Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    breld said:

I agree - the green works with the Outback. Always has.

I never liked the Forest Green on it, though. Our '98 Forester was that color. Awful.

BTW, I did read that M5 vs SS article. Pretty interesting.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Bradd: Gorgeous cars in Fairfield County: Greenwich Concours d'Elegance. Mind blowing!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    breld said:
    Speaking of green, did anyone else see the latest Motor Trend (I think that was the one), that has a comparison test between a classic E39 M5 and a new Chevy SS? The Chevy they drove was in a metallic green that did the car no favors. Other than that, it was a fun read - the review naturally gushed over the M5, but certainly showed appreciation for Chevy making a manual, V-8 sedan in this day and age.
    I'm not a subscriber but that sounds interesting. The M5 may still be engaging to drive, but I can attest a 12+ year old E39 is not a joy to own. 
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I'm back to seriously thinking about a Hyundai Genesis. I've been reading over on the dedicated forums, and even got a pre-approval from the credit union. 1.59% for 60 months, on 3 year old or newer, with 20% down.

There are a lot of CPO cars out there, most of them former rental cars, which I don't want. And the Hyundai CPO does not extend the bumper to bumper protection past the normal 5/60. The dealer apparently pays about $1k for the CPO, and the main thing you get is the 10/100 powertrain warranty reinstated (normally, the 10/100 is only for the original owner).

If I can get a 2013 with 2.5 years and 25k miles of factory warranty remaining, I’m good with that.

Now I need to go drive a V6, I’ve only driven a V8. Up to 2012, you could get a 4.6 V8, but from 2013 onwards you only have two options: The 3.8 V6 or the 5.0 V8 in the R-Spec. I would rather have the V8, but I do not want the 19 inch wheels with rubber band tires.

Hmmm…. Decisions, decisions.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    There's still a Forester of that vintage around here in that bright green. It gets better with several layers of dirt caked on it. We had a 99 in red, a good looking color. Although, as Tom and Ray once said, the interior cloth seats looked like someone had thrown up dog biscuits all over them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    breld said:

Speaking of green, did anyone else see the latest Motor Trend (I think that was the one), that has a comparison test between a classic E39 M5 and a new Chevy SS?

The Chevy they drove was in a metallic green that did the car no favors.

Other than that, it was a fun read - the review naturally gushed over the M5, but certainly showed appreciation for Chevy making a manual, V-8 sedan in this day and age.

The story was in Road & Track. I think the SS is a decent car, but for a few grand less I believe I'd rather have a Challenger R/T Scat Pack.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited March 2015
    I think I've scratched the WRX off my short list.

Took another drive of the Civic Si yesterday, followed by the WRX again. I really want to like the WRX, and do indeed appreciate the AWD and the performance it offers - I just find myself enjoying more running through the gears, running up the RPMs, on something like the Civic. Basically, it's no fun driving a car like the WRX slow.

So, I think I'm down to the Mazda 3s and the Civic Si, which has re-emerged as a contender. The performance, while perhaps slightly in favor of the Si, is more similar than not between the two. For me, it's more about deciding if I like the more anonymous, classy look of the Mazda, or the more, uh, youthful and fun image of the Civic. The Mazda, to me, exudes more of a BMW-lite feel to it. I find the Civic, with its standard spoiler, bright colors and two-tone red and black seats, fun and appealing in a different way. Just not sure if it will get tiring over time.

As always, opinions are welcome. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    henryn said:

I'm back to seriously thinking about a Hyundai Genesis. I've been reading over on the dedicated forums, and even got a pre-approval from the credit union. 1.59% for 60 months, on 3 year old or newer, with 20% down.

There are a lot of CPO cars out there, most of them former rental cars, which I don't want. And the Hyundai CPO does not extend the bumper to bumper protection past the normal 5/60. The dealer apparently pays about $1k for the CPO, and the main thing you get is the 10/100 powertrain warranty reinstated (normally, the 10/100 is only for the original owner).

If I can get a 2013 with 2.5 years and 25k miles of factory warranty remaining, I’m good with that.

Now I need to go drive a V6, I’ve only driven a V8. Up to 2012, you could get a 4.6 V8, but from 2013 onwards you only have two options: The 3.8 V6 or the 5.0 V8 in the R-Spec. I would rather have the V8, but I do not want the 19 inch wheels with rubber band tires.

Hmmm…. Decisions, decisions.

I have read that Hyundai has measurably improved the ride every year up to and including the 2015 model. That seems a bit subjective, but you might want to test drive the 2013, 2014 and 2015 just to see if that is your take. Sounds like fun to me. Enjoy the hunt.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove a 2013 with 43k on the clock at work and was impressed at the amount of pull the 6 cylinder engine had. Comfy front seat though the dash was a bit too big for my tastes. It rented fairly quickly after we got it back to our store so obviously, folks seem to like them. Nice vehicle but as for me, a bit too big of a vehicle for a d d.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Wife let the Sirius expire and all I've gotten is a couple of mail pieces as of late. Expires on the 14th so next week will give them a buzz to see what we can do...my goal is to get it for $7/month and go up in increments of $.25 with $8.25/month being my limit, same as with the Tucson. Think I'll be unhappy without it as I do listen all the time on my 1/2 hour commute each way...have gotten used to it this past year so am hoping to get it for the price I want to pay.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    The 2013 Hyundai suspension is better than the previous years as noted. The 2015 model suspension puts the Genesis at the top of its class with the 3 suspension modes. The 2015 Genesis redesigned exterior look is kind of bland and boring looking. Inside the cabin is very upscale and nice. Ultra quiet inside cruising at 90 mph. On par if not better than the Lexus 460

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You have to let it expire first, love without it a week, and then let them send you the introductory offer again. It's a stupid game, but that's the model they've chosen.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

Wife let the Sirius expire and all I've gotten is a couple of mail pieces as of late. Expires on the 14th so next week will give them a buzz to see what we can do...my goal is to get it for $7/month and go up in increments of $.25 with $8.25/month being my limit, same as with the Tucson. Think I'll be unhappy without it as I do listen all the time on my 1/2 hour commute each way...have gotten used to it this past year so am hoping to get it for the price I want to pay.

Just tell them you want to cancel because of cost and you don't use it that much.They will transfer you to an extension that will give you the $8 rate. I've been getting that price for 5 years.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I recently renewed the Sirius/XM in my Accord for 6 months for $25:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/shop.siriusxm.com
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    Lots of people pay a bit more to avoid calling twice a year. But if you just go with the six month program, you can save. The $25 deals may be going to five months though when you call in.
  • Options
    Considering that I'm still in my 1st 3 months freebie, not sure that'll work but it's worth a shot. I now when I canceled it on the Tucson, it was a bit difficult to get through to the sales lady that I just wanted a refund...they are trained to make it extremely difficult, hoping the customer will just give up and agree to almost anything...I was about at a 10 on the annoyance scale when she finally understood, I wanted a refund! It's definitely a want thing and not a necessary one though I do like the selections I hear on "The Bridge" and the "60's On 6", two of my favorites...and I know I'd miss not having it. But, again, I want it for my price so will just see how things go...thinking of getting in touch with them late evening and see if I can swing a good deal here.

• Options
    suydam said:

You have to let it expire first, love without it a week, and then let them send you the introductory offer again. It's a stupid game, but that's the model they've chosen.

Agreed. I do the same thing every year. I call once they send the introductory offer again.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited March 2015
    I've only gotten the 5 mos. at $25 + fees. I always call within a week of subscription expiration, go directly to cancellation dept., and say I would only renew for the promotional rate. BTW, if they gave me a rate I didn't like I'd refuse it until they gave me one I liked. The whole process is quicker than it used to be; they're definitely on to us but are totally willing to deal.
  • Options
    I do not want to pay an activation fee so will take all your advice when I call the cancellation department next week. Just have to find the phone number as I've put the promotional material I got recently in that same place where the lost sock goes in the dryer...never to be seen again!

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have to see what's to be had on that. The Prius has SiriusXM but not active. You get one channel that tells you to call. Wonder what kind of deal there is to be had.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

I do not want to pay an activation fee so will take all your advice when I call the cancellation department next week. Just have to find the phone number as I've put the promotional material I got recently in that same place where the lost sock goes in the dryer...never to be seen again!

Don't worry. They will send another one. But if you don't want to give them your credit car information (which you do not want to do), they want $2 to send an invoice. I won't pay the $2 either. They will get irritated, but they will waive the $2 invoice fee too. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Unfortunately, they have my credit card number from my Tucson but could always say I got rid of that credit card and see what happens. Luckily I've still got some time here to decide...in no hurry right this moment.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Breld, ever find a stick ILX to try? A more Luxo Si.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Unfortunately, they have my credit card number from my Tucson but could always say I got rid of that credit card and see what happens. Luckily I've still got some time here to decide...in no hurry right this moment.

Not a problem. Just note the day you activate the account and call one year later. If you are late, they will auto charge your card the max but if you threaten to cancel they will refund the amount and reenroll you at the low rate. Just happened to me and all is well.
  • Options
    fezo said:

I have to see what's to be had on that. The Prius has SiriusXM but not active. You get one channel that tells you to call. Wonder what kind of deal there is to be had.

I got on their mailing list when I got my used van that has a sat radio. I assume Dodge "sold" the info to them.

• Options
    Those who live in colder climates, what is the deal with people leaving their windshield wipers propped straight up in the winter? Seems like everyone on my street does it. Only one on the GLI will go up like that due to the hood positioning.

I understand it is so the wipers don't get frozen to the windshield, but if there's ice on the windshield, I'm going to be warming up the car before I go anywhere, unfreezing the wipers in the process. If the wipers can't handle that, they are due to be replaced anyway!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    corvette said:

Those who live in colder climates, what is the deal with people leaving their windshield wipers propped straight up in the winter? Seems like everyone on my street does it. Only one on the GLI will go up like that due to the hood positioning.

I understand it is so the wipers don't get frozen to the windshield, but if there's ice on the windshield, I'm going to be warming up the car before I go anywhere, unfreezing the wipers in the process. If the wipers can't handle that, they are due to be replaced anyway!

It tears up the wiper blades when they freeze to the windshield.. You can't scrape the windshield, unless you peel the wipers off first... Move a little farther North, and we'll show you how it's done... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    kyfdx said:
    Those who live in colder climates, what is the deal with people leaving their windshield wipers propped straight up in the winter? Seems like everyone on my street does it. Only one on the GLI will go up like that due to the hood positioning. I understand it is so the wipers don't get frozen to the windshield, but if there's ice on the windshield, I'm going to be warming up the car before I go anywhere, unfreezing the wipers in the process. If the wipers can't handle that, they are due to be replaced anyway!
    It tears up the wiper blades when they freeze to the windshield.. You can't scrape the windshield, unless you peel the wipers off first... Move a little farther North, and we'll show you how it's done... ;)
    What he said. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    The odd thing you'll see in my neighborhood is cars with their hoods up. Just about everyone who doesn't park their car in their garage props their hood up at home.

Apparently the kangaroo rats won't nest in the engine compartment if it's "exposed".

The guy right next door converted his garage into a bedroom so he parks his two SUVs out front. He keeps two shop lights plugged in all the time and a timer comes on at dark. When they get home from work they park the respective vehicles over the shop lights and apparently that keeps the critters from making their home in the cars overnight.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Stever

Man that is some funny stuff . I'm a city boy I no nothing about that...
    You see a car hood up in NY in the morning you been robbed. I guess we all have are problems..

Dam kangaroo's are what I call the three dudes running down the block with my Alternator and radio ....

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    On my 2013 GTI [ and most other recent VWs ] there is
    a 'Service Position' for the wipers.
    Generally press the wiper lever down with the ignition
    switch off.
    This parks them at or near straight up...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

switch off.

I will have to try that. Not now, though, there's about 6" of snow on the car. Guess the Germans did think of everything. One thing I noticed is that if you have the wipers on low, and come to a stop, they automatically switch to intermittent.

If I preheat the car, though, the ice (and wipers) loosen from the windshield. Maybe this problem isn't as bad in the tropical climate of Louisville. :p
  • Options
    They do have wiper blades that are sold for winter use. Can't speak to their effectiveness.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    corvette said:

rayainsw said:

switch off.

I will have to try that. Not now, though, there's about 6" of snow on the car. Guess the Germans did think of everything. One thing I noticed is that if you have the wipers on low, and come to a stop, they automatically switch to intermittent.

If I preheat the car, though, the ice (and wipers) loosen from the windshield. Maybe this problem isn't as bad in the tropical climate of Louisville. :p
    Yeah... when you get a lot of snow and ice, waiting on the defroster, before scraping, really isn't an option... Scrape first, then defrost..

Got lucky on that storm, yesterday... We only got 3", but Georgetown and Maysville both got a foot..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Consumer Reports says wipers are noticeably worse after six months of use. I still have the OEM blades on my two year old car and they seem to work fine.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    The wiper blades on my Ram are pushing 2 1/2 years old. But, as luck would happen, one started to have a thin piece begin to peel off on Monday. In the aftermath of...yup, you guess it...an ice storm! Forgot to raise my wipers the night before...
  • Options
    I've learned, the hard way, that to purchase cheap replacement wipers ultimately means you'll replace them more frequently. Between the winter snow, the thawing of said snow, the mag chloride used on the major roads, and the summer rain storms, we use our wipers a lot here in Colorado. And, I've always got at least 1, if not 2, gallon jugs of wiper fluid in the garage to keep all three cars topped off in the winter.

On another topic, I finally got around to loading all my fuel data into a spreadsheet for the Elantra. 78 tanks of gas so far:

The most I've paid for a gallon of gas is $3.54; the least, $1.66.

Best tank of gas resulted in 33.23 MPG; the worst, 23.27.

I'm averaging just under 28 MPG to date - city number is 27, and since 80-90% of my driving is city based, I'm not surprised by that number.

My fuel costs are running $.11 per mile.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    That's a good MPG figure for so much city driving.

I just started the GLI for about 25 minutes and the wiper blades unfroze without issue. Got the snow brushed off. Now I just need to do the driveway. :'(

Thanks for the tip, Ray, the "service position" trick works on my wipers as well.
  • Options
    corvette said:

That's a good MPG figure for so much city driving.

I just started the GLI for about 25 minutes and the wiper blades unfroze without issue. Got the snow brushed off. Now I just need to do the driveway. :'(

Thanks for the tip, Ray, the "service position" trick works on my wipers as well.

There is an ECO mode for the transmission and engine; yeah, it makes for lazier throttle response, but I rarely get above 45 around town, so I figure it's worth it to have on.

As you know, the Elantra is leased so I'll have to make a decision in November 2016 about what to do. My latest obsession is the Crosstrek XV Hybrid - 30/34 MPG and AWD. Would make a good all weather pizza hauler, I should think. The dealer where we got the Outback has a few of them on the lot as used - asking $27-28K for them with <20K miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguy said:

Not surprisingly, I haven't found one local to try out. If one comes up, I'll give it a shot, but in some ways, I find the Si a little more appealing.

• Options
    breld said:

stickguy said:

Not surprisingly, I haven't found one local to try out. If one comes up, I'll give it a shot, but in some ways, I find the Si a little more appealing.
    The Si/ILX don't have the same level of features that the Mazda 3 does, correct? I still say go with the 3s Touring or GT.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Just to update your guys. We decided NOT to move forward on the '15 MB S550 4matic. We'll figure out something else. I didn't even try to work new numbers... re-living the smugness in my mind back in October came flooding back.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

stickguy said:

The Si/ILX don't have the same level of features that the Mazda 3 does, correct? I still say go with the 3s Touring or GT.
    Yup - they're effectively about the same price. The Mazda, loaded up, may be $1k more, but the list of things you get on the Mazda that you don't with the Honda is pretty extensive: leather seats, power driver's seat, auto-dimming mirror, blind-spot, rear cross traffic alert, heads-up display. The Honda doesn't really have anything the Mazda doesn't, other than that LaneWatch feature - but I prefer the actual BSM the Mazda has.

• Options
    saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    I saw the leading topic here, read the first post, then fast forwarded to the last post and can see the topic covers just about anything. With that said I wanted to share my experiences after spending way too much time researching the right car to buy and then seeking quotes via e-mail while visiting some lots to look at colors, see touch feel and drive the vehicle.

I never discus pricing while at the delaership. When I'm there it's either to kick the tires, ask a few questions or sign the deal. That means I negotiate by phone or e-mail. I live in an area that is well employed and flush with cash, which often means I might travel two hours or more to find the right vehicle at the right price. I begin my contact with random internet requests for quotes or "e-pricing" as some dealers call it. I find it both frustrating and amusing that we're told to "click here" for a "no hassle" special internet quote, only to be sent an e-mail asking me to set up a special "VIP test drive" or some other hokey hoop to jump through in order to get a simple quote.

Eventually someone with the right equipment on their lot will respond with a very well detail quote, including all fees and a vin with all the equipment and the price looks to be genuinely aggressive. It's the aha moment where I have finally found a dealer that is willing to honor the "no hassle price" that the internet tries to promise and give me a price that's attractive.

Out of 7 requests for my no hassle special e-price, I get 6 requests for more information and one internet sales manager who sees exactly what I'm looking for and gives me a true no hassle price. He's two hours away, but he's cut to the chase without any games. That's the way I like it and that's they guy that will get my business.

I did eventually get pricing from other dealers, but their bids were not as competitive and their offer to match other offers just doesn't sit well with me because the guy that was straight with me in the first place is the guy who should get my business.
  • Options

I saw the leading topic here, read the first post, then fast forwarded to the last post and can see the topic covers just about anything. With that said I wanted to share my experiences after spending way too much time researching the right car to buy and then seeking quotes via e-mail while visiting some lots to look at colors, see touch feel and drive the vehicle.

I never discus pricing while at the delaership. When I'm there it's either to kick the tires, ask a few questions or sign the deal. That means I negotiate by phone or e-mail. I live in an area that is well employed and flush with cash, which often means I might travel two hours or more to find the right vehicle at the right price. I begin my contact with random internet requests for quotes or "e-pricing" as some dealers call it. I find it both frustrating and amusing that we're told to "click here" for a "no hassle" special internet quote, only to be sent an e-mail asking me to set up a special "VIP test drive" or some other hokey hoop to jump through in order to get a simple quote.

Eventually someone with the right equipment on their lot will respond with a very well detail quote, including all fees and a vin with all the equipment and the price looks to be genuinely aggressive. It's the aha moment where I have finally found a dealer that is willing to honor the "no hassle price" that the internet tries to promise and give me a price that's attractive.

Out of 7 requests for my no hassle special e-price, I get 6 requests for more information and one internet sales manager who sees exactly what I'm looking for and gives me a true no hassle price. He's two hours away, but he's cut to the chase without any games. That's the way I like it and that's they guy that will get my business.

I did eventually get pricing from other dealers, but their bids were not as competitive and their offer to match other offers just doesn't sit well with me because the guy that was straight with me in the first place is the guy who should get my business.

Welcome, Steve .. and what car was this that you are looking for? Stick around; you'll find that someone here is always looking for their next ride.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I never noticed this either:
    Windshield wiper system is equipped with Alternating Park Position (APP) function). Every other time the wipers are witched off, the APP function causes the wiper arms to move upward slightly from the lowest position, causing the wiper blade rubbers to "flip" or tilt in a manner that "alternates" from the previous switch-off event. APP function serves to increase wiper blade service life by alternating the wiper rubber contact angle at the windshield after use.
    Looks like they introduced this feature on the Phaeton and it made its way to their other models. I can't help but wonder whether this actually makes them last longer or is just gimmicky over-engineering because someone thought it would be neat.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited March 2015
    Speaking of wiper blades just before my wife and I and our two rescue cats, Pomeranian and Akita Chow moved from Alamogordo, NM, to Moses Lake, WA, I took our 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed in to Martin Tire in Alamogordo. I got Valvoline synthetic oil put in, new wiper blades and an air filter all done for only $80 plus a few cents, including tax. I am really going to miss that place for service, I got my tires from them for a really good price, too.

I wanted to comment on the wiper blades. As soon as I turned them on to use them I noticed how buttery-smooth they swiped the glass. Sweet...I hope I can find a fair service garage here in Moses Lake when I need service again.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    You're living in ML now, iluv?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    corvette said:

Well, it sorta depends on your habits. I tend to prop them up if it is (or is forecast to be) snowing that day. The benefit to me is that it is easier to both dust off snow and to scrape the windshield if they are out of the way. Yes, I could prop them up at the time of the cleaning, but that's just more wear/tear on the blades because they are highly likely to be frozen to the glass.

In this day of auto-starts, there's no need for that by a lot of folks because their cars run for 20-30 min or more before they ever get to them, but I don't do that. I start it, clean off the car, belt up, and go.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited March 2015
    Where I used to work, the company parking lot always sported lots of cars with wiper blades pointed to the sky on inclement winter days. In climates like Nova Scotia's, you get a lot of freezing rain or ice pellet activity which can bond wiper blades to the glass and crust them with ice. The other thing is that when you park on a snowy day after driving to work, the windshield is warm and wet with melted snow. After you park, that freezes and ices up your wipers. I parked in a covered area so I never got into the habit, but I understood why they did it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6