Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    tifighter said:

Currently in Corsica. Rental in possession is as follows:

It's almost made for here...

I had a good time in Corsica. Interesting place. The people certainly aren't French, and not quite Italian. Driving there can be a challenge up in the mountains. I did it in a Golf and it was just fine.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    tifighter said:

Currently in Corsica. Rental in possession is as follows:

It's almost made for here...

Looks like you're driving on the sidewalk too. Well done. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Now we all know the only car to drive in Corsica is this:

Extra points if the rare and somewhat Euro style 5 door.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    ab348 said:

Looks like you're driving on the sidewalk too. Well done. ;)

Driving on the sidewalk here wouldn't cause anyone to look up from their cappuccino.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605

I had a good time in Corsica. Interesting place. The people certainly aren't French, and not quite Italian. Driving there can be a challenge up in the mountains. I did it in a Golf and it was just fine.

Most of village names are Italian, or at least more so than French. Still, they're pretty fond of that Napoleon guy here...

Spent most of the day in the mountains yesterday. As you know, the roads are unreal. And none of this has done much to cure me of my want of an Abarth.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    The Corsicans are kind of fierce. Interesting language. At first I thought they were speaking Italian but then realized I didn't understand it..even though it sounds Italian. Very attractive people.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Looks like a tough way to spend your vacation. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I rented a Fiat in Sicily and it worked out pretty well on those tight streets. It's part of my "Major Islands of the Med" tour---all I have left to do is Malta. Sardinia and Crete some years ago. Hmmm...does Cyprus count?
  • Options
    I hope you like Toyotas - shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who has rented in the past few years. The endless stream of rental Camry, Corolla, and Highlander among others here attests to it.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,304
    I've got a quick trip planned to the Bay Area next week. Standard size reserved from Hertz.  

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited July 2017
    I'd like to hear some reviews of the rental experience from the personnel at the rental companies. I posted about my son's odd experience with a desk person pushing the insurance (son has all covered by his employer) and a fib about finding open gas stations in the area to fill up before return. Desk agent didn't seem to like his ID that the company issued and wanted a business card. Reservation was made using the company CC if I recall.

Then he was given the Yaris with no cruise control. Someone with a rental company implied that that company's workers might retaliate by not giving the usual upgrade as punishment if they didn't like the traveler's attitudes. Retaliation? Wait till the worker has met me with little sleep on a red eye flight and a wife with severe back pain problems along with claustrophobia in airplanes if they don't like attitudes when things don't go Chick-Fil-A smooth. LOL

What are experiences others have with various agencies? We're considering a rare trip by air at the end of the fall with a rental car at the other end.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I've only rented from National for the last few decades, if I can help it. A couple of times from Alamo, which is the same company.

I've never had an issue, anywhere.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I've never had a real issue with any of them, I've rented from a number over the past several years - Sixt, Hertz, National, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar. I have been irked by a few low spec or miled up cars, but I 1lived with it for the cheap rate. I never reserve the cheapest rental class, which might reduce the odds of getting something without cruise etc.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I wrote about my positive experience with a Buick Envision at National last week. Have to say, I continue to be impressed with the selections. My wife and I just landed in Vancouver BC today and they had a fresh Chrysler 300S, nicely loaded with leather and pano, and 358 km on it. I got excited when I saw the "S" tagged onto the deck lid, thinking maybe it was a Hemi (didn't there used to be an "S" version of the previous body style that was always a Hemi, just like the 300C?) but it is a 6. Still a very nice way to tool around Canada for the next 8 days.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think you'll see many Highlanders at rental counters. Aren't that many on dealer lots really. For an SUV you are probably more likely to see a 4 Runner from Toyota when you rent.
  • Options
    I've seen numerous rental Highlanders around suburban Seattle, 4 Runners too. At one time, rental Sienna were also common, but have been replaced by Chrysler and Kia.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I had to drive a new 2017 Yaris today at work. No cruise control, manual outside mirrors on both sides. So, makes no sense about some retaliation nonsense because as I said earlier, the Yaris vehicles Hertz rents HAVE NO CRUISE CONTROL!! Pretty base model but it drove pretty nicely for it's size and was pretty good on gas. These are the lowest price vehicle we rent at Hertz and more folks than you think reserve those because they know that they go fast and if none left, they get the free upgrade. An old game and since working at Hertz for almost 4 years now, see this a lot. None of our work force wears a badge, they give the customer their business card. Don't know why they do it this way, but no one wears a badge...no one! I know that there is turnover with the folks who rent the vehicles, some quit after awhile while others are moved to different locations as they move up the ladder. Having business cards is just the way things are done.
    I have gotten to know some of our staff pretty well and the majority of them are nice, friendly folks who work long hours and have to deal with many folks who are in a hurry and want to be done NOW, others who demand upgrades because they don't like the color or the brand of vehicle. Our ads usually say "or like vehicle" so folks know that they can't rent a particular model. If we can get a particular model for a customer, of course we do and I know this because I am one of the folks who move the vehicles around from office to office. We try but can't always get that Impala that's in the ad. We had one lady recently throw a real fit because she wanted the Impala she saw in the ad. It got a bit heated as she refused to understand the concept of "like vehicle" and she was a bit verbally abusive to the lady helping her. Have also seen folks threaten an employee where the station manager was forced to suggest the customer go rent from a company that's a better fit for what he wants. I was very impressed with the way my manager stepped in and brought calm back to a ridiculous situation.
    I could go on but think one gets the point. It's not always the renter's fault or the rentee's, but folks need to act reasonably...on both sides of the counter!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Fin - Interesting. Hasn't been my experience so I was surprised.

Sandman - Hertz probably needs to move it all to the National approach where consumer picks from a group in the lot like they currently test marketing. That would probably head off some of those issues you are talking about.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    That's the model I prefer. Then you can check yourself if a vehicle smells smoky or is kinda ratty inside. People are usually so tired by the time they get to the rental car counter, they just want to get something decent and get to their destination.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    It amazes me what some people do to cars!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think rental fleets vary by area - Highlanders might not be everywhere. Just like rental Subaru are not uncommon in this part of the world.

The National pick a car idea is a winner, and is being used by more firms in time.

I don't think I could be a rental car agent, I have seen some whining too - I would be tossing people out by their collars. The hard sell-upsell stuff would also irk me.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Got a brand-new (<200 miles) GMC Acadia today as a service loaner/comped rental.

My initial impression was that I didn't like it much, based on the interior trim. GMC uses a lot of silver plastic trim bits on the dash and membrane controls on the steering wheel, neither of which I like much. There is also some plastic woodgrain which is a unique style I haven't seen before with very prominent fake grain marks on it. But after driving it a while, I started to warm up to it. Figuratively at least, as it has meat-locker cold A/C. It actually drives remarkably well, with nice direct steering and plenty of power - I managed to spin the front wheels (it is a FWD model) twice in the first few minutes accelerating from a stop. Lots of room, nice ride, handles well for such a barge, It does all the usual things you expect from a vehicle this size well and then some. Properly optioned, this would be a very pleasant ride.

The only negatives are the size itself - it is just much bigger than I am used to, or need - and a couple of times already the accursed engine stop/start really was jerky. That is not a feature I will ever be on-side with I think. They really do need to rid themselves of those membrane steering wheel switches too. But otherwise, I like it.

• Options
    I agree that stop start needs to go. I doubt it saves near enough gas to offset its constant annoyances. At least you didn't get one those Explorer's that the news claims are giving cops carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Options
    Someone on a German language rental car forum I read just got a loaded G31 530d Touring from Sixt. Quite a sharp rental car, far more loaded than anything in a NA fleet, and forbidden fruit thanks to our marketers and product planners:

Interesting interior color:

I will be in Germany in less than 2 months, and have reserved a car from Sixt - I won't technically "need" it for the entire time of the reservation, but it will be a treat. I have reserved the "LSAR" category, which usually includes the 430/440 coupe or GC, and could contain result in a fun upgrade.
  • Options
    I don't understand that peachy-orange color it appears BMW are using in the interior. It looks like the same orange sherbet shade found in Chevy's "Kalahari" trims.

• Options
    On a German forum I read, someone got a VW Arteon from Sixt, this is apparently the CC replacement:

• Options
    fintail said:

On a German forum I read, someone got a VW Arteon from Sixt, this is apparently the CC replacement:

And, I believe it will be available in the States, as well.

Similar to A5 SportBack or 4-series GC.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Having an interesting rental experience currently. A local Ford dealer damaged the front bumper cover of my wife's Mustang while it was in for warranty work. They are fixing it, and provided a rental through the Enterprise branch they are contracted with. There is a shortage of rental cars in Texas right now due to Harvey, so the driver asked if I would mind driving the vehicle she picked me up in, a '17 Expedition EL Limited! My wife hasn't been thrilled driving such a barge but at least it's something.

I'm impressed with the ecoboost V6 in this truck. I intentionally stayed away from it when I bought my F-150 as I just like a good 'ole V8, but it works very well in the Expedition and even my wife noticed the power. The rest of this vehicle really needs a refresh, which it is getting in 2018. The interior is very similar to my truck, which seemed OK in 2013 but is very dated in 2017. I'm surprised by the little details, such as auto up/down only on the driver's window and keyless start without passive entry, meaning the remote still has to come out of your pocket to lock or unlock, given that this is a $58K vehicle.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    I picked up from the downtown Seattle location of National, last week. So, no Emerald Aisle :'( .

They asked if I wanted a Tahoe or Armada at no extra charge.. Uh, no thanks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Fin would have told you take one and mow down those timid Seattle drivers B)
  • Options
    An Armada with extra horns would be good at menacing the timid inept Prius and Leafs that clog Puget Sound area roads.
  • Options
    fintail said:

An Armada with extra horns would be good at menacing the timid inept Prius and Leafs that clog Puget Sound area roads.

Not so good for a tight hotel parking garage in Portland, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Now that I am under 2 months away from my next rental, I made the booking (prepaid for a 20% discount). Here's the reservation as displayed on my phone (some data redacted for privacy :) ) - wonder what I will get.

• Options
    You mean they'll switch cars or you'll switch cars?
  • Options
    When you rent, you usually rent a class, not a car. The 4er is an example of the class, but if it isn't in stock, there will likely be an upgrade. As Germany seems to be a little more advanced than much of this continent, an upgrade from the reserved class could mean 6er or M/AMG/S-RS car.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

Now that I am under 2 months away from my next rental, I made the booking (prepaid for a 20% discount). Here's the reservation as displayed on my phone (some data redacted for privacy :) ) - wonder what I will get.

There's an Autobahn Club of LA that is mostly exclusively for Euro cars (with a favoring to Audi), but all cars are welcome. Did an Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) run yesterday. Was a lot of fun, started early by 8 AM..

one guy had a nice BMW 440 Convertible rental, and got a flat tire. People in the club were able to help him repair/patch it on the spot (no spare in that car). We were out in the middle of nowhere, so probably would have taken awhile for the rental agency to reach him to swap out cars!

People in these Audi or Autobahn clubs are always seemingly very helpful and friendly, but they had an interest in the convertible as it was a perfect for the pace camera car for our photographer. Stretch of road where the professional photographer took what he called rollers (moving at about 30 MPH side by side) pictures of people's cars. Can't wait to see them.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I wonder who carries a 440 in the US. I know numerous fleets have BMW content, but that seems like a high model. Either a special car, or rented by Turo or an independent luxury firm. Most US BMW rentals I see are 320/528 or basic X3 and an X5 here and there. Others exist, but are quite rare.

All cars welcome, so if I show up in my mom's white Camry LE or a 2002 Cavalier, it'd be cool? :)
    andres3 said:

There's an Autobahn Club of LA that is mostly exclusively for Euro cars (with a favoring to Audi), but all cars are welcome. Did an Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) run yesterday. Was a lot of fun, started early by 8 AM..

one guy had a nice BMW 440 Convertible rental, and got a flat tire. People in the club were able to help him repair/patch it on the spot (no spare in that car). We were out in the middle of nowhere, so probably would have taken awhile for the rental agency to reach him to swap out cars!

People in these Audi or Autobahn clubs are always seemingly very helpful and friendly, but they had an interest in the convertible as it was a perfect for the pace camera car for our photographer. Stretch of road where the professional photographer took what he called rollers (moving at about 30 MPH side by side) pictures of people's cars. Can't wait to see them.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    fintail said:

I wonder who carries a 440 in the US. I know numerous fleets have BMW content, but that seems like a high model. Either a special car, or rented by Turo or an independent luxury firm. Most US BMW rentals I see are 320/528 or basic X3 and an X5 here and there. Others exist, but are quite rare.

All cars welcome, so if I show up in my mom's white Camry LE or a 2002 Cavalier, it'd be cool? :)

andres3 said:

Haha! Yeah, just keep to the back or use the turnouts and right lanes in passing zones prodigiously.

When the leader said "open to all cars" someone inevitably brought up "except Priuses." To which the leader emphasized "ALL cars welcome." So there you go, even a Prius. Didn't see any though.

Obviously the driver matters the most, but the fastest driven cars by the front of the pack were:
    • R8's
    • M3 and M2
    • Another TT and my TTS
    • Porsche (Cayman S & GT3)
    • S4's
    There was a young guy in a lowered EVO annoying people as he wanted to be near the front, but he was a tenth or 2 slower than a bunch of us and got us too far behind the M's and R's (to the point we didn't even see them make a turn off the road to the restaurant stop).

One of the best helps was a guy on a large sporty Honda motorbike in the group that helped with traffic control for people that might not realize there were 20 cars behind them in the rear view mirror.

ADDED SPECIAL NOTE:

People were actually for the most part very courteous and realized faster traffic existed for a reason. Not the usual LA experience.

Jay LENO sighting at Newcombs!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Someone needs to show up in a Prius C. You can rent those, too :)

From my experience driving around LA, they understand lane discipline more than up here. Although I guess that's something for another discussion.

I hope Leno was driving a Stanley Steamer or Tomahawk or something.
  • Options
    Nothing terribly special, but I've got a full size (Impala or equivalent) reserved for Cincinnati in a couple of weeks. Meeting a couple of co-workers there, so figured I should get something large enough for all three of us.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Watch out - lotta Ford Taurus out there in that category. Probably more room in a Camry and more comfortable as well. Impala is a nice car though if you really get one.
  • Options
    Yeah, many possibilities in that category, even more with a slight upgrade. New Impala is a nice enough car, but I think the old one is still in fleets, for the retro feel.

I saw a Car2Go CLA today.
  • Options
    I'm renting an "intermediate car" (I think that's rental speak for a compact car like the Elantra) in a few weeks. I'm renting through the Costco program.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I've seen some new Impala's at Hertz, but you are right about old model as well. I think they call it "classic" and we know what that did for Coke in the 80's B)
  • Options
    berri said:

I've seen some new Impala's at Hertz, but you are right about old model as well. I think they call it "classic" and we know what that did for Coke in the 80's B)

I still remember Malibu Classic Rentals. Some were just badged "Classic".

A Kia rental in the 90's is what kept me away from the brand until 2016. It felt like a tin can, and I was comparing it to a Neon! :disappointed:
  • Options
    I had that Classic as a rental once. Never again!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I think most of the prior gen Malibu are out of fleets now, but a few remain - I read a report of one just the other day. Loaded model anyway. The vintage style Impala is/was the "Limited", I think production might have ceased, but no doubt fleets stored up a bunch of them to be used for awhile.

The 00s era "Classic" Malibu was a brand equity-killing model if there ever was one, I have to imagine many who rented it were not thrilled by Chevy. Penny wise, pound foolish, no thought of future consequences - traits of so many auto industry execs.
  • Options
    Yes, it knocked Chevy off my list for the next 20 years. Stupid of Chevy. OTOH my son has the previous gen Impala. While the current one is much better, the older Impala isn't a bad car.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I've walked through the parking area for Hertz at local airport inside the garage. I don't recall any previous generation Impalas in the fleet. I saw maybe 1 or 2 newer Impalas among a sea of toyota and nissans parked in the Hertz slots and in an alley which must be their return drop.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    No doubt the 06 style was competent enough when new, and probably isn't an unreliable mess. Not really up to par when still in production in ~2016, however. I don't know if it has the best impact on brand cachet when one new to the marque rents it. I remember having a virtually new one as a rental in 2011, it was perfectly acceptable.