Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Paint Problems

13»

Comments

• majorwardmajorward Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Our white 05 Odyssey, that we purchased new, is peeling also. It started on the roof - between the sunroof and driver's door, close to the windshield - and has now spread to other areas of the roof, both front doors and hood. When I met with the service manager of our local dealership he was very familiar with the porblem on the blue ones and discussed the recall with me, mentioning that there had not been a problem with any other color. He knew exactly where to look for additional problems - places I had not - under the hood and inside the fender wells. He took numerous pictures and sent to Honda America. I was called last week with an offer of $1,000 toward repainting the affected areas, estimated at $2,200. I consider that as an unsult since he told me that they had paid for the entire amount for the boue vehicles.. I feel as if we are being punished and in a sense discriminated against because of the color of vehicle we bought. I am not accepting any "offer" as I feel there are other white Odysseys that are experiencing the same problem. They have obviously acknowledged an issue with other colors. I say it's time for everyone to bond together and demand the same - or better - treatment. It's been a little over a month since your post, have you had any additional communication with them since?
  • jgp9jgp9 Member Posts: 8
    Joel Here again. Summary: My 2004 Midnight Blue Odyssey had many repaints under the paint recall (hood, sliding doors, roof) and w/ pushing the regional manager, even got some other areas (not on the recall) painted for zero cost. That was several years ago. Now my right passenger side front fender is peeling in one spot. I have 190K miles on the car and just want to keep it for another couple of years. It appears to only be one spot so I'm going to fix this one myself. It won't look like the body shop, but my only goal is to keep it from peeling further.
  • rabbitacrerabbitacre Member Posts: 3
    The primer is the problem and those that are lucky to have their dealer work with them are the fortunate ones. Most of us have been rudely told that it is past the date for recall, too bad that the issue continues.... etc. Instead, everyone needs to let all their friends and family how terrible service is from Honda USA. They will continue with these practices.
  • sam249sam249 Member Posts: 2
    After several paint repairs and now out of warranty with paint still peeling in new places, I'm curious if anyone has been able to bring a suit against Honda. My resale value is dramatically diminished by this defect. I bought a Honda because of the excellent resale capability.
  • rudy386rudy386 Member Posts: 5
    A lawsuit is definitely warranted, probably the only way Honda would recognize the problem. I'm surprised some law firm hasn't jumped on the opportunity.
  • tim1963tim1963 Member Posts: 3
    I wish there was a class action suit. My midnight blue paint started peeling on one small location at about 8 years. They did agree to repaint the section with me paying 1/2 the cost. Now the minivan is 10 years old and I have sheets of paint coming off the roof as well as peeling in other locations. I'm so frustarted when I look at it. The minivan has about 80K miles on it. I debate on getting a price and having the entire vehicle repainted, but at 10 years old I don't know if it's worth it. I've come across quite a few of them with the same issue. I even saw a later model van with (dark blue) that was peeling on the front hood. I don't think I will buy a Honda again since they didn't back up this problem when they knew they had an issue.
  • dj_dopsdj_dops Member Posts: 2
    Just contacted Honda about the paint peal on my midnight blue 2004 Honda Odyssey - they said the extension on the 7 year warranty had expired so there was nothing they could go. I pressed them and informed them I wanted to talk to a manager and after a brief hold the agent said I have a case open and they would review it for reimbursement. If this fails I am suggesting looking into a class action law suit. This is a known/documented manufacturing defect as evidence of the service bulletin:
    http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish/en/oem/manuals/Documents/honda_info_03Honda- OdysseyPaintPeel_08031.pdf
  • sam249sam249 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'm going in for my 4th stint at re-painting. Under the back door latch, the passenger door side panel in peeling at the window, and a very large spot on the roof, this time its a 50/50 deal. This is not right, it is their fault. Keep me informed. Why have they been allowed to only repaint the portions that are peeling at that time? The entire car is going to peel! Obviously this is an entire vehicle issue.
  • dj_dopsdj_dops Member Posts: 2
    WARNING for those whom own or are to purchase a Honda Odyssey. There is a known/documented manufacturing paint defect as evidence of the service bulletin:
    http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish/en/oem/manuals/Documents/honda_info_03Honda- - OdysseyPaintPeel_08031.pdf
    This issue appears not to be exclusive to the Midnight Blue color, but White, Grey and other years as well.
    I just spoke with "Ray" a Team Lead at American Honda -> they are offering no assistance with regards to this documented manufacturing defect as my vehicle is outside the extended warranty. The service Bulletin 08-031 was stated to have been mailed to me (though they did not have my address on file) but never received. I think a Class Action Lawsuit might be appropriate at this time. From what I can gather the primer was of low quality and applied in such a way that resulted in poor adherence to the paint thus resulting in the paint peeling.
  • tscottatscotta Member Posts: 3
    We have had problems galore with this paint issue - car is headed in for its 4th repaint here soon. My wife and I joke - this van will be 50 shades of blue before it is all said and done.

The biggest question I can't get anyone to answer is why the corrective action section of the bullentin is ignored - it specifically says that if any of the listed areas peel to repaint all the listed areas. This to me exemplifies Honda - fix it right (or build it right) the first time and make it last. Unfortunately, their behavior is so untypical.

In these situations the only way for a company such as Honda to acknowledge wrong behavior and to change behavior is to sue them. Class action suit is probably warranted and can be argued for but each state has different laws that this would probably fall under which means it would have to probably be brought in federal court. I have spoken with attorney and on initial discussions thinks we could have argument under federal statues.

In the end, there is right and wrong and unfortunately Honda finds themselves on the wrong side of fence on how they have handled this issue. For months now I have asked why the corrective action section of bullentin has been blatenly ignored and it is obvious Honda does not want to address it - lawsuit is probably only way for them to address it.
    Did you ever get anywhere on class action suit?
  • stefani_mariestefani_marie Member Posts: 1
    I happened to come across this thread. I own a 2003 Navy Blue Honda Odyssey. I bought it used and seriously the paint is literally just peeling off in sheets... EVERYWHERE! I thought maybe it was the previous owners neglect or leaving it in the sun but the inside of the van is pristine and very well cared for so I believe it had been garaged (at least they claim it has been) Anyways got online to find some paint to help prevent the paint that's peeling away to see if I can stop/or prevent more from peeling away but sounds like this is not going to solve my problems as it is peeling away around windows, doors, hood, roof, and anywhere at all that the water settles more often when it rains seems to be the worst. I am totally on board for this lawsuit if it happens. I just wanted to be a part of this conversation and just signed up. I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem. I thought maybe it was just an isolated incident.
    If you look through the thread you will find link to the service bulletin which identifies the problem. If your VIN starts with 5FN you have one of the problem vans.

They extended warranty to 2011 and as you will see many on here have experienced Honda not honoring it because it is obviously 2013. The only saving grace I think we have is that we encountered problems in late 2008 and have been dealing with them ever since. And we are one of fortunate ones that bought car from dealer that labeled the car "certified" How it was labeled certified with this black cloud hanging over it is beyond our thinking. Also very fortunate that this particular dealer has worked with us to make it right, still working with them on 4th issue so I am not clear how the current problem will be resolved. Our hope is to end this once and for all but not optomistic that this will be last problem we have with paint.
  • johnl888johnl888 Member Posts: 1
    We Just took delivery of a new 2014 odyssey and notice dust under the paint all over the van, anybody have the same issue?
  • lamiprolamipro Member Posts: 1

@johnl888 said:
    We Just took delivery of a new 2014 odyssey and notice dust under the paint all over the van, anybody have the same issue?

I have a 2013 odyssey ex black that I took delivery of in july. I noticed the dust under the paint but I also noticed the sanding marks under the paint ( front fenders, hood and rear wheel wels) and the body color doesn't match the bumper colors. When I talked to the service manager because it looked as if the van had been repainted, he examined it and found the same thing I did. He brought in a 2014 Odyssey EX and we found the same problems. He offered to buff the areas affected to witch I replied that the grooves are so deep that a simple buff would not work.( that plus the fact that if it did work what would be the thickness of the paint once done) He then offered to repaint the vehicle to witch I replied that neither of his solutions were acceptable to me because in the long run I would be the one loosing money in this affair.
    If I don't do anything and later try to trade-this vehicule and the person evaluating it noticed the sanding marks he will think the van was repainted and how much damage was there. If I doo get it replainted the difference in thickness of the paint will send of bells as to why was it repainted and how much damage was there.
    I was in contact with honda canada and the costumer rep was useless and told me I had to go with the solutions brought forward by the dealer.
    So either way we the customers are loosers and big corporations are winners.

That sucks!

• jusjadon1jusjadon1 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey Gold and the paint is stripping. I did not get any recall from Honda regarding the paint issue. Where/how can I contact them about getting compensation for this problem ?

• jtstexasjtstexas Member Posts: 1

I have a 2004 odyssey with the dark green paint. The paint on the hood of the van has been peeling/chipping off. I have talked to Honda about it but they refuse to take any responsibility. Has anyone else had this problem with the green paint?

• klavmanklavman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 White Odyssey Van. Paint is peeling off it. Talked to Honda Corporate and they wont do anything cause there is a not an active recall. They say "stuff like this happens". IT DOES? I have owned many Hondas and wont buy another one. You should be able to peel off the paint from the car like a banana!! Has been washed and waxed regularly and garage kept its whole life and I am the only owner. They did not care.
  • alexgsxr1000alexgsxr1000 Member Posts: 3
    I also have the same problem as Klavman. 08 Honda Odyssey and the paint on the roof is peeling off.
    Forgot to mention, the paint is white also.
  • kellybarrohkellybarroh Member Posts: 1
    Calling all 09 WHITE Odyssey owners: I am collecting as many stories as I can of folks who have 09 WHITE Odysseys who have paint flaking issues. I am collecting data to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Ohio Attorney General's Office as my 09 white paint if flaking horribly and Honda is refusing to help fix or take responsibility. Strength in numbers! Thanks!
  • squanglesquangle Member Posts: 1
    White 2009 Odyssey paint flaking in big pieces. Hand washed, no machine. Honda sounds dodgy at this point, claiming that Civics have had problems, not Odysseys. If they don't recognize this as a manufacturing defect I'll be going back to Toyotas.
  • dave_dudedave_dude Member Posts: 14
    Toyotas have the same problem, if not worse. The problem with new car paints is: they are what is called "all-in-one" - that is a paint mix that contains a primer, top coat, and clear coat - all in ONE coat. THAT is the real problem. New auto paint from the manufacturer is total bulls**t. If you really want a quality paint job on your personal conveyance, get one that has separate coatings for: primer, rust preventative, top coat (multiple layers), and the clear coat (multiple layers). The absolute best uses a chemical Rust Preventative, then an Epoxy Primer that seals the metal from ever rusting, then 5 or more top coats, followed by 5 or more clear coats. New top coat paints use low VOC volatile chemicals that have low aroma and are more environmentally friendly, BUT... there's a trade-off - they also suck in quality and are very difficult to apply for good results. They even make water-based top coats that are just as difficult to achieve good results. The best top coat paints are gonna have a really bad smell, use volatile chemicals, and require stringent environmental application & control methods (such as a Paint Booth & personal protective equipment including a breathing apparatus) to use properly - but also will give the BEST results.

AND, there's even a "user-friendly" alternative that a lot (a lot) of people are attracted to that gives good results for even your common everyday backyard mechanic - it's called "Plasti-Dip" or "Wrap". Click here to see what I'm talking about.
  • Dark Blue 2007 Odyssey paint flaking off the hood in big pieces and bubbling on one of the sliding doors. I called Honda USA and they said there was a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty extension, but that we'd passed that limit. Insurance won't cover the repair because it's a known defect.

Any suggestions on how to get some relief from Honda or our auto insurance?
  • 2huffsmom2huffsmom Member Posts: 1
    This is unbelievable. I have a 2008 White Honda Odyssey EXL with paint peeling around the sunroof, top driver, and passenger doors. It is Awful and the overhead view is worse. I've never had this problem with my other Hondas dating back to 94/97 Civics and 95 Accord. This definitely sounds like a manufacturing issue that is being swept under the rug.  
    I left a comment before about my roof peeling off on my 2008 White Honda Odyssey EX-L but now is on both sides by the sliding doors. Tiis is disappointing. I really like my minivan but this is unacceptable.
  • ssharpessharpe Member Posts: 1

Calling all 09 WHITE Odyssey owners: I am collecting as many stories as I can of folks who have 09 WHITE Odysseys who have paint flaking issues. I am collecting data to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Ohio Attorney General's Office as my 09 white paint if flaking horribly and Honda is refusing to help fix or take responsibility. Strength in numbers! Thanks!

My 2009 Odyssey just started peeling last week. Called both the dealership and Honda Corporate. Taking car in next week. Hoping for help. Years ago with my Honda Accord they paid for a new transmission, we paid for labor. We were so pleased. 
  • jason2000jason2000 Member Posts: 1
    I own 2008 white Honda Odyssey and the paint started to peel a few years ago. Went to Open Honda in Route 1 in NJ and got turned away. Called Honda US HQ and was told the warranty expired. They did not care. These happened a few years ago. They already lost me as a customer and as well as my many recommendations to relatives and friends. They do not just lose me but many already. This will be my last Honda and I don't care even if they have a car/van/suv of the year out there.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, nobody's going to honor a paint warranty on a 10 year old van. I don't expect your next new car's maker would treat you any differently. I do believe though, that some automaker's finishes are more durable than others.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I remember back in the 70's when the car manufactureres wers scrambling to comply with all of the new enviromental laws concerning paint. GM really struggled and the results showed up quickly.

Todays, paint has come a long way and with clear coat waxing a car isn't even necessary in many cases.

A lot depends on whether you garage the car or not, where you live, the environmental conditions around you, and normal maintenance. So many variables here, so it's hard to pin down a cause for deterioration over time.
  • qrislarsenqrislarsen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey EX. It's got paint peeling in 3 places. Started about a year ago. Dealer said to contact corporate. Corporate said to contact the dealer. GRRR never buying a Honda again that's for sure.
    What's going on? Clearcoat peeling?