Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited February 2019
    A co-worker asked my advice regarding a car he's looking at tomorrow.

https://www.mercedesoflittleton.com/used-Littleton-2015-Mercedes+Benz-+-C+300+4MATIC-55SWF4KB7FU033231

Off the cuff, seems like a nice car for low-$20k's, but it does have somewhat higher miles.

Thoughts on pricing?

He has plenty of funds to buy whatever he would like, but he's frugal when it comes to cars. He's coming out of a 2013 Chrysler 200 that he would have been happy to keep, but it got totaled (no fault of his).

EDIT: Just noticed there's damage reported on the carfax, so that certainly makes it more uncertain on what the right price would be.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    breld said:

https://www.mercedesoflittleton.com/used-Littleton-2015-Mercedes+Benz-+-C+300+4MATIC-55SWF4KB7FU033231

Off the cuff, seems like a nice car for low-$20k's, but it does have somewhat higher miles.

Thoughts on pricing?

He has plenty of funds to buy whatever he would like, but he's frugal when it comes to cars. He's coming out of a 2013 Chrysler 200 that he would have been happy to keep, but it got totaled (no fault of his).

EDIT: Just noticed there's damage reported on the carfax, so that certainly makes it more uncertain on what the right price would be.

12,000 miles per year seems about right.

I like the colors, but would be concerned about the dirty Carfax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,394
    Also, the 2015 C300 had a wristpin issue in the engine that supposedly wasn’t just an annoying noise, but could also lead to premature engine failure down the line. 

I would avoid the 2015 MY unless you can confirm the engine build is post 4/2015. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It says "damage to rear" in Sept 2018, but doesn't specify what exactly. Might have been a mailbox, who knows? I would expect a careful examination of that area of the car is in order.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    And, if the price is right, then NBD on relatively minor (and repaired) damage.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I spotted a large meteor streaking through the sky yesterday on my way home. And, surprisingly, I managed to catch it on my dashcam. This is in my Q7, and the unit is just a little cheap portable bugger, so the quality is relatively awful, but the meteor was really quite big (looked like the width of a pencil to the naked eye) so it shows up well in the middle, right of center portion of the sky (just over the trees), at least in the portion where I focused in on it with the video editor. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3mFATo1pnQ
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I love the color combo on that C300. I liked the diesel one I had as a rental in London and would probably have looked for a C300 here had I not fallen in love with the G37.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Fair price for a clean CPO example. The history concerns me though. I’d say $19k could make me overlook it if it all checks out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I do love the colors on that one. I can't tell what options it has though, outside of a BU camera.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Thanks for the insight in the C300 - I’ll pass it along.  

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Thoughts on pricing?

12,000 miles per year seems about right.

I like the colors, but would be concerned about the dirty Carfax.
    Yeah...plus, it doesn’t have the desireable (in my opinion) Burmeister stereo, either.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    If he’s the type to drive ‘em into the ground, the Carfax may not be a concern.

Good looking car. Coming from a Chrysler 200, I can’t imagine what he would think!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    Mercedes CPO is limited in years but unlimited mileage. You can extend the number of years covered too. $0 deductible too
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Zwest wow I could evan. See the thingg  on the rite!  
  • Options
    I've got wind of one of these for sale near me:

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    mjfloyd1 said:

Mercedes CPO is limited in years but unlimited mileage. You can extend the number of years covered too. $0 deductible too

BMW switched to that a couple of years ago as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    There are different CPO plans. We have CPO Elite, which they often put on service loaners. Our plan is 5 year, 75K miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    kyfdx said:

There are different CPO plans. We have CPO Elite, which they often put on service loaners. Our plan is 5 year, 75K miles.

I think that BMW NA eliminated CPO Elite and now the CPO coverage is either one year or two years past the expiration of the New Car Warranty with unlimited miles.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

kyfdx said:

I think that BMW NA eliminated CPO Elite and now the CPO coverage is either one year or two years past the expiration of the New Car Warranty with unlimited miles.
    May be... that was September of 2017

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    At the Philly auto show. No Cadillac, no BMW. 
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

At the Philly auto show. No Cadillac, no BMW. 

As much as Cadillac is trying to find new buyers I’m surprised they did not have an XT4,5, 6 on display. BMW, Porsche were no shows last year at the Charlotte auto show.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    Met @breld today - he found a gently used Civic Si sedan to test drive. From the passenger seat, I found it to be more comfortable than the Type R he had (duh!). Plenty quick, too. 

Just a skosh overpriced, however - $26,500 for a 2018 with less than 4000 miles. There are dealers in Colorado offering $2k off sticker for a new 2019. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    New England Auto Show, no |BMW, MB, Cadillac, Jaguar, Porsche, Tesla or Trabant. They actually had to fill some floor space with RVs from the RV show in the next hall at the Boston Convention Center.

Genesis was separate from Hyundail Hyundai again had the best swag (if you participated in their trivia game). Got a GEICO hat., Volvo had a nice showing. Somewhat low energy and uninspiring, a shame.

At the Jag dealer this morning getting annual state inspection (and they washed/vacuumed the XF, nice), in the lot a brand new (no plates) white Lamborghini Urus. Big, slick and imposing. Probably traded for an F-Pace...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Michaell said:
    Met @breld today - he found a gently used Civic Si sedan to test drive. From the passenger seat, I found it to be more comfortable than the Type R he had (duh!). Plenty quick, too. 

Just a skosh overpriced, however - $26,500 for a 2018 with less than 4000 miles. There are dealers in Colorado offering $2k off sticker for a new 2019. 
    A buddy was quoted $22,7 on a new $25k MSRP Civic Si sedan in Seattle. Definitely overpriced. 
  • Options
    The Tahoe has seemed slow to crank on several cold mornings. My battery tester shows the battery at around 500-550 CCA, versus its rating of 730. The battery tester doesn't declare it to be bad, yet, though. I can't clearly read the date code on the battery. If it's what I think it is, it could be as old as six years.

I think I'm going to proactively replace it. This is the first battery where I've ever gotten a decent warning, that I noticed, before it died. The one in my Jetta died without warning, and the one in my Altima cranked slow one morning--the next morning, it was dead.
  • Options
    corvette said:

The Tahoe has seemed slow to crank on several cold mornings. My battery tester shows the battery at around 500-550 CCA, versus its rating of 730. The battery tester doesn't declare it to be bad, yet, though. I can't clearly read the date code on the battery. If it's what I think it is, it could be as old as six years.

I think I'm going to proactively replace it. This is the first battery where I've ever gotten a decent warning, that I noticed, before it died. The one in my Jetta died without warning, and the one in my Altima cranked slow one morning--the next morning, it was dead.

Six years is not all that old, but, if it is frequently in a situation where it is unlikely to be fully charged, then that's long enough to be showing some age. I think that my Q7's battery is in the same state. It stranded me once, so now I put it on the charger every Sunday to make sure it will float me through the next week without issue. I need to put a new one in it, but waiting on more favorable conditions.
  • Options

Michaell said:

A buddy was quoted $22,7 on a new $25k MSRP Civic Si sedan in Seattle. Definitely overpriced. 

Somewhat of a trend. Dealers newer used cars can't compete with monthly leasing payments.
  • Options
    Yeah, I knew the used Si was overpriced going in, but I know a salesperson at this dealership, and I found it more comfortable to test out a used Si at a non-Honda dealer.  To this day, many of them still hold even an Si as something precious.  

At $23k-ish, it’s a pretty great car.

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Nice on the car looking. And test drive today guys! Corvette yes change  that battery 6 years is old for one and motran. Cars near an strong battery or they can start to do sum  funky. Stuff
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    nyccarguy said:

I added some power steering fluid to my Q40 the other night and the AM cold squealing is gone.

Well that sucks... we were hoping for an unexpected punch. B)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Saw the convention center layout for the Cincinnati car show. If they all show as scheduled, it seems that only Mercedes is missing.

Our show is run by the local dealer's association, so that might help on turnout.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Saw the convention center layout for the Cincinnati car show. If they all show as scheduled, it seems that only Mercedes is missing.

Our show is run by the local dealer's association, so that might help on turnout.

They were conspicuous by their absence last year, too. Kinda surprised since super dealer (Wyler) just bought the Merceds store in Ft Mitchell, KY. He also owns the Kia dealer who had the Stinger I lusted after for a minute. He was also my Cadillac dealer (sad).
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/how-do-batteries-die.html

Normally well maintained and properly charged deep cycle batteries naturally die due to positive grid corrosion causing an open connection.

In a hot climate, the harshest environment for a battery, a Johnson Controls survey of junk batteries revealed that the average life of a car battery was 37 months. In a separate North American study by BCI, the average life was 48 months. In a study by Interstate Batteries, the life expectancy in extreme heat was 30 months. If your car battery is more than three years old and you live in a hot climate, then your battery is probably living on borrowed time. Abnormally slow cranking, especially on a cold day, is another good indication that your battery is going bad. It should be externally recharged, surface charge removed, and load tested. Dead batteries almost always occur at the most inopportune times. You can easily spend the cost of a new battery or more for an emergency jump start, tow or taxi ride.

Most of the "defective" batteries returned to manufacturers during free replacement warranty periods are good. This strongly suggests that some sellers of new batteries do not know how to or fail to take the time to properly recharge and test batteries.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    I've also been reading about how EV owners are doing in the so-called "polar vortex". Short answer---their range is cut about in half.
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    henryn said:

You can easily spend the cost of a new battery or more for an emergency jump start, tow or taxi ride.

I did intend to take issue with this one statement that I quoted. A new car battery runs around $140 or $150 these days, and I have never paid over $100 for a jump start, tow, or taxi ride.

YMMV

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    I have that Premier AAA package---200 mile free towing. Sometimes I'm in the boonies of California on a job and might need that service.
  • Options

kyfdx said:

They were conspicuous by their absence last year, too. Kinda surprised since super dealer (Wyler) just bought the Merceds store in Ft Mitchell, KY. He also owns the Kia dealer who had the Stinger I lusted after for a minute. He was also my Cadillac dealer (sad).
    I hadn't heard about Wyler buying Fort Mitchell.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Went to have a new battery put in my truck. Note that it was slow to crank this morning, after being on the Battery Tender all night, and sputtered and almost died right after it turned over, I suspect because the voltage was so low. The guy at Autozone had an awful attitude and balked because it tested okay. I already knew it tested “okay” because I have my own battery tester. Then when I told him I thought it was six or seven years old, he agreed to replace it. Then complained about how it’s difficult to get to the battery on my truck and they shouldn’t advertise free installation for batteries.

Using the tester I have, my old battery was spec’d for 730 CCA, and was testing in the low 500s. Not dead, but not great. The new battery is supposed to be 760 CCA, and I tested it well over 800, so I’m really glad I switched it out before it left me stranded. It was around $200 for the nicest Autozone brand AGM battery they had. Three year free replacement warranty. I’m glad to see some manufacturers moving away from the prorated warranties, those always seemed like a gimmick to me. 

Lesson learned: don’t be fooled by something “testing good.” Incidentally, the battery in the G37 tests right at its spec - I think it’s 600 CCA. 
  • Options
    I knew BMW was skipping Philly show this year, but did not realize Caddy was also. That show is also put on by the dealer association. I was interested in the new Caddy CUVs. Guess if I want to sit in one, need to stop at the dealer.

ditto on the new 3 series.

• Options
    took the new car on it's first actually trip (about 2 hours each way up to NY). 4 adults, everyone claimed to be comfortable. Trunk was pretty well stuffed. Nice that it seemed plenty powerful even loaded up. Cruises nice. Good thing it feels more like a 6, because it gets MPG like one! Hopefully that improves once broken in (now up to something around 750 miles on it). Car reported a little over 31 on the way up, but almost 33 on the way back (traffic was nice and light). Maybe the Elantra had my spoiled.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    It took 5-7k miles before my Accord mpg peaked and has remained steady since. I have frequently exceeded 40 mpg on trips, most around 36 mpg. I know not identical to your TLX, but I believe you will see a nice improvement over time.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    My top favorite sedans at the auto show were the Genesis G70 3.3 and the TLX V6 A-Spec, both in the sporty blue color. 

If I was shopping right now, the Genesis would be at the top of my list. Everything about it is impressive. 
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Pittsburgh Auto Show is a dealership association sponsored event as well. No Cadillac or Genesis listed. Would have liked to see a G70 up close. At least BMW is there and I want to see an S60 too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    corvette said:

Lesson learned: don’t be fooled by something “testing good.” Incidentally, the battery in the G37 tests right at its spec - I think it’s 600 CCA. 

I had a similar incident with a battery about two years after I bought our 2010 Forester. I installed it immediately after arriving home, since I knew the stock Panasonic battery that Subaru uses as OEM just isn't cut out for Alaska conditions. However, this 800CCA battery I bought was just D-E-A-D one day. After a week of nursing it along, I finally took it back to the store and requested replacement. They tested it as good, told me it was probably my alternator or a draw or something, and I went off to a dead battery again the next morning.

That was my last straw. I replaced it with a RedTop AGM unit, which is still in the car (well, in the 2013). I think that was early 2012. I ended up putting the bum battery, which I kept, but only used for occasional seasonal duty on my old rigs (the C20 or Econoline, and incidentally, usually worked unless I left it hooked up for more than a few weeks without use), back into the 2010 Forester when I sold it for scrap two years ago.

So, yes, there's definitely a difference between "it functions" and "it is reliable."
  • Options
    sda said:

It took 5-7k miles before my Accord mpg peaked and has remained steady since. I have frequently exceeded 40 mpg on trips, most around 36 mpg. I know not identical to your TLX, but I believe you will see a nice improvement over time.

How much did it improve over that time? I have never noticed such a phenomenon in my cars, but then I have only owned three vehicles from new, and two of them never made it beyond 5,000 miles during my ownership.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Is the Accord a 4 cyl? It will get much better mpg than a 6.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

I hadn't heard about Wyler buying Fort Mitchell.
    Yeah...kinda weird how that went down. The previous owner (Moreno) was from Cleveland. Wyler bought him out. Not sure what the situation was given Moreno has Benz dealerships in northern OH, so he knows what he’s doing. Plus, the dealership in Ft Mitchell is only a few years old.

Apparently the exec staff was kept on, but Wyler actually bought the dealership. That’s a departure for Wyler, who usually deals in mainstream brands. Only luxury dealership he has is the Cadillac store I dealt with. First time in KY for him too, I believe.

Transaction only happened months ago.

I had shopped at the Ft Mitchell Mercedes dealer when I was looking to replace the CTS after Cadillac had to buy it back. I met the GM (Don Paparella). Nice guy. He was the first person I spoke with when I entered the showroom. Didn’t know who he was until he offered me his business card. Plus, he didn’t hand me off to a sales person, either. He talked about the store, how proud he was to be in a brand spanking new facility, etc. No real sales pitch. He lead me to a terminal which showed all of their new stock of “C’ Class cars and to let him know if I found something I liked and he would have it brought to me for a test drive. I did...nice one that was dark silver metallic with red interior (I must have a thing for red). Nothing wrong with it. It drove OK, but I just wasn’t all that excited about it.

Anyway, it was a pleasant and low key experience. The GM stayed in touch via email. That’s how I found out Wyler bought it.
  • Options
    3 inches of snow in Seattle overnight. City is crippled.