Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,046
    My sister's old 2013 Focus (now in my Dad's custody) has the powershift tranny. It's blown up twice during ownership but seems to be holding it's own for now. Truly an awful design.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,808
    GREAT looking MB S550?
    edited May 15
    I wished our MB loaner car delivery person looked like that! He’s a great “old guy” & all...BUT...
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 846

ruking1 said:

GREAT looking MB S550?

Dual airbags?
    Yes, front and rear.

jmonroe
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,574
    You guys are a bunch of sexist pigs. Terrible, I say, terrible! B)

With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    edited May 15
    henryn said:

With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?

I just appreciate FINE MB’s! But then, find presentation doesn’t hurt either.

Yes! That was the real reason for the posting.

The leather seats on a fine MB with only app 15k miles seems to be showing WEAR. I think this is another reason why I like the “MB tex” vinyl type upholsteries. I’ve seen 120,000 miles, 82,,000 miles, 65,000 miles on vinyl upholstery & it’s not too much different from new.
  • berriberri Posts: 9,873
    I'll go with the red ;)
    henryn said:

Yes, @abacomike has an S-Class (S-450, I think). With the problems he has with the parking space at his condo he just might need a chauffeur like that young lady in the pic we just saw. I'd pay double or even triple dues prices to hear him report on some shopping trips she'd be taking him on. Maybe we could all pitch in so he could get a chauffeur like her. Our pay off would be well worth it. Sign me up right now. ;)

jmonroe
    Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person :o
    berri said:

Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person :o

No problem, @driver100 can convince you that you are. :o

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,593
    15K FL miles is probably like 100K sane world miles. That being said, I didn't notice any worrisome wear, but most people fail to remember to maintain leather.

I am with you about MB Tex, it wears like iron, just keep it clean and it barely ages, one can find junkyard MBs with clean interiors.
    ruking1 said:

The leather seats on a fine MB with only app 15k miles seems to be showing WEAR. I think this is another reason why I like the “MB tex” vinyl type upholsteries. I’ve seen 120,000 miles, 82,,000 miles, 65,000 miles on vinyl upholstery & it’s not too much different from new.

fintail said:

15K FL miles is probably like 100K sane world miles. That being said, I didn't notice any worrisome wear, but most people fail to remember to maintain leather.

I am with you about MB Tex, it wears like iron, just keep it clean and it barely ages, one can find junkyard MBs with clean interiors.

ruking1 said:

Yes, it’s really hard to tell if at 15,000 miles if the 2015 MB S550 has had some to any leather care. The (my) schedule has always been every quarter, six months, leather care is in order. @ Every car wash, a soapy water wipe & clear water rinse is in order.
    ruking1 said:

fintail said:

ruking1 said:

Yes, it’s really hard to tell if at 15,000 miles if the 2015 MB S550 has had some to any leather care. The (my) schedule has always been every quarter, six months, leather care is in order. @ Every car wash, a soapy water wipe & clear water rinse is in order.
    "every car wash" ?? You're forgetting, many people do not wash their cars. Or at best, very infrequently. My cars are washed probably twice a month on average, but I am not the norm.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,315
    My blood is AB positive. It's not very versatile for transfusions for others, but I can receive blood from several other blood types, if I understand how this works.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,995
    Car washing season here starts once the pollen is done in the spring and ends when we start getting (technical term alert) yucky weather in late Sept/early Oct. Right now we have the pollen and if I wanted the cars clean, I could wash every #^%@#$ day. We're into bugs now too... SO glad I don't have a black car right now

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 12,955
    Boy the hits keep coming for Ford. Now I’m hearing they have to recall a bunch of Fusions because some cable in the tranny can fail allowing people to remove the key while still in gear allowing the car to roll away.

My 97’ Chrysler had a recall for the same thing but I never got it fixed because I’m not, you know, stupid. I always put my cars in park before I turn off the engine. Unfortunately one of my son’s friends was less intelligent and knocked the car in gear while parked and it rolled into his garage door. In retrospect I should have got it fixed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,260
    edited May 15
    berri
    Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person

No problem, @driver100 can convince you that you are. :o

jmonro

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Boy the hits keep coming for Ford. Now I’m hearing they have to recall a bunch of Fusions because some cable in the tranny can fail allowing people to remove the key while still in gear allowing the car to roll away.

My 97’ Chrysler had a recall for the same thing but I never got it fixed because I’m not, you know, stupid. I always put my cars in park before I turn off the engine. Unfortunately one of my son’s friends was less intelligent and knocked the car in gear while parked and it rolled into his garage door. In retrospect I should have got it fixed.

Always drive defensively.

Like I was taught, think of the stupidest thing the other guy can do, and then be prepared, because he will probably do it.

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,451
    edited May 15

How was that even possible? I thought all older style automatics prevented the key removal if the shifter was on park, or in case of new ones with electronic shifters, they set to park automatically after ignition is turned off. I know mine does. Or was it there, but it malfunctioned?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,330
    henryn said:
    You guys are a bunch of sexist pigs. Terrible, I say, terrible! B) With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?
    If I had the “dual airbags lady” delivering my S Class to me after service, I would have an oil change on my car every month and put a new battery in my key fob once a week.  I would love developing a closer relationship with my MB dealer if I had a delivery like that.  :D B)

2018 Mercedes S450

• ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,330

My blood is AB positive. It's not very versatile for transfusions for others, but I can receive blood from several other blood types, if I understand how this works.

AB is the universal recipient and O- is the universal donor from what I understand. Mine is O-. Yours is better to have. :smile:

2018 Legacy 3.6R, 2015 Crosstrek, 2015 Forester

edited May 15
    henryn said:

ruking1 said:

fintail said:

ruking1 said:

"every car wash" ?? You're forgetting, many people do not wash their cars. Or at best, very infrequently. My cars are washed probably twice a month on average, but I am not the norm.

No, because what makes me think that someone is going to wash the insides, when they’re not even going to wash the outside or vice versa?
    dino001 said:

How was that even possible? I thought all older style automatics prevented the key removal if the shifter was on park, or in case of new ones with electronic shifters, they set to park automatically after ignition is turned off. I know mine does. Or was it there, but it malfunctioned?
    Can’t speak for the current Ford problem but late 90s Chrysler’s had a plastic part that would wear out allowing the gear lever to be moved at any time. Even if the steering column was locked the shifter could be moved.

Back in the 60s every car could do that. I remember a bunch of jokers going to their friend’s house across the street one night and pulling the shift lever into neutral and rolling his Buick into the road. Caused a lot of commotion as cars started honking at the apparently abandoned vehicle sideways in the street.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,593
    I would condition the seats in my leather cars every 3-6 months. But now both of my cars are Tex, so just a quick wipe here and there, maybe a tougher one now and then for denim rubs on the driver's seat. Couldn't be easier. Leather is nice, but it isn't a big deal for me, I'd choose other toys over it.
    ruking1 said:

edited May 15
    I have a question someone may know. The 2015 GLK is off of warranty :s , so we now pay for the maintenance. It is 4 years old and it has 18000 miles on it. Would you do the full "B" service as recommended every 2 years or 20000 miles ($700 CDN)?;

Mercedes-Benz B-Service

The B-Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately). This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz B-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
    Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
    Oil Filter Replacement
    Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
    Brake Fluid Exchange
    All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
    Tire Inflation Check & Correction
    Brake Component Inspection
    Reset Maintenance Counter

Is there anything you could really leave out?
    btw...now 2 out of 3 of our cars are out of warranty, and mine will be in another year :o

edited May 15
    driver100 said:

I have a question someone may know. The 2015 GLK is off of warranty :s , so we now pay for the maintenance. It is 4 years old and it has 18000 miles on it. Would you do the full "B" service as recommended every 2 years or 20000 miles ($700 CDN)?;

Mercedes-Benz B-Service

The B-Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately). This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz B-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
    Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
    Oil Filter Replacement
    Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
    Brake Fluid Exchange
    All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
    Tire Inflation Check & Correction
    Brake Component Inspection
    Reset Maintenance Counter

Is there anything you could really leave out?
    btw...now 2 out of 3 of our cars are out of warranty, and mine will be in another year :o

My, my, such old cars. Soon you’ll be flipping through Craigslist for old hoopties like me.

If you don’t put a lot of miles on your cars I’d probably go with the calendar schedule rather than the mileage. Seems like a lot of money for what you listed. Since they’re out of warranty why not look into an indie shop?

All I'm really seeing on that list is an oil change, a brake fluid exchange, and a cabin filter. No way is that worth $700 of my money. I would do it myself, or find an independent shop.
    I understand the soon to be released 2020 Ford Explorer is going to offer AtiveX (or some such moniker) seating that is similar to MB Tex. What is this stuff, heavy duty vinyl?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,576
    @driver100,
    If you want to keep the GLK, you might as well have the service done.
    Cheaper than buying a new one.
    You might get a hard lesson on depreciation.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited