Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    PF_Flyer said:

I think it's the combo of a slight head cold and allergies that has me going today, but...

Peeve... 4 spots is definitely a peeve

Why not just put a sign on the windshield that says:"please key my truck"?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

PF_Flyer said:

Perhaps the complete phrase "pet peeve" would help... but the head cold short circuited that :)

I'm still not getting it...spots=places?
    You're there. Normally I don't see a run-of-the-mill vehicle take take up 4 parking spots. We have a large graduate student population here who like to drive "exotics" and you'll see some of those parked diagonally.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

I think it's the combo of a slight head cold and allergies that has me going today, but...

All for that ugly truck! :@
    Ugly could be in the eye of the beholder, but it's not anything REMOTELY special
  • Options
    driver100 said:

2 Senators are trying to lengthen the number of months Canadians can stay in the US, from 6 months to 8 months.

President Donald Trump has been single-minded when it comes to immigration, pledging to strengthen the United States’ borders and keep certain people out

A bipartisan bill introduced in the House of Representatives last month would actually open the door wider to one group: older Canadians who winter south of the border.

The Promoting Tourism to Enhance our Economy Act aims to let northern neighbours 55 and up who own or rent property in the States stay there an extra two months a year, on top of the 180 days allowed now

And Canadians who flee to warmer U.S. climes are something of an economic powerhouse.

Residents of Canada own more than 500,000 properties in Florida alone, while 700,000 of them spend at least 31 days at a time in that state every year, says Evan Rachovsky, research director at the Canadian Snowbird Association. Including the rest of the U.S. south, there are well over a million snowbirds, he said.

“There’s obviously a lot of questions surrounding immigration recently, but this is really a jobs bill; this is about stimulating the economy in the U.S.,” said Rachovsky. “I think it would definitely have a significant impact.

Don't fall for it driver100. That's how they suck you in! Before you know it you'll be here year round and applying for citizenship! After that you'll be drinking beer and watching football for days at a time. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Is there someone sitting in the driver seat of the 150? If so, without knowing the location within the lot relative to the entrance, it might be someone waiting for someone to come out. And they just carelessly pulled up like that to wait... However, I've seen some of the longer trucks intentionally span 2 spaces so they don't extend into the driveway.

Nope, nobody waiting. Driver was just going round the front to the driver's side. If you look close you can see that I blurred the right edge of the pic to protect the not-so-innocent :)
    A lot of mischief could be poured through that partially open window.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

PF_Flyer said:

Why not just put a sign on the windshield that says:"please key my truck"?

I think some white tape right down the center of the truck would make the point harmlessly enough.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    abacomike said:
    I am going to try to keep this post as short as possible - I sure don't want driver and jmonroe to think I was challenging them to a duel! :D My older daughter (only one left) and her SO arrived at my condo at about 3:30 PM. We sat in the living room and talked about an hour before it was time to get dressed to go out for dinner. Her SO just took a job in the Palm Springs/Jupiter area of Palm Beach County with an Air-Conditioning/Heating Company out of the Port St. Lucie/Ft. Pierce area. Jupiter is about 55-60 miles north of me straight up the Florida Turnpike. He is trying to get my daughter to move down here with him in the next 12-14 months - many things to settle like a job and her house - but time will tell. We then went downstairs and of course we drove in the new BMW 740i. My daughter asked me how I could drive such an expensive car while she is struggling - I merely ignored her statement. By ignoring her comment, it was not brought up again the rest of the evening - thank goodness!!! How someone could struggle on $85,000 a year in income is beyond me - but there are variables as we all know and I sure didn't want to go into them. We got to the restaurant (NYY Steak House) and of course they both wanted drinks. So we stopped into the lounge and waited for our table to be set up. We then went in to the restaurant. I think both of them decided that if I can afford a 740i, I could sure afford twin lobster tails, shrimp cocktails, lots of side dishes, more drinks and double cognacs all around. I could never do that - even when I came to visit my mom and dad years ago, I always selected a moderately priced dinner and sides - never ordered alcoholic beverages unless my dad and/or mom asked if I would like to join them. But, we talked quite a bit about his new job and the prospects of my daughter moving down, and then dinner was over. The tab came to $498.00 without tip. So I pulled out my credit card, paid for the dinner, and just sat there and waited for him to offer to pick up the tip. After 20 minutes, I was afraid he would order something else, so I just pulled out my wallet and put down $75.00 for the tip and stood up. We went straight home and then up to my condo so they could change into more casual clothes and off they went. They thanked me for dinner and drinks and I merely said, "...you are quite welcome..." and that was it. I will admit it was one of the more expensive evenings in my lifetime but seeing family is worth it especially when you don't see them often. I will end it here - don't want to overstay my welcome on this forum thread. :o
    Wow! I would not be as kind as you. You impress me, sir. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @PF_Flyer,
    Maybe they just bought it and were confused about what the 4x4 sticker on the rear fender meant.:)
    Of course, there is no excuse for that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@sda,
    On a similar note, I bought quite a few vehicles from one salesman.
    Somehow on my first purchase, an '89 SHO, we got into a debate about whether you could get a 56 Fairlane with a 312 or only a 292.
    Years ago, we went to his wife's wake.
    A couple of years ago, the dealership sent me a photo he took back in 2002.
    He was retired and cleaning out his old stuff.
    Back in 2002, when I bought my Eddie Bauer Explorer, my oldest said she loved the Harley Edition F150, so he brought one around so they could sit in it while he took their picture.

To help the argument, you could, indeed buy a 1956 ford with a 312. A healthy Chevy 265 could still whip one!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    abacomike said:

I am going to try to keep this post as short as possible - I sure don't want driver and jmonroe to think I was challenging them to a duel! :D

My older daughter (only one left) and her SO arrived at my condo at about 3:30 PM. We sat in the living room and talked about an hour before it was time to get dressed to go out for dinner. Her SO just took a job in the Palm Springs/Jupiter area of Palm Beach County with an Air-Conditioning/Heating Company out of the Port St. Lucie/Ft. Pierce area. Jupiter is about 55-60 miles north of me straight up the Florida Turnpike. He is trying to get my daughter to move down here with him in the next 12-14 months - many things to settle like a job and her house - but time will tell.

We then went downstairs and of course we drove in the new BMW 740i. My daughter asked me how I could drive such an expensive car while she is struggling - I merely ignored her statement. By ignoring her comment, it was not brought up again the rest of the evening - thank goodness!!! How someone could struggle on $85,000 a year in income is beyond me - but there are variables as we all know and I sure didn't want to go into them.

We got to the restaurant (NYY Steak House) and of course they both wanted drinks. So we stopped into the lounge and waited for our table to be set up. We then went in to the restaurant. I think both of them decided that if I can afford a 740i, I could sure afford twin lobster tails, shrimp cocktails, lots of side dishes, more drinks and double cognacs all around. I could never do that - even when I came to visit my mom and dad years ago, I always selected a moderately priced dinner and sides - never ordered alcoholic beverages unless my dad and/or mom asked if I would like to join them. But, we talked quite a bit about his new job and the prospects of my daughter moving down, and then dinner was over. The tab came to $498.00 without tip. So I pulled out my credit card, paid for the dinner, and just sat there and waited for him to offer to pick up the tip. After 20 minutes, I was afraid he would order something else, so I just pulled out my wallet and put down $75.00 for the tip and stood up.

We went straight home and then up to my condo so they could change into more casual clothes and off they went. They thanked me for dinner and drinks and I merely said, "...you are quite welcome..." and that was it. I will admit it was one of the more expensive evenings in my lifetime but seeing family is worth it especially when you don't see them often.

I will end it here - don't want to overstay my welcome on this forum thread. :o

abacomike said:

I am going to try to keep this post as short as possible - I sure don't want driver and jmonroe to think I was challenging them to a duel! :D

My older daughter (only one left) and her SO arrived at my condo at about 3:30 PM. We sat in the living room and talked about an hour before it was time to get dressed to go out for dinner. Her SO just took a job in the Palm Springs/Jupiter area of Palm Beach County with an Air-Conditioning/Heating Company out of the Port St. Lucie/Ft. Pierce area. Jupiter is about 55-60 miles north of me straight up the Florida Turnpike. He is trying to get my daughter to move down here with him in the next 12-14 months - many things to settle like a job and her house - but time will tell.

We then went downstairs and of course we drove in the new BMW 740i. My daughter asked me how I could drive such an expensive car while she is struggling - I merely ignored her statement. By ignoring her comment, it was not brought up again the rest of the evening - thank goodness!!! How someone could struggle on $85,000 a year in income is beyond me - but there are variables as we all know and I sure didn't want to go into them.

We got to the restaurant (NYY Steak House) and of course they both wanted drinks. So we stopped into the lounge and waited for our table to be set up. We then went in to the restaurant. I think both of them decided that if I can afford a 740i, I could sure afford twin lobster tails, shrimp cocktails, lots of side dishes, more drinks and double cognacs all around. I could never do that - even when I came to visit my mom and dad years ago, I always selected a moderately priced dinner and sides - never ordered alcoholic beverages unless my dad and/or mom asked if I would like to join them. But, we talked quite a bit about his new job and the prospects of my daughter moving down, and then dinner was over. The tab came to $498.00 without tip. So I pulled out my credit card, paid for the dinner, and just sat there and waited for him to offer to pick up the tip. After 20 minutes, I was afraid he would order something else, so I just pulled out my wallet and put down $75.00 for the tip and stood up.

We went straight home and then up to my condo so they could change into more casual clothes and off they went. They thanked me for dinner and drinks and I merely said, "...you are quite welcome..." and that was it. I will admit it was one of the more expensive evenings in my lifetime but seeing family is worth it especially when you don't see them often.

I will end it here - don't want to overstay my welcome on this forum thread. :o

I found myself getting a bit upset by the way your daughter and her SO took advantage of you. I'm sorry but that was over the top rude. You are such a nice guy that I'm sure they felt comfortable doing this.

Yeah, I think I would be looking at an Outback next time...maybe!
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I've spent many hours today thinking over last night and have read all the comments posted regarding the experience. If I had it to do over again - I'd still do what I did - and that's after many, many hours of revisiting in my mind every minute of every hour I spent with them last night. I have to look at it this way - she is my only living daughter and I love her very much - no matter what she does or will do. She's my blood.

We bring up our children in a manner whereby we try to teach them respect for others, what love really means, the meaning of kindness and how to express love and kindness in as many ways as possible. When they leave our environs and go out in the world to find their niches, the environment in which they grow and mature (post mom and dad) affects their outlook on life. We are no longer there to redirect them - show them where they erred and how to get out of "sticky wickets". They've gone to colleges where the old, conservative values of Americana are no longer reinforced and nurtured like the values we inherited when we were kids and when we were students on campus.

So what our children become does reflect on how we brought them up - but it also reflects on their environments once they leave the nest. I hold no grudges or grievances toward my remaining children - they are what they as a result of too many variables that are and were uncontrollable. Their friends influence them as well - and we have no control over that either.

She is healthy and extremely intelligent (holds an MA in Education + post graduate coursework in management and administration which is what she does as a profession in a large recreation and park district). The fact that she and her brother never learned to manage finances properly is because we always had what we needed when they were growing up because I held as many as 3 jobs at a time to make ends meet. But that meant I wasn't home as much as I should have been.

May my daughter live and be well and may all her dreams and hopes come to fruition. That is all I ask of the divine power - nothing more and certainly nothing less. ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited April 2017
    PF_Flyer said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

All for that ugly truck! :@
    Ugly could be in the eye of the beholder, but it's not anything REMOTELY special
    Nah, ugly is ugly. That truck is made to look ugly for a reason....the owner should have to take a test to see why he feels so inadequate he needs a big ugly aggressive looking vehicle. He is the kind of guy that would ride on my back bumper and lane jump to get ahead of everyone...not to be judgmental. :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

driver100 said:

2 Senators are trying to lengthen the number of months Canadians can stay in the US, from 6 months to 8 months.

President Donald Trump has been single-minded when it comes to immigration, pledging to strengthen the United States’ borders and keep certain people out

A bipartisan bill introduced in the House of Representatives last month would actually open the door wider to one group: older Canadians who winter south of the border.

The Promoting Tourism to Enhance our Economy Act aims to let northern neighbours 55 and up who own or rent property in the States stay there an extra two months a year, on top of the 180 days allowed now

And Canadians who flee to warmer U.S. climes are something of an economic powerhouse.

Residents of Canada own more than 500,000 properties in Florida alone, while 700,000 of them spend at least 31 days at a time in that state every year, says Evan Rachovsky, research director at the Canadian Snowbird Association. Including the rest of the U.S. south, there are well over a million snowbirds, he said.

“There’s obviously a lot of questions surrounding immigration recently, but this is really a jobs bill; this is about stimulating the economy in the U.S.,” said Rachovsky. “I think it would definitely have a significant impact.

Don't fall for it driver100. That's how they suck you in! Before you know it you'll be here year round and applying for citizenship! After that you'll be drinking beer and watching football for days at a time. :'(

Oh we do that up here, only usually it is hockey....and Canadian beer which has a higher alcohol level and has more taste.

• Options
    Mike, do what you want for your own peace of mind. I find that giving in and mollifying ungrateful people never pays off.
    I think it is fair to go to a reasonably priced restaurant (say, bourbon chicken at Denny's for example.....just joking) and have dinner together....that is the real reason for getting together with family members, it isn't the food and it isn't the cost of food....it is to make an occasion to get together.

A friend was telling me him and his wife go out with another couple and my friend and his wife have one glass of wine each. Their friends order a bottle of fine wine and several high priced drinks and then always tell the waiter to split the bill.

I told my friend I wouldn't consider those people as friends, tell the waiter you want to separate bills, and if they don't like it you really haven't lost much.

A nicely functioning family just wants to spend time together, food brings you together, it should be good quality, but doesn't have to be extravagant.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

@PF_Flyer,
    Maybe they ...were confused about what the 4x4 sticker on the rear fender meant.:)

That's great! My laugh of the day.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I've been crunching my tax numbers the last 10 days or so. I always gather everything and organize the data, then wait until April 1. This year we can file separately instead of jointly.

I realize I'm likely the only person on here finishing up and planning to mail, return receipt, on Friday instead of waiting until Tuesday... LOL

To quote Mark Twain:

The only difference between a
    tax man and a taxidermist is that
    the taxidermist leaves the skin.
    -- Mark Twain

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @imidazol97,
    I'm still waiting for Merrill Lynch to send a corrected 1099.
    Will be filing an extension.
    New accountant caught it, so I'm glad I went to him.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited April 2017
    I like that idea, place the tape to correspond to the lines.

Where are the parking [non-permissible content removed] enforcers when you need them? I am sure the aforementioned student visa purchasers would be immune, too.

I think some white tape right down the center of the truck would make the point harmlessly enough.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    After being the victim of identity theft I always file early now. Identity thieves swoop in early to get the refund, knowing most people file towards the end of the deadline.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Just curious why you took them to a very expensive place in the first place? Living very close to that casino, I know how expensive it is, we just don't have the desire to spend that much on any meal. But you took them there instead of the many nice medium priced places we have here in the Coral Springs/Coconut Creek area. Going in you knew it's a very expensive place to go. So not entirely their fault here. I know my in-laws would never let us pay and would get very insulted if we did. But I always tried never the less because it was the right thing to do. My folks, just the opposite and they were milionaires many times over. When we took the check, they had no issue. Maybe it was me but for the rest of my siblings, they always paid and went out frequently. Think they were unhappy with how generous my in-laws were to us that they weren't generous at all but, I was the black sheep of the family which was also an issue.
    Lesson learned here is if you lead, family will follow. Next time, maybe one drink at a less expensive place. I know now as the parent, I don't want my kids to pay for us. Let them save and spend on themselves and their s o's. It gives us joy to pick up the tab and see how appreciative they are. Since we live way below our means, it ain't a problem!
    I know I'm the only opposite opinion on this matter but when the fox is let in the hen house, some feathers are gonna fly! And one thing I've learned in life, never expect anything because 90% of the time, you'll end up be disappointed! Hope, but never ever expect!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Aba - don't know why your over thinking and beating yourself up - its a sunk cost. You do your best, make your decision and then it is over. Many things in life don't have a right or wrong answer.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I'd have to agree with that. There are some very tasty restaurants that don't cost as much. It doesn't have to be EITHER the most expensive place in town OR Burger King. Then you wouldn't mind hosting them. OTOH, if you wanted to splurge that's fine too. Sometimes I enjoy taking mine to a place I know they wouldn't go otherwise. The other thing is to be upfront with your expectations. You could say at the beginning, "I want to treat you both. How about I pay and you get the tip?" It clearly bugs you, so why not just say what you want rather than expecting them to intuit your desires?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    IMID, you can always file separately, but there are very few cases where it makes any sense to do so.
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

I've been crunching my tax numbers the last 10 days or so. I always gather everything and organize the data, then wait until April 1. This year we can file separately instead of jointly.

I realize I'm likely the only person on here finishing up and planning to mail, return receipt, on Friday instead of waiting until Tuesday... LOL

To quote Mark Twain:

The only difference between a
    tax man and a taxidermist is that
    the taxidermist leaves the skin.
    -- Mark Twain

Congratulations on getting your taxes done.

I did mine on Saturday via H & R block and e-filed just like I have done for about 5 years now.

2016 is the first year that I was completely retired so I had time to think about cheating a lot more than in years past and it sure did pay off. Last year, for 2015, I owed the feds more than 4 grand (2014 it was 6 grand). This year they owe me $85. Not a lot but better than years ago and surely not enough for one of Mike's steakhouse rip-offs.

Oh yeah, I broke even for the state of PA. Last year I owed them $260.

Ain't full retirement great? You just have to think about the right stuff. :D

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options

@imidazol97,
    I'm still waiting for Merrill Lynch to send a corrected 1099.
    Will be filing an extension.
    New accountant caught it, so I'm glad I went to him.

Damn, all you had to do was ask me. :o

jmonroe

• Options
    suydam said:

After being the victim of identity theft I always file early now. Identity thieves swoop in early to get the refund, knowing most people file towards the end of the deadline.

They better keep their mitts off my measly 85 bucks. :@

jmonroe

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    edited April 2017
    Random thoughts after reading through today's posts.

As was noted, getting family together is about the experience, not the price. Some folks can afford large $$$'s for a meal, others have a pot luck. Doesn't matter - enjoy the family time while you can. At some point, you won't be able to.

Remember, Mike lost a daughter a few years back, and his son had a major health scare. You aren't supposed to outlive your kids.

My mom has started drawing a line in the sand about this ... sometimes she'll treat the family to dinner, other times she won't. She's up front about it, however.

Housing prices - a childhood friend of mine is putting her house on the market and will be traveling the country with her husband in an RV. She has a 1400 sf house in Santa Barbara, and is asking $965K for it. Good thing I was sitting down when I saw that else I would have fallen over. My mom's house, about 30 miles south of SB, is the same size but would probably sell for half that. Maybe.

Inheritance - I know my mom has been "helping" my sister, here and there. Not much, and, again, my mom has been pretty open about it to me. I don't care - I suspect there will be something for all of us at the end, and I'll miss my mom way more than I'll enjoy the money.

Last - and certainly least - taxes. I really don't want to talk about them this year. So I won't. Let's just say I haven't filed yet, and probably won't until the last minute.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Just curious why you took them to a very expensive place in the first place? Living very close to that casino, I know how expensive it is, we just don't have the desire to spend that much on any meal. But you took them there instead of the many nice medium priced places we have here in the Coral Springs/Coconut Creek area. Going in you knew it's a very expensive place to go. So not entirely their fault here. I know my in-laws would never let us pay and would get very insulted if we did. But I always tried never the less because it was the right thing to do. My folks, just the opposite and they were milionaires many times over. When we took the check, they had no issue. Maybe it was me but for the rest of my siblings, they always paid and went out frequently. Think they were unhappy with how generous my in-laws were to us that they weren't generous at all but, I was the black sheep of the family which was also an issue. Lesson learned here is if you lead, family will follow. Next time, maybe one drink at a less expensive place. I know now as the parent, I don't want my kids to pay for us. Let them save and spend on themselves and their s o's. It gives us joy to pick up the tab and see how appreciative they are. Since we live way below our means, it ain't a problem! I know I'm the only opposite opinion on this matter but when the fox is let in the hen house, some feathers are gonna fly! And one thing I've learned in life, never expect anything because 90% of the time, you'll end up be disappointed! Hope, but never ever expect! The Sandman :)B)
    I agree, Sandy - with everything you said - but in answer to your question, my daughter wanted seafood - specifically lobster or shrimp or scallops because I asked what she wanted to eat.  I did not expect her to have shrimp cocktail and scallops and several glasses of wine.   The scallops were a special so no pricing was available.  Her SO ordered lobster tails which were listed as "market" price.  Whenever I see market price on a menu, I avoid it like the plague.

I learned my lesson - Dennys next year!!!  ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Michaell, I applaud your old friend for being one of the 17 remaining house-rich boomers in CA who haven't moved to the PNW (and then perpetually claiming things were better in "Cali"). Let me guess, bought it for 100K in 1983 - yeah, young people starting out today have it easy.

My sister was helped here and there by my mom too, especially after her messy divorce. I don't hold it against either of them. I'd rather not be in the position to need the help, and it's not like my sister was being greedy. I don't envy the drama she experienced, and she is past it now. Not like there will be seven figures to fight over anyway, so put it to good use when you need it most.

I filed my taxes the day after Vanguard released the needed documents. Keep that interest-free loan out for as short a time as possible.
  • Options
    A Jaguar from today's background noise feature flick :)

• Options
    edited April 2017
    abacomike said:

Just curious why you took them to a very expensive place in the first place? Living very close to that casino, I know how expensive it is, we just don't have the desire to spend that much on any meal. But you took them there instead of the many nice medium priced places we have here in the Coral Springs/Coconut Creek area. Going in you knew it's a very expensive place to go. So not entirely their fault here. I know my in-laws would never let us pay and would get very insulted if we did. But I always tried never the less because it was the right thing to do. My folks, just the opposite and they were milionaires many times over. When we took the check, they had no issue. Maybe it was me but for the rest of my siblings, they always paid and went out frequently. Think they were unhappy with how generous my in-laws were to us that they weren't generous at all but, I was the black sheep of the family which was also an issue.
    Lesson learned here is if you lead, family will follow. Next time, maybe one drink at a less expensive place. I know now as the parent, I don't want my kids to pay for us. Let them save and spend on themselves and their s o's. It gives us joy to pick up the tab and see how appreciative they are. Since we live way below our means, it ain't a problem!
    I know I'm the only opposite opinion on this matter but when the fox is let in the hen house, some feathers are gonna fly! And one thing I've learned in life, never expect anything because 90% of the time, you'll end up be disappointed! Hope, but never ever expect!

I agree, Sandy - with everything you said - but in answer to your question, my daughter wanted seafood - specifically lobster or shrimp or scallops because I asked what she wanted to eat.  I did not expect her to have shrimp cocktail and scallops and several glasses of wine.   The scallops were a special so no pricing was available.  Her SO ordered lobster tails which were listed as "market" price.  Whenever I see market price on a menu, I avoid it like the plague.

I learned my lesson - Dennys next year!
    !!  ;)

Honestly Mike, if my parents had asked where do you want to go to eat I would have picked out a moderately priced restaurant. They were on fixed incomes, they don't get another chance, and I would never have wanted to take advantage of them.

I also believe you can't buy 'love", and you can't buy "respect". If people want to get together then Dunkin Donuts should do. Most people want to show more hospitality and caring so a nice restaurant will do that, but only a shnorr would take advantage of the situation.

(Shnorr for those who don't know - Verb 1. shnorr - obtain or seek to obtain by cadging or wheedling; "he is always shnorring cigarettes from his friends"
    schnorr, scrounge, cadge
    beg - ask to obtain free; "beg money and food")

But, the good thing is you now know what you are dealing with. It was costly but it could have been more costly down the road, you have learned a valuable lesson about these people.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited April 2017
    Mike, we received an inheritance a few years ago. Fortunately for us we didn't really need it, so I have it all conservatively invested or in cash and it has grown moderately over the years. If we or someone else in the family ever had an emergency where we needed money I wouldn't hesitate to dip into it, but I don't expect that to happen. It is nice to know the money is there, but the plan is to have my son and his family inherit all of it.

Since he and his wife are doing very well in their own right, hopefully they can invest and keep it growing for their three sons, and on and on down the line. When it comes to picking up the tab for dinner, golf, or whatever, he always tries to pay. I think he is aware that anything I spend is actually his money !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

!!  ;)

Honestly Mike, if my parents had asked where do you want to go to eat I would have picked out a moderately priced restaurant. They were on fixed incomes, they don't get another chance, and I would never have wanted to take advantage of them.

I also believe you can't buy 'love", and you can't buy "respect". If people want to get together then Dunkin Donuts should do. Most people want to show more hospitality and caring so a nice restaurant will do that, but only a shnorr would take advantage of the situation.

(Shnorr for those who don't know - Verb 1. shnorr - obtain or seek to obtain by cadging or wheedling; "he is always shnorring cigarettes from his friends"
    schnorr, scrounge, cadge
    beg - ask to obtain free; "beg money and food")

But, the good thing is you now know what you are dealing with. It was costly but it could have been more costly down the road, you have learned a valuable lesson about these people.

If your going to call people names the least you can do is spell it correctly.

It is "schnorr". :@

jmonroe

• Options
    houdini1 said:

Mike, we received an inheritance a few years ago. Fortunately for us we didn't really need it, so I have it all conservatively invested or in cash and it has grown moderately over the years. If we or someone else in the family ever had an emergency where we needed money I wouldn't hesitate to dip into it, but I don't expect that to happen. It is nice to know the money is there, but the plan is to have my son and his family inherit all of it.

Since he and his wife are doing very well in their own right, hopefully they can invest and keep it growing for their three sons, and on and on down the line. When it comes to picking up the tab for dinner, golf, or whatever, he always tries to pay. I think he is aware that anything I spend is actually his money !!

Same with my 2 sons.

It's almost to the point that they don't want to go out to dinner with us unless they pick up the tab. I'm more than happy to let them do it but their mother grabs the check first. I play alligator arms or turtle feet or whatever they say in Canada. Now they sneakingly tell the server before dinner to give them the check.

My response is usually, "if your going to buy me dinner, at least tell me that up front so that I don't order the hamburger special". :@

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe said:
    Just curious why you took them to a very expensive place in the first place? Living very close to that casino, I know how expensive it is, we just don't have the desire to spend that much on any meal. But you took them there instead of the many nice medium priced places we have here in the Coral Springs/Coconut Creek area. Going in you knew it's a very expensive place to go. So not entirely their fault here. I know my in-laws would never let us pay and would get very insulted if we did. But I always tried never the less because it was the right thing to do. My folks, just the opposite and they were milionaires many times over. When we took the check, they had no issue. Maybe it was me but for the rest of my siblings, they always paid and went out frequently. Think they were unhappy with how generous my in-laws were to us that they weren't generous at all but, I was the black sheep of the family which was also an issue. Lesson learned here is if you lead, family will follow. Next time, maybe one drink at a less expensive place. I know now as the parent, I don't want my kids to pay for us. Let them save and spend on themselves and their s o's. It gives us joy to pick up the tab and see how appreciative they are. Since we live way below our means, it ain't a problem! I know I'm the only opposite opinion on this matter but when the fox is let in the hen house, some feathers are gonna fly! And one thing I've learned in life, never expect anything because 90% of the time, you'll end up be disappointed! Hope, but never ever expect! The Sandman :)B)

!!  ;)

Honestly Mike, if my parents had asked where do you want to go to eat I would have picked out a moderately priced restaurant. They were on fixed incomes, they don't get another chance, and I would never have wanted to take advantage of them. I also believe you can't buy 'love", and you can't buy "respect". If people want to get together then Dunkin Donuts should do. Most people want to show more hospitality and caring so a nice restaurant will do that, but only a shnorr would take advantage of the situation. (Shnorr for those who don't know - Verb 1. shnorr - obtain or seek to obtain by cadging or wheedling; "he is always shnorring cigarettes from his friends" schnorr, scrounge, cadge beg - ask to obtain free; "beg money and food") But, the good thing is you now know what you are dealing with. It was costly but it could have been more costly down the road, you have learned a valuable lesson about these people.
    If your going to call people names the least you can do is spell it correctly. It is "schnorr". :@ jmonroe

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    There's no "correct" spelling with a Yiddish term unless you're writing it in Hebrew letters. That's why the December holiday is variously spelled Hanukkah, Chanukah, or anything else that gets the sound right. 
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

jmonroe

Sorry, I slipped and used the Canadian spelling (haven't had to use that excuse for awhile now) :p

• Options
    edited April 2017
    suydam said:

There's no "correct" spelling with a Yiddish term unless you're writing it in Hebrew letters. That's why the December holiday is variously spelled Hanukkah, Chanukah, or anything else that gets the sound right. 

Thanks suydam, I thought JMonroe was really reaching there. Sometimes a Yiddish word just works, when there is no English equivalent. Like Mishigina, crazy just isn't the same.

Now JMonroe will complain about that spelling too! :'(

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe

Sorry, I slipped and used the Canadian spelling (haven't had to use that excuse for awhile now) :p
    You disappointed me. I left the door open with my use of the word "your". I know it's not spelled incorrectly, it's a grammar misuse in that sentence. It should have been "you're" but you didn't walk through that door.

Too late now. :p

jmonroe

• Options
    driver100 said:

suydam said:

Thanks suydam, I thought JMonroe was really reaching there. Sometimes a Yiddish word just works, when there is no English equivalent. Like Mishigina, crazy just isn't the same.

Now JMonroe will complain about that spelling too! :'(
    You did it again.

Let me introduce you to this site: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/meshugana.

You're welcome. B)

jmonroe

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

I'm feeling fortunate. My son, throughout the years, hasn't really asked me for anything. Yes, I paid for him to go to private schools and college (at least the first 4 years), he worked all through high school and college to provide himself with "running around" money, books, insuranced and pertrol for the cars he's had.

He has a good job in IT. Enjoys spending time with his Dad. Is a joy to be around.

I really can't ask for more. I'm proud of him!

I can apply as written for my son too. I did supply his HS car, which went all the way through college and a little beyond (our old TL which I paid $2k for and got 6 years use!). Once he graduated and had a job, I did repo it though when he bought his first new car. Now he is off on his own, making engineer money, and not asking me for anything. And he still talks to us and comes to visit. Even going on vacation together next week.

So overall I consider him a successful investment!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    And, I believe that the most famous schnorrer was, of course, Captain Spaulding. The African Explorer.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    [non-permissible content removed] seems appropriate at this point, and I'm pretty sure it's spelled correctly.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited April 2017
    Who knew that *chmuck was non-permissible content? I guess it's a trigger.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Language, people, language!!! ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited April 2017
    As much as I'd like to shoot an elephant in my pajamas, we might want to swing back towards cars before someone gets insulted and leaves in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff.
    If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff

:)

Now I HAVE to get those DVD's out!
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    stickguy said:

I'm feeling fortunate. My son, throughout the years, hasn't really asked me for anything. Yes, I paid for him to go to private schools and college (at least the first 4 years), he worked all through high school and college to provide himself with "running around" money, books, insuranced and pertrol for the cars he's had.

He has a good job in IT. Enjoys spending time with his Dad. Is a joy to be around.

I really can't ask for more. I'm proud of him!

I can apply as written for my son too. I did supply his HS car, which went all the way through college and a little beyond (our old TL which I paid $2k for and got 6 years use!). Once he graduated and had a job, I did repo it though when he bought his first new car. Now he is off on his own, making engineer money, and not asking me for anything. And he still talks to us and comes to visit. Even going on vacation together next week.

So overall I consider him a successful investment!
    This sounds like my relationship with my own parents. I'm very lucky.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

You disappointed me. I left the door open with my use of the word "your". I know it's not spelled incorrectly, it's a grammar misuse in that sentence. It should have been "you're" but you didn't walk through that door.

Too late now. :p

jmonroe
    I caught it...I am just too nice a person to criticize someone's grammar ;)

And, if you believe that I have this bridge........