Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    chun8143chun8143 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if my honda 3/36k basic warranty covers things like the whipper washer spray hose ? I just realized today that there is a leak some where along the hose in my brand new crv (how is that even possible with a new car ?)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2017
    I think that should be covered. It's not normal wear and tear or a cosmetic flaw. Even wiper blade inserts are covered for the first six months of ownership. Just visit or call the dealer.
  • Options
    haidonghaidong Member Posts: 17
    Bought CRV EX AWD $24,250 before the Doc and Tax
    Zip code: 02153
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats @haidong!
  • Options
    bpat2140bpat2140 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Stever,
    I need some help!! Looking to purchase a CR-V LX AWD in 08244. The best qoute I'm getting right now is 22,648$ (excluding tax and tags) with an MSRP of 25,795$.

The OTD price is 24632$, is this reasonable?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    beege128beege128 Member Posts: 2
    @stever or anyone else with some CRV knowledge

Looking to purchase two CRVs...

2016 CRV EX-L AWD & 2017 CRV EX-L AWD in/around 22015-Northern Virginia

2016: No quote yet

2017 Quoted:
    MSRP $30,977
    Dest: $900
    VA Taxes: $1,386.72
    VA Tags: $58.75
    Processing: $599
    OTD: $33,921.47

I purchased a 2015 EX-L AWD when they were new and got it OTD for $27,887, I really don't think it would go up $6K in two years (even with the new model). What should I be paying?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    beege128 said:

@stever or anyone else with some CRV knowledge

Looking to purchase two CRVs...

2016 CRV EX-L AWD & 2017 CRV EX-L AWD in/around 22015-Northern Virginia

2016: No quote yet

2017 Quoted:
    MSRP $30,977
    Dest: $900
    VA Taxes: $1,386.72
    VA Tags: $58.75
    Processing: $599
    OTD: $33,921.47

I purchased a 2015 EX-L AWD when they were new and got it OTD for $27,887, I really don't think it would go up $6K in two years (even with the new model). What should I be paying?

The 2017 is a brand-new model that just came out in the last week. It could easily have transaction prices that are that much more than what you negotiated in 2015.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    beege128beege128 Member Posts: 2
    @kyfdx, thanks for the note. Clarified with the dealer and there are no additional transaction prices and they are starting to make deals that are more reasonable.
  • Options
    silversurfer08silversurfer08 Member Posts: 2
    chun8143 said:

Ending up with the 2016 crv ex for 24.2k before taxes and fees. Beside destination fee and ttl, nothinh else was added. I live in queens ny. I went to the dealer through costco auto program but the costco price was not a good deal. I told the dealer that i received another offer from another dealer through edmunds.com for 24.2k. I didnt expect him to match the offer but he did.

Congrats! Just purchased the same trim for $23.9k (destination of $900 included) before doc fee & TTL (Chicago, 9.5%) so bare bones (no accessories or extended warranty except some free wheel locks ($25) they forgot to remove) out the door $26.6k. Probably could have negotiated another $225 but I already went to three other stealerships, I mean dealerships, and this one proved to be the most straight forward. Make sure you speak to the Internet Sales Manager for pricing via phone when price shopping. It'll save you time and headache having to set foot in the showroom. Wishing everyone a HNY!
  • Options
    silversurfer08silversurfer08 Member Posts: 2
    mihcrc2 said:

Hi Stever -

We are looking to buy a 2016 honda CR-V EX awd in the Chicago area zip code 60171

Here is what the dealer offered us today, can you please let me know your thoughts?

2016 Honda CR-V AWD
    vehicle price: $28295.00
    "Dealer Name" savings: $2,507.00
    Customer Rebate: $900.00
    "Dealer Name" price: $24,888.00

Sales Tax: $2,468.46
    Tag/Reg Fee: $101.00
    Title Fee: $95.00
    Other: $15.00
    Documentation Fee: $169.27
    Electronic Filling: $25.00
    Balance Due: $27,761.73

Our total out of the door cost would be $27,761.73, and we didn't negotiate any package, should we have?

Also I have read from other people that the extended warranty is negotiable, what would be a fair price for the longest extended warranty they offer? (not sure what they have to offer since we didn't get there)

I was also curios how do you find the True market value, the invoice and MSRP for each model?

Thank you an advance for taking the time to read my post, and respond.

Any advice is really appreciated, since I am going to buy a new car for the first time.

I too live in Chicago and just bought my 2016 EX AWD on 01/06/2017. OTD $26,618. No accessories and no extended warranty. Based on my research you can probably try to saved at least another $225. Good Luck.
  • Options
    2017_crv2017_crv Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    Hello all,
    A first time buyer here so little confused on should I wait for a price drop on 2017 models or just buy hugely discounted 2016 models.
    I am getting an offer on EX AWD for 27,000 (Excluding $400 document fee and 7% tax etc.)
    ... MSRP is 28,895..
    On the other hand
    CRV EXL AWD 2016 , I am getting for $25,500.

It looks like 2017 EX models have Honda sensing and big alloy wheels which were initially available only on 2016 touring model , and I may also plan selling the car in 3-4 years so not sure if resale value of 2017 models will cover the margin in price we are seeing today.

I live in Kansas City and checking dealers from KS city area / OK city Area .

Is this a good price or should I wait till April / first quarter is over.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

A reporter is looking to talk to someone who was originally shopping for a new car, but decided to buy a CPO vehicle instead because it was a better deal. If you're willing to assist, please send an email to PR@Edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 16, 2017.
  • Options
    ursnirmaltursnirmalt Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2017
    Bought 2016 CR-V EX-L OTD $28500 - CT
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331

Bought 2016 CR-V EX-L OTD $28500 - CT

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    puppymomopuppymomo Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

i just bought a 2016 Honda CR-V EX.  Could you please let me know if this was a decent price? I want to know so I can prepare better next time (I had to buy in a hurry due to frustrated spouse...)

I do not understand the terms, but these are what it says.

Before negotiation, on the car, there was a paper that said:

MSRP: $26,095
    Destination & Handling: $900
    Total Vehicle Price: $26,995

After I bought it, the paper that I got says:

Cash Sale Price: $23,037
    Document Fees: $80
    State Tax: $2,022.74
    State DMV Fee: $281
    State Tire Fee: $8.75
    Total Sale: $25,429.49

The accesories that were included were:

Cargo Tray
    Wheel Locks
    Splash Guards

The area code of purchase was 90249 (Southern California).  
    - They said to get extended warranty and I refused.
    - They said to get some security thing, i refused.
    - Then they put some sort of a black chip looking thing under the steering wheel to disable the security thing...
    - Can I just take out the black chip thing to activate the security?(i forgot what the security does.. i just refused it)

Thank you so much in advance.  I was looking through this forum but spouse got so upset for waiting for so long.. i just had to buy it.  Angry spouse was NOT worth any more negotiation.

Please do reply if you know the car price stuff. Thanks!

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2017
    puppymomo said:

Hello,

i just bought a 2016 Honda CR-V EX.  Could you please let me know if this was a decent price? I want to know so I can prepare better next time (I had to buy in a hurry due to frustrated spouse...)

I do not understand the terms, but these are what it says.

Before negotiation, on the car, there was a paper that said:

MSRP: $26,095
    Destination & Handling: $900
    Total Vehicle Price: $26,995

After I bought it, the paper that I got says:

Cash Sale Price: $23,037
    Document Fees: $80
    State Tax: $2,022.74
    State DMV Fee: $281
    State Tire Fee: $8.75
    Total Sale: $25,429.49

The accesories that were included were:

Cargo Tray
    Wheel Locks
    Splash Guards

The area code of purchase was 90249 (Southern California).  
    - They said to get extended warranty and I refused.
    - They said to get some security thing, i refused.
    - Then they put some sort of a black chip looking thing under the steering wheel to disable the security thing...
    - Can I just take out the black chip thing to activate the security?(i forgot what the security does.. i just refused it)

Thank you so much in advance.  I was looking through this forum but spouse got so upset for waiting for so long.. i just had to buy it.  Angry spouse was NOT worth any more negotiation.

Please do reply if you know the car price stuff. Thanks!

A ok deal at $2405 below invoice price plus another 150 dollars thrown in with dealer accessories. The savings buying the 16 model did not outweigh the 1st year depreciation cost if your vehicle is stolen or totaled . You would of been better buying the 17 model.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    Some info on buying a 2017 model for this forum

A 2017 CRV EX model in SoCal could be bought this month for 10 to 14 % below the MSRP if you buy it at the very end of this month.

@puppymomo ....... A 17 EX, Fwd models MSRP = $27, 635 including destination charge. Minus just 10% = $2763 off price. By the summer months 2017 CRV will be selling at Invoice price and below.

Good luck and enjoy your CRV its a great vehicle.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Thank you Brian.  Im done for car shopping for now, but for the future... i would like to learn.

it seems i should always wait until the end of the month.

what is a good ballpark target price when purchasing a vehicle at the end of the month??  A ball-park simple way?

is it 10-14% of MSRP (including destination charge), or is it more like $3k minus the invoice price (not include destination??)... thank you!

i could only spend only $25.5k max.  No financing.  So i decided on my maximum amount.  Also could not wait since spouse needed a car asap :(
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You made the best deal with your $$$. @25,5k. Good ballpark numbers that have to be taken into consideration with any new car purchase are .... Supply and Demand of that model, Time of the month / year, Incentives and Rebates. Many car brands that are not a new restyled or upgraded model year you should start negotiating at dealers invoice price and not MSRP.

The 10 to 14% price off 2017 CRV EX models MSRP included the $940 Honda destination charge.
    whenever you consider buying a new 1 year old model the next year.... Stick to a price of 3k to 5k off original dealers invoice price. This helps recoup the depreciation value in the event of vehicle Totaled or stolen. also you have the Ins. deductible taken off the top

Case and point.. On Jan 10th My friend bought a 2016 Ford Edge that invoiced for $41k. The deal negotiated was for 1500 below invoice price plus $3500 in dealer incentives making the sale 5k below original invoice price. Every car deal is different . If manufacturer isn't rebating heavy incentives at years end you want a lower invoice price . If you cant get it buy the new year model or a different vehicle

• Options
    Thank you Brian.

how do i find the orginal dealer's invoice price?  When I google CRV 2016 2WD EX, i see:
    MSRP = $26,095.00
    Invoice = $24,502.00.  

Is the $24,502 the original dealer's invoice price?

Meaning that for the maximum savings, i should have started negotiation at $19,502 and meet somewhere $19k - $21k for the "cash sale price"? (Car price + destination fee), which would have landed around 22.5k out the door?

i seem to be not knowledgible enough to actually calculate a target price with many factors such as supply and demand, mo/yr, incentives & rebates.

thank you again!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It seems the best for the future me is to learn the most basics.... the terms.

i went to this web "dealer cost" calculator:
    http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealercostcalculator.html

it says that it calculates stuff like "incentives" and "rebates". So filled this information in to get the "dealer cost" for 2016 CRV Ex.

Select Make:
    Honda

Base Vehicle MSRP:
    MSRP of "2WD 5dr LX (base model) = $23,854

Base Vehicle Invoice Price:
    Invoice price of 2WD 5dr LX (base model) = $22,396

MSRP of all options:
    I wanted EX model which has MSRP of $26,095.00.  So i guess the option MSRP is $2,241

Invoice of all Options:
    Invoice price on EX is $24,502 so the invoice of the option = $2,106

Destination Fee:
    On the sticker of the vehicle before purchase, it said $900

Then the dealer cost comes out to be:
    $24,686.38

So does that mean.. since I bought the car at $23,037... the dealership lost $1,649..?? That doesnt make sense... are my numbers off?? Or is this calculator fake?

thank you

• Options
    edited February 2017
    1- Yes $24,502 is dealers invoice price..
    2-Edmunds , Nada.com , KBB.com will all show both msrp and invoice pricing plus reviews on all models
    3- all vehicles have different depreciation values. Honda vehicles are amongst the best in retaining there value
    4- read thru above car sites for advice and tips on car buying.

Edmunds car forums are a great way to learn and share or just IM me here @brian125 I will help you with your next purchase. Another excellent site I recommend for 1st time buyers and new car buying

. http://www.realcartips.com/

• Options
    puppymomo said:

It seems the best for the future me is to learn the most basics.... the terms.

i went to this web "dealer cost" calculator:
    http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealercostcalculator.html

it says that it calculates stuff like "incentives" and "rebates". So filled this information in to get the "dealer cost" for 2016 CRV Ex.

Select Make:
    Honda

Base Vehicle MSRP:
    MSRP of "2WD 5dr LX (base model) = $23,854

Base Vehicle Invoice Price:
    Invoice price of 2WD 5dr LX (base model) = $22,396

MSRP of all options:
    I wanted EX model which has MSRP of $26,095.00.  So i guess the option MSRP is $2,241

Invoice of all Options:
    Invoice price on EX is $24,502 so the invoice of the option = $2,106

Destination Fee:
    On the sticker of the vehicle before purchase, it said $900

Then the dealer cost comes out to be:
    $24,686.38

So does that mean.. since I bought the car at $23,037... the dealership lost $1,649..?? That doesnt make sense... are my numbers off?? Or is this calculator fake?

thank you

Read thru realcartips.com it will answer most of your questions . IM me @brian125 with any other questions you don't understand . This is not the forum for our ongoing discussion.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Thanks!
    Realcartips.com is exactly what i was looking for thank you!
  • Options
    jbarrisjbarris Member Posts: 2
    in brockton, ma on 02/19/2017

2016 CR-V EX
    $23,000 SALE PRICE
    $129 WHEEL LOCKS
    $395 DOC FEE
    $135 NEW PLATES/REG
    $1470.25 SALES TAX

OTD: $25,129.25

i tried for a couple of weeks to get them to remove the wheel locks. they wouldn't. but considering every other dealer in the area wasn't coming close to this price i figured it was good enough. 

worst part part of the experience for me was every dealer and their "bring in a quote from another dealer and we will beat it" pitch. i brought this deal to every dealer who said that. every one of them "we can't beat that price you should go but it there". all lip service  
  • Options
    mikefromnj1mikefromnj1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2016 AWD LX CRV in NJ

Vehicle: $22,105
    Documentation Prep: $479
    Sales Tax: $1,520
    Tire Tax: $8
    Total: $24,400

The vehicle price includes whatever the Nitrogen / Tire and Safe and secure package which are itemized at $129 and $389 but were just part of the OTD price we landed at.

Is that reasonable or a bit high? Looking to understand better so I can improve for next car purchase.
  • Options
    jessica82jessica82 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2017
    I just purchased a new 2016 Honda CR-V SE on 2/18/17 in Florida. I thought I was prepared but not sure if my deal was good or not especially seeing some of the deals above. My issue is that my price below includes installing a tow package as part of the sale. My Honda dealer charges $900 for installing a tow package and including a 2" ball.

Vehicle: $22515.75
    Waste Tire: $6.50
    Dealer Delivery Fee: $599
    Electronic Registration Filing Fee: $59
    Florida Taxes: $1465.82
    Transfer Tag: $82.35
    Florida Motor Vehicle Warranty: $2
    Documentation Stamp Fee: $62.30
    Total: $24,792.72
  • Options
    jennnissanjennnissan Member Posts: 8
    I just got a price on 2016 CRV-SE from outside of Boston, MA Total OTD price $24,528 including taxes and fees. It is the end of February 2017 - Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    jennnissanjennnissan Member Posts: 8
    jbarris said:

2016 CR-V EX
    $23,000 SALE PRICE
    $129 WHEEL LOCKS
    $395 DOC FEE
    $135 NEW PLATES/REG
    $1470.25 SALES TAX

i tried for a couple of weeks to get them to remove the wheel locks. they wouldn't. but considering every other dealer in the area wasn't coming close to this price i figured it was good enough. 

worst part part of the experience for me was every dealer and their "bring in a quote from another dealer and we will beat it" pitch. i brought this deal to every dealer who said that. every one of them "we can't beat that price you should go but it there". all lip service  
    I'm located in Mass too - Can you tell which dealer gave you this offer?
  • Options
    jbarrisjbarris Member Posts: 2

2016 CR-V EX
    $23,000 SALE PRICE
    $129 WHEEL LOCKS
    $395 DOC FEE
    $135 NEW PLATES/REG
    $1470.25 SALES TAX

I'm located in Mass too - Can you tell which dealer gave you this offer?
    mcgovern
  • Options
    bham1827bham1827 Member Posts: 1
    2016 CRV EX. Looking at 23123.02 before fees and taxes. 23775 OTD after trade of older car.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508
    bham1827 said:

2016 CRV EX. Looking at 23123.02 before fees and taxes. 23775 OTD after trade of older car.

Thoughts?

What's your zip code? Also, what are they giving you for your trade and what are the details on your trade?
    Edmunds Moderator
  • Options
    mdummy440mdummy440 Member Posts: 4
    jbarris said:

2016 CR-V EX
    $23,000 SALE PRICE
    $129 WHEEL LOCKS
    $395 DOC FEE
    $135 NEW PLATES/REG
    $1470.25 SALES TAX

Hy are you purchased AWD or 2WD??
  • Options
    mdummy440mdummy440 Member Posts: 4
    After tons of head ache re-search and bargaining with second hand dealers and private sellers I finallly went and bought new 2016 honda crv ex AWD for whoomping 26k+$(includes 6.5% sales tax and new plates) out the door because only one person is selling the price what I was looking for, I am not sure is it a good deal or did I miss the great features of 2017 more leg space, new design, Line assitance, auto breaking for 3000$ .....comments welcome!!