Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Importing Canadian Vehicles to the U.S.

14567810»

Comments

• shirlock1shirlock1 Member Posts: 1
    Now that Subaru no longer makes the outback with a manual for US market I would like to bring in a Canadian model where the manual is alive and well. Problem is that the Distributor has told the dealers not to sell to non canadian citizens. I think I found a dealer that will sell me a car. Question is bringing into the us. Several posters talked about all that needed to be changed was the speedo from Km to mi. The question is that a function that is reprogramable in a currently sold subaru and not something that the speedo needs to be physically changed.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2015
    I'm looking at a used vehicle listed for sale in the USA at a dealer. It looks like the only mileage on it is from driving from Quebec. Is it still under OEM warranty?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ErvErv Member Posts: 1
    I have a Canadian model 2014 Doge grand caravan,it has been in Az for 2 years,now I want to sell it,what do I have to do besides find a buyer
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of US dealers are buying up Canadian cars right now because of the exchange rate. So it must not be all that complicated.

Here's what US customs says about the paperwork. If you call the AZ DMV someone there may be able to tell you the drill too.

Where is it registered? AZ title or Canadian? If it's got an AZ title you're probably home free. If the odometer and speedo are in KMs I suppose that could be an issue.

Rumor on the net is that Dodge won't honor the warranty on a Canadian vehicle sold in the US. That may affect the selling price.
  • vladkot77vladkot77 Member Posts: 1
    It appears that there is no easy way on how to rebate or simply not to pay GST/HST taxes to the car dealer in Canada. Dealer doesn't care that you are non-resident exporting car to USA and Canadian Customs & Revenue Service did not clearly confirmed that the taxes be returned if purchase occurs in Canada. Can anyone explain how to deal with the Canadian taxes as, apparently, double taxation while paying it in USA DMV i no-go scenario.
  • 03yellowblaze03yellowblaze Member Posts: 2
    Not to sound like an idiot, but...

Can someone post a step by step on this? I don't know why this is confusing me so much (maybe it's the migraine I've had for the past few days lol), but I need to figure this out.

I live in NY and would like to buy a used, out of warranty car from a private seller in Canada (Ontario). It is, as far as I can tell, the same as the US version save some options (a Subaru Baja-they only came with the all weather package in Canada, it was not offered in the US). The speedo reads KM/H with MPH below in smaller print, the only difference being the temp readout is C instead of F and the odometer reads in KM instead of Miles. I don't care about warranty coverage obviously, just how to get it here from there legally.

I know I need a letter from SOA with the VIN stating it meets US standards (which it should). It was built in Indiana, it isn't a JDM spec or anything like that. After I have that, what else do I need to do? I can find hundreds of posts about doing the opposite-bringing a US car to Canada, but it seems bringing a Canadian car to the US is rather muddy.
  • jum9187jum9187 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a question on an imported car, I can't find the information anywhere.
    I imported a car from Ontario to Michigan last year, no troubles, just need the letter from manufacturer stating the EPA compliance, h7 form and 7501 form. I had some questions from the customs officers but no trouble in the end.
    Now, I have a problem with the car so I'm selling it real cheap to a mechanic. Only problem, the custom officer stated "vehicle cannot be sold in the us until odometer reads in MPH" on the form. It is not written on the title though, title is clean. But for me, changing the cluster at the dealer would cost me the price of the car I'm selling...
    Is it something that's required and checked? I've never heard of that before..
    Thanks
  • motosnoopmotosnoop Member Posts: 1
    For those bordering the Canadian provinces, they can really take advantage of the exchange rate. Any export fees are offset (and some) by the conversion rate.
    MotoSnoop.com - Vehicle History Reports you can afford
  • 1959patriot1959patriot Member Posts: 1
    I brought a 2010 Equinox into the U.S. a week ago, Feb. 28, 2016. Prior to buying the car , I contacted the U.S. Customs (5 miles away) to find what was required. They were very helpful and made the process easy. I found the car at a B.C. Mazda dealership but couldn't agree with all the excess taxes that were required in B.C. I found a wholesaler near-by and they purchased the car from the Mazda dealer. All that was then required was the purchase price plus $395.00 for the wholesaler's services. There was one required sticker missing from the car so I called the Canadian GM people with the VIN number and they emailed the necessary paperwork, (a compliance paper) free of charge, the very next day. Even without that document, the Customs officer allowed me to take the car home. I took the "compliance paper" to the Customs the day I received it and they cleared it for licensing in the U.S. To eliminate a lot of fuss, I would suggest using an auto broker to assist you. It'll cost a few dollars but it makes things easier. (I just found out today that Chrysler will not allow Canadian Jeeps to be brought into the U.S.)
  • wamomof5wamomof5 Member Posts: 2
    1959patriot - would you mind sharing the name and phone number of the wholesaler you used in BC? I am interested in purchasing a car in Canada and bringing it into the US. I live in the Seattle metro area. Thank you very much for your guidance!
  • dadangerdogdadangerdog Member Posts: 1
    I too am interested in getting in contact with a Canadian auto wholesaler. If anyone who reads this knows one please click on my user name and send me a message. Thanks!
  • mbrenner53mbrenner53 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2016
    Just purchased a new Nissan Rougue in BC (I'm from Seattle). Also helped my dad to purchase an Audi Q5. A few things y'all might want to know. First, there's no way of getting out of paying the 5% gst, but if you're purchasing a vehicle for export from the province within 30 days you can provide the dealer a PST exemption form, or apply for a refund from BC ministry of finance if you pay the PST to the dealer (we just got our check in the mail yesterday from the ministry of finance.) Also, most states will credit your use tax due when registering  to the extent you paid sales or use tax to the jursidiction where you purchased the vehicle (i.e. If you paid 5% gst and your state use tax is 9%, you should only owe the difference of 4%.) A word of advice, register the car in BC for one day, makes paperwork easier at the border and that will serve as your proof of ownership when registering/titling in US.  As for the import, we called Nissan of North America for my car and Audi of North Anerica for my dads... That's to get the letter of compliance stating that the vehicle, while made for the Canadian market meets EPA and NHTSA standards. The Rogue was non compliant due to daytime running light brightness and EPA labeling, however, those are the two exemptions for an otherwise compliant vehicle that allows you to personally import without using a registered importer. The Q5 was noncompliant due to labeling, so again, the exemption allowed us to personally import without RI. Definitely do this exercise first before buying. Nissan turned the paperwork around within an hour, Audi took about 3 hours. If the vehicle is non compliant for any other reason than daytime running light brightness or labeling a registered importer must be used, that's not a surprise you want to get after buying the vehicle.  Also, the Q5 had a km only speedo, but because it also had digital display that could show mph we passed the import inspection (I called ahead to make sure this want an issue because I couldn't find anything concrete on CBP website). Last thing was my dad owed 2.5% duty because the vehicle was made outside of North America, the Rogue was duty free as a result of NAFTA (built in USA). In the end we saved substantial $$$ and the only hassles were paying cash (or in my dads case opening a Canadian bank account, wiring money, and getting a bank draft) and some time at the border. Feel free to ask me any questions about the process, I think I've even convinced a few coworkers to buy in BC and import. 
    Did you ask Nissan and Audi if they would cover any warranty issues in the US?
    stever said:
    Did you ask Nissan and Audi if they would cover any warranty issues in the US?
    Audi said the warranty is valid in the USA immediately. Nissan said the warranty is not useable until 6 months after the date of import. 
    Interesting, thanks. Guess you are close you could limp the Nissan up to BC if you had to.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How much savings are we talking about here?---I hope more than a few hundred bucks.
    How much savings are we talking about here?---I hope more than a few hundred bucks.
    The exchange rate we got gave us a 24.5% savings. So yes, a whole lot more than a few hundred bucks. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that certainly seems worth the trouble!
  • wamomof5wamomof5 Member Posts: 2
    mbrenner53 - Is it possible to easily reconfigure the speedometer & odometer to miles from the Canadian km settings in the Nissan and the Audi? Also, did your dad set up the Canadian bank account because he was financing the car purchase with a US bank loan, or was there another reason for the Canadian bank account? If yes, was this difficult to do without a Canadian citizenship or home address? Thanks very much for your advice on this matter. I am also from Seattle and would love to purchase a car from Canada.
    Flag · Like LOL · Share on Facebook
    The odometer is digital on both so that was an easy fix. We left the speedometer in as is on the Nissan given that it does show mph, as for my dad, he purchased the mph conversion face using the website below. To swap the whole cluster out would have been $1300 this fix is only about $400 for the face and the labor. As for the Canadian bank account, it was not for financing or anything, just more convenience of not carrying $50k in cash across the border. We did that for the Nissan and it can be a bit of an ordeal reporting it to US CBP and Canada border guards, then we had to go to currency exchange to change the money. He went up the weekend before, setup the account (no Canadian address needed), then wired the money to the Canadian account. We got a cashiers check from the bank on the day we drove up to buy the car. One note, you can't finance the car in Canada and then export it and you can't set up financing from a US bank payable to the Canadian dealership. If you don't have the cash on hand you'll likely want to take out a line of credit or borrow from friends or family and then finance the vehicle after you've imported it. We financed the Nissan when we got back (it's called a 2nd chance car loan with BECU)

http://www.kmh-mph.co.uk/product-q5-diesel-mph-dial-conversion-kit-pd496m.html
  • indycaseindycase Member Posts: 1
    I have recently moved to the US for work but still have Canadian address in Toronto. I want to lease a Nissan in Canada and bring it to the US to use and eventually will be relocating back. Will this be possible? Would Nissan Canada let me register the car in the US for the time and registering it back in Canada upon lease end for return (or I may buy it out). The model is made in Japan. Thanks for anyone who can help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    indycase said:

I have recently moved to the US for work but still have Canadian address in Toronto. I want to lease a Nissan in Canada and bring it to the US to use and eventually will be relocating back. Will this be possible? Would Nissan Canada let me register the car in the US for the time and registering it back in Canada upon lease end for return (or I may buy it out). The model is made in Japan. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Not sure what Nissan Canada will say, but most USA leases forbid taking the car out of the country, and certainly wouldn't allow you to register it in Canada. I'll guess that the reverse is true, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Seems like it was Nissan that didn't honour warranties on Canadian cars registered in the US? Not sure any more if that's still an issue.
  • marcoivmarcoiv Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    @mbrenner53

Thanks VERY much for this post. We naively fell into a nightmare at the border with BC after buying an older Dodge truck in Langley. Its an amazing bizarre story that I'll spare you... The short story is that we finally got across without the DOT sticker and without a letter of compliance from Dodge. But - stupidly - I did not grasp that we needed any of that to register our truck in Oregon. Haven't tried to do that yet. But that's the goal. We did get shifted to an RI... was going to charge $1500 and the car would have to stay in "hold" status for 30 days with him... According the current form I see from DMV in Oregon all I really need is a letter from customer service Dodge. Despite my naivete about importing the truck, I'm pretty good at DIY once I know what the gig is. Its a 2006 3500 truck, a nice find in fact. Didn't pay any duty, the agent just said you need to find a broker and "loop" the car through borders again. Don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary. And certainly don't want to store the truck for a month... You seem to know what you're doing...
    Any savvy advice for us...? Thanks very much in advance for your help on this.
  • marcoivmarcoiv Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I'm new here. The above was meant for mbrenner53, though if anyone has information that would help us.... most grateful.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    marcoiv said:

Sorry, I'm new here. The above was meant for mbrenner53, though if anyone has information that would help us.... most grateful.

I added his membername to your post.

He hasn't been around for awhile, though. We'll see if he gets a heads up on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2017

kyfdx said:

I added his membername to your post.

He hasn't been around for awhile, though. We'll see if he gets a heads up on it.

Hello! @marcoiv  

hopefully this isn't coming too late and can be some help. It sounds like you were conditionally admitted to the US and did not actually import the vehicle. Because the truck did not bear the US DOT label it must be imported as "non conforming" but because it's a Canadian market vehicle you can import it with a letter of compliance, the DOT form HS7 is required for entry, box 2B should be marked indicating that the vehicle meets US standards except for labeling and a manufacturers letter of conformity is attached certifying that the vehicle meets US DOT standards. Then, you also need an EPA form 3520-21 (heavy duty highway engine) you'll need to be importing under exemption 1 (Vehicle is covered by valid EPA certificate of Conformity and bears EPA label) if the vehicle does not have the EPA label you're in a world of hurt, as you'd need to use a ICI (independent commercial importer) that needs to test the engine to confirm that the vehicle meets EPA standards. If you have the HS7 and 3520-21 in order the Customs and Border Patrol will review the forms, inspect the vehicle, and if you are approved, issue you a form 7501. The form 7501 is the import document that proves CBP granted entrance of the vehicle. You would then take the 7501 to the department of licensing and use that along with your proof of ownership to apply for a Oregon title and registration. Hopefully this helps and everything works out. I just did a Nissan Titan XD for myself last week, had all of the above ready for CBP and it was no issue, except for them being jerks for no reason. Cheers!

edit* if you have all of the above you shouldn't need to use the registered importer, also I understand there is one out of Spokane (they have a yard in Kent WA where the 30 day hold take some place) that does RI service for 750, so 1500 sounds like a rip. Also, you just need to go to a CBP port of entry to do the import. There may be one in Oregon you can go to, but I bet they don't see many import of vehicles there. May be a good idea to drive back up to Blaine and do it there as they will be more familiar with the process. You could always call a local CBP office and ask if they can do vehicle imports as well. 
  • Lumm1414Lumm1414 Member Posts: 1
    jum9187 said:
    Hi all, I have a question on an imported car, I can't find the information anywhere. I imported a car from Ontario to Michigan last year, no troubles, just need the letter from manufacturer stating the EPA compliance, h7 form and 7501 form. I had some questions from the customs officers but no trouble in the end. Now, I have a problem with the car so I'm selling it real cheap to a mechanic. Only problem, the custom officer stated "vehicle cannot be sold in the us until odometer reads in MPH" on the form. It is not written on the title though, title is clean. But for me, changing the cluster at the dealer would cost me the price of the car I'm selling... Is it something that's required and checked? I've never heard of that before.. Thanks
    I actually work at a import office but I do the speedometers. I’m located in Michigan. If you have any questions please let me know. And I’m sure I can get you a cluster and set the mileage on it for you.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    Lumm1414 said:

jum9187 said:

Hi all,
    I have a question on an imported car, I can't find the information anywhere.
    I imported a car from Ontario to Michigan last year, no troubles, just need the letter from manufacturer stating the EPA compliance, h7 form and 7501 form. I had some questions from the customs officers but no trouble in the end.
    Now, I have a problem with the car so I'm selling it real cheap to a mechanic. Only problem, the custom officer stated "vehicle cannot be sold in the us until odometer reads in MPH" on the form. It is not written on the title though, title is clean. But for me, changing the cluster at the dealer would cost me the price of the car I'm selling...
    Is it something that's required and checked? I've never heard of that before..
    Thanks

I actually work at a import office but I do the speedometers. I’m located in Michigan. If you have any questions please let me know. And I’m sure I can get you a cluster and set the mileage on it for you.

You do realize that you're responding to a post that is almost 3 years old, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4