 on deposit.

Thanks very much for your help.

Would you care to offer advice on what you think would be the "best" discount I can wrangle on a "new" model like the 435i GC? Maybe 5%

What differential in the residual and MF if I'm doing a 36 mo / 12K per year lease? (State of Georgia)

Thanks again - this info is very valuable....

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

@thegrey said:
    So they acknowledged today that they made a huge mistake on the calculations...

Here are the new numbers:
    MSRP: 52835
    Selling Price (including 1000 credit): 47738
    Cap cost reduction: 3133.72
    PA Sales Tax: 365.28
    MVA: 400
    First month's lease payment: 427
    Acquisition: 925
    Doc fee: 369

MF: 0.00081 (including 7xMSD)

monthly lease = $427

so pay 8770 upfront (including $3,150 MSD), 5620 is actual payment, 427/mo.

These numbers make more sense and account for the missing $1200 (1000 for losing the credit incentive and 200 for the increased acquisition fee).

If you say this math is legit, I'll get the car.

Thanks again

About $392/mo. plus 9% tax.. I'd say the numbers are right on the money.. Of course they are bumping the acq.fee by $200, but the money factor is the base..

Personally, I wouldn't make that big CAP reduction... with a ZERO cap reduction, your out of pocket drops by $3133 + tax... MSDs go up by $700 (higher payment).. payment changes to $481/mo.+ tax, or about $524/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@jeffr said:
    Thanks again - this info is very valuable....

You might get 5% off.. BMW residuals go up by 2% from 15K/yr to 12K/yr, and 1% more to go from 12K/yr to 10K/yr.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is tire insurance worth it on the 428i xdrive (all season 18inch tires)? it's like 1700-1800$

@thegrey said:
    Is tire insurance worth it on the 428i xdrive (all season 18inch tires)? it's like 1700-1800$

Not at that price. You can replace a whole set for $1800.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

i am going to name my next child kyfdx after you.

@thegrey said:
    i am going to name my next child kyfdx after you.

LOL... Don't do that

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• johngalt123johngalt123 Member Posts: 8

So I'm at the price negotiation stage and am shopping around my spec via email. My spec priced out to $47,750 (would have to be ordered) and received a price of $43,333 after $1k option incentive. Invoice w/o incentive is $43,995. I'm not sure how much below MSRP these are going for - does this seem to be a decent deal? Might I be able to beat them down a bit more to below invoice?

Also, since I'd be ordering anyway...any idea when the 2015 coupe is being released? Wondering if I should just wait...

@johngalt123 said:
    So I'm at the price negotiation stage and am shopping around my spec via email. My spec priced out to $47,750 (would have to be ordered) and received a price of $43,333 after $1k option incentive. Invoice w/o incentive is $43,995. I'm not sure how much below MSRP these are going for - does this seem to be a decent deal? Might I be able to beat them down a bit more to below invoice?

Also, since I'd be ordering anyway...any idea when the 2015 coupe is being released? Wondering if I should just wait...

You are at $338 over invoice, and then the incentive off that.. If you get the base money factor and acquisition fee, then that is probably at the bottom.

I don't have any info on when the 2015 model will be out... I doubt you can make a better lease deal on the new one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks - that's a helpful baseline. I have no immediate need for a new vehicle, so does it make more sense to wait until July (what's likely to happen with incentives) or until the end of this month? From a strategic perspective, would there be an advantage to buying an existing 2014 in July as the 2015s start rolling in?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,058

@johngalt123 said:
    Thanks - that's a helpful baseline. I have no immediate need for a new vehicle, so does it make more sense to wait until July (what's likely to happen with incentives) or until the end of this month? From a strategic perspective, would there be an advantage to buying an existing 2014 in July as the 2015s start rolling in?

We cannot predict what will happen with the numbers next month, though they have been pretty stable the past few months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@johngalt123 said:

I don't think the lease deals will change much on the 4-series coupe, going forward... But, nothing is for certain. It's almost never a good idea to jump on a lease before you need it, because any savings is eaten up by paying the lease payment for a car you don't need.

Every once in awhile, lease deals will completely disappear on the outgoing model, but I don't think we are near that stage with the 2014 4-series. If you were looking to lease a 2014 VW GTI, I might have different advice..... the 2015 models have been on the lot for 4 weeks, and the lease deals could go away any month...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196

@socaljevy said:
    Hey guys, I'm really contemplating on leasing my first BMW and I just saw this advertisement at my local BMW dealership and at first glance looks like a great deal, but wanted to get some feedback on if this is too good to pass up or too good to be true. Thanks in advance. The deal is for a 2014 428i Coupe, see picture of deal attached.

$299/monthly payment
    36 month closed end lease, total due at signing $5600, $0 security deposit, 10K miles, 204 per mile penalty with approved credit through BMW financial Services, plus tax and license.

All you are really doing, lowering the cap cost, which lowers the monthly payment. This is a bad idea, mainly due to anything happens to the car wrecked or stolen you are out your down payment. On top of the deal you are looking at, is additional costs, the tax on the down payment is going to be significant in Cali, plus what about the $725 lease acquisition fee, doc fee and dmv. You live in SoCal, it is by far the most competitive market in the country for BMW's. Without being snarky, you really need to understand how leases work and find a reputable dealer. If you do a little homework, you can save thousands and won't be coming back here with a deal, asking if you did okay, when you have to ask you usually don't get a "good deal" I recommend you contact Greg at Pacific BMW or David at Steve Thomas BMW, they have excellent reps and no nonsense great deals.

Ok, so we found a build that is currently in transit (expected arrival at dealer ~1 month). MSRP 49,910, truecar has the invoice at 46,510. I offered 45,010 (inclusive of the current 1k incentive) and it was accepted (plus taxes and tags). They accepted without any counters - are they being straightforward or did I not go low enough?

They told me that as long as we contract this month, we lock in June's incentive/mf/residual but that if things are more favorable in July that I can get those numbers. Does that sound right?

Based on the above I looked at the invoice price here and it's 45,910...do I go back in and try to beat the price back down?

@johngalt123 said:
    Ok, so we found a build that is currently in transit (expected arrival at dealer ~1 month). MSRP 49,910, truecar has the invoice at 46,510. I offered 45,010 (inclusive of the current 1k incentive) and it was accepted (plus taxes and tags). They accepted without any counters - are they being straightforward or did I not go low enough?

They told me that as long as we contract this month, we lock in June's incentive/mf/residual but that if things are more favorable in July that I can get those numbers. Does that sound right?

>

Based on the above I looked at the invoice price here and it's 45,910...do I go back in and try to beat the price back down?

So, $100 above invoice before incentives. Seems to be a decent offer.

It may be the dealer's discretion to use either the June or July incentives; if they benefit you, so much the better.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Yet another scenario! They have a demo available - MSRP 53k, asking 44.5 with 4700 miles. No further incentives available. Still looking at a lease...should I completely steer clear, beat the price down, or is this a decent deal?

@johngalt123 said:
    Yet another scenario! They have a demo available - MSRP 53k, asking 44.5 with 4700 miles. No further incentives available. Still looking at a lease...should I completely steer clear, beat the price down, or is this a decent deal?

seems hard to do better than $8500 off sticker, but i'm not in the market for a 4-series...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

got them down to 43k and have agreed to keep the acq fee at 725 but they are working hard to bump up the mf (to .0015). how much do i fight here?

@johngalt123 said:
    got them down to 43k and have agreed to keep the acq fee at 725 but they are working hard to bump up the mf (to .0015). how much do i fight here?

If they are knocking off another $1500, that should lower the payment by $35/mo. or so.. Bumping the MF to .0015 adds about $15/mo. So, if the payment drops by $20/mo., that is a win..

Try this: "Knock off the $1500, and keep the base MF and acq.fee and we have a deal."

Once you get in the right price range.... whether it's $500 more on the selling price or a .0002 bump in the MF, the end result is the same... Don't lose sight of your actual cost to lease (upfront plus the monthly payments).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cowkittycowkitty Member Posts: 12

Quick question - is the residual value based on the MSRP of the car of the sale price? The dealer told me that it's based on the MSRP.

@cowkitty said:
    Quick question - is the residual value based on the MSRP of the car of the sale price? The dealer told me that it's based on the MSRP.

That is correct - residual is calculated as a percentage of MSRP.

So, if you negotiate a good selling price, that difference will result in a lower payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• cowkittycowkitty Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2014

Okay, here's the deal they offered me on a 428i xCoupe. 46,000 MSRP, selling price is $42,000.

Total cash (including title etc) is $3000 down. Monthly payments for a 36 month/12k a year lease is $436.00. I'm in Oregon so there's no tax (yay).

Opinions? Thank you so much!

@cowkitty said:
    Okay, here's the deal they offered me on a 428i xCoupe. 46,000 MSRP, selling price is $42,000.

Total cash (including title etc) is $3000 down. Monthly payments for a 36 month/12k a year lease is $436.00. I'm in Oregon so there's no tax (yay).

Opinions? Thank you so much!

The base MF for the 4-series is .00130 and the 36/12 residual is 62%. Plugging in your MSRP and selling price, I calculate a pre-tax payment of $466.12.

Therefore, I assume that some of the $3000 upfront money is used to reduce the cap cost. We recommend against this, as if the car is stolen or totaled you are out that money.

Rather, you can make multiple security deposits (MSD) - each one reduces the MF by .0007.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks for the feedback and help guys - picked up a melbourne red 428i w/x-drive, luxury, cold weather, premium and tech packs today :) They gave me a bit more than I had expected on my trade so I settled with MF at .0014 and base acquisition fee.

I forgot to note driver assist!

Congrats on the new BMW!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hardware2hardware2 Member Posts: 9

New to this site. Looking to lease 2014 435XI in NJ. Are there any July deals you know of?

@hardware2 said:
    New to this site. Looking to lease 2014 435XI in NJ. Are there any July deals you know of?

We won't have the July numbers until next week.

What lease term and miles per year are you looking for?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

3 year 12,000 mile/yr

@hardware2 said:
    3 year 12,000 mile/yr

Check back in the next day or two - we should get the July numbers pretty quickly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• omaraltomaralt Member Posts: 53

Any change for July numbers? 435i coupe. 15k miles

@omaralt said:
    Any change for July numbers? 435i coupe. 15k miles

Looks the same.. .00130 MF and 60% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr. $1000 build out cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Are there any good lease deals for 2014 435xi or 335xi for July? Looking at 3/yr. 12,000/yr.

@hardware2 said:
    Are there any good lease deals for 2014 435xi or 335xi for July? Looking at 3/yr. 12,000/yr.

What exactly do you mean by 'good lease deals'?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Bad choice of words. Should have said what are current lease prices on 435xi and 335xi

@hardware2 said:
    Bad choice of words. Should have said what are current lease prices on 435xi and 335xi

Generally, you should shoot for invoice minus any available incentives. You can use the pricing tools at the top of the page to help you determine what those numbers are.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48

@omaralt said: Any change for July numbers? 435i coupe. 15k miles

Looks the same.. .00130 MF and 60% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr. $1000 build out cash.

Any difference for 12k 36 months?

To go from 15K/yr to 12K/yr, add 2%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• collideoscopiccollideoscopic Member Posts: 20

Hi, can you confirm what the residual for a 428i xdrive 36 mo, 10k/yr lease is in July? June was 63%, correct? Any change? Thank you!

• iluvnewcarsiluvnewcars Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2014

What do you think about these numbers from North Jersey dealer. 435xi msrp 59000 selling price 53000. Lease with nothing down just first month payment $678. 12k for 36 months. Selling price included all incentives.

• rbradleysdrbradleysd Member Posts: 31

What payment would I be looking at for a 435i with an MSRP of 54225, selling price of 38225. 1k down, 20k for 24 months

How did u get 14000 off?

• rbradleysdrbradleysd Member Posts: 31
    I didn't. I have fat fingers lol I meant 48225
    edited July 2014

You are looking at $630

edited July 2014

Let's ask moderator about these lease numbers. MSRP 55200. Agreed upon price 48400. 10K for 36 months. Title,license and registration fee 315. Acquisition fee 749. Supp title fee 199. Tire & rec/Doc fee/Dealer fee 475. Taxes 1339. Monthly payment comes to 585. MSDs also applied to lower money factor. Nothing down except 4200 MSD plus first month. What do you think? This is from western NJ BMW dealer for 2014 435xi

• ud124ud124 Member Posts: 1

Looking to lease a 435 or maybe m4. Special scenario: don't have cash to buy the car now but would have it within 2 years (starting new job). Does it make sense to do a 24mo - 10K lease and then purchase at lease end. I would probably keep the car for another 3 years or so after that. Is this a crazy idea?

• driversedgedriversedge Member Posts: 36

@ud124 said:
    Looking to lease a 435 or maybe m4. Special scenario: don't have cash to buy the car now but would have it within 2 years (starting new job). Does it make sense to do a 24mo - 10K lease and then purchase at lease end. I would probably keep the car for another 3 years or so after that. Is this a crazy idea?

Not crazy, but not advised. Typically, captive finance companies (especially luxury ones such as BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti) will inflate the residual. So while it's great for leasing, the market value of the car is usually lower than your contract purchase price at lease end. You'd be better off to lease another one or purchase a new one. I'll let others chime in.

Agreed with previous poster.

This discussion has been closed.