Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,713
    @bryan, I like that XTS. If it passed your inspection, I’d offer $30k, maybe as high as $32k. Good luck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,804
    tjc78 said:

ab348 said:

It's a matter of paying now or paying later. The ancient ones are more costly to run but you get 15 to 30+ years of service from them. The new ones are efficient but good luck making them last even 10 years.

I was just saying last night.  All of our kitchen appliances are 8.5 years old now.  I wonder how long before they start giving us trouble. 

Ice maker in fridge is already a little wonky sometimes dripping water down the side of the freezer. 

20 years in our new house.. Replaced first refrigerator at 10 years. 2nd one had a $500 repair at 8 years, but okay since. I'd guess 10-12 years is about average life.

I wouldn't have paid $500 to repair an 8 year old refrigerator, but it's counter depth, stainless steel, and an easy $2000+ for a comparable replacement. I think I'm ahead after 2.5 years of service on the repair.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,034
    All of the appliances in our home are approaching 7 years old. I'm fully expecting them all to crap out at some point in the next 3 years.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
  • au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,553
    Let’s see...house was built in 02 and the dishwasher, oven and microwave are original. I replaced the electric cooktop with gas back in 14 and bought a new fridge in 13 when I moved in. So like you, fully expect the original appliances to crap out any minute!

The really scary one is that we are still on the original hot water heater.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,555
    At the old house, we had a second, older refrigerator in the mud room. I computed the cost of running that thing using one of those hour-watt meters, and it came out to $17 per month.

When I moved into this house, in 2011, I had to buy everything (HUD foreclosure). Refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer. I'm surprised the hot water heater was still there (and it's still working, too, knock on wood). I bought everything used off of Craigslist. The refrigerator (side by side, ice and water in the door) is still working, although I did spend $100 or so on a repair. Stove works great, although very seldom used. The dryer is still working, although I did have to replace the washing machine this year. But after 8 years, I definitely got my money's worth.

The refrigerator cost me $200, the stove $125, the washer and dryer $250. Craigslist is still your best bet for such items (at least in my opinion).

Mostly Home Depot and Lowe's do not stock appliances. Refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc. They have displays on the floor, but no stock. You order, and it gets delivered a few days later. Earlier this year, I went to Home Depot and then Lowes, driving my truck. They both had the washing machine I wanted on the floor, but no stock. No way to "take it home tonight". Which rather p_____ me off, but what are you gonna do?
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
  • breldbreld Posts: 4,401
    Speaking of appliances makes me think I haven't given any update on our house situation here - we are indeed closing on our new house next month, but different than originally planned.

We decided to pass on the house we were originally thinking of - that one was a large two story (plus basement) with a 4-car garage. Beautiful house (@michaell and @jpp75 saw it), but probably more suitable for our younger family 5 years ago.

We instead have opted for a large ranch style home (in the same neighborhood) - when we looked at this one, it just felt right. It already has a finished basement, so there is plenty of room for the entire family when all the kids are home. But with one graduating college next year, and another going to college in a couple years (and the younger to follow a couple years after that), we like the idea of living on one floor and having the basement available to house kids when needed.

It "only" has a 3-car garage, but that did not give me much heartache. It's still one more than I have now. One thing I really appreciate is the garages are all insulated and finished.

We're also going from a "no-yard" situation to a half-acre lot. :o

And...last but not least...our current home is not sold yet. But we're all in and prepared to float both houses for a little bit as needed. :s

2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Audi A5 - 2017 Miata RF

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,188
    tjc78 said:

I was just saying last night.  All of our kitchen appliances are 8.5 years old now.  I wonder how long before they start giving us trouble. 

Ice maker in fridge is already a little wonky sometimes dripping water down the side of the freezer. 

Be careful, or that might cause the hinges to rust and you could have the door come off in your hand like Sandy's did. :open_mouth:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,161

All of the appliances in our home are approaching 7 years old. I'm fully expecting them all to crap out at some point in the next 3 years.

YEAR

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,665
    My parents had an Amana built in fridge with custom cabinet inserts when they built their house in 1999. It required several repairs at it aged, including a new compressor. When it died, they replaced it with a stainless steel built in fridge. 
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,394
    ab348 said:

Be careful, or that might cause the hinges to rust and you could have the door come off in your hand like Sandy's did. :open_mouth:
    It actually never makes it past the first shelf before it freezes.  I think it splashes when it fills 

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• bryanbryan Northern VAPosts: 228
    Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car!

Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So...

I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager.

Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest.

He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,161
    bryan said:

Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car!

Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So...

I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager.

Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest.

He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.

Best thing you can do. Walk away. It has been sitting since November. And it still sits!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,553
    Well, that’s disappointing. It’s a nice car and would be a great road trip car. I have mixed feelings on the ‘one price’ dealers. Doesn’t do any good if that one price is crap. You’d think since they’ve had it since November and we are practically to June there would be some motivation there.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,188
    I'd be shocked if they don't call within a few days.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,340
    Agreed. Patience.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,557
    On the lot for 6 months and they won't budge by under 10%? Either they overpaid, or are insanely patient.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,709
    bryan said:

So I said $33k would be fair, and they offered it for $32.6k but you walked?
    hmmmm...

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

qbrozen said:

bryan said:

So I said $33k would be fair, and they offered it for $32.6k but you walked?
    hmmmm...
    I do appreciate your advice. Thank you. And I strongly considered your advice along with that from other posters who also weighed in. And thanks to them too!

I don't have access to actual auction transactions. Except for what I'm able to glean here and elsewhere. And I recognize that dealers need to make some $$$ to stay in business. And I thought my offer to be a good starting point for negotiations, especially compared to other 2018 XTS Luxury models I considered with no options, like this particular car.

Since the car had been on their lot since November 2018, I thought they might be willing to negotiate. It appears I may have been wrong. And that's okay.

The $1K drop in price was contingent upon me agreeing to purchase without the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. And let's not forget the additional $799 non-negotiable processing fee.

So, IMO, he offered me a $201 discount and NO CPO warranty. Since I normally keep my cars 6-7 years, that CPO warranty, if I purchased it separately, would most likely cost me more than $1K for 6 years/100,000 miles of coverage. And I'm sure the dealer doesn't pay anywhere near what I as a consumer would pay for the same coverage CPO. So I'm not seeing that the dealer's counter offer was any great shakes. So yeah, I walked.

Again, thanks for taking time to provide your sage advice. I sincerely appreciate it.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Posts: 624
     Brian welcome to the group, I don’t think I’ve ever seen postings from you before this is an awesome group of people in here were all like another family.   And thanks for keeping us updated on your Cadillac XTS looking, if this one doesn’t work out I know he’ll find one eventually the work out that you’re happy with or another make and model of car. 
     Proud, thanks for the update on what’s going on with your housing situation good luck and keep us updated and when you close on the new house next month. 
     Went on an interview on Monday at a local Nissan dealership, the woman was nice and all, but I think again my visual impairment keeps getting in the way it seems like an every job interview I go on send the way society is, just venting guys but have to stay positive and keep at it, I called the woman today to follow up because she never called me yesterday but she promised she would, she said oh there were some complications I still have to talk with the guy that she wanted me to come in for the second interview with, so we shall see, keeping my fingers crossed. I still job searching. 
     Send man sorry to hear about the issues you had with the refrigerator breaking, glad you got a new one though I’ll be getting it tomorrow. 
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,821
    au1994 said:

Let’s see...house was built in 02 and the dishwasher, oven and microwave are original. I replaced the electric cooktop with gas back in 14 and bought a new fridge in 13 when I moved in. So like you, fully expect the original appliances to crap out any minute!

The really scary one is that we are still on the original hot water heater.

As long as you keep the anode rod replaced (I replace mine once every two years), there's no reason it shouldn't last a long, long time.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup

Brian welcome to the group, I don’t think I’ve ever seen postings from you before this is an awesome group of people in here were all like another family.   And thanks for keeping us updated on your Cadillac XTS looking, if this one doesn’t work out I know he’ll find one eventually the work out that you’re happy with or another make and model of car. 

Thank you Marco. I appreciate your warm welcome.

I'm in no hurry for a car; I've got four in my fleet now! It'll work out when it's meant to be.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,665
    xwesx said:

As long as you keep the anode rod replaced (I replace mine once every two years), there's no reason it shouldn't last a long, long time.

Seems a bit extreme... Do you have hard water? I try to drain my water heater once or twice a year. My old house still had its original 1994 water heater (and original anode rod) when I sold it in 2015. I think my current water heater is a 2008-ish model.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,709
    bryan said:
    Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car! Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So... I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager. Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest. He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.
    So I said $33k would be fair, and they offered it for $32.6k but you walked? hmmmm...
    I do appreciate your advice. Thank you. And I strongly considered your advice along with that from other posters who also weighed in. And thanks to them too! I don't have access to actual auction transactions. Except for what I'm able to glean here and elsewhere. And I recognize that dealers need to make some $$$ to stay in business. And I thought my offer to be a good starting point for negotiations, especially compared to other 2018 XTS Luxury models I considered with no options, like this particular car. Since the car had been on their lot since November 2018, I thought they might be willing to negotiate. It appears I may have been wrong. And that's okay. The $1K drop in price was contingent upon me agreeing to purchase without the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. And let's not forget the additional $799 non-negotiable processing fee. So, IMO, he offered me a $201 discount and NO CPO warranty. Since I normally keep my cars 6-7 years, that CPO warranty, if I purchased it separately, would most likely cost me more than $1K for 6 years/100,000 miles of coverage. And I'm sure the dealer doesn't pay anywhere near what I as a consumer would pay for the same coverage CPO. So I'm not seeing that the dealer's counter offer was any great shakes. So yeah, I walked. Again, thanks for taking time to provide your sage advice. I sincerely appreciate it.
    Its cool.
    and, you are right, I would not take it without the CPO. I probably, however, would have simply countered I would take their offer of $32.6k but WITH the CPO. Their fee is absurd, but if I figure $33k is fair, then that makes it, essentially, $33k plus a more reasonable $399 fee. 

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,098
    bryan said:
    Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car! Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So... I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager. Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest. He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY5P0TaC4k

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

You are welcome Brian, and yes when it’s meant to be the white car will come along, I noticed no it like everything else in life pretty much. Yes you have a nice size 32 at the moment. 
     At Ryan, just so you know, I am visually impaired, and I use the voice dictation on my phone all the time, and as you can see from the above, it’s definitely not perfect at all. So we will get a laugh and hear from it.