Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Buying a VW made anywhere would give me pause but they seem to be getting a bit more reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2015 Honda Fit. Hecho en México.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

well you ARE supposed to chew them before swallowing. :)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

@oldfarmer50 said:, I forgot to mention, when I was at the Chrysler dealer they had hot dogs and popcorn in the waiting room.

Hot dogs and popcorn or wine and cheese, I know which dealer I would go to.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@imidazol97 said:
    I just got an email notice about not having paid my toll and it's from EZ Pass.

No you didn't, you got an e-mail from a scammer. Ignore it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

Too bad Isell found his cheap car.

I found that Saturn he wanted. :o

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4571318976.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited July 2014

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Too bad Isell found his cheap car.

I found that Saturn he wanted. :o

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4571318976.html

Looks like a real gem. No picture....what does that mean?
    And this nice write up:

2000 Saturn LS1, runs well, 326k, still gets 30mpg. Sold as is, currently on the road. Good first car or winter car. $1000 or b/o.

Let me translate,

2000 Saturn LS1, runs well, - Surprised it is running at all, so well is better than nothing.

326k, I think this car is well past it's prime. A miracle the little 4 banger lasted that long

still gets 30mpg.- If you push it for 1/2 a mile

Sold as is, - I don't even trust getting it fixed up to sell it - why would I sink any money into it?

currently on the road.- Parked on the road.....can't get it to start.
    Good first car or winter car.- Quite a difference between a first car and a winter car. Probably

no difference, it is just going to break down no matter how you use it.

$1000 or b/o.-No one will take this $1000 seriously, better add or b/o, a little more realistic.

"$1000 or b/o.-No one will take this $1000 seriously, better add or b/o, a little more realistic."

Unfortunately, this us what a thousand gets you these days. While that's an extreme example I'm constantly shocked at what people are asking for hoopties these days. Maybe it's because of all the flippers who build in their profit. Buy it for $200, sell it for a thousand.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

2016 Hyundai Tucson

I was surfing the net and came across this interesting nugget on the 2016 Tucson.

"Hyundai just released it’s first ever Gasoline Direct Injection-Hydrogen engine in the US with the debut of the 2016 Hyundai Tucson. This particular power train is projected to achieve 48 mph in the city and 72 mph on the highway. It also features an industry first, 17 airbags and a voice activated power lift gate.The Hyundai Tucson, known for its combination of style and function, adds even more value in 2016 with advanced 3.7-liter, 7-cylinder, 9-speed automatic transmission.

It’s brand new Gasoline Direct Injection-Hydrogen (GDI-H) engines, enhancing torque and engine responsiveness. With the GDI-H becoming standard on Tucson beginning in 2016, every Hyundai CUV will now features this performance-enhancing technology. Tucson is the first Hyundai to receive the 3.7-liter GDI-H engine in the United States. It will be applied to other models later in the 2016 model year.

For a detailed first look drive and review, watch this world exclusive presentation with Everyman Driver, Dave Erickson."
    http://www.everymandriver.com/world-exclusive-2016-hyundai-tucson-limited-awd-on-everyman-driver/

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,508

I don't get it. Where do you get it fueled?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That's odd. I can find nothing about this engine except at that one website.

edited July 2014

@bwia said:
    2016 Hyundai Tucson

I was surfing the net and came across this interesting nugget on the 2016 Tucson.

"Hyundai just released it’s first ever Gasoline Direct Injection-Hydrogen engine in the US with the debut of the 2016 Hyundai Tucson. This particular power train is projected to achieve 48 mph in the city and 72 mph on the highway. It also features an industry first, 17 airbags and a voice activated power lift gate.The Hyundai Tucson, known for its combination of style and function, adds even more value in 2016 with advanced 3.7-liter, 7-cylinder, 9-speed automatic transmission.

It’s brand new Gasoline Direct Injection-Hydrogen (GDI-H) engines, enhancing torque and engine responsiveness. With the GDI-H becoming standard on Tucson beginning in 2016, every Hyundai CUV will now features this performance-enhancing technology. Tucson is the first Hyundai to receive the 3.7-liter GDI-H engine in the United States. It will be applied to other models later in the 2016 model year.

For a detailed first look drive and review, watch this world exclusive presentation with Everyman Driver, Dave Erickson."
    http://www.everymandriver.com/world-exclusive-2016-hyundai-tucson-limited-awd-on-everyman-driver/

That's a joke, right? A good joke but a joke nevertheless. 112 hp 512 torque?with 72mpg? Ha ha :D

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Are you sure that isn't a spoof or a satire? Looks downright suspicious to me. Contains typos, for sure, "mph" when he means "mpg".

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@henryn said:
    Are you sure that isn't a spoof or a satire? Looks downright suspicious to me. Contains typos, for sure, "mph" when he means "mpg".

I think the 7 cylinder hydrogen assisted engine described on the video says it all.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Check the date on the story - April 1, 2014 World Exclusive: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD on Everyman Driver.

edited July 2014

@henryn said:

You are right, it is a spoof. I went back and check the publication date. And there it is: April 1. Furthermore, in the video he says he grew two inches in two months. Again, how gullible I did not catch that in the first place.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

There's one born every minute.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited July 2014

"...Again, how gullible I did not catch that in the first place..."

Lucky for you that your eagle eye Edmunds buddies were here to help. ;)

Alright, where are Mike and Imid? You two have a lot of good comments and information to offer, and we miss hearing from you.
    Most of us have been chastized (I think that's the word I am looking for) at one time or another.
    I certainly have been....I really had to tone it down, but, I learned a valuable lesson and I apply it in all situations now. I was much more opinionated than I am now (believe it or not), and I usually admire opinionated people. However, there is something to be said for for trying to understand the other guys viewpoint - even if one disagrees with it. We all have prejudices and favorites. We have to be tolerant of that in others, and know it usually comes with a reason.

No one should leave because of a small, and I do mean small disagreement - not even a disagreement, just a point really.. You both have way too much to offer to the group, so I hope you just come back and join in. No reasons or explanations needed, just come back and start posting.

All we can do is live and learn and hopefully get to be even better for it. Your knowledge and the information you share is a gift that I and I am sure we all appreciate.

group hug!

@stickguy said:
    group hug!

We can count on you......I took about 90 words to say what you did in 2!

Just heard.

Tesla will bring out a $35k Tesla 3 next year. All you electric fans should be happy.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Just heard.>
    Tesla will bring out a $35k Tesla 3 next year. All you electric fans should be happy.

From Fox News.......so it has to be true!
    Reuters reports that the so-called Gen 3 car will cost $35,000 before credits, about the same as today’s Ford Focus Electric and Chevrolet Volt. BMW will begin selling the new i3 compact next year with a base price of $42,275 and a range between 80-100 miles per charge

foxnews-$35K Tesla coming

edited July 2014
    > @oldfarmer50 said:
    > Just heard.
    >
    > Tesla will bring out a $35k Tesla 3 next year. All you electric fans should be happy.

I am looking forward to it, with a 200 mile range and only $6k more than a Leaf (with one third the range of the Tesla) it would work out for a lot of people. It might replace my current tide when the time comes.

The SUV/CUV craze

According to the NY Times, quoting the IHS, the SUV and CUV have surpassed the sedan in popularity and registrations in 2014.

Don't know what that will do for the CAFE standards but either the SUV has to shrink in size (a la sub-compact CUE) or go the hybrid route.

Personally, I like the SUV and my next new car purchase will likely be an SUV. I have been driving my wife's brand new Buick Encore and I loving it. The CUE appeals to two demographics, the empty nesters and the millenniums. Because of its compact size it is easy to park. Additionally, the high riding position improves visibility and makes it much easier for "seniors" to enter and exit.

@bwia said:
    The SUV/CUV crazePersonally, I like the SUV and my next new car purchase will likely be an SUV. I have been driving my wife's brand new Buick Encore and I loving it

On the other hand, I have had two Jeeps and the bmw X3, and I equate SUVs with being work vehicles. I prefer having a trunk where liquids and packages are separated from the passengers, I don't like the cargo area to be part of the passenger cabin, I like the lower centre of gravity a car has, I like the dynamics of driving a car. Some SUVs aren't that easy to get in and out of especially for rear seat passengers. If we do have rear seat passengers it is nicer for them to be in the passenger area, and not next to the cargo area.

I know there are great advantages in having an SUV as well, just saying, it isn't necessarily the best for everyone.

A CUV at this point is really just a tall station wagon. In my case, I do use the cargo capability of ours. I don't think a sedan could function for us as the family truckster. Plus after 16 years in a minivan my wife likes to sit up a little higher.

The RDX though is small and light vs. a real SUV. I don't think my MPG is much different than a TL gets, which would be the analogous sedan. Heck, it gets better on the highway than my older TL.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@bwia said:
    The SUV/CUV craze>
    Don't know what that will do for the CAFE standards but either the SUV has to shrink in size (a la sub-compact CUE) or go the hybrid route.

Not a whole lot. The CAFE standards that went into place in 2011 based a vehicle's fuel economy requirement on a algorithm that takes length and width into account. Basically larger vehicles have lower requirements. A Honda Fit has to meet 36 mpg CAFE/29 published target while an F150 has to meet 22 mpg CAFE/17 mpg published.

The bigger the vehicle, the lower the CAFE target. But manufacturers still have to meet an overall target. Sell too many large vehicles and it may not reach the target.

Oops, in my above post, I meant CUV, not CUE.

Stick, my daughter just bought a 2015 Acura RDX. Although she likes a lot she, however, misses the space she enjoyed of her large Honda minivan.

I returned last night from a 4 day college tour through Winston-Salem and Durham, NC, Williamsburg, VA and Washington, DC. Great bonding experience with my son. He developed some very strong opinions about what type of school he wants to go to. Looks like Georgetown and William and Mary are right up there along with a couple schools here in Boston.

Coming home we were on the NJ Turnpike. Having not been there in years, it looks like they added all new lanes on the outside and are not redoing the old lanes. Are they planning on high occupancy vehicle/high occupancy toll lanes?

We miss the space occasionally. As I knew we would. The pending trip to take my daughter to college will be one if them. But overall in 2 years, we have managed fine and love driving it. Just needs a bigger gas tank!

@driver100 said: From Fox News.......so it has to be true!
    foxnews-$35K Tesla coming

I saw it on ABC.....so I checked another source before posting. ;)

edited July 2014

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I saw it on ABC.....so I checked another source before posting. ;)

Tesla announced the Model E nee the Model 3 about 2 years ago as their next product after the Model S. Looks like the Model X (SUV) became a priority for them. IMHO, the Model X came first because it can be sold at a premium to cover the cost of the batteries. With the gigafactory, the hope is that the battery cost will drop low enough to allow for a $35K price,

edited July 2014

If it can't go 300+ on a charge, it's not going to sell very well IMO. For 35K, it should behave like a "normal" car.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    edited July 2014

And, I believe, the BMW i3 is currently on sale. It does have the option of a small generator engine to double its range. I'm thinking i8 for me, though... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346

I've driven the i3. Nice car, but not $40k worth of nice...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

@robr2 said:
    I returned last night from a 4 day college tour through Winston-Salem and Durham, NC, Williamsburg, VA and Washington, DC. Great bonding experience with my son. He developed some very strong opinions about what type of school he wants to go to. Looks like Georgetown and William and Mary are right up there along with a couple schools here in Boston.

Coming home we were on the NJ Turnpike. Having not been there in years, it looks like they added all new lanes on the outside and are not redoing the old lanes. Are they planning on high occupancy vehicle/high occupancy toll lanes?

And from those locations, what did you think of Wake Forest and Duke?

Wake and duke are both very nice. Hard to get in, especially duke. My daughter is starting at elon next month (1/2 way between the 2). We toured William & Mary too. Nice place.

The turnpike is just extending the truck lanes further south from 8A to 6. My understanding is that once the new side is full open they will shut down the old part to resurface, but who knows in this state. Been a long, nasty project that we really want done!

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

Looking at Elon for son, will visit in Oct. I may PM if I have questions. Sorry, back to topic.

edited July 2014

The College one selects is not as important as the quality of engagement a student has with his professor. So why then, do parents spend a fortune on a highly selective college misguidedly believing that it makes a difference.

As you begin thinking of a college for your child, or for a child who is not happy with his or her current college, this article and related study, might prove to be instructive.

Perhaps some of you have seen the news reports about a survey of 30,000 college graduates across the US by Gallup and Purdue University. Just thought I I'd share an Op Ed piece in the NYT by Charles M. Blow which references the poll as well as the link to the Gallup/Perdue poll results.

Here is an excerpt: The report has a strong message for students who are asking about which school to attend, for employers who are deciding which people to hire and for colleges that are negotiating their curriculums. It concluded:

“The data in this study suggest that, as far as future worker engagement and well-being are concerned, the answers could lie as much in thinking about aspects that last longer than the selectivity of an institution or any of the traditional measures of college. Instead, the answers may lie in what students are doing in college and how they are experiencing it. Those elements — more than many others measured — have a profound relationship to a graduate’s life and career.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/opinion/blow-in-college-nurturing-matters.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168848/life-college-matters-life-college.aspx

Like it or mNot, name value counts. But in particular with elon, they are big on the engagement piece. Hard to avoid getting involved there!

Feel free to IM later if you have questions.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078

@stickguy said:
    We toured William & Mary too. Nice place.

I spent nearly a week in Williamsburg last fall and explored the William and Mary campus a bit. As you say, it is a lovely spot. But I found myself wondering how the students fit in to the community and what they do when they are not in class. I didn't find Williamsburg the most fun sort of place to be honest. Actually it was kind of nice to sit on a bench near the campus and watch the young people coming and going, laughing, talking, smoking, playing music, etc. The rest of the community seemed rather touristy and stuffy, not a place a college student would enjoy very much.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    If it can't go 300+ on a charge, it's not going to sell very well IMO. For 35K, it should behave like a "normal" car.

Oh I don't know, I think that the magic number for an electric cars range would be somewhere between 150 to 200 miles. So a 200 mile range electric car could do well even if it's in the mid 30's price wise. Especially if it's a two car family and the other car is gas powered.

Case in point, most people rarely drive more than 200 miles in a day. As for me there have been a couple of times this year when I would have run a Leafs battery dry in a single day but I would have made it with a 200 mile range car. But I am hard pressed to remember a day this year where I went over 200 miles.

ab, that was how we felt about W&M. Odd set up. Turned my daughter off actually.

edited July 2014

@rbirns1 said:
    And from those locations, what did you think of Wake Forest and Duke?

My son was disappointed with both. He felt that WF was "manufactured" in that the campus is only 60 years old but they were trying too hard to make it seem as old as their original campus. The info session presenter and the tour guide were both 2nd generation Demon Deacons and that too much emphasis was put on this. Further, the campus itself isn't part of Winston-Salem - it's too far away. As for Duke, he didn't like that there are multiple campuses and that the freshman are all on one of them. He also felt that there was too much emphasis on the athletic programs and kids camping out for 3 months to get basketball tickets. Also, the undergraduate population is smaller than the graduate population making it more difficult for undergrads to get research opportunities.

Wherever he goes, it's all about being involved in clubs, sports, social opportunities. College is what you make of it.

Hey Driver, Mike, Sandy....

What are you folks smoking down in Florida?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4533368949.html

I see your point there, but I'm not so sure. Look at a 200 mile range this way---take your average car and install 7 gallon gas tanks in all of them. Think they'll sell well?

@snakeweasel said:
    Case in point, most people rarely drive more than 200 miles in a day. As for me there have been a couple of times this year when I would have run a Leafs battery dry in a single day but I would have made it with a 200 mile range car. But I am hard pressed to remember a day this year where I went over 200 miles.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Hey Driver, Mike, Sandy....

What are you folks smoking down in Florida?

Not sure what that guy is smoking but $30K for that. Now that one might be worth a low ball $4000 bid. I didn't even like those cars that much when they were new though I know some people love them. It looks cigar shaped and the rear end is bigger than the front - wierd! What did this statement mean:

Ask anyone who has driven one. I personally have driven many autos and have totaled many

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    edited July 2014

My FIL had one of those Rivieras; totally underwhelming. In terms of fit, finish, quality of interior trim, audio sound quality, etc., my wife's 318ti of the same vintage beat it hands down. I owned/loved a 1967 Riviera and to call that bar of soap on wheels a Riviera bordered on sacrilege...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

> @Mr_Shiftright said:
    > I see your point there, but I'm not so sure. Look at a 200 mile range this way---take your average car and install 7 gallon gas tanks in all of them. Think they'll sell well?

Well if you can take that "average" car and plug it into a gas pump in your garage at night and drive off each morning with a full tank I think it will.