Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited December 2018
    stickguy said:

I did drive it tonight. Took daughter out to pick up something and took a quick ride. Got to goose it a little, and took a windy road. Really drives nice. Good growl, seems quick, sharp shifts. Very smooth ride but excellent steering and road holding....

Thanks for the review. Can you feel the 4-wheel steering? I could feel PAWS right away with my first test drive, which made me puzzled that most car magazine reviews said it didn't make any difference.....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Nice all on the above
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Neighbor across the street has a shiny new white Mazda CX5 in his driveway today. He had been driving a current-gen Mazda 3 sedan in one of Mazda's non-colors - I think his was Mudslide Metallic, a nondescript taupe/tan-grey shade. This new one looks much better, they are a good-looking design. Will have to chat with him to see if it was a lease or a buy.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
     Driving from home glad everything‘s going well with the family works going OK. Hope the pain is better for you today, that’s good your children have awesome financial ethics like that. That’s the way to be the way I am too. Got laid off on Wednesday but I’ve been looking for another job I’m going on an appointment for the time being and keep on looking at staying positive life goes on it’s just life‘s ups and downs. Going today to hang out with my brother and nieces for the weekend we’re having Christmas Christmas eve home. 
  • Options
     That’s awesome on your neighbor can I am you shiny white Mazda CX five, yes chat with him when you get a chance you know we will wanna know details in here. Maybe you can get them on board to join or poop in here. Pennsylvania man, that’s awesome your way wife likes the grand Cherokee big fan of the current generation two we had to move one back in the beginning of 2017 fully loaded and liked it. 
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    ab348 said:

I think we need to take away @stickguy’s Honcker and forum access. Too much temptation. 

Yep. Two days in and already expressing buyer's remorse. Of course, nobody saw that coming. ;)
    Nah - in my experience, the few days after a car purchase are often filled with thoughts of, "what else could I have gotten?"

Completely normal. :)

Well, that's assuming I'm normal.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    My wife told me last night how much she's enjoying the A5, now that she doesn't have the direct contrast with the Macan. So I was happy to hear that. Here's hoping we can both settle into our main rides and just indulge in the fun car for our temptations.

All in all, it was a very easy and pleasant transaction. I am so pleased our local dealer was able to pull a service loaner from their fleet in the exact color my wife wanted, and the Prestige trim may not have been an absolute must have, but it sure was desired (someone had asked here what gray it was - it's Manhattan Gray).

It was about as close to a straight swap as you could get. The trade on the Macan was a bit higher than the price of the A5, so no taxes owed, and we were even able to roll in the AudiCare plan (prepaid service through 50k miles) and come out with a lower payment in the end.

After paying for the 20k service on the Macan, I like the security of having the maintenance on the A5 paid up front for quite awhile. And the unlimited miles on the CPO warranty is good for us too.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    breld said:

My wife told me last night how much she's enjoying the A5, now that she doesn't have the direct contrast with the Macan. So I was happy to hear that. Here's hoping we can both settle into our main rides and just indulge in the fun car for our temptations.

All in all, it was a very easy and pleasant transaction. I am so pleased our local dealer was able to pull a service loaner from their fleet in the exact color my wife wanted, and the Prestige trim may not have been an absolute must have, but it sure was desired (someone had asked here what gray it was - it's Manhattan Gray).

It was about as close to a straight swap as you could get. The trade on the Macan was a bit higher than the price of the A5, so no taxes owed, and we were even able to roll in the AudiCare plan (prepaid service through 50k miles) and come out with a lower payment in the end.

After paying for the 20k service on the Macan, I like the security of having the maintenance on the A5 paid up front for quite awhile. And the unlimited miles on the CPO warranty is good for us too.

Paging @breld to the white courtesy phone. Please change your signature line ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @breld, is AudiCare transferable when you trade again, or is it cancellable and prorated?
  • Options
    carnaught said:
    @breld, is AudiCare transferable when you trade again, or is it cancellable and prorated?
    It stays with the car, so it’s somewhat of a selling point, particularly with a private sale.  

When I bought my CPO A5 years ago and went in for the first service, I was told there was an Audi Care plan on it.  That was a very pleasant surprise.  

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    My wife told me last night how much she's enjoying the A5, now that she doesn't have the direct contrast with the Macan. So I was happy to hear that. Here's hoping we can both settle into our main rides and just indulge in the fun car for our temptations. All in all, it was a very easy and pleasant transaction. I am so pleased our local dealer was able to pull a service loaner from their fleet in the exact color my wife wanted, and the Prestige trim may not have been an absolute must have, but it sure was desired (someone had asked here what gray it was - it's Manhattan Gray). It was about as close to a straight swap as you could get. The trade on the Macan was a bit higher than the price of the A5, so no taxes owed, and we were even able to roll in the AudiCare plan (prepaid service through 50k miles) and come out with a lower payment in the end. After paying for the 20k service on the Macan, I like the security of having the maintenance on the A5 paid up front for quite awhile. And the unlimited miles on the CPO warranty is good for us too.
    Got it.   ;)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    breld said:

nyccarguy said:

breld said:

Got it.   ;)

It's kinda sad to see the signature line so short...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Happy Holidays, All! Been away from Edmunds for a bit, was in LA visiting family. Congrats to all the folks with new family members; breld I have no words except you are el jefe!

Had lunch with my son and girlfriend, while I was visiting the men's room, boy told GF to convince me to give him my XF. She said he was dead serious (the '02 Lexus RX300 that had been his steed gave up the tranny earlier this year, so he's been sans car. Poor college boy).

I likely won't do anything near term, but as he enters second semester of his sophomore college year, he may need a car for the summer. I've got a couple of thoughts (might get complicated involving the ex now living in OR), e.g. finding a decent <$9k car for him. Or, buying myself a second midlife crisis'er (there's a CPO '13 Jag XK at my dealer, currently asking $29.8. Or '17 CPO F-Type, $48.5. But, both black on black. No es bueno. HOw about a '17 CPO Porsche 911 for $71k?) and letting him use the what will be 5.5 year old XF over the summer.

But, like many, the lousy stock market of Q4 has cost me quite a bit (on paper), predominately in retirement funds. But, my taxable accounts really got whacked this past couple of weeks, so not sure any car purchase is prudent for this increasingly old dude. Not that I claim to be clairvoyant, but as I said to several folks in September, I got a bad feeling...was so tempted to flee to temporary safety, but didn't. Time is not as much my friend as it was back in '00 when last i really got wacked.

So, here's to a '19 of health, wealth, peace, joy and punches! breld, do us (even more) proud! How do you do it???

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Last week was a train wreck when it comes to the markets. I, for one, am certainly tired of all of this winning...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    My 401k is in the holiday spirit. Red all over. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Pretty soon it will be a bunch of trillionaires on one side and the rest of us eating cat food.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Pretty soon it will be a bunch of trillionaires on one side and the rest of us eating cat food.
    Pretty soon?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I'm not going to look, but I am guessing I am down 4.5% for 2018. Those magic beans look mighty attractive right now.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733

Well, as a Costco member, I can buy my cat food in bulk!
    Of course, I've benefited from the bull, but prior to Q4, I was really beginning to see light at the end of the work tunnel. But, wow, so quick and so violent a fall. Yuge, just yuge.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I think catfood has come a long way in the last decade. Of course, I would only eat the pricey stuff.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I have a fallback. Give the wife the new car. Then go shopping!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I was at roughly "age in bonds," but now might be a good opportunity to move towards a more aggressive glide path. My plan was always to stop reducing the stock allocation well before retirement hold steady once I reached 60% stocks / 40% bonds, but now that I have a rough timeline in place, I think I could be closer to 80/20 now and gradually shift to 60/40 by the time I'm actually ready to retire.
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    I'm Ron, and I'm a CCB. I was pretty much sober for 11 years, having only test-driven when we specifically looked for a new ride for my wife, and we ended up with her Jetta in 2013. My 2006 Volvo wagon really started showing its age this year, and I feel like I fell off the wagon. (Pun intended?)

I looked, I test-drove to narrow the field. I waited. Then the electrical gremlins got too serious, at which time I test drove again, and then bought.

I thought I was making a good choice with the RDX, but now I have to admit I am second-guessing. I don't see acting on it within the next year or two, but after that I could see a lot of question marks. Sometimes I have Outback envy, at which point I have to goose that J35 just to remind myself that most of my Outback options wouldn't have given me that kind of power. And then I see that the new Passport is coming on the scene before too long.

Whatever happens, I'm not sure the original 8-10 year plan will hold up. If it does, come 2023 we will probably have both the RDX and the Jetta sitting at 110-120K. Place your bets on me now...
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

I have a fallback. Give the wife the new car. Then go shopping!

But your wife only wants one payment at a time iirc.

So, you're not sure you like your new TLX? What specifically bothers you about it? Or do you just like the shopping part of getting a new car more than the ownership part?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tifighter said:

Last week was a train wreck when it comes to the markets. I, for one, am certainly tired of all of this winning...

I’m in the same boat. This is the first year I actually lost money with my investments in a decade. Jumping out of the markets Monday as I fear it’s going to get much worse. No one I know is winning.....ANYTHING! There’s just too much volatility and I feel a recession is right around the corner.

So there’s no confusion, I’m talking about investments.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Y'all made me check. I have also lost in my 401k for the first time EVER. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I just don’t check.

• Options
    I have not really had a chance to use the new car yet, and we are away for the holiday so it is sitting home in the garage. We just need time to bond I guess. It’s much different so will take some getting used to.

And of course, there were many other options passed over, so a bit of “what if”.

Hopefully once we get home and take it out on some drives will fall in love.

• Options
    Love all above agree with you all!
  • Options
    stick guy you did not get to take the new  car on an road trip next time.Type your comment
  • Options
    A blessed and joyeous Christmas to all of our group who celebrate!
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    ronsteve said:
    I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about it! Happy Festivus for the rest of us! 
    It’s a festivus miracle!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I looked at one account statement the other day and decided not to look at the others :worried:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

tifighter said:

I’m in the same boat. This is the first year I actually lost money with my investments in a decade. Jumping out of the markets Monday as I fear it’s going to get much worse. No one I know is winning.....ANYTHING! There’s just too much volatility and I feel a recession is right around the corner.

So there’s no confusion, I’m talking about investments.

If you jump out, how do you know when to jump back in? If you have a foolproof plan, forward it to me.

qbrozen said:

Y'all made me check. I have also lost in my 401k for the first time EVER. 

Young whippersnapper
    stickguy said:

I just don’t check.

Actually, a pretty good plan.
    au1994 said:

I looked at one account statement the other day and decided not to look at the others :worried:

Another good one, though I admit, I do check.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You made me look … I'm down 8.5% year to date.

5 or 10 years ago, I wouldn't have minded so much. But now, with only 10-15 years to go before I hopefully retire, I'm not so happy about it.

On a more on-topic note, I got an email offer for a $50 VISA gift card if I test drove a Hyundai before the end of the year. I had some free time late yesterday, so I snuck over to the local dealer to test drive something … anything.

As you all know, the lease on my Jetta is up next August, and I've spent the better part of the entire lease term contemplating what I might do next. So, with @breld and @jpp5862 encouraging me, I've taken a lot of test drives, trying to figure out what I like.

Last night it was a Hyundai Kona Limited AWD. Sticker price was $28K, and it was pretty well loaded with BLIS, lane keep, rear cross traffic alert and all the standard bells and whistles. This one had the 1.6T engine that @stickguy had in the recently departed Elantra Sport, but in the Kona it's only tuned for 175HP and 195 torques. I don't know if it had the fancy DCT transmission - I suspect not, but didn't think to look too closely at the window sticker to know for sure.

The dealer was pretty busy last night, so they let me take it out on my own. I was able to sit it in while waiting for my license to be returned to me and the dealer plates to be handed over. First impressions of the inside are - well, I had an Elantra GT as a rental in Houston last week, and the Kona was pretty much a duplicate, ergonomically. There were a few more buttons available - to turn on or off the safety nannies, a button to lock in the AWD system, and one to switch driving mode from "normal" to "sport". The dash and infotainment set up were identical.

Power seats were a nice touch, and I found I had plenty of room behind the wheel, once I got them adjusted. Push button to start (our rental actually forced us to use the key - horror!), and off I went.

Driving impressions were somewhat disappointing. The engine just sounded more coarse than the 1.4T I have in my Jetta. And, because of the extra weight of the AWD system, the additional ponies under the hood didn't translate into more get up and go. It was nice, and all - and, putting the drivetrain into "sport" mode helped things a bit - but I was just underwhelmed by the whole thing.

It's nice for what it is - and, I'd be more likely to get this than a Crosstrek - but I think I'd like something a bit more "mature" for my next DD.

Hoping to get out this week and test drive both a Sonata with the 2.0T (either Limited or Sport), as well as the Mazda 6 with the 2.5T, back to back.

I got back into the Jetta to drive home, and really appreciated the extra money VW invested into refining the whole car. And, I couldn't stop thinking how much CPO TLX I could get for that same $28K sticker price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I've been squeezing my investment portfolio open like a poker hand.
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I am ignoring my 401k. It's Christmas, and I don't want to be depressed. I'll look after the first of the year.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    If the fintail ends up needing engine work, and an expensive hobby rears up out of the past and reclaims me, I might sell off some of an employer-based stock holding I've accumulated - the money might actually be better being used.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited December 2018
    Shrewd financial sharpie that I am, I got out of my mutual funds back in March when the markets made me nervous and they took a dive not long after. I parked it in the money market until the middle of November when I decided to get back in, with a balanced ETF, so fairly conservative. Naturally the markets began tanking a couple of weeks later. They always do this when I get back in, so maybe this downturn is my fault. Sorry. :s

While I am not happy about things, knowing that the markets are almost always irrational makes me realize there is little I can do about it and it might go back up the minute I get out. Anyway, I don't need the money right now (though my advisor told me I should start spending it, which goes against my nature) and so I am not going to get out at this point. The worst thing about this downturn is the timing, in that our pension fund assesses its funding status at year-end - if it is 100% funded we get a partial cost of living increase, and while it was fully funded all year, this may take it below that threshold, which would mean no $40/month windfall for me..

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited December 2018
    @ab348 ”...my advisor told me I should start spending it...”

What this would mean to me: oh boy, time for an additional car, or replacement car punch?...yippie.....!
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Michaell said:

You made me look … I'm down 8.5% year to date.

5 or 10 years ago, I wouldn't have minded so much. But now, with only 10-15 years to go before I hopefully retire, I'm not so happy about it.

On a more on-topic note, I got an email offer for a $50 VISA gift card if I test drove a Hyundai before the end of the year. I had some free time late yesterday, so I snuck over to the local dealer to test drive something … anything.

As you all know, the lease on my Jetta is up next August, and I've spent the better part of the entire lease term contemplating what I might do next. So, with @breld and @jpp5862 encouraging me, I've taken a lot of test drives, trying to figure out what I like.

Last night it was a Hyundai Kona Limited AWD. Sticker price was $28K, and it was pretty well loaded with BLIS, lane keep, rear cross traffic alert and all the standard bells and whistles. This one had the 1.6T engine that @stickguy had in the recently departed Elantra Sport, but in the Kona it's only tuned for 175HP and 195 torques. I don't know if it had the fancy DCT transmission - I suspect not, but didn't think to look too closely at the window sticker to know for sure.

The dealer was pretty busy last night, so they let me take it out on my own. I was able to sit it in while waiting for my license to be returned to me and the dealer plates to be handed over. First impressions of the inside are - well, I had an Elantra GT as a rental in Houston last week, and the Kona was pretty much a duplicate, ergonomically. There were a few more buttons available - to turn on or off the safety nannies, a button to lock in the AWD system, and one to switch driving mode from "normal" to "sport". The dash and infotainment set up were identical.

Power seats were a nice touch, and I found I had plenty of room behind the wheel, once I got them adjusted. Push button to start (our rental actually forced us to use the key - horror!), and off I went.

Driving impressions were somewhat disappointing. The engine just sounded more coarse than the 1.4T I have in my Jetta. And, because of the extra weight of the AWD system, the additional ponies under the hood didn't translate into more get up and go. It was nice, and all - and, putting the drivetrain into "sport" mode helped things a bit - but I was just underwhelmed by the whole thing.

It's nice for what it is - and, I'd be more likely to get this than a Crosstrek - but I think I'd like something a bit more "mature" for my next DD.

Hoping to get out this week and test drive both a Sonata with the 2.0T (either Limited or Sport), as well as the Mazda 6 with the 2.5T, back to back.

I got back into the Jetta to drive home, and really appreciated the extra money VW invested into refining the whole car. And, I couldn't stop thinking how much CPO TLX I could get for that same $28K sticker price.

I don’t think you can get the Sonata Sport with 2.0 T. Not sure what that’s all about.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

As kyfdx said, I'd think long and hard about that. People who try to time the market often end up locking in their losses and never recovering. When, if ever, would you get back in?

I do check, not always by choice, but I have everything set up to download through Quicken, and if I do a download, it fetches current prices for my holdings unless I specifically tell it not to.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    If you are still accumulating 401K assets, then you are buying cheap, every time it goes down. That's the beauty of 401K investments. It's the ultimate example of dollar cost averaging.

And, if you are planning your retirement to 95 (and you should), then you need a hefty exposure to stocks, even in retirement, so you can keep that nest egg growing.

It does get harder to stay the course, once you begin the distribution phase. But, it's still the smart way to go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Kona =1.6t comes with the 7 speed dsg trans. One of the best parts of the car. And the sonata sport can be had with the 2.0t. If they had been around last year I likely would have gotten that instead of the Elantra.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Kona =1.6t comes with the 7 speed dsg trans. One of the best parts of the car. And the sonata sport can be had with the 2.0t. If they had been around last year I likely would have gotten that instead of the Elantra.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't have known that it was a DSG based on how it drove.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Like many have said regarding investments, I just don’t look. History strongly indicates that we’re overdue for a downward correction. Just keep on investing - now is not the time to stop.

On another note, I did get the winter wheel set on the A5 yesterday. I’m very pleased with the look, especially as they were an inexpensive wheel. I didn’t have time to identify proper fitting Audi center caps - that would complete the look.

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    nice A5 sprtback
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    I'm down 10%; it is what it is...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited December 2018
    My sister and I jointly own a condo in Hilton Head. We talked over Thanksgiving about jumping on a couple others there that just came up for sale. We rent them out to the “golf crowd”. It’s been a good investment for both of us.

The stocks I’ve lost on will go to finance the condos.

I think this down turn is going to last a while. Too much downward pressure in Bluechips. Automotive stocks.....well, we’ve seen the contraction there with tariffs. Too much volatility in D.C. to settle the markets. If I were younger, I might be willing to ride it out. Now? I want something tangible.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring