Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New CR-V, cold weather, runs rich, gas in oil, multiple complaints

silvercliffsilvercliff Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Honda
Gas is mixing in the oil of our new 2017 Honda CR-V. The 1.5 liter engine does not warm up sufficiently in cold weather, runs rich, and leaves un-combusted gas in the oil. This triggers engine warning lights and requires frequent oil changes. Engine performance and drivability suffer. This problem is also being reported on social media by other Honda CR-V owners who drive in colder climates. We are concerned that it is causing long term damage to the engine of our new vehicle. I caution prospective buyers to postpone the purchase of a 2017 or newer Honda CR-V with the 1.5 liter engine until Honda solves to this problem. The fifth generation CR-V is an excellent car in many respects, but this is a major problem. I cannot recommend the car, particularly to those who drive in colder climates, until a fix is found.

Reuters reported in February that Honda has announced a recall of 350,000 CR-V's in China for what appears to be a similar issue.

We've driven our car for about six months, and it has less than 2,000 miles on it. We typically use the car for short drives within the city. When using the car we would occasionally notice a fuel odor around the exterior of the vehicle and sometimes inside. One day, in November, while driving the car, most of the warning lights on the dashboard lit up. We took the car to the dealer, where it remained for over two weeks as they worked to determine a cause and fix. A field rep from Honda was sent out to the dealer to try to assist. Sensors and fuel injectors were replaced. The oil and filter was changed. At this time our engine had less than 1100 miles on it.

These repairs did not correct the problem. In mid-January the engine warning lights were triggered again. Our dealer noted the smell of gas in our oil and once again changed the oil and filter. We had less than 1500 miles on the car for this service.

I again noticed fuel odors driving the vehicle this week, and plan to take it to the dealer again to see if another oil and filter change is required. We've driven the car about 300 miles since the last oil change.

Honda does not appear to have a solution to this problem. The oil and filter changes are a bandaid, and long term damage may be occurring to our engine. I have contacted Honda customer service to express our concern. They suggested that we continue to monitor their website for future recall or service bulletins. They did not provide us with a case number for our complaint going forward.

Honda may have a major problem on its hands with the 1.5 liter engine. Know this before you buy.

Comments

• billosterbilloster Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    I am experiencing this problem as well. My 2017 CR-V 1.5L has just over 12000k on it and there was lots of gas in the oil. Dealer put me into a rental and still has it in the shop. I filed a case with Honda Canada so we’ll see what happens now.... I’m told by the dealer that it could be a while. There is damage to my engine as a result and they are replacing the cylinder head but I’m sure if I drive the vehicle after this, it’s going to keep happening. Honda needs to address this issue quickly and offer extended engine warranties to all affected. 
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Thank you for both of you posting this. CRV was on my short list as it drove very well and has a lot of luxury features but now it is off my list. Here is a link to the CRV owners club where I did additional research. I was also kicking around a 2018 Accord but it too has the 1.5L Turbo engine. Usually Honda is very adept at resolving issues but this one seems pretty complex and Honda seems to suffer from increasing engineering problems the last few years.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/170193-potential-major-issue-2017-cr-v-gasoline-gets-into-engine-oil-tank-2.html

• makmak63makmak63 Member Posts: 4
    Gas is also mixing in the oil of my 2017 CRV with 1.5 Turbo. I purchased vehicle March 2017 without much fanfare. I live in MN so the weather starts getting chilly in October. First problem was in November, very strong fuel/rotten egg smell from exhaust after shutdown. This went on approximately two weeks depending how cold it was. My MPG was only 19-20, however, my work is only a couple miles each way. The first hard fail was about 500 miles after initial gas smell. Travelling at 40 MPH when it started sputtering white exhaust and losing power. I barely limped home and called roadside assist.
    Dealer had vehicle a few days. They changed oil and explained the oil/gas mixture in crankcase. They could not duplicate problem. I picked up and drove as normal. Same circumstances late December 2017. This time, in addition to oil change, they changed fuel injectors and an exhaust sensor after having the vehicle 6-7 days.
    I thought for sure this was the final fix. Early February I encountered similar smells/problems and called roadside assist for third time because of exhaust error showing up on vehicle dashboard. Dealer kept overnight, this time the dealer GM called me and explained what his tech rep was telling him. He even suggested changing my driving habits to help engine further warm up. This seemed to show they have NO real fix. He even said they might have to buy the vehicle back. Well, here it is March and I'm hearing louder exhaust noises especially backing into my garage? I think it comes and goes with colder weather. Sometimes in MN we get up into the 40's, then return to the teens overnight. I think it's close to failing again. Will I be calling roadside assist again?
    I've owned 4 other Honda's so I really like the brand and quality but I'm losing interest and need to move on. Frankly, I hope it fails again so they might buy it back? Thank god it's a lease. Will update soon.
    Poor city MPG. I own the 2017 Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo. I only have 3800 miles so far. My work is only a couple miles each way. The MPG is only registering 19. Is there any other owners with low MPG? I previously drove a 2010 Accord with the 2.4 liter and averaged 24 MPG city driving. Honda touted 25-26 MPG with the 1.5 Turbo. I know the vehicle weight and or the CVT tranny might be coming into play here? What is going on with Honda Motors? I think the quality has taken a nose dive. Even Consumer Reports has reported them to be slipping in reliability. I have also been reading the newly redesigned Accord is selling poorly. Is this because of the new engines? Please comment if there is anyone else with similar issues, thanks.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    At least in the old days, Honda engines were very tight. So it really took 10-15K before you knew the real typical mileage. Don't know if that is true today. Of course, if your car is mixing gas elsewhere...
  • 2017crvtouring2017crvtouring Member Posts: 5
    The problem with gas in oil is not restricted to northern climes. I live in southern Missouri and am experiencing the same issue with gas in the oil. Because of this issue I am changing my oil about every 3,000 miles in the cooler months to keep damage at bay. A recent trip to my local Honda dealer to discuss the issue was unproductive as they have yet to experience the problem (or admit they have). I have maintained samples of the drained oil for future discussions. My dealer's service department is unaware of a "fix" and was even unaware of the sales hold in China for 1.5 turbo engines. I have researched the techinfo.com/Honda to see if there is anything in the service bulletins suggesting a repair. There is none as of 3/26/2018. I have owned every generation of the CRV and enjoy the 2017. However, I am very disappointed with this issue and Honda's seemingly reluctance to address the issue and effect a fix. I plan to "bug" my local dealer for a few weeks then call Customer Service at Honda to register a complaint. I do understand that gas in oil is somewhat common with direct injection engines but in this instance the amount of gas in the oil is totally unacceptable. Come on Honda fix this!!!!
    I just made a formal complaint to Honda. I'll see if, and when, they have a hard fix to this problem? More updates to follow.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

The problem with gas in oil is not restricted to northern climes. I live in southern Missouri and am experiencing the same issue with gas in the oil. Because of this issue I am changing my oil about every 3,000 miles in the cooler months to keep damage at bay. A recent trip to my local Honda dealer to discuss the issue was unproductive as they have yet to experience the problem (or admit they have). I have maintained samples of the drained oil for future discussions. My dealer's service department is unaware of a "fix" and was even unaware of the sales hold in China for 1.5 turbo engines. I have researched the techinfo.com/Honda to see if there is anything in the service bulletins suggesting a repair. There is none as of 3/26/2018. I have owned every generation of the CRV and enjoy the 2017. However, I am very disappointed with this issue and Honda's seemingly reluctance to address the issue and effect a fix. I plan to "bug" my local dealer for a few weeks then call Customer Service at Honda to register a complaint. I do understand that gas in oil is somewhat common with direct injection engines but in this instance the amount of gas in the oil is totally unacceptable. Come on Honda fix this!!!!

How were you able to determine that there was fuel in the oil?
    A number of ways in no particular order. The measured level on the dip stick is well above the full line despite be correct at the last oil change. There is no other fluid loss in the CRV to explain the increased level in the oil pan. I use Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic oil in both my CRV and HRV. After 3,700 miles on the CRV oil is black and very thin whilst the HRV after 4,000 miles is still relatively clean and seems similar to new oil. Both use 0W20 Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic oil. Remove the oil cap from both and the HRV smells like Synthetic oil while the CRV smells like a gas can. A sample of the oil submitted for testing determines that the oil is diluted with gas. Granted that some evidence may be subjective but you can't escape the smell of gas or the analysis of the oil. There is additional circumstantial observations to indicate the potential for raw fuel to enter the oil pan. The 2017 CRV is COLD blooded! It takes an inordinate amount of time and miles to register temperature on the temperature gauge. One would expect a richer fuel mixture during the warmup period. One would expect some unburned fuel ending up in the oil. All that said you merely have to wonder why the level in the oil pan increases over time and why when you open the oil cap on the valve cover you are greeted with the same smell as a gas can. I have spoken to my local Honda dealer. They are aware of the complaints but are unaware of a fix. I have opened a case with Honda Customer Care. My conversation with HCC confirmed that they are aware of the issue but at this time are unaware of a "fix". They informed me that a "technical" representative would be contacting me to discuss the issue in greater detail. I await their call.
  • matthismatthis Member Posts: 1
    I live in northern NY & my 2017 CR-V has fuel in the oil & overfilled oil level. First noticed the smell & overfilled oil level this winter, after a cold snap in early January 2018. Had oil changed which confirmed gas in the oil. Tech first said they had no idea why the level was overfilled. Did some research, found out about the China cold weather recall for this, showed it to the service dept which eventually said they "discovered" it's a common 2017 CR-V problem! Yeah sure they didn't know before. They recommended more frequent oil changes until they figure out the issue?!! Nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this, I posted my complaint on CarComplaints.com here with all the others: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/2017/engine/high_oil_level_with_gas_in_oil.shtml
    If you are showing a marked increase in the oil dip stick level, and you're certain it is fuel, you really should NOT be driving this vehicle at all. There are two consequences to a condition like that, and neither one is good.

One, obviously, is that the fuel acts as a solvent to wipe the cylinder walls clean of oil.

Two, the remote possibility of the oil pan blowing up.
    Honda seems to have lost its way a bit mechanically over the past few years. Wonder if they turned the company over to some Ivy League MBA's??? Toyota made that mistake in the mid 2000's, but once it surfaced they replaced the leadership with Toyoda people.
    Response to Mr_Shiftright. You are correct regarding oil dilution in general. However, fuel blow by on Direct Injection engines is somewhat common and there is documentation that suggests both oil manufactures and engine builders have included this issue in their products such that damage is negated. However, what is occurring with the 1.5 liter engine may far exceed the design specifications of both the oil and engine manufacturer. Until Honda finds and implements a solution I will monitor oil level carefully, change oil frequently, adjust my driving habits to be sure the car is thoroughly warmed up and save my receipts for future action. Based on what I have seen and heard to date, I am sure Honda is abundantly aware of the issue and will find a fix. They clearly have a great deal of potential expensive exposure. I would think they would want to mitigate their exposure as soon as possible
    Well if you in fact do have a marked increase in level on your dip stick, I assure you that no amount of engineering is going to compensate for an extra quart of gasoline in your crankcase!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    When there is fuel getting into the oil on a GDI engine the prime suspect is the high pressure fuel pump. If it has a leak, it will put fuel into the oil. While "Honda" should know about this possibility their techs might not. GDI is still quite new to them and this just might be the only issue each one of them has seen so far with these engines. Manufacturers that have had GDI a lot longer have all dealt with the occasional failed high pressure pump.

Excess fuel in a cylinder will usually have a corresponding drivability symptom which I have not seen mentioned in the descriptions. That doesn't rule it out, but it does make it less likely.

One other possible cause that has to be considered is whether or not the engines are being run for a sufficient amount of time to vaporize any fuel condensation that is getting into the oil. Short trips that don't get the oil to full temperature don't allow fuel that does get into the oil to evaporate and be removed by the PCV system. Getting proper PCV flow has been an issue for some manufacturers under specific conditions and that has on occasion allowed for an accumulation of fuel in the oil on some engines.
  • 2018crvowner2018crvowner Member Posts: 1
    MrShiftright....I agree we have a problem that Honda doesnt seem to be working on..IE no updates anywhere,,,but here in Canada we dont have many option......Dealer wont give us a loaner....rental is out of the ? as I am retired and money is tight....so we have no choice but to drive our CRV.....and the changing of the oil often would be nice,,,but its a big added cost we didnt plan for when we bought this thing......only thing I found is to take a very long HWY drive every week and get the engine at temp for a hour or 2 and its seems to keep the oil at the full or little over......but at 136 a liter of gas doesnt go very far
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    There is a recall in China about this issue
    https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKBN1FW124-OCABS

And just the other day at a shop owned by a friend, someone had brought in a CR-V for an oil change and the oil was more like the consistency of coffee and just gushed out. The owner doesn't make anything but short trips and the engine never really gets up to operating temperature very often.

MrShiftright....I agree we have a problem that Honda doesnt seem to be working on..IE no updates anywhere,,,but here in Canada we dont have many option......Dealer wont give us a loaner....rental is out of the ? as I am retired and money is tight....so we have no choice but to drive our CRV.....and the changing of the oil often would be nice,,,but its a big added cost we didnt plan for when we bought this thing......only thing I found is to take a very long HWY drive every week and get the engine at temp for a hour or 2 and its seems to keep the oil at the full or little over......but at 136 a liter of gas doesnt go very far

Yes, I understand your predicament and it's a difficult one. My point, though, is that although I can't examine the car from way over here, if in fact you are registering say 1 quart above the full mark on your engine oil, and you can smell fuel on the dipstick, you must stop driving the car.

A small amount of fuel dilution, which might not even be detectable on the dip stick, should burn off once you have the vehicle to operating temperature.

But if there's lots of fuel in the crankcase, that engine is going to self-destruct.
  • chuckrt18chuckrt18 Member Posts: 1
    FYI found this in another Honda
    forum still trying to do more research...food for thought
    Interesting that they authorize an oil and filter change to "eliminate" the "symptoms". What about the cause?
    Have had three calls with Honda Care regarding gas in oil. The last call being 04/10. Gist of the call is that they are aware of the issue, complaints and negative comments. At this point a solution is not at hand. The representative urged me to watch oil level and address any negative changes to local Honda dealer. Has anyone heard of an update to the China issue? Is there a resolution?

Interesting that they authorize an oil and filter change to "eliminate" the "symptoms". What about the cause?

Well sure. Drain the oil that has gas in it and you WON'T have oil with gas in it in the crankcase... at least for a while:)

At my buddy's shop, they described what they drained as being "like coffee" and said it gushed out like there was 10 quarts. This feels like it's a little beyond a software update.
    As I mentioned above,  the number one suspect on a GDI engine when fuel is getting into the oil is the high pressure fuel pump. If you have a pump with even a tiny leak and combine that with limited driving, ending up with fuel dilution of the engine oil isn't a surprise at all.  

Have someone connect a scan tool to the PCM and monitor the fuel rail pressure igniton on, engine off. The fuel rail should hold pressure for at least an hour or two. In fact if the engine is hot when they start to watch the pressure it will usually rise. If there is any leak at all with the injectors, the rail pressure will drop rapidly at key off. 

One of the other symptoms that I was watching for but was not mentioned would be a misfire when the engine is warm, shut off for just a few minutes and then restarted.  A leaking injector would make the cylinder that it is in too rich to fire. But the misfire would only occur until the cylinder cleared itself of excess fuel. The bottom line is if it cannot be proven that the fuel is coming from the injectors,  then by default the high pressure pump becomes the most likely suspect. 
    The Mazda RX-8 had a big problem with that. Rapid warm engine starts were a bad problem with that car.
    edited April 2018

The Mazda RX-8 had a big problem with that. Rapid warm engine starts were a bad problem with that car.

Those things used to come in flooded during the winter and it would quite often take five to ten minutes of cranking with the injectors disabled to clear the fuel enough to get combustion. Used to laugh at the windshield washer injection system on the RX-7s that was supposed to de-ice the apex seals during very cold starts. Mazda had a TSB to disable that system.
  • silvercliffsilvercliff Member Posts: 3
    I made the original post that started this conversation. I really appreciate the comments folks have made here - it's helpful to get your feedback and suggestions. I've used Edmunds a lot over the years to research cars, and have learned a lot from the forums. I think it's important to let others know when you find yourself with a problem of this nature. As they say, "sunshine is the best disinfectant."

Since the original post our CR-V has required yet another oil change. By early March fuel and exhaust smells again became more frequent when we drove the car. I took it to our dealer on March 8th. The oil reading was 1 1/2 inches above full, and smelled strongly of fuel. I asked our dealer to document the reading on the service invoice.

We had only put 450 miles on the car since the oil was last changed in mid-January. To summarize, that's three oil and filter changes in less than 2000 miles, along with replaced sensors and fuel injectors.

As I noted in the original post, we typically drive the car for short distances around town. It's been a cold winter in Minnesota, and on some drives the engine temperature never increases above the lowest level.

I called Honda customer service this week to check the status of our original complaint. We had not heard back from them in over a month. I learned that Honda had documented the file incorrectly, and was under the impression that the oil changes were required in the range of 10,000 to 20,000 miles, not the 1,000 to 2,000 miles that we have experienced.

We are very frustrated with the lack of follow up from Honda regarding this problem. This is not acceptable performance from a 7 1/2 month old car. Honda corporate first needs to acknowledge they have a problem, something they have been unwilling to do in my conversations with them. (Our dealer, on the other hand, has been helpful and proactive. I suspect they are as frustrated as we are.)

Carcomplaints.com posted an article this week about numerous complaints related to gas in oil in the CR-V. Here's the link:
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-cr-v-oil-levels-increasing-unburned-fuel.shtml

This is our fourth Honda. I'm rapidly losing trust in the company.
    Have you investigated your state's Lemon Laws?
  • silvercliffsilvercliff Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering it. The Minnesota Lemon Law requires "four unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect" before you can begin the process. So we're not quite there yet. Perhaps the next cold wave? At this stage, with no solution in sight, I would like to get rid of the car if we could.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586

I'm considering it. The Minnesota Lemon Law requires "four unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect" before you can begin the process. So we're not quite there yet. Perhaps the next cold wave? At this stage, with no solution in sight, I would like to get rid of the car if we could.

Seems weird that the dealership would let you drive back out of the dealership in a car that is obviously malfunctioning. Especially, since it could eventually cause catastrophic engine damage, and it's under warranty. Seems they don't want to take responsibility for the product they sell. (just my $0.02)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I put out a report to other techs around the world to see if they have any perspective on this issue. So far the only responses are that they will have their lube techs monitor the oil levels when vehicles come in more closely as well as to check for a fuel odor. Consider that there might be more awareness of the condition if real techs were also doing the essential maintenance services instead of entry level, barely supervised lube techs.
    Heck, the last time I brought my Honda into the dealer they even screwed up installing a wiper blade. So I wouldn't count on getting much help and feedback from the dealers (until these issues start impacting their sales volume that is). Probably just coincidence, but I've used maybe 6 different Honda service departments over the years and never found one I cared for or trusted. Always pushing extra stuff to push up their commissions. I've been happy with the vehicles though and not run into any high pressure sales nonsense when buying. Maybe hitting 2 out of 3 isn't bad these days.
    berri said:

Heck, the last time I brought my Honda into the dealer they even screwed up installing a wiper blade.

On one hand it serves them right for putting inexperienced people into the quick service lanes and showing them how to do some things and just letting them learn on the job from there. Even if your car was in for other services that require the line technicians to perform the work, they would have to pay that tech to install the wiper blades and that would have a cost associated to it. So they take that part of the service and have the entry level people do it. The sad part is for the entire service department taking the hit for whatever went wrong because the end result serves to make the career less and less desirable for the kind of talented individuals you need them to have.

Happy Days$#$%!%! . Multiple visits to my Honda dealer to whine about the gas in oil. Open case with Honda Care. Decided to get rid of my 2017 CRV Touring. Found a CUV I liked from another dealer. Dealer was overjoyed to sell me a new car. When I told him my trade was the CRV he rapidly lost interest. Seems he is aware of the gas in oil issue and doesn't want to get in the middle of this mess!. Thanks Honda for my $34,000 boat anchor.
    Well, after another few hundred miles another trip to the dealer for an oil change. I was checking the dipstick the last few weeks and noticed it was about 3-4 mm above fill line. Once I arrived at the dealership, the service manager told me there still was no fix for this problem. So tired of listening to this crap I just want to puke. This is roughly the 8th or 9th oil change in 14 months. With the millions upon millions Honda makes you'd think an engineer could produce a result? I have already registered my complaint with Honda, time to report this to the Minnesota Attorney General. Not sure where this may take me but will continue until there is a solution other than changing oil every few hundred miles. It's warm weather now, I am dreading the cooler temperatures and many trips to the dealer. Looking for a solution here in MN.
    My local repair guy says he has heard that it's a software fix, but I'm taking that as "heard it through the grapevine" and there's nothing official yet.

Saw this article
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-cr-v-oil-levels-increasing-unburned-fuel.shtml

Honda CR-V Oil Levels Increasing Due To Unburned Fuel
    April 12, 2018 — Reports of Honda CR-V rising oil levels are being monitored by Honda officials in the U.S. after Chinese officials rejected Honda's plans to recall 350,000 CR-Vs and Civics in that country.

So the Chinese recall isn't happening.

Honda told CR-V owners in China that until recall repairs were complete, owners should limit idling periods, use block heaters on the SUVs and drive the vehicles in lower gears at the beginning of trips to warm the engines faster. The automaker said longer trips at higher engine revolutions would help the excess fuel and vapors to properly evaporate.

This sure seems like a real issue to me

• cuban1cuban1 Member Posts: 22
    Glad to see these forums are available to consumers. I was ready to get the 2018 CR-V but now I will not be purchasing. It's a beautiful vehicle in my opinion but I don't want a lemon on my hands. Looks like I'll wait for the newly redesigned 2019 Rav4. Good luck to all Honda CR'V's owners.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    Might be taking this off my list now. Wonder if the same issue is impacting the 2.0t motor they will be using in the new design RDX?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jvega08jvega08 Member Posts: 10
    PF_Flyer said:

My local repair guy says he has heard that it's a software fix, but I'm taking that as "heard it through the grapevine" and there's nothing official yet.

Saw this article

Honda CR-V Oil Levels Increasing Due To Unburned Fuel
    April 12, 2018 — Reports of Honda CR-V rising oil levels are being monitored by Honda officials in the U.S. after Chinese officials rejected Honda's plans to recall 350,000 CR-Vs and Civics in that country.

So the Chinese recall isn't happening.

Honda told CR-V owners in China that until recall repairs were complete, owners should limit idling periods, use block heaters on the SUVs and drive the vehicles in lower gears at the beginning of trips to warm the engines faster. The automaker said longer trips at higher engine revolutions would help the excess fuel and vapors to properly evaporate.

This sure seems like a real issue to me

I like to know what is the "official" fix for USA CRV.
    Consumers should just stop buying them. That might motivate Honda to do something.
  • shelbymd8shelbymd8 Member Posts: 5
    I live in MD and this issue has happened 3 times since April 9. However, it wasn’t cold, more like cool and warm temps; 40 degrees 1st time, 60+ 2nd & 3rd times. All about 2 weeks apart - this is getting old and a huge inconvenience coming in this frequently. Damn band-aid fix. So dissapointed! Purchased new is August 2017
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    My advice: Lemon Law

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2018
    shelbymd8 said:

I live in MD and this issue has happened 3 times since April 9. However, it wasn’t cold,

How far/long do you drive the car when you use it. (average trip VS ????)

So far the occurance is every 1000-1200 miles. Is that what you are asking?
    How far do you drive the car each time you use it?

I.E. One or two miles to a destination and then back home? Five miles? Ten?
    edited May 2018
    Oh / I drive minimum 100 miles a day. Work commute is 50 miles each way.  However now that you mention it these issues occurred over a weekend in which I do in fact travel shorter trips -  weekend errands; grocery store, trash transfer station; visiting friends —  Friday it did happen after I traveled a short distance. I’ve gotten home from work Friday, then ran out to the  store and returned home. A few hours later I went  to go back out again.  I started my vehicle and that’s when my dash lit up with all the error messages cycling through on my display. . Brake light flashes and all the lights on left side of instrument panel are on
    Do you feel the short distance trips over a period of time is the culprit of the issue occurring?  For me it has happened within 2 weeks apart or just over.  
    edited May 2018
    The concern being addressed in this thread is about the engine oil getting diluted with fuel in very cold temperatures, which is aggravated by the regular use of the vehicle as being extremely short trips. Your commute is considerably longer, that should easily get the engine oil hot enough for any fuel getting into the oil to evaporate and be picked up by the PCV system. Vehicles experiencing this problem are seeing the engine oil level end up as much as an inch over the full mark on the dipstick.

Is your oil level rising and contaminated with fuel? With a longer trip an internal leak such as the high pressure pump must be considered. Someone with a capable scan tool should be able to monitor the fuel rail and supply side pressure after the car has been driven and the engine shut down. The system should hold pressure for several hours, and in fact increase at first because of engine heat. If you have a leak they will see the pressure drop quickly after the engine has been turned off.

So in that scenario how does fuel get into the engine--over-pressurization that overpowers the injectors? Or just one faulty injector?
    edited May 2018
    According to the dealership gasoline is getting into my oil. Their only remedy per Honda is to change the oil and reset the codes. The service dept. does exactly that and sends me on my way. 

I was told Honda is aware of the issue but does not have a fix at this time. Per dealership, I am the only customer they have with this problem- thus far.  If this is going to occur every 2-3 weeks...I will not be a happy camper. It’s already been an incovience twice as I had to miss time at work to go to the dealership. 
    edited May 2018
    When the engine is running, excessive fuel from a leaking injector would result in a misfire, fouled sparkplug. If the high pressure pump (rail) is leaking that could put fuel into the oil because the pump is driven by the camshaft.

It is possible to have an injector with a very slight leak. This would show up as dropping fuel rail pressure at shut-down and there would be a specific cylinder misfire right after a hot restart, because that cylinder would be flooded. Since we don't have that description that pretty much rules out an injector. The high pressure fuel pump if it had a slight leak would have the supply side fuel pressure dropping since the exhaust check valve should have the fuel rail sealed.

That's the "Cliff Notes" version. GDI is as different from PFI (port fuel injection), as PFI was from carburetors.
    As far as the fuel pressure forcing the injectors open, the fuel pressure actually forces the injectors closed along with the return spring. That's why it takes about 65v to command them to open.