Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Open top cars will always get some interest, but not necessarily respect.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I've got a line on a '97 Range Rover.. $500!!

Shifty thinks it is a bad deal. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Years ago someone on one of these discussions described their experience with a their 10-year-old Jaguar, bought new. The dealer didn't want it back in trade! That's some depreciation.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

I've got a line on a '97 Range Rover.. $500!!

Shifty thinks it is a bad deal. ;)

Hey, no fair-----I'm all for you buying it. I got my popcorn, my beach chair and I'm ready for the daily blogs. :p

I'm virtually squealing in anticipation.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Betcha you could easily recoup your money by selling the wheels and get paid scrap money for the rest of that '97 RR. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I think a SLK will bottom out no lower than 10K - in today's money, and that's for a legitimately decent car. Older E55 and S55 are stabilizing around there, and the older C AMGs aren't much less - mind you, this is for nice cars, and there are many neglected ones out there.

Speaking of AMG, I was behind a white C63S AMG on the way home today.
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I saw one of those BMW things that is fairly large and looks like a Mazda 3 hatchback on steroids. Looks kind of silly but could not get close enough to read the badge.
  • Options
    With BMW's lineup, that could be a few things, but I suspect it is this:

Behold the tasteful and elegant X4. They are relatively common in this area, as some demographics love such things.
  • Options
    That actually looks better than the X6. That look seems to fit the smaller body, better.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Still looks awkward to me, like a hatchback on stilts. I guess that's what a CUV is anyway.
  • Options
    Niche marketing gone crazy.
  • Options
    SUV/CUVs are up to something like 63% of passenger car sales. I don't think it's much of a "niche" any more. A coupe is now a "niche" car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah true but this is just a hatchback version of the X3, trying to lure that occasional Macan or RX buyer away---offering less practicality for the sake of styling. And now they're offering an M version, which pretty much wipes out any ground clearance advantage of owning the X4 in the first place, while upping the price close to an X6.

If that's not "niche-crazy", I don't know what it.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    The Germans are definitely out-nicheing everyone. X1, X3, X4, X5, X6, eventual X7, and there's an X2 concept now. MB has GLA, GLC, GLE, GLE coupe, GLS, G-Wagen. Ride height makes easy access for oldsters and false confidence for the inept. And just as important, it is trendy, kind of showy - turn heads at the mall.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    There are times when a CUV/SUV does seem appealing to me despite how much I love the driving experience of the ATS. Like when I was shopping for a headboard for my bed. They all come in large boxes, no way can I possibly get it home with my car, even if the rear seat folded down, which it doesn't. It has been almost 20 years since I had a car where the rear seat didn't fold. I didn't even bother to check that before buying since I just assumed it was so. But Caddy doesn't give you one unless you move up a model level. Crazy.

But having said that, it is usually one or two times a year I need that capacity, and I would be saddled with a ponderous driving experience the rest of the time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    You can rent a pickup for 1/2 day pretty darn cheaply.
  • Options

You can rent a pickup for 1/2 day pretty darn cheaply.

Or I can get my brother to use his Ford Ranger for free!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    borrowing from family is never "free" :p

(Don Corleone voice): "And someday, ab348, you may be asked to do something for us in return".
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Well, I think moving to hatch/wagon style is a good thing. I find them much more useful. The silly part is jacking them all up, and often putting AWD on. A normal ride height wagon drives just like a sedan. But can hold a lot more.

Hey, I'm still in the years of carting mucho junk back and forth to college. So big bulk cargo capacity is important to me! Plus, better set up for transporting a dog.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited January 2017
    I like our CUV. Better in the ways that count to me: More headroom, front and rear, great legroom, so can fit 4 tall (6' 5" for two of them) adults with no head bumping. Easier in/out, better visibility, and MUCH more flexible in terms of carrying things/dog/dog crate/etc. Does it use a bit (20%) more gas? Sure. Does it not handle quite as well? Not to me, in 99% of my boring driving.

The supposed deficiencies of CUVs are the favorite whipping boy of much of the car press, but most of the reasons cited are either out of date or unimportant to most drivers. Would I like a Boxster, if I lived somewhere it would be fun? Sure, but that's not here.
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    Well, I think moving to hatch/wagon style is a good thing. I find them much more useful. The silly part is jacking them all up, and often putting AWD on. A normal ride height wagon drives just like a sedan. But can hold a lot more. Hey, I'm still in the years of carting mucho junk back and forth to college. So big bulk cargo capacity is important to me! Plus, better set up for transporting a dog.
    Just read MB is bringing an E400 wagon here. Looks pretty sweet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    on the big side. as is the V90. A nice V60 CPO, that could work.

• Options
    The X4 rear exhaust looks really cheap. I was behind one the other day.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

on the big side. as is the V90. A nice V60 CPO, that could work.

Eh, only about 10 inches longer than the V60, yet about a half inch narrower.

• Options
    I really prefer smaller cars now. The RDX is plenty long enough (183"?). It is just somewhat wide, with a big blocky front end that makes in seem bigger than it really is.

something in the 175-185" range will work. Don't really want to be pushing 200" again.

• Options
    I'd rather have a C wagon, but the E probably has better profit margins, so it will be here first.
  • Options
    a C wagon could be real tasty. And very, very expensive new.

• Options
    Nicely equipped E wagon is going to pass 70K without much effort. Equivalent C would likely be in the 50s.

Of course, it's moot for me, as I'd want a diesel, and VW has put that on hold for almost everyone for at least the near future.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited January 2017
    I looked at the E wagon during the last shop. It is a nice car, but the cost difference between it and the Volvo more than paid for adding solar to our house. And the Volvo isn't exactly a penalty box. Still, the new gen E does look pretty nice, and you aren't forced into a little engine only like the new V90.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    fintail said:

Of course, it's moot for me, as I'd want a diesel, and VW has put that on hold for almost everyone for at least the near future.

Yes, they've really outdone themselves this time, haven't they?
    They lost my interest anyway when they Americanized their sedans a few years ago.
    I'm all for their top brass being arrested in the country. But don't I wish the banks would've had quite a few scores of their execs put in the slammer for torching the economy in 2008? You betcha.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I am not too upset about VW hurting themselves, as there aren't a lot of VAG products I really pine for. For VW, I'd be most likely to consider the Alltrack or maybe some kind of AWD Passat (I know, not a thing here), but I would want diesel for any of them. This is off the shelf now, maybe forever in this market. The diesel name has been harmed as a whole too, which no upcoming MB diesels having any kind of ETA here.

I have no problem with financial penalties, but I think arrests may be heavy handed looking at how few (virtually zero) have been arrested for similar crimes. Law enforcement and the justice system as a whole have to be consistent to be credible - and they are sorely lacking in credibility right now. But when you are handsomely rewarded and effectively can't be fired, why not use some ego? IMO, that's a key driver in this - federal regulator types take themselves very seriously, and when it is shown to the public that they were fooled, they take it personally. The amounts of the fines also must be consistent, and I don't think they are. It'll be interesting if this same thing continues in the new regime. With the swamp about to be drained of old vermin, to be replaced with a new mixture of crocodiles. piranhas, and vultures, it will be interesting.

No doubt numerous FIRE sector trash along wish some political/praetorian leadership types of the past few decades deserve the slammer a lot more. We have a few who are effectively war criminals who roam around with impunity today. Maybe a discussion for another venue :)

tlong said:

Yes, they've really outdone themselves this time, haven't they?
    They lost my interest anyway when they Americanized their sedans a few years ago.
    I'm all for their top brass being arrested in the country. But don't I wish the banks would've had quite a few scores of their execs put in the slammer for torching the economy in 2008? You betcha.

• Options
    You could probably approach 1.5 or more Volvos for the price of a really loaded E Wagon, which is priced more like an XC90.

As the US hasn't had a diesel E wagon in decades, I don't know if we'll ever have one again.
    tifighter said:

I looked at the E wagon during the last shop. It is a nice car, but the cost difference between it and the Volvo more than paid for adding solar to our house. And the Volvo isn't exactly a penalty box. Still, the new gen E does look pretty nice, and you aren't forced into a little engine only like the new V90.

• Options
    It seems like the very reasons to own a diesel are being eroded by ever more clever new technologies in automotive propulsion. Fuel economy, torque---these once unassailable bastions of diesel cars are being eradicated.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

A reporter is looking to talk to someone who was originally shopping for a new car, but decided to buy a CPO vehicle instead because it was a better deal. If you're willing to assist, please send an email to PR@Edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 16, 2017.
  • Options
    Saw 2 new C coupes this evening. I've also been seeing more illuminated grille stars lately, still seems a bit tacky to me. But maybe fitting for the mysteriously monied demographic around here.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited January 2017
    There is a C at work that has the lighted star. Not my thing, I think I would shut it off.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Today in the workplace parking garage saw a new freshly plated Bentley Continental - pretty sure this is the CEO's car. Also a Model X with a front plate (!), BC plates, maybe Canadia enforces such laws.
  • Options
    Gee I thought all the Bentleys were in Florida (thankfully).
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Gee I thought all the Bentleys were in Florida (thankfully).

Three years ago when I was working, our CEO took a shine to one of the local private liquor retail CEOs and they started having lunch together, etc. This guy had been one of the biggest regional independent cellphone retailers back in the '90s and early '00s before selling out to Bell. He was reported to have made $150 million on the deal. He is an ex-prizefighter and a bit of an odd duck, never says much, not well-educated, not someone you would want angry with you, but a self-made man and an interesting businessman. I actually like him because you always know exactly where you stand with him. He took the $150 mil and bought up a bunch of other businesses, did well with some, ran others into the ground. Spent a chunk of it on a lavish lakefront home that he recently demolished and rebuilt. And on a string of expensive cars.

One day I was in my office, which was immediately above our Exec parking and main entrance. Normally I never heard anything from down there but this day I heard a rorty exhaust note. I looked out my window to see him leaving in his Bentley Continental coupe. Wow, what a sound. That was one of his summer cars. His winter car was a M-B S-Class. Probably along with a half-dozen others apiece in either category.

Almost as bad as @breld... ;)

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Saw a new Ridgeline today, reminds me of a cut-down Pilot.

re: Bentley, South Beach/Miami is definitely a good place if you like them, dime a dozen there. Not too unusual in pricier west coast areas either. I don't think it is the prettiest car ever, but the Continental design has aged very well. Earlier ones can now be had for the price of a moderately equipped C/3er etc, shouldn't be tempting but somehow is.

CEO's other car is a Ferrari 458, which I see at least weekly. I prefer older models, my head turns more at a 328 than at a new one.
  • Options
    I've driven the Continental. Meh.

I think C&D summed it up in 2010:

"one tends to be impressed by it rather than fall in love with it. It’s also a little out of tune with the times"

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I've driven the Continental. Meh. I think C&D summed it up in 2010: "one tends to be impressed by it rather than fall in love with it. It’s also a little out of tune with the times"
    Have you driven the new Continental, shifty?

I'm not sure what that quote could be about since the Conti wasn't produced at that time.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I'm not sure what that quote could be about since the Conti wasn't produced at that time.

He's talking about the Bentley, not the Lincoln.

• Options
    ab348 said:

He's talking about the Bentley, not the Lincoln.
    OOHHHH!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    Q I was thinking the same thing. Had to go back a re-read.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    At the grocery store, a gray Focus RS.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I've driven the Continental. Meh.

I think C&D summed it up in 2010:

"one tends to be impressed by it rather than fall in love with it. It’s also a little out of tune with the times"

That would be weird because I just looked at a 2010 Bentley Continental. B) My sources say 2003-2011 for the "Continental GT". It was the first VW/Bentley.
  • Options
    Not the Bentley, one like this.