Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2019 Honda Passport

Reality_CheckReality_Check Member Posts: 7
edited January 2019 in Honda
Honda announced the 2019 Passport last week. Moderator time to wake-up!!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We generally don't see Forums activity until the cars are on the road and being seen,or used, by our members.

The new Passport won't even be available until 2019, either for purchase or testing results by Edmunds on other parts of the Edmunds website.

• Reality_CheckReality_Check Member Posts: 7
    Not true. There should be a thread as soon as the vehicle specs have been publicly announced.
    Honda has scheduled the Global debut of the Passport on November 27th.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Not true. There should be a thread as soon as the vehicle specs have been publicly announced.
    Honda has scheduled the Global debut of the Passport on November 27th.

You've started a thread.. go ahead and talk about it! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The base trim on the 2019 Passport is 'Sport'. The Sport is well equipped except for one glaring flaw. Based on the initial info Honda has released, this trim does NOT have a physical knob for the Audio system.

This is a safety hazard and really stupid. To launch a brand new vehicle without a physical volume/power know is STUPID. For this reason, this vehicle is not on my shopping list.

The Passport EX-L and higher trim levels come with a physical Audio knob. This is Honda's way to upsell you?

FYI - I own the 2016 CRV. Its a great vehicle but has capacitive touch screen for Audio controls. I HATE it.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'm ready to replace my Accord and have been looking forward to the new Passport. It's the right size and configuration for me. I like the NA V6, the cargo space, its ability to tow and the general layout. Unfortunately, there a two potential show stoppers for me. First, the 20" wheels and low profile tires will degrade the ride quality, have poorer tread life and will cost more to replace. Second, even with the promised software updates to the 9 speed auto, I've continued to hear complaints about that transmission. I'll probably check it out when it arrives in February, but it's doubtful I'll "pull the trigger" on one.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174

The base trim on the 2019 Passport is 'Sport'. The Sport is well equipped except for one glaring flaw. Based on the initial info Honda has released, this trim does NOT have a physical knob for the Audio system.

This is a safety hazard and really stupid. To launch a brand new vehicle without a physical volume/power know is STUPID. For this reason, this vehicle is not on my shopping list.

The Passport EX-L and higher trim levels come with a physical Audio knob. This is Honda's way to upsell you?

FYI - I own the 2016 CRV. Its a great vehicle but has capacitive touch screen for Audio controls. I HATE it.

Don't the steering wheel audio controls make this concern unnecessary?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    toledo73 said:

Not everybody uses them.

I like having the option of a volume knob, even if it is redundant with the steering wheel controls.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

toledo73 said:

Not everybody uses them.

I like having the option of a volume knob, even if it is redundant with the steering wheel controls.
    Honda now has that volume knob on the Pilot. Not sure why they would eliminate it on the passport sport
    toledo73 said:

Michaell said:

toledo73 said:

Not everybody uses them.

Honda now has that volume knob on the Pilot. Not sure why they would eliminate it on the passport sport
    Right - Honda seems quite inconsistent about its availability. A friend of mine had a Civic Type R without a knob. Was one of the few things he wasn't keen on about the car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Any idea when it arrives at dealers? Demand will be high, but I may want it!!!
    toledo73 said:

Any idea when it arrives at dealers? Demand will be high, but I may want it!!!

We don't have that information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Honda started assembly of the Passport in their Lincoln, Alabama plant 1st week of Dec.
    ok, thanks, guys
  • Zoo Ropa82Zoo Ropa82 Member Posts: 122
    2/4/2019 is the Official on-sale date.

Media reviews, driving impressions, and pricing will all be released next week after this weeks Media Drive in Utah. January 23-25 in Moab, Utah.
    thanks for update!!
  • jimm70jimm70 Member Posts: 3
    I was going in whole hog until I saw the 20 inch wheels standard on all models. Yuk!.....and the black ones look even worse than Yuk. Will not be a soft riding vehicle. I’m out.
    I tend to like a firm ride. Have had 3 crv's. But, I'm concerned about the Honda road noise. Seems prevalent on many of their models.
    toledo73 said:

I do not use the controls on the steering.
    A physical knob is very convenient while driving. You do not have to take your eyes off the road. Even the controls on the steering wheel require you to take your eyes off the road.
    edited February 2019
    Any numbers yet on the Passport?

Today is the day!

toledo73 said:

I do not use the controls on the steering.
    A physical knob is very convenient while driving. You do not have to take your eyes off the road. Even the controls on the steering wheel require you to take your eyes off the road.
    ALL trim levels have a volume knob.
    https://automobiles.honda.com/passport
  • Mauricio76Mauricio76 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, any numbers on the Passport Touring, MF, RV? 36/12?
    Thanks
  • ROMILROMIL Member Posts: 111
    jimm70 said:

I was going in whole hog until I saw the 20 inch wheels standard on all models. Yuk!.....and the black ones look even worse than Yuk. Will not be a soft riding vehicle. I’m out.

My parents just drove a 2019 Passport Touring yesterday and said it rode very well. Very similar to the Pilot. They only had two on the lot, a Touring and an Elite.
    2018 Honda Accord Touring
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Hello, any numbers on the Passport Touring, MF, RV? 36/12?
    Thanks

Nope

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I received a quote in the Philadelphia area yesterday

2019 Passport EX-L AWD

.00250 67%

$635/mo. with $0 down 36/12

No discount off MSRP.
    ROMIL said:

jimm70 said:

My parents just drove a 2019 Passport Touring yesterday and said it rode very well. Very similar to the Pilot. They only had two on the lot, a Touring and an Elite.
    Did the passport have better handling, road feel?
    edited February 2019
    toledo73 said:

ROMIL said:

jimm70 said:

Honestly I don't know. All I know is that they loved the Passport. They have driven the Pilot, Subaru Forester and Ascent, Mazda CX-9, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Chevy Traverse. They were leaning towards getting the Forester or Santa Fe for a variety of reasons, until they drove the Passport. They said it blew all the others (not counting the Pilot) out of the water in most aspects. It drove the best, had the nicest interior, best build quality, and was significantly quicker off the line than the others.

That being said, they probably won't end up in a Passport because it's brand new to dealer lots and the leases will most likely be really expensive for a while.
    ROMIL said:

toledo73 said:

ROMIL said:

jimm70 said:

Honestly I don't know. All I know is that they loved the Passport. They have driven the Pilot, Subaru Forester and Ascent, Mazda CX-9, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Chevy Traverse. They were leaning towards getting the Forester or Santa Fe for a variety of reasons, until they drove the Passport. They said it blew all the others (not counting the Pilot) out of the water in most aspects. It drove the best, had the nicest interior, best build quality, and was significantly quicker off the line than the others.

That being said, they probably won't end up in a Passport because it's brand new to dealer lots and the leases will most likely be really expensive for a while.
    Thanks
    I tested the Passport Elite yesterday. It drove very well and was compliant and smooth even with the 20'' tires. It had plenty of power from the V6 and I enjoyed the start/stop function in traffic. The visibility was great out of the tall side windows and it did in fact feel smaller than the Pilot. My only complaint was in the pedal area. The brake pedal is way too close to the dead pedal hindering stretching of my left leg. Taller drivers will probably find this annoying. Pricing is sky high right now and there are no discounts off MSRP. My salesman told me there probably will never be a lease program for them until the 2nd model run in 2020. Honda wants to test the waters to see how the public reacts.
    Car sales are down. So, see how well this SUV sells.There is no way I would spend that kind of money for an auto. At 44K you can get a nice Lexus RX. Pilot deals are abundant now. May be a better way to go.

I tested the Passport Elite yesterday. It drove very well and was compliant and smooth even with the 20'' tires. It had plenty of power from the V6 and I enjoyed the start/stop function in traffic. The visibility was great out of the tall side windows and it did in fact feel smaller than the Pilot. My only complaint was in the pedal area. The brake pedal is way too close to the dead pedal hindering stretching of my left leg. Taller drivers will probably find this annoying. Pricing is sky high right now and there are no discounts off MSRP. My salesman told me there probably will never be a lease program for them until the 2nd model run in 2020. Honda wants to test the waters to see how the public reacts.

I'm sure there will be a lease program, but it will likely use the standard money factor from Honda.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2019
    The dealership in AZ that my parents test drove the Passport at is marking them up $3K over sticker and then adding dealer add-ons on top of that. So you'd be paying about $4-5K over sticker. Do they think this thing is going to be as highly in demand as the new Ford Raptor was when it came out at the end of 2016? Ridiculous. You're much better off waiting for the next model year to get better deals and hopefully bypass any first model year build quality hiccups.
    ROMIL said:

The dealership in AZ that my parents test drove the Passport at is marking them up $3K over sticker and then adding dealer add-ons on top of that. So you'd be paying about $4-5K over sticker. Do they think this thing is going to be as highly in demand as the new Ford Raptor was when it came out at the end of 2016? Ridiculous. You're much better off waiting for the next model year to get better deals and hopefully bypass any first model year build quality hiccups.

Some folks will want to be the first on the block, and will pay whatever it takes to obtain one.

First generation Miata, PT Cruiser …. the list goes on.

The dealers obviously think they have a winner on their hands, and will take all the money they can get for them. They've gotta offset the skinny deals they make on Accords and Civics, somehow.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jennyjenjennyjen Member Posts: 101
    Hello

Is there a lease forum available for the Passport?

Thanks
    jennyjen said:

Hello

Is there a lease forum available for the Passport?

Thanks

Not yet... no lease programs available.

Maybe, in March

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Better to price a Passport in November, December as prices now are incredibly high. You can get a Civic Type R much cheaper.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    ROMIL said:

New Honda models always go for a premium the first couple of months. Looks like a nice vehicle and at some point, I will drive it. In the meantime, with that kind of markup, easier to get an Acura MDX. When you test drive, pay attention to how it shifts. The ZF 9 speed has its issues. Furthermore, Kia and Hyundai also have a new full size SUV launching shortly. Going to be a crowded space, deals will be available later in the year.
  • Mauricio76Mauricio76 Member Posts: 5
    What is the best MF that Honda offers? what is the typical RV on a Honda?
    Thanks

What is the best MF that Honda offers? what is the typical RV on a Honda?
    Thanks

On a new, un-incentivized vehicle, .00240 MF

I'll guess the residual will be around the 60%-62% level for 36/15, depending on trim

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I test drove a Passport today and found it to be okay, but overall, pretty mediocre. It rode okay, not overly loud and a bit loose from a steering and handling standpoint. Perhaps because it had less than 100 miles, it was a bit tight, but I found the drivetrain to be rather sluggish. To me, I thought it to be a half hearted effort on the part of Honda. Not surprisingly, the dealer was "proud" of them and loaded it up with $1700 worth of dealer installed extras. Not sure what I'm going to purchase at this point, but the Passport is off my list.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited February 2019
    I looked at them a few days ago. Unfortunately, like the Pilot it has that Odyssey front seat driving position that jams the front wheel well incursion against your left foot legroom. It needs more front seat travel to offset that. If you're a six footer it will likely be a problem for most. The sales guy admitted they weren't moving off the lot as fast as anticipated. If the driving position works for you, you may be able to score a good deal on one though.
    I hope for Honda's sake they won't suffer from the newly released recall affecting the fuel pumps. People with Ridgeline's cant even wash them! LMAO!

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/15/honda-acura-recall-ridgeline-accord-mdx-tlx/
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I have yet to see a new Passport. Sounds like Honda is trying to squeeze the Passport in between the CRV and the Pilot. Hopefully they know what they are doing.

In my opinion they should have chosen a different name. The old Passports were rebadged Isuzus and they weren't the best. The guys in the shop hated them and they didn't begin to approach traditional Honda quality expectations.

But...what do I know?
    I think they want to compete with the big Jeep, Ford Edge and Nissan Murano, same as the new Chevy Blazer. It appears that the new Passport uses a more sophisticated AWD system than the Pilot. Not sure how that two row market will do with all the new entries. I think most want a crossover with third row seating available, but I guess time will tell and there probably is a market for a more AWD enthusiast segment.
    Just noticed all trims have idle stop. No thanks
    toledo73 said:

Eventually, all cars will have this technology. I've had it on a few rentals and it can be unobtrusive

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    toledo73 said:

I would get used to it along with CVT's on all new cars in the very near future, I've messed with it and it's no big deal.
    It’s easier to avoid CVTs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I dunno, CVT or 9, 10 speed transmissions that constantly shift around. I think I'd rather have a good 6 speed honestly.
    berri said:

I dunno, CVT or 9, 10 speed transmissions that constantly shift around. I think I'd rather have a good 6 speed honestly.

We've had the same vehicle with 6 speed and 8-speed automatics. The newer 8-speeds are much better.

In any case, better than any CVT, I've driven... Even the old 4-speed automatics.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator