Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

enewspaper.sun-sentinel.com 

The above will take you to the newspaper and then swipe to the left until you reach page 6.  The ad is in the top left corner of the page.

39 to 70? I guess I'm profiling, but he's maybe of Russian descent? Thinking he's trying to find a way to stay in this country.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Probably many folks who buy Impalas are like my son -- decent but not great income -- very tall, so the Impala fits well, doesn't care about "driving dynamics" and just wants to get around in comfort. He bought a 2 year old one for half the price of a new one because they depreciate like rocks. He could care less about impressing people with what he drives. It replaced a '98 Le Sabre that he'd still be driving if it hadn't gradually fallen apart after 15 years. I'm not sure how big that demographic is but the Impala is one of the few affordable large cars.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited July 2017
    The above photo is from my car's display.  I found it after looking through the various options for instrument cluster.  JM, we both learned something today!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

suydam said:

Probably many folks who buy Impalas are like my son -- decent but not great income -- very tall, so the Impala fits well, doesn't care about "driving dynamics" and just wants to get around in comfort. He bought a 2 year old one for half the price of a new one because they depreciate like rocks. He could care less about impressing people with what he drives. It replaced a '98 Le Sabre that he'd still be driving if it hadn't gradually fallen apart after 15 years. I'm not sure how big that demographic is but the Impala is one of the few affordable large cars.

For the money, it's a great looking car and fits nicely into the car-buying budgets of a large segment of the US population.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited July 2017
    How do the horsepower and torque gauges collect their readings? Do they put a dynanometer into each vehicle?

As far as needing to know how many horsepower my Malibu or Cobalt are producing at any particular time, I probably could give all the horses names I'm implementing because the number is low enough 99% of the time.

I'm guessing that the gauges are based on the fuel and air settings the computer is using, so they are approximations. Do they adapt for use of regular, mid, or premium fuels?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    driver100 said:

Does anyone else have this problem?
    As the ads load on the right of the page, my page keeps bouncing up to the top, and I have to find where I was reading each time.

Yep. At least you aren't taken to VW reviews and TCO pages when you hit 'quote'.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited July 2017
    abacomike said:

suydam said:

For the money, it's a great looking car and fits nicely into the car-buying budgets of a large segment of the US population.

It's a fine car. Our friend's adult son had their Impala for some reason and he commented how it comes into its own at 100 mph. Likely on I75 between here and where he lives, and I have reason to believe he has a get out of jail card and it ain't from his Monopoly set.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    bwia said:

This ad would work well in China where there are many leftover women of means and education. An unmarried woman passed age 30 in China is considered a leftover bride and her chances of marriage is almost zero. Besides, Chinese women like white-skinned men, especially those who speak English, so for this guy it would be like shooting for fish in barrel.

I thought that because of China's draconian population control programs and Chinese preference for sons there was a shortage of available women.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

How do the horsepower and torque gauges collect their readings? Do they put a dynanometer into each vehicle?

As far as needing to know how many horsepower my Malibu or Cobalt are producing at any particular time, I probably could give all the horses names I'm implementing because the number is low enough 99% of the time.

I'm guessing that the gauges are based on the fuel and air settings the computer is using, so they are approximations. Do they adapt for use of regular, mid, or premium fuels?

From another site:

The factory Sport display is actually pretty accurate. The display reads 2 parameters from the ECU, that is torque and RPM and calculates the HP based on these numbers using a very simple formula. Since MEVD computers used on these cars are full torque based computers, they rely on proper internal torque readings to provide proper fueling. Since the torque model plays such high importance in the fueling calculations, one can see that this data has to be pretty accurate.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

driver100 said:

Does anyone else have this problem?
    As the ads load on the right of the page, my page keeps bouncing up to the top, and I have to find where I was reading each time.

Yep. At least you aren't taken to VW reviews and TCO pages when you hit 'quote'.

Sounds like someone has angered the Vanilla gods. The forum software is based on Vanillaforums, IIRC.

• Options
    abacomike said:

I don't have anything cool like that as far as I know. The Ford does have a G meter display. Today I took an unexpected 15mph turn at 40 and nearly learned the limits of my Perrelli all season tires.

I'll have to check the G meter and Tire Rack for some summer tires.

• Options

Have no idea.  Yes, worthless info!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    My guess is that guy in the newspaper ad is looking for a cougar to look after him. He says nothing about himself, and isn't asking for someone who is self-reliant for example.

The one child law has caused a huge shortage of women in China. I don't think he is looking for a Chinese woman, he just wants a sugar mama.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

abacomike said:

I don't have anything cool like that as far as I know. The Ford does have a G meter display. Today I took an unexpected 15mph turn at 40 and nearly learned the limits of my Perrelli all season tires.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I think the current gen of Impala and the Malibu are two of the best looking cars the General makes. They've both been out for a bit, but I still give them a 2nd look whenever I see one.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

I think the current gen of Impala and the Malibu are two of the best looking cars the General makes. They've both been out for a bit, but I still give them a 2nd look whenever I see one.

They are nice looking. Too bad they aren't RWD V8s...

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    I don't mind the Impala, but don't care for the angry-looking frowning face of the Malibu. And the Malibu is also a bit large for my liking.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

abacomike said:

40 MPH in a posted 15 MPH curve? Sounds like you should check your shorts before checking on tires.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

GM already tried that with a particularly cringy "Real People" Malibu ad, where one of the actors says the Malibu looks like a "BMW Tesla combination". The internet laughed and mocked hard.

driver100 said:

Ladies and gentleman, here is the new 2017 Chev Impala. We tried to make it look as much as we could like a much more expensive Lexus......that should really impress your neighbors!

Well all jokes aside you have to admit that GMs cars have upped their game in the styling department. Those people in the Chevy ad, whether real or not, are expressing the average citizen's inability to tell most modern cars apart.

Of course, once they sit inside a car, they might get a better sense of what the differences really are.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

The above photo is from my car's display.  I found it after looking through the various options for instrument cluster.  JM, we both learned something today!  :D

OK show off, I'm impressed. But, I'd be more impressed if the display was digital. What you are showing us is old tech stuff. Who wants to read between the numbers today and interpolate, huh? By the time a horseometer hits the common mans car it will be digital showing a herd of horses kicking up dust and a digital display above that. Something like the more horsepower being used the bigger the herd of horses in the display along with a larger number displayed AND if you are at or very near full HP all you'll see is dust, along with the digital number, of course. Good things come to those who wait.

Now that is what is called high tech, right? :p

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

40 MPH in a posted 15 MPH curve? Sounds like you should check your shorts before checking on tires.

jmonroe
    There are different ways to set curve advisory speeds, but basically the idea is to set the speed at a point where a vehicle travelling though the curve will not exceed 0.28 g of lateral acceleration. A modern minivan or pickup can corner at better than 0.7 g and most serious performance cars can corner at 0.9 g-1.0 g. I usually assume I can at least double an advisory speed when I'm in my 2er, but I usually subtract 5 mph from the advisory and then double it just to be safe.
    I also believe that anyone who takes a corner below the posted advisory speed and still rides their brakes through the corner should have their operators license permanently revoked due to rank incompetence.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    abacomike said:

I have it on my new one, too.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

fintail said:

GM already tried that with a particularly cringy "Real People" Malibu ad, where one of the actors says the Malibu looks like a "BMW Tesla combination". The internet laughed and mocked hard.

driver100 said:

Ladies and gentleman, here is the new 2017 Chev Impala. We tried to make it look as much as we could like a much more expensive Lexus......that should really impress your neighbors!

Well all jokes aside you have to admit that GMs cars have upped their game in the styling department. Those people in the Chevy ad, whether real or not, are expressing the average citizen's inability to tell most modern cars apart.

Of course, once they sit inside a car, they might get a better sense of what the differences really are.
    And, once they drive the car....they may really notice a difference!

• Options
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

OK show off, I'm impressed. But, I'd be more impressed if the display was digital. What you are showing us is old tech stuff. Who wants to read between the numbers today and interpolate, huh? By the time a horseometer hits the common mans car it will be digital showing a herd of horses kicking up dust and a digital display above that. Something like the more horsepower being used the bigger the herd of horses in the display along with a larger number displayed AND if you are at or very near full HP all you'll see is dust, along with the digital number, of course. Good things come to those who wait.

jmonroe
    I would like to see that too! A digital readout showing 400 horses running.

Apparently the C400 has that feature. If mine has it I haven't found it yet!

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A ponyometer? Equinometer?
  • Options

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    There are different ways to set curve advisory speeds, but basically the idea is to set the speed at a point where a vehicle travelling though the curve will not exceed 0.28 g of lateral acceleration. A modern minivan or pickup can corner at better than 0.7 g and most serious performance cars can corner at 0.9 g-1.0 g. I usually assume I can at least double an advisory speed when I'm in my 2er, but I usually subtract 5 mph from the advisory and then double it just to be safe.
    I also believe that anyone who takes a corner below the posted advisory speed and still rides their brakes through the corner should have their operators license permanently revoked due to rank incompetence.
    That seems to be a pretty good seat of the pants formula you use. So, that means our menacing, soon to be retired school bus driver, is breaking what you would take a 15 MPH curve at by a factor of two. He's pretty daring driving his Mustang. I wonder if he'd do that with his cherished hoopties. :o

About the drivers that just can't or won't go a little faster than the posted limit, even in a curve, are pretty bad drivers in my book and are dangerous too. We've all seen the drivers who are compelled to tap their brake as soon as the pointer is the least bit above the posted limit when the road ahead of them is open. Sending out false signals to the drivers behind you is a big cause of fender bender accidents. I get away from these people as fast as I can.

I'd rather them grow their train behind me while I am way ahead of them.

jmonroe

• Options

A ponyometer? Equinometer?

Yep, now you're talkin.

jmonroe

• Options

driver100 said:

jmonroe

You do have it driver.  Go into driving dynamics and select a few options - you'll find it in there.  My CLS400 had a display like that and that's where I found the gauges,

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    dino001 said:

fintail said:

Kind of reminds me how listed prices of an item on a shelf in Europe always include tax, but here, tax is a "gotcha" added at the register.

If minimum wage had kept up with CPI/inflation indices since the zenith of the middle class in ~1968, there might be more of a European style tipping culture. I think the 15-20% "rule" is something that has really became a rule in the past 30 or so years, as things have trickled down.

dino001 said:

I hate concept of tipping, as it is done in the US. I tip, because it's expected and because the so-called employer doesn't pay his people properly. I should not be the one to decide on compensation of the employee. When the restaurateur puts his menu out saying the meal is 20 dollars, he is essentially lying.

I feel like that percentage "rule" keeps creeping up. Now you see those payment terminals at restaurants or taxi cabs (or websites) to prompt you with a tip with a choice of a number, where 18 percent is a minimum number, going to 20, to 25. Moreover, the tip used to be based on value prior tax - no more. Now it's based on value with tax. I was recently turned off in Panera Bread - they now have a "would you like to leave a tip? Yes/No" button at their registers (that's before they even hand the food to you). I refuse to be morally blackmailed - consistently press no.
    A business asking you to tip the sales tax is morally reprehensible to me. They should know better than to calculate 15, 18, or 20% on the total amount which includes sales tax. Why would you tip a governmental charge? That charge has nothing to do with the meal. It is independent of what you purchase.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

abacomike said:

The above will take you to the newspaper and then swipe to the left until you reach page 6.  The ad is in the top left corner of the page.

39 to 70? I guess I'm profiling, but he's maybe of Russian descent? Thinking he's trying to find a way to stay in this country.
    For a while I was getting spam emails from Olga or some other Russian sounding name suggesting we meet for some "fun". Other than annoying my wife poor Olga never got any traction.

I suspect she is now selling late model cars for cheap on Craigslist.

• Options
    edited July 2017

abacomike said:

My thoughts exactly. Plus some sway bar upgrades and a nice exhaust system.

Now I'll have to go back to work to afford all that. Any lot boy job openings at your store?

• Options

abacomike said:

For a while I was getting spam emails from Olga or some other Russian sounding name suggesting we meet for some "fun". Other than annoying my wife poor Olga never got any traction.

If nothing else, Olga knows hot to get in touch with you. :p

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    Well yeah it was posted but I thought they were kidding. B)

• Options

abacomike said:

My thoughts exactly. Plus some sway bar upgrades and a nice exhaust system.

Now I'll have to go back to work to afford all that. Any lot boy job openings at your store?
    There was, actually- it was filled just a week or so ago...

• Options
    edited July 2017

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    You guys got me curious so I checked:

.91g

Not too bad for all seasons.

Makes me want to get me some Pilot Sports and try it again. :p

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    You guys got me curious so I checked:

.91G

Not too bad for all seasons.

Makes me want to get me some Pilot Sports and try it again. :p
    Careful, you'll end up like all those Mustangs on YouTube exiting the "Cars and Coffee" get togethers.

Almost as many of those as there are "Camry Dents"

@roadburner - I met a BMW genius on Saturday. She seemed to hold more of an introduction and handoff role. Does the job description differ based on knowledge and experience?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

Careful, you'll end up like all those Mustangs on YouTube exiting the "Cars and Coffee" get togethers.

@roadburner - I met a BMW genius on Saturday. She seemed to hold more of an introduction and handoff role. Does the job description differ based on knowledge and experience?

Speaking of "Camry Dents" I saw this in my parking garage this morning. :smile:

• Options
    Michaell said:

The job description from BMW is essentially that of a product specialist, but the individual dealer implementation is all over the place.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

Not the least bit worried about our Chrysler. Of course, we do have a lifetime B-to-B warranty. ;)

I think there were many Chrysler owners worried about their Chrysler warranties late in 2008 and early in 2009 before Bush and Obama forked over some big time cash to keep things going.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

You do have it driver.  Go into driving dynamics and select a few options - you'll find it in there.  My CLS400 had a display like that and that's where I found the gauges,

Thanks Mike....I will check it out.....a new toy!

• Options
    jpp5862 said:

Michaell said:

Speaking of "Camry Dents" I saw this in my parking garage this morning. :smile:

An "Accord Dent"!

Nice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

If nothing else, Olga knows hot to get in touch with you. :p

jmonroe
    I wonder if that is the same Olga who wants to meet me!

• Options

Michaell said:

The job description from BMW is essentially that of a product specialist, but the individual dealer implementation is all over the place.
    The young lady I encountered on Saturday was probably mid-20's. I was interested in sitting in a CPO 320i (link to the car is in CCBA), so she had to grab a salesman who could unlock the doors. Not real sure if she could tell me anything about the car that I didn't already know.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    sounds more like the greeter you get at most stores. Actually, Saturn had this function back when they first started. Someone that met you, showed you around, and got you to someone for a test drive or to write up an order.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

sounds more like the greeter you get at most stores. Actually, Saturn had this function back when they first started. Someone that met you, showed you around, and got you to someone for a test drive or to write up an order.

Funny, having bought 4 new Saturns over the years, I don't recall that ever happening.

I've encountered that at several different brands here in Denver. I'm ok with it, but with the whole "Genius" concept at BMW I was curious if what I experienced was consistent with other dealers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited July 2017
    said:

... don't care for the angry-looking frowning face of the Malibu.

I don't see the anger or frown. The fog lights have led running lights angling down above them.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like the styling of the Malibu, but I just don't care for the typical Chevy dash design.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    stickguy said:

I like the styling of the Malibu, but I just don't care for the typical Chevy dash design.

But the rear seat is like a limousine. I was testing rear seat again in the showroom that dealer was offering as a 7000 mile courtesy car with $6000 of list!!! Bright pearl red. LOL

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    edited July 2017

said:

... don't care for the angry-looking frowning face of the Malibu.

I don't see the anger or frown. The fog lights have led running lights angling down above them.
    Not a happy face:

The loaner I had also had a dismal all-black interior. A bit of contrast-toned material would have been nice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6