Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Want to purchase a newer vehicle. Looking for some advice on reliable cars I should be looking at.

KasandraKasandra Member Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in General
I currently own a Ford Focus '03, but am looking to purchase a newer vehicle as I am no longer able to drive it safely. There is a ton of problems that have come up the last time I got it inspected and it doesn't drive well. I can't bring myself to put more money into the car to fix it, as the amount of money it will cost to repair everything costs more than I spent to buy it. I was looking at newer Ford Focus' but I heard that they suck in terms of reliability, so I'm on the fence.

Now, this is where I'm hoping people can offer some advice. I'm looking to purchase a reliable car that will last me a while (6+ years) and won't cost too much in terms of maintenance. I live in Alberta, Canada, which means it needs to be good for winter (AWD or FWD). I don't know how to drive a manual, so automatic transmission is preferred.

I am a student, so most of my driving is to and from school/work. I need something affordable. I am likely going to have to take out a loan or finance, so I'm willing to spend no more than $15,000 (less the better). Looking for a few features that are in newer vehicles (e.g., bluetooth, remote start, back up camera), though back up camera isn't a huge priority.

If anyone can offer up some advice on what I should look at I would really appreciate it. Reliability, safety, and low maintenance costs are priorities.

Comments

• KasandraKasandra Member Posts: 2
    I would also like to ask the question, is it better to buy used or a brand new vehicle? I get that it's a loaded question, but I'm curious what everyone's opinions on this topic is.
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    best bet would be any Toyota! hope this helps
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    used is the best bet or leese!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might look at Subaru, but not too old or too many miles. People seem to love 'em.

As for new vs. used, I think the best of both worlds would be a used car that still has factory warranty. That way you don't take the depreciation hit of a new car but you still have some protection from mechanical failures.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I would look for a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav-4. Subarus are good too but you can buy a bad one if not careful.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Unfortunately, good Japanese brands like the above often aren't all that much cheaper than just buying a new one, unless it is old or miled up.
    That's true. Maybe a Hyundai? Unless things have changed these have poor resale values compared to Toyota or Honda and are pretty good cars now!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    With a $15,000 budget, you are likely limited to used vehicles.

As noted, Japanese brands will likely give you the best reliability, but to get a good one at that price may be difficult.

A brand you may not have thought of is Mitsubishi, if these are available in Canada. Not a lot of frills, but pretty reliable and available with AWD.

You may also consider something like the Chevrolet Trax - they have only been out a couple of years, but they may have depreciated to your budget level.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The only trouble with Mitsubishi is a VERY poor dealer network. Not bad cars but they are barely alive in the U.S.