Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    driver100 said:

It looks like the 2018 Lexus LS will be radically different. The front grill looks a little over the top, but, it will probably look nicer when you see it from the angle you actually view it at...not a picture that is taken too close too the ground making the grill look larger and taller than it is.

You didn't include a picture from that angle.

I dunno. I always felt that LS buyers were fairly conservative, and aside from the grille this car not only has all the swoopy design cues that are on many mass-market Japanese designs these days, but also appears lower and much sportier. Wonder if they will alienate their customer base, especially without a V-8?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @driver100....that water is bottled by the city and resold at establishments locally. Not sure how much they're actually marketing it in other locales. Not sure they're capable of producing enough outside of what they do for the local community, either. You and I had the same idea when I saw the award for water, though.

@oldfarmer50....good question about the talent pool in North America. I think foreign universities are more in tune with what Corporate America needs from recent grads than most schools in the U.S. do. In the U.S. it's more about the profs achieving tenure and research. Teaching just happens to be part of their jobs. Here, once tenure is reached, skating through the teaching part of their jobs (if they teach at all, or let their assistants shoulder that responsibility). In other countries it's more about readying their grads for a career outside of academia.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited July 2017
    Might have sold another car yesterday. A leftover '16 328i Sporrt. The clients husband asked her to look at a 330i xDrive but she liked the color combo on the 328i- Mineral White Metallic/Coral Red. Only hangup might be is that it's RWD, and we all know you need AWD or FWD for all driving conditions save table flat desert roads.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited July 2017
    qbrozen said:

houdini1 said:

...but I think I could get it certified after I buy it. This will be my 3rd LS and I have never had to use the warranty for anything.

Then why bother with certification?

Probably won't. Heck, I haven't even bought it yet.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ab348 said:

My neighbor across the street came over today wondering if I had a battery charger, because his new-to-him Subaru Outback wouldn't turn over. Looking at it upon arrival last month I thought it was new but it's actually a 2011. He said the battery showed 7 volts. I suggested that sounded like bad cells but offered my charger. He said that if it didn't work quick he would have to bicycle down to the nearby parts store with it and have it tested. I was heading that way anyway so offered to drive him and it there, which he was happy to accept.

They tested it and thought it was shot, so he bought a new battery and I took him home after I ran my errand. I was otherwise occupied for a while but emerged to see him instructing his wife trying to start it after he installed the new cell, with no luck. Still not even turning over. Poor devil might be looking at having it towed come Monday.

Sounds like he cured the symptom but not the disease.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    This might be last years...I tried to get the best possible angle. I think it looks best if you are lying down on the road;

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

One more:

driver100 said:

One more:

Thanks for the info Driver. I have no doubt that the '18 LS will be a better all around car, but it usually takes me a couple of years for most any new car to grow on me. The '16 that I am looking at has 2 1/2 years 38,000 miles remaining on the factory warranty. It can't be "certified" at this point because it is not being sold by a Lexus dealer, but I think I could get it certified after I buy it. This will be my 3rd LS and I have never had to use the warranty for anything.
    I understand Houdini. I liked the looks of my 2015 E400 compared to my new 2017 model. I like the squared off lines and the larger windows. But, the 2017 has so many improvements over the 15, that I would still take it over the older one....and you really do get used to it. I liked the 2015 styling more than the 2017s and asked about buying one......but, there weren't any left, and, since the insurance was paying for it I might as well take the newer more expensive model.

But, if you can get a 2017 at a price you like then go for it. You just might want to see what the pricing of the new one is before you proceed. If you were to trade in the 2017 next year it will probably be worth $10000 less than a 2018 model...maybe even more. Unlikely to happen, but, you never know.

Just making you question it....I would want to know the pricing of the 2018 before buying. It seems the interior of the new one, as nice as all Lexus interiors are, is even nicer than the 17.

carnaught said:

Wow, that '18 has quite an impresive interior, but never a fan of that touch-pad mouse. Wish they'd tone down that spindle Darth Vater grill. I've had two LS's in the past with not an iota of any problems.

I never think to use the touch pad mouse....I like good old buttons!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

driver100 said:

Wow, that '18 has quite an impresive interior, but never a fan of that touch-pad mouse. Wish they'd tone down that spindle Darth Vater grill. I've had two LS's in the past with not an iota of any problems.

I never think to use the touch pad mouse....I like good old buttons!

In the 740i, I have touch-screen on the main display; mouse-wheel on the console for the main display; and on top of the mouse-wheel, it is touch sensitive as well.  I prefer using the mouse-wheel because I don't like getting fingerprints on the main screen and I don't like stretching forward when driving for touch-screen entries.  And of course, voice recognition makes it even better to bring up different screens and to make entries.  Add Apple Car-Play to the above and just about everything is hands free.

Each to his/her own.  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @driver100....really good point. When I stopped by the Acura dealer, my salesman had (at the time) quite a few '17 TLXs. I actually test drove one (which is about the 3rd or 4th time I've driven either a '16 or '17) because he was knocking off $8K right off the bat. But, driving the '18, it felt so much more planted, handled better, had better materials inside, actually felt quicker (although it had the same power train as the '17) and with more equipment, I obviously went with the newer one. It was that different.

I think they remapped the transmission. It's quicker. And it feels substantially different than the '17.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Southern California is like that too.

@driver100....that water is bottled by the city and resold at establishments locally. Not sure how much they're actually marketing it in other locales. Not sure they're capable of producing enough outside of what they do for the local community, either. You and I had the same idea when I saw the award for water, though.

@oldfarmer50....good question about the talent pool in North America. I think foreign universities are more in tune with what Corporate America needs from recent grads than most schools in the U.S. do. In the U.S. it's more about the profs achieving tenure and research. Teaching just happens to be part of their jobs. Here, once tenure is reached, skating through the teaching part of their jobs (if they teach at all, or let their assistants shoulder that responsibility). In other countries it's more about readying their grads for a career outside of academia.

A very huge generalization about a very large group of people, many of whom are very dedicated and work for less money than they would get in the corporate world. University faculty often have to spend large amounts of time generating their own money writing grants for their salaries and labs. Are there lazy profs? Certainly. But I don't think it's the norm.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    ab348 said:

My neighbor across the street came over today wondering if I had a battery charger, because his new-to-him Subaru Outback wouldn't turn over. Looking at it upon arrival last month I thought it was new but it's actually a 2011. He said the battery showed 7 volts. I suggested that sounded like bad cells but offered my charger. He said that if it didn't work quick he would have to bicycle down to the nearby parts store with it and have it tested. I was heading that way anyway so offered to drive him and it there, which he was happy to accept.

They tested it and thought it was shot, so he bought a new battery and I took him home after I ran my errand. I was otherwise occupied for a while but emerged to see him instructing his wife trying to start it after he installed the new cell, with no luck. Still not even turning over. Poor devil might be looking at having it towed come Monday.

Maybe he put the battery in backwards.
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

It looks like the 2018 Lexus LS will be radically different. The front grill looks a little over the top, but, it will probably look nicer when you see it from the angle you actually view it at...not a picture that is taken too close too the ground making the grill look larger and taller than it is.

I dunno. I always felt that LS buyers were fairly conservative, and aside from the grille this car not only has all the swoopy design cues that are on many mass-market Japanese designs these days, but also appears lower and much sportier. Wonder if they will alienate their customer base, especially without a V-8?
    Forgive me but that is hidious!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    edited July 2017
    I suspect a big part of it is the cost of education. I have German and Swiss friends, the idea of education-related debt is alien to them. I suspect none of my Indian or Chinese co-workers worry about it either. Education is heavily subsidized there, it would be interesting if employers subsidized it here (on-the-job training is basically a thing only boomers and older can relate to).

Working in a related field, I'll also say there is a learning curve when qualified-on-paper people are imported to work here. There's a think outside the box (sorry for the middle management drone cliche) ability that doesn't seem to be valued in all places.

Craig...being employed by one of those tech companies, we're actually HQ'd in the Bay Area, there's a general belief that we go to other countries to hire our labor, or send jobs overseas, because labor is less expensive or we can pay them less.

That perception is not true. We do have to go to different countries to recruit, and often send some jobs overseas, not because it's less expensive, but because we try and can't fill those jobs with QUALIFIED people in the U.S. It's much less expensive to hire people locally rather than deal with work visas, remotely managing people overseas, relocating workers, etc, than it is to hire locally. It's just too difficult to find qualified people here.

Do any of you have this company in your city?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/etc/6209046078.html

Ever use it?

IDK, just somehow seems weird to let strangers turn your ride into a rental car.

Might be a good way to test drive a prospective purchase though.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited July 2017
    What irritates me just as much as the flamboyant grille is the rear door/C-pillar window detail. Soft pillar in the door and a window in the pillar. So pointlessly busy.

Heck, if the model loyalists are offended, this one might shore up resale of the final run of the old style (and it is indeed old, one of the oldest designs still in production in the world, dating back to MY 2007).
    ab348 said:

What gets me most about that mess is that it isn't even AWD. It's an overstyled faux-aggressive faux-adventure vehicle. The sheep around Seattle will eat it up, this will be the car that blindly changes lanes into you on 405.

But it's not on the c-hr which I saw previewed on MotorWeak yesterday.

Doug DeMauro often does road tests on exotic-type cars on YouTube by renting them from Turo.

I'm of two minds about this...yet another...form of the "shared economy". It is cast as a good thing but really there's an air of desperation about it--that people need to share their homes, cars and who knows what else in order to get by. I don't know about your parents, but mine never had to "take in lodgers" and rent out their cars.

ab348 said:

Maybe he put the battery in backwards.
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Forgive me but that is hidious!

Instead of reducing the impact of Lexus grilles over the past year or so, they have gone way over the top on the LS for 2018. Audi has been doing similar things with their grillework as well - large and overbearing on some of their cars. There is no doubt that the larger and wider the grillework is on a car, better engine ventilation results. But there is a point at which it diminishes the styling and smooth lines designers try to incorporate into their automobiles. When you have a grille like that, your eyes are drawn to the front of the car and they rest of the styling becomes camouflaged as a result.

But, as we always say, for every car there is a buyer. I hope that driver enjoys his grille. :o

2021 Genesis G90

Turo looks like a cool idea as a renter, as you might get a better deal for a nice car than from the commercial fleets. But as a rentee, I couldn't do it - I don't want strangers doing who knows what in my car :)
    edited July 2017
    I got a copy of the ordering guide for the 2018 Mercedes E Class Sedan.  There are several models - E300, E400, E43, E63.  The new addition is the E400 - they are bringing back the V6 3.0 Liter twin turbo engine with 329 hp as an E400.  Same engine they had in the 2015 E400.

I believe they made a big mistake putting only a 230 hp 4 cylinder in the 2017 E Class.  Just not enough torque in the upper rpm range.  They corrected that mistake for next year.  They are currently ordering those new 2018's.  that E63 should be a rocket!

2021 Genesis G90

It's like letting someone use your bathroom.

It's like letting someone use your bathroom.

But if someone messes your bathroom a little Lysol will make it right. From some of the horror stories I've heard it would be like if they tore the toilet off the floor.

As an aside, I saw a new Buick Lacrosse at the market this morning and that thing was HUGE! Must be on the same platform as the Impala. Very nice except for the high belt line that all cars have these days. Can't they make a car safe without turning them into caves?

I like the lines on the new Impala. I bet you could de-badge it and fool some people into thinking it was a mid-range Lexus-----from a side view, anyway.
    edited July 2017
    :@ :@ :@

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Yes, the Impala, Lacrosse and Cadillac XTS are all built on the same platform. Very large cars by current standards. I like how they look but they are just too big. They also sticker at fairly stiff prices but all are heavily discounted.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I've read that MB is going back to an I6 for the E as well, but I have no specifics.

One can easily build an E300 into the mid 70s without ticking every box, way too much for a 4cyl car.
    abacomike said:

I got a copy of the ordering guide for the 2018 Mercedes E Class Sedan.  There are several models - E300, E400, E43, E63.  The new addition is the E400 - they are bringing back the V6 3.0 Liter twin turbo engine with 329 hp as an E400.  Same engine they had in the 2015 E400.

I believe they made a big mistake putting only a 230 hp 4 cylinder in the 2017 E Class.  Just not enough torque in the upper rpm range.  They corrected that mistake for next year.  They are currently ordering those new 2018's.  that E63 should be a rocket!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I guess turo will let you set your own price. Just looked around me and see anywhere from $42 per day for a Camry up to nearly $300 per day for a vette. However, I see another vette for $174 and a new civic for $140.

Edit: Oh, just spotted a new high leader: $679 or a Model X.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

I guess turo will let you set your own price. Just looked around me and see anywhere from $42 per day for a Camry up to nearly $300 per day for a vette. However, I see another vette for $174 and a new civic for $140.

Edit: Oh, just spotted a new high leader: $679 or a Model X.

I wonder if that kind of use would show up on CarFax? Big difference between a Vette that was a weekend cruiser and one that was taken to the track for joy riding.

BTW, this is what I get when I hit the 'quote' button about 50% of the time.

https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

abacomike said:

I wouldn't call it bringing it back. As I predicted, they didn't introduce a 2017 E400 in the USA because they couldn't build enough of them for the market. My guess is my 2017 E400 will be the exact same as the 2018 model that is now being sold in the USA. My car didn't arrive in Canada until January and I ordered with the first allotment made.....there is no way they could have made enough E400s to sell into the USA until 2018s come out...which may be early.

Also, not a mistake to introduce 4 cylinder E300s as they did sell some, and they were running them off anyway for the European and other markets, where a 4 cylinder Mercedes is in great demand. Most reviewers thought the 4 cylinder cars did alright.

My E400 has the V6 329 horsepower engine......0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. The car can really move, I think the power is great......I would always go for more power, but, I don't need more....although I have used all 329 horses to get onto highways at times.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited July 2017

. Can't they make a car safe without turning them into caves?

No, apparently they can't. Either that or they don't want to.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I wouldn't call it bringing it back. As I predicted, they didn't introduce a 2017 E400 in the USA because they couldn't build enough of them for the market. My guess is my 2017 E400 will be the exact same as the 2018 model that is now being sold in the USA. My car didn't arrive in Canada until January and I ordered with the first allotment made.....there is no way they could have made enough E400s to sell into the USA until 2018s come out...which may be early.

Also, not a mistake to introduce 4 cylinder E300s as they did sell some, and they were running them off anyway for the European and other markets, where a 4 cylinder Mercedes is in great demand. Most reviewers thought the 4 cylinder cars did alright.

My E400 has the V6 329 horsepower engine......0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. The car can really move, I think the power is great......I would always go for more power, but, I don't need more....although I have used all 329 horses to get onto highways at times.
    C'mon man, do you really know how many HP you are using at any given time? Maybe your real luxo has a HP Meter but my wannabe does not. Please don't say you have a HP Meter because I'll be as jealous as hell. With all the displays a car has today how far off can an Instantaneous HP Meter be. I'd be all over that option.

Not too long after I got my '09 Genny there were plenty of guys who wanted to know how many HP it had. All I could tell them was what was in the manual (something like 376 HP with RUG and 8 more HP with premium). One young enthusiast who worked in the shop and tracked his cars, was really serious about how many HP my Genny had and wouldn't let up until I said, "if I can get them to stand still for a little while I'll be able to get a good count of them".

Sure would like to get in on the ground floor of a car that offered an Instantaneous HP Meter.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

edited July 2017
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

C'mon man, do you really know how many HP you are using at any given time? Maybe your real luxo has a HP Meter but my wannabe does not. Please don't say you have a HP Meter because I'll be as jealous as hell. With all the displays a car has today how far off can an Instantaneous HP Meter be. I'd be all over that option.

Not too long after I got my '09 Genny there were plenty of guys who wanted to know how many HP it had. All I could tell them was what was in the manual (something like 376 HP with RUG and 8 more HP with premium). One young enthusiast who worked in the shop and tracked his cars, was really serious about how many HP my Genny had and wouldn't let up until I said, "if I can get them to stand still for a little while I'll be able to get a good count of them".

Sure would like to get in on the ground floor of a car that offered an Instantaneous HP Meter.

jmonroe
    I like that idea of a horsepower meter......it could show little digital horses as you stomp down on the gas. Most days when I play tennis I have to get onto a highway from a fairly short on ramp, most times I can get ahead of any large trucks or cars speeding in the right lane.

I don't like to slow down and let the car in the driving lane go by, because then the cars on the ramp behind me will move out first and cut me off....seems to be the latest manouvre the young and the reckless like to try.

When I stomp it I just can't imagine needing more power...I would take it if I could get it, but I really don't need it. I guess 329 horsepower in Comfort is not the same as 329 horsepower in Sport. I use Sport if it is a really busy day. I think the twin turbos help too. Horsepower alone isn't everything, I think when using that power it is also good to have great handling and steering.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217

I like the lines on the new Impala. I bet you could de-badge it and fool some people into thinking it was a mid-range Lexus-----from a side view, anyway.

That would make a great commercial!!   :D
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Went to this morning's Cars and Coffee event at the local billionaire's Lexus dealer. Beautiful day, some beautiful cars; assorted Ferraris, a few Lambos, Porsches and Astons. Of course, the fun cars were the AMC AMX, the Pontiac Fiero, Mitsubishi Starion, Sunbeam Tiger and, of course, classic Vettes. Also, NSX old and new, Tesla S and X, Herb's personal McLaren F1, with assorted other McLarens. Mustangs new and old. In the showroom, an LC500 open for inspection (and, ultimately locked with a handwritten sign, "Please no food or drink inside this car!").

And, amongst all these beauties, cars of my youth, cars of my present and cars of my dreams, was one Jaguar. You know which one, the Jag that gave the marque it's reputation...an X-Type! I was so distraught that I had to have three donuts! And, I am diminished.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997

Went to this morning's Cars and Coffee event at the local billionaire's Lexus dealer. Beautiful day, some beautiful cars; assorted Ferraris, a few Lambos, Porsches and Astons. Of course, the fun cars were the AMC AMX, the Pontiac Fiero, Mitsubishi Starion, Sunbeam Tiger and, of course, classic Vettes. Also, NSX old and new, Tesla S and X, Herb's personal McLaren F1, with assorted other McLarens. Mustangs new and old. In the showroom, an LC500 open for inspection (and, ultimately locked with a handwritten sign, "Please no food or drink inside this car!").

And, amongst all these beauties, cars of my youth, cars of my present and cars of my dreams, was one Jaguar. You know which one, the Jag that gave the marque it's reputation...an X-Type! I was so distraught that I had to have three donuts! And, I am diminished.

Nice write up. The denver C&C was yesterday, and @breld, @jpp5862 and I missed it.

Perhaps next month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    jmonroe said:

jmonroe

Very old news; my 2014 2er has it- and the F30 3er before that...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

JM, my CLS400 did have a horsepower meter and a torque meter.  I had to pull up a special screen to view it, but they do exist.  LOL!   ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

WOW, I obviously never knew that existed. I've got to get out from under the rock that I have been under.

I hope @driver100 and I aren't the only ones in here that didn't know about this. Maybe we are the only ones willing to admit it.

C'mon guys, how many of you knew this other than @roadburner and @abacomike?

Anyway, thanks for educating me.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    jmonroe said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

WOW, I obviously never knew that existed. I've got to get out from under the rock that I have been under.

I hope @driver100 and I aren't the only ones in here that didn't know about this. Maybe we are the only ones willing to admit it.

jmonroe
    I'll admit I wasn't aware of this.

But, I drive a VW; I have to work hard to get the engine temp to display.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

Thanks RB and Mike I had no idea there was a gauge that shows horsepower being used. That is information I would actually like to see. With all the electronics and digital stuff they can do these days, there should be a nice way to display that. Then again, maybe there is a reason they don't want to do that!.

edited July 2017
    thebean said:

Mr_Shiftright said:

Mr_Shiftright said:

That would make a great commercial!!   :D

Ladies and gentleman, here is the new 2017 Chev Impala. We tried to make it look as much as we could like a much more expensive Lexus......that should really impress your neighbors!

Does anyone else have this problem?
    As the ads load on the right of the page, my page keeps bouncing up to the top, and I have to find where I was reading each time.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited July 2017
    Does this look and sound familiar?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited July 2017

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I was not aware.
    or, very likely, I read it in a review somewhere and just glazed over it as yet another of many many features these days that I don't give a hoot about. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I was reading the newspaper this morning and came upon a 1/8th page ad on page 6 of the main section with a picture of a man dressed in a suit, standing with arms folded. He looked to be in his late 40's.  The title of the ad was "Looking For Good Woman To Marry Between Age Of 39 To 70"

It goes on, "...I am 50 years old, seeking a nice lady between 39 to 70 with view to marriage.  Only serious persons, please email biography with recent photo to:..." and he lists his email address and phone number if the reader wants to text him.

Now this is a fairly large ad - one you could not miss.  It's from a large circulation newspaper published in Broward County and reaches the tri-county regions of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach.  The area code on his phone is from Miami-Dade, (305).

My take on the ad is that he is either a non-citizen looking for a way to citizenship or a guy looking to marry into money.  The guy is fairly good looking - wearing what looks like an expensive watch and cuff links.

This is surreal!  I've never seen an ad in the newspaper so large and so to-the-point on a topic like this.  I guess he prefers his own ad to the online sites like match.com.  This guy is for real - and I am dead serious about this.

SunSentinel.com probably shows the ad.  What's this world coming to?  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    This ad would work well in China where there are many leftover women of means and education. An unmarried woman passed age 30 in China is considered a leftover bride and her chances of marriage is almost zero. Besides, Chinese women like white-skinned men, especially those who speak English, so for this guy it would be like shooting for fish in barrel.

bwia said:

This ad would work well in China where there are many leftover women of means and education. An unmarried woman passed age 30 in China is considered a leftover bride and her chances of marriage is almost zero. Besides, Chinese women like white-skinned men, especially those who speak English, so for this guy it would be like shooting for fish in barrel.

I don't think he is interested in shooting fish, just marrying one!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

edited July 2017
    enewspaper.sun-sentinel.com 

The above will take you to the newspaper and then swipe to the left until you reach page 6.  The ad is in the top left corner of the page.

2021 Genesis G90

I wonder if this could end up as another "Florida Man" headline. The sun down there does something to people :)

The English in that short ad is kind of disjointed, yeah.

GM already tried that with a particularly cringy "Real People" Malibu ad, where one of the actors says the Malibu looks like a "BMW Tesla combination". The internet laughed and mocked hard.
    driver100 said:

Ladies and gentleman, here is the new 2017 Chev Impala. We tried to make it look as much as we could like a much more expensive Lexus......that should really impress your neighbors!