Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Truly safe?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How to find bad drivers on the road near you (Washington Post)

There's an app for that....
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I just read the car's nameplate. Tells me everything I need to know. B)
  • Options
    I'm thinking that app will crash in about four months when every last one of us winds up in their database.
  • Options
    dumb app, IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    What ever happened to those suction cup darts we were going to shoot at other people's cars when they cut us off? (Daily Beacon)

In other news, manufacturers continue to build for the test.

Risks Higher for Front-Seat Passengers in Some S.U.V. Crashes, Tests Show
    (NY Times)

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I don't understand how it will track car's locations without shooting a sticky magnetized sensor beacon onto their sheet metal.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    "For $130, the Automatic Pro comes with a lifetime no-monthly-fee cell connection. It isn’t as full-service as some competitors that provide help with less serious car troubles, but it offers the ability to locate your car pretty much anywhere, anytime, and ongoing assistance for serious crashes."

Plugs into your OBD-II port and will call 911 (and your spouse) if it detects a crash. Well, first, a human tries to call you, then they call 911.

A 911 Lifeline for Your Car, No Fees Required (WSJ registration link but you may find it on Google with a headline search)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    "A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: "Smart motorways smooth traffic flow and cut congestion for millions of motorists, with evidence from trials showing they are just as safe as regular motorways.

"Enforcement is a matter for the police and it is clear that speeding costs lives. However, we have been clear for a number of years that speed cameras should not be used to generate revenue."

Smart motorways catch more than 1,000 speeding drivers a week (BBC)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Sounds to me like the limits might be too low, if so many are exceeding them. I doubt anyone will be required to prove the limits are optimal.

Four characters describe modern Britain: 1984
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Exactly. I read one story where some punks were trying to break into a house and the homeowner threatened them with a knife. SHE received a warning from the police.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Well laws are written to be broken. If they didn't want any law broken, they'd make the speed limit 125mph.
  • Options

Well laws are written to be broken. If they didn't want any law broken, they'd make the speed limit 125mph.

or 225 MPH for the Supercar owners.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I'm okay with 225 mph speed limits for Eric Von Poseur III. Let Darwin sort it out.
  • Options
    L.A. drivers are terrible. Could dashboard cams help make things safer for everyone? (LA Times)

Got a cheapo at Walmart the other day to play with. On sale for $7. @fintail is our resident expert on them around here - fortunately he hasn't had to use his to convince a cop or insurance agent who ran the light.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I recently bought one of these to run in the fintail - I wanted something cheap as it won't be used a lot and won't be hardwired, and the name amused me. Ratings are good, too. It might also be good to bring along in a rental car, etc. I feel kind of naked without one.

I am a hyper-attentive driver, which causes me some aggravation from all of the newbies who fogged a mirror and were given a license (as we can't discriminate on lack of ability), or those who don't take driving seriously. I originally got a cam as much for safety as to capture scenic drives and odd cars, but it is good peace of mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The last time this was tried, it failed. Maybe the results will be different this time - of course, without actual enforcement and penalties with teeth, it is all for naught.
  • Options
    It's going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle.
  • Options
    So all the gazillions of people using their cell phones + WAZE are never supposed to touch their phone screens? Gimme a break....
  • Options
    I don't buy it. Virtually every modern device has voice recognition these days, even the lambasted-by-some system in my MB has it and it works with barely any issues. Works fine on my phone, too. If someone is too lazy to set it up, or too challenged to get it working, they need to be reined in.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    My 2er and i3 have phone integration that is totally hands-free. I can even send and receive texts using Siri without ever touching my phone.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

My 2er and i3 have phone integration that is totally hands-free. I can even send and receive texts using Siri without ever touching my phone.

Yep - I was doing that last week. The person I was texting with lives in CA, where anyone holding a cell phone can be cited. He suggested I concentrate on driving and not texting. I told him I wasn't touching my phone and doing everything by voice.

I switched Siri to have an Australian accent. Way cool.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Yeah, fine, all you need to do is buy a Mercedes or BMW to conform to the new law.
  • Options
    Pretty sure it works with all smartphones, especially those made in the past few years of software and hardware refinements. If the user can't figure it out, it's on them. There's no excuse.

Reminds me of the Tesla dolt I saw awhile ago cutting across multiple lanes with no signal, and a phone to his ear. That deserves a nice ticket - another showy pseudo-techie.
  • Options
    Yes, it does work if you don't mind screaming to your smartphone that's two feet away and getting weird results now and then. It's not pleasant, but it is doable, granted.

You realize of course that all this "autonomy" is really to bombard you with advertising, sell you stuff and track what you do. Safety is not the goal. If safety was the goal, there would be tiers for licensing based on competence and special roadways dedicated to complete hands-off driving--and that will happen....can you say "never"?

• Options
    It's not about total safety, yes. But it is better than manual entry. One is going to get the advertising and tracking if you hold and type or hold it to your ear, too. This isn't about perfection or autonomy, it is about a marginal improvement, and maybe forcing some accountability.

Total safety is never the goal. It's first about revenue, from speed enforcement and enforcement cameras, to licensing. Show me the money - make-work projects, platinum benefits, crony capitalism. As you say, if it was about safety, I wouldn't be able to hop behind the wheel of a Veyron or 42' motorhome with my fogged-the-mirror meander in a Prius license (yet I need an endorsement for a little Vespa lol),
  • Options
    Isn't that hilarious. You can walk in, probably half-drunk, at 18 years of age, and buy a new Corvette (or have Daddy buy it for you), but if you want to drive a 125cc Vespa you have to not only pass a written and eye test (even IF you have a driver's license or heavy truck license!) but you have to pass the pylon test as well.
  • Options
    I'm more afraid of the teenagers driving 5,000+ lb SUV's than I am of them driving Granddad's Corvette.
  • Options
    I'd support "class" licensing 100%.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Some beg to be protected from their own stupidity - and we slide a little more on the slippery slope towards the controlled dystopian idiocracy foretold by Orwell and Ballard. Think of the safety!
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    fintail said:

Some beg to be protected from their own stupidity - and we slide a little more on the slippery slope towards the controlled dystopian idiocracy foretold by Orwell and Ballard. Think of the safety!

Well, since people apparently now can't be bothered to stay in their lane by themselves, or step on the brake, or be aware of what's around their vehicle, yada, yada... why should we burden them with having to NOT use their phone while behind the wheel?? B)
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:

fintail said:

Well, since people apparently now can't be bothered to stay in their lane by themselves, or step on the brake, or be aware of what's around their vehicle, yada, yada... why should we burden them with having to NOT use their phone while behind the wheel?? B)
    Are we talking about the idiots trying to sue Apple for not making Facetime useless while the phone is in a moving car?

I feel for their tragic loss of life, but do you really have to go after the deep pockets with absurdity.
  • Options
    Lawyers, can't live with em, can't, well...

I still have to wonder how much safer roads would be if law enforcement would branch out past arbitrary lowest common denominator speed fixation.
  • Options
    anzael_008anzael_008 Member Posts: 6
    In case of accident revoke the license.
  • Options
    drivingdavedrivingdave Member Posts: 9
    IMO, it's not about the laws it's about being a responsible driver. Driving is a privilege, not a right, that has deadly consequences if it's not taken seriously. It's hard to avoid all of the distractions but we must when driving.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just he way Dad taught me, but I try to approach driving as if I'm piloting a plane. A lot of similarities, instrument scans, situational awareness, etc. I try to NEVER assume that the other driver is going to do the right, expected, or legal thing.
  • Options
    Safety tip: if it's dark, turn on your lights. I know it's staying light a little later now, but the amount of cars I see in the relative dark (streetlights on, most other cars on) seems to be growing. That kind of inattention makes me wonder else might be done wrong. Also, please signal and observe crosswalks.
  • Options
    BIG pet peeve... DRL's at night are not headlights.
  • Options
    My last 3 cars all had auto headlights. I let the sensor decide.
  • Options
    I see the DRL thing too, but lately, it is simply no lights. This evening was especially bad. It is even more perplexing when they do it in the rain. Another safety hint: lights are as much about being seen as seeing.

My last 3 cars have had auto lights too. I always leave it on auto and let the car do it.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    There is something to be said for low tech. My 2016 Jetta has automatic DRL's, but the switch on the dashboard only has ON or OFF. No dash lights with the DRLs to confuse you.

The Outback and the MINI both have auto headlights.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I am surprised auto lights haven't been mandated yet, it's idiot-proofing that might not be a bad idea.

Didn't see any no-lighters this evening, but no-signalers and crosswalk crowders were almost trying to be noticed.
  • Options
    I see quite a few states have adopted the wiper law, where you have to have headlights on if wipers are on.

In addition to headlights, I have fog lights and running lights---so I can put 6 beams on the road if I have to.
  • Options
    Be sure to run with fog lights on at all times, as is the custom here. I think some believe it looks cool.

Speaking of safety, the competent local authorities now seem to revel in putting down a layer of de-icer and sometimes salty sludge any time the air temperature approaches freezing. It doesn't matter if the dewpoint is far below the air temperature, and there's no ice around for 50 miles - if it's cold, slather roadways in gunk that'll make a mess on cars once it rains in a few days. I wonder if it is either fear of being sued just in case someone slips, or if someone's brother in law has the chemical contract. Or maybe overcompensation for past botched winter weather efforts.
  • Options
    One thing that may be confusing some folks about turning on their lights is the way dashboard lights work, at least from what I see in my own vehicles. The dash lights come on when you start the car, and dim a bit when you turn on the headlights. If you're someplace at night like a shopping center parking lot that is well lit, you can start the car and the dash lights up. You can see well outside of the car and can THINK your headlights are on. This caught me a few times at first. My 2012 Versa hatch has a high beam indicator light only. The 2014 Note also has a headlights on indicator light as well, so I get the feeling someone took note (pardon the pun) of the issue :)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    fintail said:

local authorities now seem to revel in putting down a layer of de-icer and sometimes salty sludge any time the air temperature approaches freezing. s.

That stuff is really corrosive. The beet juice they use is the molasses that is rinsed off the sugar crystals.
    No wonder it's goey and sticky after hitting my car. That means it will stick to the undersides of cars as well as stick to the road with the salt in it. Makes me realize even more I need to rinse off the underside of my cars.

I'd like to know the pH of the solution as well. The way it seems to speed up corrosion on certain metal parts makes me suspect it's above 7.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I wonder if it will have any impacts on the rust-free rep this area has in terms of old cars. Of course, most modern cars are disposable anyway, so it might not matter.

The stuff used here leaves an oily film, I can see it on my dark colored car, and it really makes a mess on the windshield. I'll rinse my car off too, once the cold snaps are over.

That stuff is really corrosive. The beet juice they use is the molasses that is rinsed off the sugar crystals.
    No wonder it's goey and sticky after hitting my car. That means it will stick to the undersides of cars as well as stick to the road with the salt in it. Makes me realize even more I need to rinse off the underside of my cars.

I'd like to know the pH of the solution as well. The way it seems to speed up corrosion on certain metal parts makes me suspect it's above 7.