Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,056
    Anyone here tried Peer to Peer car rentals? It's like Air B&B for cars. You rent other people's cars. Same setup as a rental car business but it's cheaper and you get to pick the kind of car and zip code you want to pick it up in. One of my kid's friends visited us recently in such a rental. It sounded much nicer than doing business with rental counter agents and the hassle involved.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,858
    suydam said:

Anyone here tried Peer to Peer car rentals? It's like Air B&B for cars. You rent other people's cars. Same setup as a rental car business but it's cheaper and you get to pick the kind of car and zip code you want to pick it up in. One of my kid's friends visited us recently in such a rental. It sounded much nicer than doing business with rental counter agents and the hassle involved.

I just think the idea has a lot of flaws. If you think Enterprise is picky about mysterious dents (I know I do), I imagine individual or small enterprising people using these new apps for rentals would be even more picky about damage and dents.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    Seems like it's pretty popular.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,373
    suydam said:

Seems like it's pretty popular.

Lots of really dumb things are pretty popular these days. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

What I mean is that this model is like Uber for car rentals. It's pretty well established. I think it's interesting how things are changing in many aspects of the auto business.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    well, the rental car industry leaves HUGE room for improvements! That's for sure. I hope they succeed. Always looking for a better rental experience without having to over pay.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,723
    I'd do it if there was a good insurance option to prevent the nitpicky dent nightmare that can come along with normal rentals. I sure as heck wouldn't rent out my own car though.
    Yes, it comes with insurance packages as part of the daily price.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Hm, I'd rent my van out in a NY minute.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    fintail said:

I'd do it if there was a good insurance option to prevent the nitpicky dent nightmare that can come along with normal rentals. I sure as heck wouldn't rent out my own car though.

It's interesting that some people regard home and car rentals as "the new economy" but I kind of see it as middle class people desperate for cash. It's not such a good sign IMO. What next? Rent out your extra pair of pants?
    Is this about Turo? I checked them out locally not too long ago. Some OK deals on specialty cars, some not so good ($500/day for a 2014 Range Rover LOL). The insurance is kind of confusing though, and I think I remember something about mechanical and interior damage not being covered. Maybe I am just too worrisome about my own cars.
    Turn is the one most people use.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,090
    My next rental may be on my trip out to LA and the Edmunds offices next month. Usually cabs are the norm, but Mrs. PF is coming along and may want a little more in the way of transportation options during the week.

We're also going on a trip to a wedding in June and travelling with the daughter and son-in-law, so I'm thinking we're going with something larger to run around the Savannah-Hilton head area. Any suggestions for what I should try out? :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

Rentals in LA are horribly expensive. Sedan will be cheaper than a SUV.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

Rentals in LA are horribly expensive. Sedan will be cheaper than a SUV.

On pleasure trips west, we tend to fly to San Diego, rent there and drive up. Guess it depends if the wife wants a car to run around while I'm in the offices

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

LAX has a Silvercar that rents out Audi's relatively fairly priced from what I remember seeing.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,708
    edited February 2017

I was pleased that Enterprise provided me a '16 Chrysler 300C with 29k while our Pilot is being repaired. Typcial of cars I've gotten from them it is somewhat dirty and could use a good cleaning, though not horrible. It drives well and seems to be mechanically maintained. The tire pressure monitor showed all tires inflated to the correct pressure. While I was out running errands Enterprise called and spoke with my wife to confirm all was well with the car. She joked that I might not give them the car back as I liked it so. I am enjoying my time with it.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

Nice! Is it a base model?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,708
    suydam said:

Nice! Is it a base model?

It is one of the top trim levels and is very nice. From the Chrysler site-

2017 300C
    Dual-Pane Panoramic Power Sunroof and Rear Window Power Sunshade
    Heated and Ventilated Power Leather-Trimmed Front Seats and Heated Rear Seats
    Heated Wood and Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Column
    Memory System for Power Driver Seat, Exterior Mirrors and Radio Station Presets
    MSRP* Starting at
    $38,635

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

Nice you get to try one equipped more like people actually buy them.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Nice, too bad Hertz doesn't buy them like this.
    We have a group of 8 going to the Indy 500 again this year. We took two vehicles last year, and probably will again this time, but some have asked me if we might try a single vehicle solution. I can't imagine that renting something like a Toyota Sienna that we COULD pack 8 into would be much fun. With luggage for 2 nights, I might be fine driving, but the sardines in the 2nd and third rows might not enjoy it as much. next step up would be something like a 12 passenger Ford Transit, but that might not ride as nice for the 500 miles each way.

Anyone ever rent for a slightly larger than normal group? If someone hits on a lottery ticket maybe we'll hire a limo :)

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    If you rented an Indy car, you could make the round trip in 6 hours. :p
  • fordfoolfordfool Western New YorkPosts: 240

But the fit might be a tad tight for eight guys! :D
    fordfool said:
    But the fit might be a tad tight for eight guys! :D
    No. I like it. They just have to hang on TIGHT

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Posts: 9,935
    Hertz Gold in San Diego now has some new program, forgot it's marketing tag, where instead of your name on the board, you go to your area like National and pick which one you want. Quite a variety to choose from. I just wanted a sedan and there were the usual Sonata, Optima and Altima. Also Camry, Fusion, and Passat. A couple of Malibu's, but they were the prior gen. When I returned the car I noticed 5 Porsche were in the line ahead of me for those who had the bucks I guess.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Typical of cars I've gotten from them it is somewhat dirty and could use a good cleaning, though not horrible.

As an owner of a vehicle made by GM I've had my share of rentals from Enterprise. On more than one occasion I returned the vehicle for unidentifiable odors. On those occasions I barely made it around the block before returning for another vehicle. I think it's from overuse of that foam type carpet cleaner in an aerosol can..

On another note the last two times I've rented through Costco's rental program using Budget I've encountered a serious bait and switch. First time being offered an Explorer for a Tahoe and the second time a Mustang for an Avalon.Both times I was never offered a fee adjustment for taking a lower level vehicle. Worst part about the second rental was the agent insisting that the Mustang was a four door. Go figure.

• berriberri Posts: 9,935
    I use Costco also, but if Hertz is in the price neighborhood I default there to skip the line. Enterprise seems to vary a lot from office to office. Most any rental counter will try to upsell you on vehicle and other optional things I think and the example cars on the internet often seem to differ from what you get as well.
    I read on a German language forum that someone got an S550 coupe from Sixt in Las Vegas. That would be a fun rental. A friend of mine is going to Dallas next weekend and has a Sixt "premium" class rental, it will be interesting to see what he gets.

The rental CTS I had seen at work for some time has been replaced by a rental MKS. I also saw a loaded looking rental 300 on the road, and a rental Charger with a hemi. A co-worker recently returned from Anchorage, and had a rental Murano, forgot to ask through which company.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 113,836
    fintail said:

I read on a German language forum that someone got an S550 coupe from Sixt in Las Vegas. That would be a fun rental. A friend of mine is going to Dallas next weekend and has a Sixt "premium" class rental, it will be interesting to see what he gets.

The rental CTS I had seen at work for some time has been replaced by a rental MKS. I also saw a loaded looking rental 300 on the road, and a rental Charger with a hemi. A co-worker recently returned from Anchorage, and had a rental Murano, forgot to ask through which company.

On one of my trips to CA, we got a Charger with a Hemi from National.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4