Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

jpp5862 said:

I love that Frank Lloyd Wright house, but even with @tjc78's clue I couldn't tell you what it's associated with.

It's the house from the TV show "Married … with Children"
    Ah I mistook the clue thinking the Frank Sinatra reference went with the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I get it now. :D
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Where is the MWC house? Looks very middle class Chicago suburbs. Maybe Schaumburg?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    MWC house is in Deerfield, in a pretty nice looking neighborhood. Al did well for himself B)
    Yeah, I've never thought of looking in my mirror and checking right when making a right turn from the right lane. Never stop learning! B)

You may be right on that, there was no chance to brace before impact - that and the mass of the car I was driving probably kept things from being worse. Still no especially noticeable pain, so maybe I got lucky.
    xwesx said:

Darn it, Fin.... another thread to follow?! :(

That's quite a mishap, though. Perhaps good, perhaps bad.... those sorts of crashes tend to be the most surprising simply because they are so unexpected and "out of nowhere". I mean, you might be wary of crossing or turning traffic on a right like that, but being hit from behind on the right? Where did THAT come from?! /sigh

By "perhaps good," I mean that often people are less prone to injury when they don't see a crash imminent and, therefore, do not have a chance to involuntarily tense up before the impact.

Filming location for today may be tough, as it has changed a lot in the nearly 40 years since it was filmed:

Also saw general Chicago sights:

And maybe the inspiration for this:

Is this:

Deerfield - Bundy couldn't afford that. If he bought it with a windfall he couldn't afford the taxes to keep it. Decent area up there though.
    The north shore is a pretty area indeed, I can see why John Hughes used it for filming. Very few neighborhoods like that in the PNW, as it isn't as old, and there are less brick or stone houses.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    fintail said:

And maybe the inspiration for this:

I don't know, but that's art that even us bean counters can appreciate. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I have no idea on the bridge, but I really like the look of it!

For some reason, it makes me think of McConnell's Mill in Pennsylvania. Beautiful spot if any of you ever get the chance to go by that area of I-79.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    The bridge is from the Blues Brothers - where the [non-permissible content removed] rally was held and Jake and Elwood got them all to jump in the water.

Fin, any pix from the Hughes' movies? Shermer HS, per chance?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Yep, the "I hate Illinois [non-permissible content removed]" bridge, a scene forever stuck in my head. Many other locations for the movie are now gone.

The high school in Sixteen Candles and I think some others is now also gone. I think the Ferris Bueller school is now heavily modified - I saw it, but couldn't find the location. I didn't make it to the Breakfast Club school, but it appears fairly intact on google maps. It's not too far from me, might stop by on my way out tomorrow.
    Some scenes from today. Went up to the top of Willis (Sears) Tower. Of course it was foggy and snowing the morning I plan to do this:

Everyone should recognize this fountain from a couple shows. One of the buildings in the background is also featured in a period movie. Notice the weather cleared out nicely by late afternoon. Very cold, though:

I also realized the L stop I planned to use on my way back was featured in a movie - the same side I was on was used in the movie, so I can't get a perfect angle, but it is a memorable scene:

Nice balmy day in northern Indiana:

And by popular demand, Shermer High School (it was about 20F when I was there):

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    @fintail - thanks for the pix

I should know the L stop, but I don't. Any hints?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Some hints will be too easy, but I visited another location from the same movie, so that's the hint:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I'm enjoying the pictures and the travel notes a lot. Please keep them coming, Fintail!

Are you hitting Ohio in your travels?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Glad you like them, imid. I am headed to Cleveland tomorrow, kind of using an extra day in the trip to go somewhere I've never been, and see yet another filming location. On Monday, I am headed to Detroit.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I was only on the ground in Detroit a couple of times in the mid-80s. It was a bit of an intimidating experience then. From a few shows I’ve seen about current-day Detroit it might be less intimidating but rather depressing.

I have connected a few times over the last decade or so at Metro airport and that was fine but of course that is a controlled environment.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I'll be staying in a suburb, which appears to be relatively fine. Not sure if I will venture into any of the really sketchy areas. Henry Ford museum is the key place to visit.
    The Henry Ford is a great experience. I remember the big steam locomotive from when I visited in ‘84.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Looks like Ferris Bueller's Day Off shooting locations, right?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Either that, or we've been "scammed by a kindygartner " :D
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    It’s not either of those.   I’m stumped ...ok Fin what movie? 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Ferris Bueller is on the right track - the interior school scenes were filmed at that school. The exterior was used in The Breakfast Club.

The CTA stop at Lasalle/VanBuren in the loop was used during the ending of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, where John Candy and Steve Martin part ways, but Steve comes back for him. The house is Steve Martin's house in the movie, where he takes John Candy for Thanksgiving.

No movie locations today, but I can say the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum is everything people say it is, and more. Awesome place. The famous re-created art deco showroom is like a time warp:

I forgot that Steve Martin's house had a third floor. That was a funny movie.
    Fin, are you planning a stop at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Mi.?

Yep, probably next Thursday or Friday.
    Based on your ACD experiences, I think you'll really enjoy Gilmore.
    edited November 2018
    By the looks of it, I won't be disappointed.

On the road this morning, from Ohio to suburban Detroit. Traffic was easy, but lots of goofy drivers, and quite a bit of police patrols in Ohio, but I think they are like everywhere else and don't care so long as you are not more than 9 over.

Speaking of being conned by a kindygardner, the grounds of this place have changed a bit in the past nearly 30 years, no doubt to thwart lookie-loos, but the house is the same:

Name that filming location, interior edition:

Top looks like Home Alone, bottom not sure.

What is the metal plate with a slot in it that's in the beadboard at the right of the picture.

That kitchen is out of the earliest days of my memories when we would visit friends and neighbors some had a kitchen with appliances like that.

edited November 2018
    Yep, the 1920s brick manse is the Home Alone house. The circular driveway and garage have been removed, and the fence is a recent addition. I am sure it gets annoying to have people constantly looking at your house (someone else showed up to gawk during the 5 minutes I was there), but at the same time, the history of the house is no secret., so no buyer should be surprised.

The old time kitchen is at "The Christmas Story" house. It has been open for tours for some time, and if you have always loved the movie, as have I, it is a must-see in Cleveland. There's also an adjacent nearby museum with a treasure trove of props and related items.

The house was a normal private residence for another 20 years after it was filmed, so the current owner re-created locations as accurately as possible, and some scenes were on a sound stage, so everything isn't always 100% identical, but much is the same.

The plate on the wall represents the damper control that draws the ire of Darren McGavin:

https://youtu.be/fjNqLOorulI

It was not a functional piece in this house, something for the movie, and was re-created to live in the kitchen:

One thing that has never crossed my mind while road-tripping..... visiting movie locations. Hahaha! Neat, though.
    When we were in LA about a month ago I made a point to visit the Fast & Furious house where the characters Dominic Toretto and his sister Mia, and the crew lived. Coincidentally and unintentionally we also named our kids Dominic and Mia, and of course I made them pose in front of the house. B)

When we were there, people rolled up every few minutes to take pictures as well. We tried to be quick and unobtrusive as I can imagine it can get annoying for the home owners.

Toretto's sandwich shop where Paul Walker's character Brian fought Vince in the beginning of the first movie is less than half a block away from the Toretto house and is an every day convenience store.

Very cool. I was never into the movies, but fun to see someone else is a geek for exploring locations. Some of these places become part of your own memory. I've always liked John Hughes movies, so even the thought of being near Chicago meant I needed to go exploring.

When I was in LA a few years ago, I visited a number of locations, And put together this BTTF gallery on another site

As someone who hasn't been inside a movie theater since the 1990s and finds almost all newer movies unwatchable, I am astounded by the number of people fascinated by locations. To each his own I suppose.

I think I have been to a movie theater under a dozen times in the 21st century B) Most of the material I go for is from the 80s. Old movies have locations too.
    Maybe in a few decades today's millenials will be visiting the spots where the CGI used in today's comic book movies was produced.

edited November 2018
    I have been enjoying your photos from various car shows, museums, and movie location trips for a long time. I envy you that you can plan these things and put into effect a great itinerary to see them.

I checked into the Studebaker museum, which I would like to see, and it's a 3:45 drive from here.
    That would mean it's a full day to leave at 6 see the museum(s) and then drive home. Trouble with that is I'd also enjoy Auburn which is closer. So adding that in would be a very long day. But it's in my bucket.

Last time I was in a movie theatre (and first time in years) was to watch the re release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind about a year ago.

I took my son to see it because when I was a kid in the 80s my parents took me to see it. I know the movie came out in 77 but in communist Poland there was a 5 year delay in movie releases. :o

I too don't care for a lot of the newer movies, and my favorite ones tend to be from the 80s and 90s. Just the movies I grew up with that brought back fond memories. John Hughes movies are good I agree.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    @fintail

How old are you? I'm thinking we have to be pretty much the same age, based on your likes of the 80s.

FWIW I just turned 40 this year.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

That's a good point, most of the material I like predates real CGI. That might be a factor. Movies like Poltergeist, one of my all time favorites, have amazing effects without CGI. There's something special about it.
    ab348 said:

Maybe in a few decades today's millenials will be visiting the spots where the CGI used in today's comic book movies was produced.

I've got around a year on you, definitely a kid of the 80s.

tjc78 said:

@fintail

How old are you? I'm thinking we have to be pretty much the same age, based on your likes of the 80s.

FWIW I just turned 40 this year.

You should do it, no time like the present. Just stay the night - that's what makes this easier on me. Stude and ACD in a day would be tiring. But Stude in the morning, ACD the next morning, with a break in between for a leisurely drive and checking out the town, makes it easier. I think you'd really enjoy it.

I have been enjoying your photos from various car shows, museums, and movie location trips for a long time. I envy you that you can plan these things and put into effect a great itinerary to see them.

I checked into the Studebaker museum, which I would like to see, and it's a 3:45 drive from here.
    That would mean it's a full day to leave at 6 see the museum(s) and then drive home. Trouble with that is I'd also enjoy Auburn which is closer. So adding that in would be a very long day. But it's in my bucket.

Thinking of movies, last one I saw was Star Wars 2 years ago, because my brother gave me a ticket and we went with my young niece (both Star Wars fans). Before that, it was the racing movie about James Hunt, and before that, I think the 25th anniversary showing of BTTF. That was in 2010. 3 in 8 years, as far as I recall.

Here's a location obscured by foliage, should still be easy:

The house appears to be undergoing significant renovations:

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716

$130 at a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton, and a free breakfast the next morning.

We drive to Fort Wayne frequently, and while I can do it up and back in one day, I try to avoid it.

Hey, maybe you could stay with my sister-in-law! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Keep checking out those places you recall Fin. Another 20 years and they will be gone - replaced by strip malls and Walgreens.
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off where the Ferrari went through the back window of the garage?

edited November 2018
    fintail said:

You should do it, no time like the present.

I just remembered I should have suggested the American's Packard Museum. The only museum
    in a restored Packard dealership. It's in Dayton, but I've never visited. They don't have a lot of
    cars but the slideshow on the home page shows many of them. Site says it is the largest collection of Packards
    and memorabilia in the WORLD.
    http://www.americaspackardmuseum.com/home.html

More about the museum with video:
    https://www.dayton.com/lifestyles/bucket-list-check-out-the-packard-museum/KWpk8sDrepgmfLkh8pxKsK/

I see some of them that they take to various car shows around the area. Or else they are others owned by Packard faithful in the area.

The building was a downtown Ford dealership in the 60s and 70s. Borcher's Ford.