Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    I would not let that car get away!! At $29,005.00 it is unique. It has absolutely every option available. The one I just bought was $28,140.00. I omitted 3 items that I did not want. If you add the list price of those 3 items, you get exactly $29,005. Those item are: Engine Block Heater, Trailer Towing Package & Up Country Suspension Package. I am in NJ. When I bought it April 26th there was no dealer incentive money that I was aware of. I have a good friend in Pittsburg, Pa & I called him (he sells 'em) and he told me that there was NO dealer incentive monies on them (then) & I checked the Edmund's pricing site herein, and found the $2,000 customer incentive monies, but NO dealer incentive monies. I paid $354.00 OVER invoice, MINUS the $2,000.00 customer rebate money. I might have paid a little bit more than I might have somewhere else, but I wanted to buy it at THAT dealer, because they have a superior service reputation, and were close to my home, and treat people very well. That meant more to me than getting it cheaper from some wham-bam highway discount shaft house! Just outta curiousity, please tell, what color combo is this car you're looking at?
  • csawrucsawru Member Posts: 29
    Yes it is extended Idle - used on the Police Package, which includes a HD Radiator, I think battery, a calibrated 120 MPH Speedo, among other things. It's to help keep the engine cool by sucking more air thru radiator as well as making sure the alternator keeps running fast to support extra load of lights, radios, stun guns, etc...
  • reich2reich2 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at the Patriot Blue with the agate interior. Yea, it has every option including the 3 you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.
  • reich2reich2 Member Posts: 3
    I guess I'm not too for off then. I was thinking invoice(about $26400), minus rebate/apr($1000/0.9% @ 36mo.) and I don't know if the dealers in my area get the Dealer incentive, which is $1000. In summary, you are saying that I should be able to get it for invoice (26400) - consumer rebate (1000) - dealer rebate if it applies (1000) = 24400. Thanks for the reply!
  • brad256brad256 Member Posts: 11
    Have owners with the overhead computer found them to be reliable? Yesterday, it said the distance to empty was 20 miles. The primary fuel sensor had not gone off, but I decided to refill anyway. The tank was full with only a little more than 16 gallons.

Should this be accurate and is in need of repair, or is it an unreliable toy?
  • hope4all2hope4all2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee(I am the original owner) that has a problem that the Airbag light comes on, and then I lose my entire Instrument Cluster Panel(No speedometer, gas gauge, oil pressure etc.) and it stays this way. Then sometimes it will surge and everything will return only to lose it in a few minutes or days. I have taken it to two different dealerships for a total of three trips and it is still not repaired. I was just wandering if anyone else had experienced this. Also, my warranty has run out and I think the dealerships are going to try and make me pay for the next round of repairs. (I live in Houston) Thanks in advance for any information you can send.

Lori
    Lori,

If you go to this site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Central

and select Vehicle Search, then enter the specs for your 1999 Cherokee, you should get a couple of recall notices - not all of which applies - and several other notices.. It's kind of cryptic but it may lead you to info to show a dealer;

Anyways it sounds like either a loose wiring connector going to the panel which just needs to be tightened or a loose fuse...

Good Luck and congrats on you 99

Will

• rdnmburdirdnmburdi Member Posts: 5
    yes, i did try the ext idle, the problem was only a couple of times the idle went up like i thought but the rest of the time nothing seemed to happen. at least now i know it is suppose to jump up the idle so i can track down why it is only doing it once in a while.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • steele9steele9 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Jeep at the end of January 2001 and I have had NOTHING but problems since the day I picked it up. Have you experienced any of the following?
    - the first day I had it, I had to take it in because the check engine light was on - they said they just replaced a spark plug
    - two weeks after I had it, the windshield wipers went out (of course it was snowing at the time)
    -the next month and a half it started having more problems - would shimmy and shake and have a hard time staying at an idle - would stall, check engine light was on - took it in - they SAID it was a computer software update.
    - NOW I'm having the same problem - mostly when the airconditioner is on - shakes uncontrollably and has a knocking noise. Wont stay at an idle and doesn't respond when you give it gas.

I HATE MY CAR! Anyone with similar problems???
    Except the issue with wiper motors, everthing else seems to be related to the engine running like crap. It sounds like a misfire. I'd take it to a different dealer, because as long as it's under warranty, they have to fix it or face the wrath of state lemon laws or even the BBB. Anyhow, these motors have computers which store trouble codes, etc and should allow a good tech to narrow things down. It could be a bad sensor, or loose wiring, since your Jeep is so new it's hard to se parts like spark plugs, cat. converter having worn out already. I'd keep copies of all records the service department prints out, in case you have recurring problems years down the road; it is hard on the motor to run like this. Good luck, it's likely to be some oddball little part which willmake a world of difference once they find it. And then you'll know what a wonderful vehicle you are lucky to own...
  • chaser1chaser1 Member Posts: 20
    The dash cluster problem you described is known and there is a TSB on it I believe. Had it happen on my '98 Classic on the way home one day...hit a minor bump on the interstate then everything went south - Jeep ran fine, just no instruments and check engine came on. Kinda worrisome. Dealer had to replace a connection behind the airbag I believe.

Anyway, it's covered, no worries...
  • blackhogblackhog Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 2001 Cherokee sport. love it! I've owned a '74 cj5 since 1988. but it was time to get a little more comfort in my life. anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with rear swing away tire carriers. any recommendations? also, any ideas on tow hitches that don't overly compromise the exit angle of the xj.? i do have the upcountry package which helps. any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Maybe you can get a new bumper which has the tire mount and tow receiver.

check www.quadratec.com for starters
    Anybody with a Country or a Limited, with leather interior, how is is wearing? My extreme left seat cushion panel, driver bucket seat is wearing very badly. Vehicle has 225 miles on it, and is a month old, and the one panel of the driver bucket seat (outermost panel) is almost worn out!! Anyone else??? (No, I am just 195 Lbs.)
  • stillcomstillcom Member Posts: 1
    I had a leased 99 with the same problem...hit a bump...the entire unit would shutdown..I took it to the dealer once...they said they had to "grease (dialectric??) the contacts on the instrument cluster" it worked for a while and then occasionally would go out. There was a low-tech fix, albeit temporary, that seemed to fit the style of the aging cherokee. A hard smack on the top of the Instrument panel, would always bring it back to life. But my advice...occasionally leave it off and enjoy the nonworking odometer!

You own a classic vehicle..old tech, but still better looking and better off-road than the new rounded clunky SUV versions. I just turned mine in and leased another identical Cherokee...I just had to have the last year Cherokee...by the way...there was nearly 5 thousand dollars in factory money on the deal.
  • gc94gc94 Member Posts: 2
    I hope to get some sage advice from this forum. My 90 Cherokee (4L,6cyl) keeps going through crank sensors every 4-6 months. The mechanic says the flywheel has some play in it and is knocking the sense out of the sensor. (my jeep has 185K miles on it) First of all is this plausible? Secondly, do any of you wise folks know of a way around this? Can the sensor be "wired around"?

Thanks mucho for any suggestions.
    I know this well... I replaced the sensor on my 88 Comanche a couple of years ago.

1, it's absolutely critical - the engine won't run without it. Its what tells the engine when to fire the plugs and injectors,

2, the only thing I could guess would cause Flywheel play - and on a Jeep 12 years old - could be some bearing wear or possibly a warped flywheel. I'd guess if the bearings were worn that bad you'd know it in other ways, like noises, rough running, etc. The Flywheel warpage is kind of unlikely because this is a substantial part. However the CPS is mounted to the bell housing, which bolts itself and the trany by 8 (I think) bolts...If these bolts are loose, this could cause bumping or contact..Good luck
    ...try posting the question @ www.jeepsunlimited.com you'll see the cherokee forum there...
    Any readers have either a '97 Country or a '98-'99-2000 or '01 Limited WITH leather? My question is hos is your driver's side seat's leather wearing? My car with 400 miles (2001) has an outer front seat cushion pamel that's exceptionally wrinkled. Dealer says that's pretty nromal! The entire seat looks new, but the outtermost panel looks 2 years old. What gives?
  • wmoosewmoose Member Posts: 2
    I Have 1990 Cherokee limited, The fuel tank leaks if there is more then a half tank in it. I was wondering what other years and models tank would fit in there. working with very limited budget.
    Thanks Moose.
  • andyampandyamp Member Posts: 1
    Just got my patriot blue JGCL last Monday and all is great. The gas mileage was real bad the first 200 miles, but I see it picking up towards 17 mph all around now. I will only run 87 octoane however, should I use only Shell, Mobile, Phillips 66 or Amoco?? Anyone had luck or like one brand over the other??

As for synthetic oil, anyone tried this on a new jeep. I wonder what the dealer say?? and is it worth the cost?? vs engine wear or gas mileage?

thanks andy
  • carlucarlu Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying '95 Cherokee 4d Sport w/ 132700 miles. The private party is asking $5000. The SUV is in Good condition except for an intermitent A/C. It kicks in and out at will-definetely not mine in this Florida heat. Has anybody experienced A/C prodlems with their Cherokee? How about transmission problems? I appreciate anyone's advice on whether I should buy. May God pay you back because I'm broke!

Carlu
    I use MOBIL and SHELL 90% of the time, otherwise Sunoco or Amoco. My Jeep Cherokee Limited has just 420 miles on it. At 1,000 I will drain & fill with MOBIL I.

By the way, you might wanna hop over to the GRAND Cherokee board. This is the CHEROKEE board, and see what they say....
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    Does anyone know if there are incentives right now on the Cherokee?
    I have confirmed from a dealer that there is 0.9% financing for up to 36 months and 1.9% from 37 to 60 months. However, that is all I know.
    I am wondering is there is any rebate money or dealer cash back money right now. I am in the St. Louis area if that makes a difference.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Incentives and Rebates page may help.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I checked there, it is not up to date. Edmunds does not list any type of incentives for the Cherokee. The national advertising is promoting the special finance rates and I confirmed them with 2 dealers.
    That is why I was asking if anyone knew if any other incentives were out there as well that are not showing up here at Edmunds.
    Well, that's why I put that weasel word "may" in there :-). The incentives are updated regularly but sometimes ones get overlooked or whatever. I dropped a note "upstairs". Meanwhile, maybe someone else knows something?

Steve
    Host

• tfrietfrie Member Posts: 7
    Click over to the SMART SHOPPER forum and look for "rebates and dealer incentives" link. Make a post there and "CAR MAN" will look them up for you. Good Luck....

John
  • mazamamazama Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my first Cherokee... 1998, an utterly basic, 2-door beast. My pledges to it:

Your anonymous life of never going off-road is now over! You will know the logging roads of Washington and Oregon, the remote desert ranges of Nevada, the Cottonwood trail of northern Arizona, and many roads to trailheads.

You will probably acquire considerable character with age (rock dings, windshield cracks, and more) but you will never want for timely maintenance.

You will help prevent your "stable mate", a VW Jetta turbodiesel, from an early death due to being used as a Jeep.

You could have continued your easy life, going to soccer games and the pizza house, but your luck has changed...for the better. You're going to be used as a Jeep!
    $2,000.00 Cash from Factory to buyer, UNLESS you finance with dealer, then it's $1,000.00 cash back & 0.9 financing. There is no factory-to-dealer rebate yet. Dealer stock is fast depleting, andmany dealers have but 2 or 3 left, some have sold out. They are being snapped up. The two that seem to be in stock mostly are Sports with very little optional equipment with MSRPs of $23,000 or Limiteds with MSRPs of $28,100 with every option. The middle of the pack, Sports with a few goodies are running out fast.
    OK this is straight from the Hoss's mouth, so to speak:

http://www.jeepunpaved.com/

Cherokee

Current national consumer incentives

U.S. cash allowance of $2,000 on 2001 models is available through 9/4/01.

or

Chrysler Financial's special alternative APR financing is available on 2001 models through 9/4/01: 0.9% short term APR financing or 1.9% long term APR financing is available to qualified buyers. See your Jeep dealer for complete details and eligibility requirements.

or

Eligible retail customers may be eligible for a U.S. cash allowance of $1,000 plus Chrysler Financial's special alternative APR financing on select 2001 models available through 9/4/01. Short term APR financing of 0.9% or long term APR financing of 2.9%-3.9% is available to qualified buyers under this program. See your Jeep dealer for complete details and eligibility requirements.

or

LOWER YOUR MONTHLY LEASE PAYMENTS! Special lease cash allowance available on select 2001 models through 9/4/01. Please see your Jeep dealer for complete details and eligibility requirements.

and

Qualified lessees who are returning from a lease on a Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge or Jeep vehicle may be eligible for a special loyalty lease cash allowance of $2,000 on eligible 2001 Cherokee models. Offer ends 9/4/01. Please see your Jeep dealer for details.

Anyhow, I bought mine from a dealer in Sauk City, WI a few months ago... they have about 20 left. They gave me about $5900 off the Invoice price for a 36 month lease which I'll turn around and buyoff at the end. The "Special Lease Cash" can be about $4000, plus if you get the $2000 loyalty cash it's a chunk of cash for other things. Good Luck. Besides even if you don't get quite what you want, the Cherokee Aftermarket will likely have all you want and then some...

Will

Not aware of any aftermarket on the headrests, although I understand they are available on export XJ's - maybe a dealer/wrecking yard in Canada/Mexico could help

No lift - 30" tires, but you'll have to adjust the steering stops out with washers to keep the tires from rubbing on the control arms (15 cents in parts, and a 2 minute job) May get some fender rubbing off-road

2" lift - pretty much the same size as above - you could put 31" on - but they'll rub the fenders off road most likely

If transfer case leaked and went dry - this SHOULD BE A WARRANTY FIX! If dealer balks - go over their head to D/C district manager
    To follow up on our conversation, the Jeep incentive programs currently on Edmunds (including ones for the Cherokee) are regional only and do not cover the entire U.S. This is because we did not have any national program info for July and the regional info obtained did not cover all regions. When the data is refreshed on Monday, all of the national customer Jeep programs for August will be added.

The data people are working on getting the dealer cash programs and may have those up too. The only way to ensure that we have all of the programs all of the time is to obtain the data directly from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and we're in discussion with them on this now.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    Host

• ellafantellafant Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Whenever I use the A/C or Vent, I get a loud trumpeting noise that comes and goes intermittently (enough to get everybody's attention). It actually sounds like an elephant (my jeep is gray, too ... hmmmm). Please e-mail me if you know what the problem is ... mkjsb@earthlink.net
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Could it be leaves? I've had a problem similar to yours in all my vehicles. One time a cloud of snow came out in the middle of winter. If it's not leaves, it could be something loose flapping under the airflow.
  • mmateyakmmateyak Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking into buying a used (recently turned in lease) Cherokee. I found a pretty nice ride...a 1996 Cherokee Country 4 door, 4WD. My sister has a 2001 Cherokee Sport, and I am accustomed to the ride. People come over from sports cars and expect the same soft, luxury ride in an SUV...but that just doesnt happen.

I like the rugged Cherokee and IMO the inline 4.0 can't be beat. Superb power and exhibits a commanding off-road experience. I mainly want the vehicle for a dependable ride to and from work (about 40 miles total a day) and for the woods/mountains throughout the year.

I'm looking into the 1996 Country because:

A) its relatively inexpensive (dealer quote $10,800...but I can probably get it for about $8500)

B) its older...with some aesthetic scratches, etc...so I wont mind running it through the woods

C) a test drive (about 20 miles long) revealed a nice smooth driving vehicle. Of course, a stiff suspension and occassionally "rough" ride...but as to be expected. Transmission shifts up and down smoothly...no gasket leaks underneath the car...engine looks clean...all new wiring, new water pump, tires are in good condition, power everything works great...AC blows like an arctic blast, etc etc.

Anyone know of any issues with the 1996 Cherokees?

Does anyone know if they 1996 Cherokee came with standard ABS and limited slip rear diff?

I'm pretty new to the Jeep scene...but I like the vehicle for my purposes and am considering purchasing a used one very soon (within the next 2 weeks). I'm looking into Jeep Cherokees from 1995-1998 generally because they will be 65,000 miles or under and won't be too too pricey.

Should I stay away from any years? or models? Sport? Country? Classic? etc? Any potential problems with Cherokees (electrical? engine? anything?) that I should be aware of?

I plan on having a mechanic check out the vehicle I will purchase, and I have a Carfax membership to run checks on their VINs...so anything more than that I should do...please let me know! ;)

Any advice and/or suggestions on what to look for and what to stay away from (year and model wise) would be great!

Thanks,
    mmateyak
  • piseasaapiseasaa Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1995 gjc, v8, 4dr, 4x4 for $10,500 which included a 12 month/12k mile warranty.
    I has 87k miles. I just heard about the transmission problem jumping into reverse while idling in park. Anyone had any such problem.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'd look for a 97 or newer. They updated the interior styling (much better IMO), improved the electrical systems to remove some gremlins, and updated the cooling system on the I6 to cut down on overheating problems. They may have done more, but that's what I know of. I personally would spend a few extra buck, or buy something with higher miles to get into the updated models.

Good luck,
    Al
  • gc94gc94 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! I checked out jeepsunlimited.com and that helped a bunch. I now know my jeep is not the only one with a CPS problem--and the first step is admitting it. As per usual, I should have remembered from my TR6 days to always check the electical connections first. But I guess I thought that only Lucas was the prince of darkness. I am glad that this is pretty routine and does not suggest a warped flywheel. I thought that was a bit farfetched since my jeep runs ok and has no more bottom end noise than any other with more than 150K miles that I've heard.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to answer my question. My mechanic was cluless.
  • checkmecheckme Member Posts: 73
    When I bought my Cherokee, I knew that I would never take it off-road. I live in a major city.

I bought the jeep anyway, because I wanted something that really was capable of going off-road and taking punishment, even though it never would. I didn't want one of those imitation SUV's which are so common today. I wanted the real thing.

Sure, I knew that the Jeep might not ride or handle as well as an imitation truck, and might be a little noisier. But I didn't care.

After buying my Jeep, I sometimes wondered whether it really could handle off-road conditions. It is obviously tough, and I didn't doubt that it could do it. I just wanted to see
    for myself.

However, I lived in the Midwest. It is flat in the Midwest, and there are very few opportunities for serious off-roading. Thus I continued to wonder.

Last week, however, I drove from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California. This is a 2000 mile drive and includes hundreds of miles through the Rocky Mountains, the Mojave desert, and Utah arroyos and salt flats.

One day while driving on I-70 through Utah, an area so rural that gas stations really are 100 miles apart- though it is a major interestate, very few cars travel on it, I saw a rugged stretch of desert. I knew suddenly that I had to try driving my Jeep through it. An exit was coming up. I exited the interestate. At the end of of the exit ramp, there was a sign which pointed to the next town...and then the paved road ended.

I got on the dirt road and, a few hundred yards later, got completely off-road and drove through the desert. How did the jeep perform? Flawlessly. I drove up and sideways over 30 to 45 degree grades without a problem. The jeep ate up ditches that would have literally destroyed my old sedan. The four-wheel drive made short work of sand. It was amazing!

If you have ever wondered whether your jeep really can do all of those off-road things, now you know...it can!
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    it's a Jeep! :)

Btw, I live in a flat area too and while rocks can be a little hard to find, mud is in plentiful supply.

I suggest start here:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/

Check out the trails section for pictures of people having fun. Watch out, though, it's addictive. I'm already planning mods and the vehicle only has 3500 miles on it.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's not hard to find off-roading. Many clubs out there you can join. I find mud to be a blast, not so much mud pits, but just winding out through the forest on trails. Love my Jeep just as much on-road as off. I'd be ashamed to be seen in one of the wimp mobiles out there that claim to be 4X4's.
    Funny! Well, I almost bought, I guess what you'd call a "Wimp-Mobile" ~ I did buy a Cherokee Limited, but here's the reason(s). I have little time and no interest in off-roading, nor mud, nor forests, nor deserts nor rock climbing, nor Jeep-Jamborees, etc, etc. WHAT I did want 4x4 for was for the winter. I live in New Jersey, work "in the city" and live in the residential suburbs. There are no deserts, sand hills nor mud around these parts. BUT, I do need to get to work, and out to food shop and to the bank & the post office. With my other car, which is rear wheel drive, it's useless in anything more than a coating of snow....one inch, Okay .....2 inches, park it!! So, that's is why I wanted 4x4. I decided on the Cherokee because it is 63 inches tall and can fit in my garage (height-wise). All other SUVs are MUCH taller, and also because I like the square - down to business - lOOk of the thing! I have kept my luxuries on board, what with heated dual 6-way leather power seats, CD & Cassette and time delay headlights, etc. So, you see, many of us in Snow Country have that to deal with daily, and mud running and desert runs don't even enter our minds!! We each have different needs. If I lived in Florida, or was retired, I would not own any 4x4 - but rather a Corvette convertible !
  • mathteachermathteacher Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good rear air deflector for my 98 Cherokee Sport. I have a bug shield and ventshades by Autoventshade. They don't make a rear deflector though. I know that they don't do much, but I want one to set off the back of my Jeep. I know Mopar makes one, but you have to drill holes to install it though and I don't want one like that. I have seen the GTS aerowing and the EGR dustguard from their websites, but they are shown on other suv's. I don't know what they look like on a Jeep though. Has anyone out their installed one that looks good? If so, let me know. Thanks.
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    My wife is a Wrangler driver, but hope some of you can help me out!!

(Copied from Wrangler Board!)

Signed my wife and father-in-law up for a Jeep Jamboree in the NC Mountains this fall. It was an anniversary present and I have to say it has been the biggest hit for a present that I have ever given. And they don't go until October!

Anybody been to one and have advice on how to maximize the experience?

Thanks!
  • realsuvrealsuv Member Posts: 1
    For roof racks for the Cherokee-- Which ones are the best, factory upgrade towers, etc, Yakima or Thule? I want strongest and most secure.
  • mhall02mhall02 Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2000 Sport with 39,000 miles, lately when parallel parking or turning the steering wheel quickly w/ the AC on and slowly moving, I hear a 'whooomp' sound and vibration coming from what sounds like the power steering pump. The pump is full of fluid and it the wheel is not turned all the way so I think the pump is going bad. Has anyone had this problem? The belt seems OK, not too tight or loose. Luckily we have an extended warranty (six year,100,000 miles) but seems kind of strange. I have a 23 year old Ford truck w/ the original power steering pump and put over 180,000 miles on previous Dodge Shadow w/ no problems with the pump. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Jeep's brand new Cherokee is ready to do battle with Land Rover's best

Back on the warpath

Steve
    Host

• yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    I have a 2000 as well, same sound from the steering, I just think its how it sounds. I will bring it up next time its at the dealer, mine is still under warranty. I doubt there is anything wrong, most likely the tires are gripping hard and it is putting it under stress at a certain point in its turning radius.