Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    Shifty - combine that 15% with the senior menu and you get a real deal!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,086
    Except you're eating at Denny's.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,343
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

I think I pay about 35% less here, as I guess there is less fraud, and although the drivers are timid and inept, it's not FL-crazy B)

I haven't shopped around in years, but I suspect there's not a huge amount to be saved, due to the type/cost of car. At least the old car is cheap to insure.

abacomike said:

I pay $1901.00 a year for my car insurance down here in the fraud capital of the USA Insurance is so expensive down here it's like a car payment every month!  :'(

Right now we pay $2000 a year but that includes two drivers, three cars, and one "oopsie" on our record. Coverage is maxed out at 500/500.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited January 2017
    abacomike said:

fintail said:

I wonder if BMW uses the same OEM Valeo wipers as MB. On my first W212 several years ago, the blades skipped and chattered constantly - intolerable to me on a new car. I took it in a few times to have them changed out, then gave up as new ones would revert to the old ways in a week.

I ended up buying a set of Bosch Icons, removing the rubber blade from the holder, and placing the blade in the MB holder (as they look a lot better). Problem solved. I actually moved them on to my next car, as the blade holders were the same. The new W212 has a slightly different blade holder design, and doesn't skip nearly as much.

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Windshield wipers - RATS! I think I mentioned this last week - had to go to the BMW dealership's service dept. regarding that traffic alert at the bottom of the dash - the one that refused to delete no matter what I did. In any case, the driver's side windshield wiper was constantly "chattering" in moderate to heavy rain. I was told that they can only replace those once every year. Luckily, the car was less than 2 weeks old so they were able to charge it back to the new car department. BMW no longer has the same free maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, for brakes, belts, wipers, etc. They stopped that in 2016. All they offer now is free oil-changes every year or 10,000 miles, for 3 years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first.. Filters, belts, etc., are no longer covered. That's why I bought the extended maintenance program which is transferrable to the next owner. That covers every conceivable maintenance item for the 3 years. Hope I never have to use it.
    I could fix that wiper problem for you in ten seconds.....
    Thanks Shifty, but you're too late. Maybe next time - but promise me I'll still have a windshield when you've fixed the chattering wipers - OK? :o

A simple twist of the wrist and we're done! The problem is the angle of attack of the wiper blade on the windshield glass. Too much friction.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,634
    suydam said:

Except you're eating at Denny's.

Their Bourbon Chicken Skillet dinner is one of my favorite meals. $9.50 less 15%, can't make it at home for that.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

fintail said:

I wonder if BMW uses the same OEM Valeo wipers as MB. On my first W212 several years ago, the blades skipped and chattered constantly - intolerable to me on a new car. I took it in a few times to have them changed out, then gave up as new ones would revert to the old ways in a week.

I ended up buying a set of Bosch Icons, removing the rubber blade from the holder, and placing the blade in the MB holder (as they look a lot better). Problem solved. I actually moved them on to my next car, as the blade holders were the same. The new W212 has a slightly different blade holder design, and doesn't skip nearly as much.

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Windshield wipers - RATS! I think I mentioned this last week - had to go to the BMW dealership's service dept. regarding that traffic alert at the bottom of the dash - the one that refused to delete no matter what I did. In any case, the driver's side windshield wiper was constantly "chattering" in moderate to heavy rain. I was told that they can only replace those once every year. Luckily, the car was less than 2 weeks old so they were able to charge it back to the new car department. BMW no longer has the same free maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, for brakes, belts, wipers, etc. They stopped that in 2016. All they offer now is free oil-changes every year or 10,000 miles, for 3 years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first.. Filters, belts, etc., are no longer covered. That's why I bought the extended maintenance program which is transferrable to the next owner. That covers every conceivable maintenance item for the 3 years. Hope I never have to use it.
    I could fix that wiper problem for you in ten seconds.....
    Thanks Shifty, but you're too late. Maybe next time - but promise me I'll still have a windshield when you've fixed the chattering wipers - OK?
    :o
    A simple twist of the wrist and we're done! The problem is the angle of attack of the wiper blade on the windshield glass. Too much friction.

You mean once you have broken it off you are done? :o

No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later.

Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B)

I have the hands of a surgeon.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,929
    I think for both cars I am close to $1600 year, but that's just one driver, no issues, and I don't recall my coverage limits.

Right now we pay $2000 a year but that includes two drivers, three cars, and one "oopsie" on our record. Coverage is maxed out at 500/500.

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,929
    I had the dealer do that on the first car with the issue. They even measured it on the wipers vs factory specs. It was fine. MB forums have mention of jerky wiper action, too. In this case, it seems to be the blades.

No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 117,600
    Roughly $2400/yr for the Outback and the Jetta here in Colorado.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,219
    Michaell said:

I don't pay near that on four vehicles. Do you have all sorts of extras like collision, comprehensive or full replacement value policies.

Maybe I'm in a good zip code.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 8,361
    jipster said:

driver100 said:

Well happy freakin' new year. Came home from church to find my water heater washing the basement walls. Got the water turned off and went to work trying to find somebody to come on New Years Day. Quote was $1300 which included a $100 holiday charge. I was a lay down and didn't even argue the price.

Do they build these things to blow up at the worst possible time?

That's why air conditioners breakdown on the hottest days, furnaces go on the coldest days, electricity goes off just when you fill up your freezer and have reset all your clocks, my E400 gets detroyed on the day I fill it up with $60 worth of gas. It is a law of nature!

Another thing....I hate when that kind of thing happens, you get it fixed and you got nothing to show for it, that same money could have bought a new 55 inch TV installed with a wall bracket.

I'll add windshield cracks, from kicked up rock, on Mrs. Jips last two new  cars,and daughter backing out of driveway and clipping the rear quarter panel of my new Civic. Blood pressure much better with a 5-7 year old car. 

If you had a new Hyundai that got clipped, your blood pressure would also be better. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Gee I'm way less than that for two cars---but only one has comp/collision.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 117,600

Michaell said:

I don't pay near that on four vehicles. Do you have all sorts of extras like collision, comprehensive or full replacement value policies.

Collision and Comprehensive on both. Rental car and uninsured motorist. 100/300 limits.

Metro Denver is becoming an expensive place to live, in all respects.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    When cities grow fast, it is not usually the developers or realtors that pay the freight...
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited January 2017
    I'm at $435.60 per year for the '09 Grand Caravan, two drivers, 100/300 coverage, $500 deductible.

That's high for around here since it seems most people have zero coverage. :p
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

stever said:

I switched a month before my wreck. The new company hasn't blinked (yet) at adequately handling my claim.

Funny, I didn't switch for any savings this time, just didn't feel good about the company or my agent.

Insurance companies are extremely impersonal about stuff like that. They don't care if you "win" and they lose--they don't act all hang-dog about it; and they don't pump their fists when they beat you up on a claim. All they care about is the bottom line at the end of the year. Black ink.

And they don't care if you "go somewhere else" because someone out there is coming from "somewhere else". They don't care if your rental car is dirty, or if you accidentally get an upgrade to a Maserati on their dime and crow about it. They simply do not care as long as there's a + sign on Dec 31, 2016 (or whenever their fiscal year closes out).

So my advice is to be unemotional and cold-blooded when you negotiate anything with them, because that's how they are. It's strictly business.

I agree and found that out this week. Our insurance back home is $2400 for the two cars - 2015 Mercedes with full replacement value.

Here we are up to $2400 a year, for one car, a 2014 Mercedes. I decided to double check as we have been with Allstate for 4 years now....they usually start taking advantage of you after 3 years.

I call AARP (yeh, I belong to get their discounts and to read all the hearing aid ads in their magazine), and give all my information to the Hartford agent. Quotes me a rate of $2500 for the year. Tell him I'm not switching to pay more! He says but don't you want to make AARP stronger and have the power of them behind you? I said thanks for confirming the rate I am paying is not too bad. :'(
    I'm not fond of AARP at the moment---they have dropped the ball so many times politically that I'm not sure what their lobbyists are actually accomplishing.
    All I know is it gives me a 15% discount at Denny's!
    And Outback.

jmonroe

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,409
    fintail said:
    I had the dealer do that on the first car with the issue. They even measured it on the wipers vs factory specs. It was fine. MB forums have mention of jerky wiper action, too. In this case, it seems to be the blades.
    No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later. Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B) I have the hands of a surgeon.
    With the hands of a surgeon, I sure hope he (Shifty) has some good malpractice insurance!  :o

2018 Mercedes S450

fintail said:

I think for both cars I am close to $1600 year, but that's just one driver, no issues, and I don't recall my coverage limits.

I'm standing pat then. Ours for 2 cars just cracks $1200 a year.

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,916
    insurance certainly varies wildly. I think I am about $2,400 too. Thankfully, NJ is no where near as bad as it used to be. That though is for 3 cars, all full coverage, and includes a (recently turned) 21 YO daughter. So overall, not complaining.

I am, however, looking forward to 1.5 years from now when she graduates, and I booted her from the policy. She will need a car of her own, in her name, and insurance. So I might be able to get me and the wife on AARP or some such and pay half what I pay now. One of the many $ savings to come when she gets out of my wallet (offset of course by losing a tax deduction, but overall, I will be way ahead!)

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,086
    Her rates won't go down till about 25. It's a real wallop to insure a young driver. Much worse for boys.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later. Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B) I have the hands of a surgeon.
    I've been known to be a bit "frugal" from time to time. The wiper blades on my Mercury Mariner chatter like a lovestruck baboon. I've actually thought a light angler incesion along the bottom of the blade may provide better results. If I'm still typing in the next couple of days, it means I still have my thumbs... and the "operation" a success.
    I carry an umbrella policy with State Farm. Vehicle and personal liability coverage up to $1 million. Probably overkill. A friend got sued and lost quite a bit from a car accident. I believe it runs about an extra $400 a year. Thinking of dropping it.
    edited January 2017
    stickguy said:
    insurance certainly varies wildly. I think I am about $2,400 too. Thankfully, NJ is no where near as bad as it used to be. That though is for 3 cars, all full coverage, and includes a (recently turned) 21 YO daughter. So overall, not complaining. I am, however, looking forward to 1.5 years from now when she graduates, and I booted her from the policy. She will need a car of her own, in her name, and insurance. So I might be able to get me and the wife on AARP or some such and pay half what I pay now. One of the many $ savings to come when she gets out of my wallet (offset of course by losing a tax deduction, but overall, I will be way ahead!)
    Quite similar to my situation stickguy. Three cars. My daughter turned 21 in April. Daughter going to Grad school, so looking at another 2.5 years of tuition.  :'(
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 414
    I didn't realize that FL auto insurance was so high. My 3 cars with high limits just renewed for $1472.00/year.

2007 Miata PRHT, 2014 BMW 535d X-drive, 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Ext. cab with 6.2 V-8

Sounds more like the hands of a chiropractor doing a neck crack!

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Collision and Comprehensive on both. Rental car and uninsured motorist. 100/300 limits.

Metro Denver is becoming an expensive place to live, in all respects.
    Interesting, I've got similar coverage/limits on two cars and just collision at the same level on the other two.

I think I'm up to about $1500 a year on the bunch. One thing that gets me a break is I combine car with home/farm ins. The latter insurance has been creeping up because of the product liability I carry. Maybe that's how they make their money, give me a break on one and jack up the other.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It seems Florida insurance rates are high because of all the uninsured drivers and all the accidents. We were out for about a 60 minute drive the other day, and saw 3 car transport trucks filled with cars that had been in accidents...they all looked brand new.

Lots of accidents here with cars entering the highway going the wrong way. One on the Sunshine Bridge a few days ago. Then there are the older people always jumping the curb and plowing into a store. Those happen almost daily.

The zigzagging in and out, cutting off, tailgating, talking and texting is out of control, and the roads are busier every month. A big change too is with so much building and new surveys cars have to come out onto major highways, and get across lanes of traffic.......it isn't pleasant...I try to minimize my exposure time.

driver100 said:

It seems Florida insurance rates are high because of all the uninsured drivers and all the accidents. We were out for about a 60 minute drive the other day, and saw 3 car transport trucks filled with cars that had been in accidents...they all looked brand new.

Lots of accidents here with cars entering the highway going the wrong way. One on the Sunshine Bridge a few days ago. Then there are the older people always jumping the curb and plowing into a store. Those happen almost daily.

The zigzagging in and out, cutting off, tailgating, talking and texting is out of control, and the roads are busier every month. A big change too is with so much building and new surveys cars have to come out onto major highways, and get across lanes of traffic.......it isn't pleasant...I try to minimize my exposure time.

Maybe you should get one of those self driving cars then you could do what my wife does, put a sleeping mask over your eyes.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,337
    On my RAV4 here in the Caribbean I had a big surprise. A 60% reduction in premium due to a "claims-free" record for the past year. So my new premium is $1,185 EC or $441 US. The curious thing about auto insurance here is that the policy will never pay more than its initial value policy limit.

For example, if the car was initially insured for $30,000, that is the maximum lifetime amount that can be paid out (including property and personal injury). In subsequent years, the policy value is reduced by depreciation and any claims paid. Using the above example, if in year 2, a $3,000 claim was filed and the estimated depreciation is $5,000, the new insured value would be $22,000. Another gotcha is the deductible, which is $1,500 per incident for all claims at fault or not. As might be expected there are many "mango tree" mechanics taking advantage of those too afraid to report the below $1,500 dings and fender benders to their insurance companies.

And for homeowners' insurance the deductible is 20%, making premiums high and claims few. Again, understandable since hurricanes are common and property damage can be extensive.