Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,685

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

A little more information RE Lost Key;

The key has a chip matched to the Toyota van's internal electronics and any replacement would have to be programmed with a code at the original dealership. They are offering a $500 reward for anyone who finds and returns the lost keys.

The Higgens family told All Points West guest host Richard Zussman that they had just bought the car a few weeks before and were only given the one key.

"There is so much technology in this car that we were unaware of because this is the newest car that we've ever owned," Maria said. "We just did not know how critical this master RFID chip key was."

Toyota Canada confirmed that they could not cut a copy of the key for the Higgens because the 15-year-old vehicle was imported and not intended for the North American market so they do not have the necessary technology.

Yeh, why would someone export the car to here, why would you buy a car and not get a duplicate key made right away? One reason I don't like one of a kind cars.

So, sounds like this is a case of someone who got a "deal" on a grey market vehicle. Deal isn't looking so good right about now.

This happens in the audio electronics world all the time. Someone finds a "deal" on an amplifier or other piece of gear. It happens to be meant for a different part of the world. Something goes sideways with it and they find out no one will fix it for them (or can, but charges an onerous fee).
    I have a new policy regarding receivers and amps. Never pay to have them fixed. First, buy brands that have quality and reliability built-in, and secondly, if it breaks in some way, sell it as-is. I made the mistake of repairing a high-end Harmon Kardon receiver so that I could sell it for top-dollar. Granted, I let it sit for a very long time, but I tested it, and everything worked, and sold it. The buyer got it, and within 10 minutes reported that a channel of the amp went out (different problem than originally fixed by the repair shop; so couldn't blame them). Although I sold it as-is, my personal honor would have required the thing to work as advertised for 24-48 hours at least. Since it broke within minutes of being tested, I had to ante up.

Ended up paying in the two repairs what I sold it for. Broke even. The good thing was that the buyer took it back, and was glad I "warrantied" it for him.
    I sell most of my used electronics gear on Ebay. I make a point of telling the buyer that I strongly suggest getting insurance as, even though I can guarantee that it worked when it left my hands, there are NO GUARANTEES it will work once FedEx or UPS gets done with it. And, if there are issues, it will be because of shipping, not any malfeasance on my end. It's used equipment, any thing can go wrong.

That said, I have a whole closet full of equipment that I plan on "getting around to using" some day. Most of the manufacturers are no longer in business. Just had to move a "heavy as a wheelbarrel of bricks B&K amp this a.m. to get at another piece of gear I'm repurposing.
    That's why I'm reluctant to sell a car to someone I know. If something breaks they'll assume you scammed them. With this recent sale I provided every repair record and was honest about every defect to a fault. Mostly he didn't care. I told him he could go out on the highway and pound on it but he declined. Easiest sale I ever made.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

abacomike said:

Can't trust those darn Canadians (Pear Trees) - they conceal many birds of a different feather!!!  :D

The Cobalt has been parked there during day all week and hasn't been "bombed."

You probably shined it up so well that the birds saw their reflection and thought it was a rival. In the spring we often have male cardinals attack our car mirrors with "beaks and bombs".

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Just came back from the car dealer looking at GMC Acadia's with my future(next week), son in law.

Who's paying?

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    if he is buying a nice new car for a future (not even current) SIL, I hope he has a son for my daughter!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    edited June 2017
    They can afford their own new vehicle. I'm just helping out with the research.
    We are paying for the wedding and reception.
    Still less that the cost of a new Acadia. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

abacomike said:

Can't trust those darn Canadians (Pear Trees) - they conceal many birds of a different feather!!!  :D

The Cobalt has been parked there during day all week and hasn't been "bombed."

That is not PC.

You might be able to file a law suit and when you are at the preliminary hearing make sure the judge jails them on the grounds that they are an imminent flight risk. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    edited June 2017

Just came back from the car dealer looking at GMC Acadia's with my future(next week), son in law.

What a nice wedding gift.

EDIT: I posted before the other guys slammed you. But, it would still be very nice.

jmonroe

• Options

andres3 said:

The first time I went to fill-up my S4 with gas, I think I wasted 10 minutes looking for the gas cover lid release lever/button. I couldn't find one, and I was a former Audi owner.

The secret trick is to push the lid inward, and it pops out (as long as the car is unlocked). Somewhere between 2006 and 2014 they went to this top-secret design.

You should have asked a Malibu owner. They've had it for a long time. Same with Cruze. Ahead of their time. LOL

You know, since they are GM cars, you're gonna get the question...how long after the warranty till it craps out? :o

jmonroe

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    They can afford their own new vehicle. I'm just helping out with the research.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    I think I've talked about it before, but our wedding was over the top and very pricey.  We paid for about 75% of it ourselves and in one way shape or form 5 years later still paying for it (by having to finance other things or extra mortgage payments etc etc)

I would do it again, but it is certainly a major expense 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@tjc78,
    My daughter had driven an SLT model on a business trip and really liked it.
    They both like that it has the 2nd row buckets, so there is some room for the dog to get to the 3rd row.
    Storage behind the 3rd row is small, 12 cubic feet, but you can just add cross bars for the rooftop cargo box.

Behind the third row wouldn't take our double stroller, but we barely use the thing anyway.  I know I like the looks of it, with the V6 pretty powerful too. 

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,370
    andres3 said:

Delivered the Mark VIII to it's new owner today so I've reluctantly deleted it from my profile. I don't think it wanted to go as the check engine light came on as I was moving it in the driveway the day after the buyer's test drive. How's that for luck?

I didn't want to deliver the car with a light on and I was about to make an appointment with my mechanic. Last thing I wanted to do was spend money on a $1000 car but I felt obligated. Then I recalled that the test drive was done with very low fuel level. I wondered if perhaps a speck of grit from the bottom of the tank had gotten into an injector. Just a wild guess.

So I took the car out on the road, got it up to about 30 and nailed it. Hit the gears just right. It shifted way down, took a millisecond pause and then opened up with a roar. RPMs popped to almost the 6000 red line, the hood rose and I was flying. It was the most fun I ever had in that car.

And luckily the CEL went out. It was if the old girl just wanted to go to a new home with a flourish. Delivered it to the new owner with any and all carbon totally blown out. :p

I had a window regulator die on the 5 Series the night before the buyer picked it up. 
    Did that lower their planned offer (was a deal already made regarding dollar amount?)

The deal was already made; I called the buyer after I got a repair quote from the indie shop we both used and told her I'd either reduce the price by the cost of repair or she could take it to the shop and I'd pay the bill. She chose the latter option.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    stickguy said:

I tell my daughter the way to go is eloping to Vegas and getting married at the Elvis chapel. And no, I am not kidding. IMO, weddings and funerals are the 2 biggest wastes of money going!

Our funeral won't be a waste of money...at least not mine. The funeral lady said if we paid now we get the funeral in today's dollars. I said we'll pay later once we are gone, then it can come out of the kid's inheritance money....that way it will cost me less, a lot less. I signed up for drinks and sandwiches for about 100 people.....did you guys want to be invited?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I tell my daughter the way to go is eloping to Vegas and getting married at the Elvis chapel. And no, I am not kidding. IMO, weddings and funerals are the 2 biggest wastes of money going!

Our funeral won't be a waste of money...at least not mine. The funeral lady said if we paid now we get the funeral in today's dollars. I said we'll pay later once we are gone, then it can come out of the kid's inheritance money....that way it will cost me less, a lot less. I signed up for drinks and sandwiches for about 100 people.....did you guys want to be invited?
    I can't speak for the other guys in here, but hell yeah, if I'm still around.

Just put me on the "if he can make it list". :'(

jmonroe

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

I thought the tradition of paying for one's daughter's wedding expenses had gone the way of the Dodo bird. So I guess we are not alone after all. Some 20 years ago we paid for our daughter's wedding with the help of a home equity loan. That financial pain was repeated again earlier this year when I paid for their 20th. wedding anniversary cruise to the Caribbean.

The payoff was huge as they brought us a pair of wonderful children. The first, my grandson graduated high school last week and will be going to college this fall to pursue a degree in environmental science. My granddaughter, the smart one, will be starting college next fall.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I told my son that I'd give him two plane tickets to go to Europe for a honeymoon, or he could take the value in cash (around $5K for 1st class). He's been dating the same girl for awhile. Neither seem to be in any hurry to get married, though.

I'm not one to go in on big weddings....for obvious reasons.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Driver, you may want to think of an "outside the box" design for your coffin. In Ghana and other parts of Africa you can be buried in an exotic coffin of your choosing, even the likeness of a Mercedes Benz.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I think I mentioned that my wedding only cost $20.

I insist that my funeral cost no more. I suggested that my wife find a big cardboard box and put me out on the curb.

That's inside the box thinking.

• Options
    Here's something funny. I finally figured out how to delete my Lincoln from the listing under my posts and I noticed that ALL my posts had the car listing changed. Even those made beforeI sold the car.

So I went back to page 1 of this board and sure enough my posts back in June of 2014 have me listed as owning a 2015 Mustang. Guess that makes me an early adapter. B)

• Options
    Ha ha, the signature file appends to any post by your login name.  Any forums I'm on it works that way.  I can go back to post from 2006 and it says I have a 2015 Enclave and 2017 Elantra 

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    bwia said:

I thought the tradition of paying for one's daughter's wedding expenses had gone the way of the Dodo bird. So I guess we are not alone after all. Some 20 years ago we paid for our daughter's wedding with the help of a home equity loan. That financial pain was repeated again earlier this year when I paid for their 20th. wedding anniversary cruise to the Caribbean.

The payoff was huge as they brought us a pair of wonderful children. The first, my grandson graduated high school last week and will be going to college this fall to pursue a degree in environmental science. My granddaughter, the smart one, will be starting college next fall.
    Congrats on your wonderful grandchildren. I didn't realize one had to pay to get them. Maybe that's what I'm missing. :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I was just proving my theory... came across this gem of a thread from the "Old Days" I was accused of bashing GM and even @imidazol97 was on me!

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/3234625#Comment_3234625

• Options

stickguy said:

I insist that my funeral cost no more. I suggested that my wife find a big cardboard box and put me out on the curb.

OH NO. She made you into little pieces for all those boxes? :'(

jmonroe

• Options

Here's something funny. I finally figured out how to delete my Lincoln from the listing under my posts and I noticed that ALL my posts had the car listing changed. Even those made beforeI sold the car.

So I went back to page 1 of this board and sure enough my posts back in June of 2014 have me listed as owning a 2015 Mustang. Guess that makes me an early adapter. B)

Yeah, so.

I had a 2012 Subie back then and a '15 Genny...so what's your point? :o

jmonroe

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    tjc78 said:

I was just proving my theory... came across this gem of a thread from the "Old Days" I was accused of bashing GM and even @imidazol97 was on me!

A pretty dubious thread with people singing the praises of the Hyundai Azera :o and moderator Pat (RIP) ruling with an iron hand.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    bwia said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Driver, you may want to think of an "outside the box" design for your coffin. In Ghana and other parts of Africa you can be buried in an exotic coffin of your choosing, even the likeness of a Mercedes Benz.

I like it....I am being cremated, so can they just put my ashes in one of those? Could leave it in my parking spot in the garage....and my wife can remember me :)

• Options

ab348 said:

A pretty dubious thread with people singing the praises of the Hyundai Azera :o and moderator Pat (RIP) ruling with an iron hand.

That thread and the original Midsize sedans thread were great.  Things got heated so often, lots of time wasted there. 

• Options
    jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

OH NO. She made you into little pieces for all those boxes? :'(

jmonroe
    No, no, not at all. She just hid me among the other boxes so the trash man wouldn't catch on. :p

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I'll go to your funeral if you go to mine :p
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,158
    jmonroe said:

OH NO. She made you into little pieces for all those boxes? jmonroe

I've been reading lots of Kathy Reich's books. The Bones lady. Lots of her cases involve bodies that have been "parted out" in ways like that. Too close to the reality of the novels here. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I'll go to your funeral if you go to mine :p
    Sounds fair enough! What are pals for?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    I don't like funerals and have been to too many of them. Makes me think of what mine should be like.

My B-I-L passed away a month and a bit ago and his service was held a few weeks ago. It was packed, as he was well known in the community, wrote several books, appeared regularly on radio, and prior to all that was a well-regarded schoolteacher. Certainly a life well-lived. What I found odd about his service was just how poorly all of those 80 years were summed up. There were a few speakers but they each talked about their narrow slice of experience with him. Nobody seemed to capture the bigger picture. It left me disappointed. Not sure how you orchestrate something better but it made me realize I need to figure out something.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Got to my brother's place safely.  Rained the last 60 miles.  Averaged 35.6 mpg at 75-80 mph - unbelievable for a 4300 pound car.

The auto-steering capabilities made the trip effortless.  Really enjoyed the ride - had the ride option set at "Comfort Plus"!  Truly a great automobile!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

What an impressive car! Love the color too.

I see you have the same electronic parking brake our new Civic has and I'm not sure why Honda/Acura went with these? I like the secure feel of yanking on the brake lever. If the impossible were to happen and all brake hydraulics were lost, I don't think that little button would stop the car.

Not necessarily a "bad" thing but to me anyway a "why" thing?

Craig...thanks! How you liking your Civic after you've driven it for a little bit? My son has the bug now, too. He's looking at the R version, though. I doubt he'll make a change that quickly, though. He still is in lust with his GTI!

Never thought about the parking "button" but I tend to agree with you. Doubt it's going to stop much of anything.
    The only gripe I have about our new Civic is the amount of space between the bottom of the steering wheel and the seat. I'm not a big guy at 5'11 but it's a squeeze especially when my back is sore. Other than that, it is surprisingly quiet, very nimble and the CVT transmission gives it plenty of power.

Still, had I to do it again, I just might have gone with an Accord.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Then I spotted this......what is it/ Some kind of Chryco;

Definitely a Chrysler - you can tell by the shape of the steering wheel.  My very first car was a 1861 Chrysler Newport Coupe which had a similar shaped steering wheel and push-button transmission on the left side of the dash like the one above.  This one looks like a '50's New Yorker IIRC.  Might possibly be a Plymouth deluxe or Belvedere.  

I think that is a 1963 Chrysler Imperial wheel.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So we all agree that it's better to attend a wedding rather than a funeral?

Also, we all prefer buying a car to a wedding, right? Of course, I could do without all the excessive paperwork in CA. I imagine other States are a bit more streamlined.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

the car was found abandoned like that. Oh, well, it's only $400,000.

The guy probably fled the scene because he had been drinking and he didn't want the cops to show up and give him a DUI!

• Options
    ab348 said:

I don't like funerals and have been to too many of them. Makes me think of what mine should be like.

My B-I-L passed away a month and a bit ago and his service was held a few weeks ago. It was packed, as he was well known in the community, wrote several books, appeared regularly on radio, and prior to all that was a well-regarded schoolteacher. Certainly a life well-lived. What I found odd about his service was just how poorly all of those 80 years were summed up. There were a few speakers but they each talked about their narrow slice of experience with him. Nobody seemed to capture the bigger picture. It left me disappointed. Not sure how you orchestrate something better but it made me realize I need to figure out something.

I prefer the "Celebration of Life" type funerals. I went to one that was particularly good...if you can say that, friends gave short brief talks about some funny or interesting things that they did with the person being honored.

I hate it when you go to a funeral and someone's cellphone goes off! :@

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,480
    @abacomike - I was thinking about your amazing MPG stats on your 740. Isn't there something like 0 elevation change in Florida? I just looked it up - the highest point in the entire state is 345 feet above sea level in the panhandle.

What kind of mileage do you think you'd get if you had to go up and down - gasp! - a hill? Not to mention the mountains we have out west.

:smile:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Michaell said:

@abacomike - I was thinking about your amazing MPG stats on your 740. Isn't there something like 0 elevation change in Florida? I just looked it up - the highest point in the entire state is 345 feet above sea level in the panhandle.

What kind of mileage do you think you'd get if you had to go up and down - gasp! - a hill? Not to mention the mountains we have out west.

Add also the fact that the gas in many Mountain States has 2 octanes less on all levels, which is fine for naturally aspirated engines, not so much for turbocharged. I was wondering it myself, what would the gas mileage be for those great BMW motors, whether 2 or 3 litter.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    A niece of my wife just got her first car, a 2014 BMW 428i convertible. Girl can not even get her permit until September.

I was thinking back to high school graduation in 65 and mentioned to my father that a new Chevelle or GTO like some friends were getting would be nice. His reply was "you are out of school, get a job and buy one", so I did.
  • Options
    jwm40517 said:

A niece of my wife just got her first car, a 2014 BMW 428i convertible. Girl can not even get her permit until September.

I was thinking back to high school graduation in 65 and mentioned to my father that a new Chevelle or GTO like some friends were getting would be nice. His reply was "you are out of school, get a job and buy one", so I did.

Yeah, a convertible BMW is what a teenager needs to have their head level and see the world in right prroportions.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,184
    I am sure she will go on to a life free from entitlement issues and obliviousness.

Regarding funerals - don't have one. My dad requested no formal service, so did my grandfather.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    That Fit could be a fun car. I assume it is going to get one of the turbo motors. That should make it a lot more interesting!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,480
    dino001 said:

Michaell said:

Add also the fact that the gas in many Mountain States has 2 octanes less on all levels, which is fine for naturally aspirated engines, not so much for turbocharged. I was wondering it myself, what would the gas mileage be for those great BMW motors, whether 2 or 3 litter.
    I run 87 (mid grade) in the Jetta; seems to do just fine.

For grins, I oughta put a tank of 91 in it and see if I can notice a difference.

@breld has three turbos in his fleet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Michaell said:

dino001 said:

Michaell said:

For grins, I oughta put a tank of 91 in it and see if I can notice a difference.

I remember Mazdaspeed6 from early 2000s required 93 octanes by its manual and there were some claims of suboptimal results with "Western" premium (91), even some legal action was considered, but I'm sure the class was too small. My 328 has 89 as minimum octane number on its fuel door, which is more than regular (87), but less than premium (93) in our fuel system in Florida. They unfortunately blend up to 10 (or even 15?) percent ethanol here, which drops performance and gas mileage, regardless of octane number. I know my 2008 STI was affected for sure, as that engine was developed for blend before they started adding this garbage.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

Michaell said:

I would get 20% less mpg for sure.  I think we have a 300+ foot high hill about 3 miles from where I live - we call it a garbage fill.  All green from grass and trees they plant - but a "dump" is its proper name.

We are as flat as a pancake.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Michaell said:

Our RUG is 87 octane; mid grade is 89 octane; PUG is 93 octane - here in Florida.  10% ethanol is the max limit unless it is posted as more - never seen higher than 10% though down here.

2021 Genesis G90