Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited June 2019

More mail from the dealer.

This time they had a “great offer”. Imagine, trade my 15’ Mustang in on a 19’ and get my payment reduced $5 a month. Who could resist that?

Well, anyone who can read I guess. The fine print says the deal is for 72 months instead of the current 60 and at 6.8% interest. My credit union is currently offering 3.1% car loans. Plus they only offer $750 rebate as opposed to the $4k that I got off my current ride at the same time of year. Sounds like a home run for the Ford store.

Wow, I will so not be running out to the dealer today. They should know better than to try that old payment scam on an Edmunds poster.

Well I think you are agreeing cars are WAY more expensive! Money for 3.1% to 6.8% ! ? One aside might be the money providers realize how risky sub-prime car loans can be.

...“About 20 percent of all auto loans currently are subprime or deep subprime,” says Rick Finch, vice president and general manager at LendingTree Auto Division. “Subprime loans are growing, and auto is the fastest segment.”...

I’ve bought any number of cars (after best deal) for ZERO % to half a %, 24 mo to 72 mo. (customers choice). ZERO $’s @ drive off. One car I didn’t particularly want, the dealer offered .9% (almost 1%) . We went @ it for app .5 hr.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,743
    edited June 2019
    That could be true. I’ve got An 850 Equifax score so maybe they figure I’m a safe bet but come on, almost 7% when 5 year treasuries are half that?

I didn’t get top tier credit by falling for stupid payment offers. I only borrow money when the interest rate is lower than my investment returns. Yet some people jump for those 20% buy here pay here loans.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    edited June 2019
    Not sure what got into me today, but after washing the truck, I double cut the front and one side of the yard, did all the edging, an then power washed the deck and railings.
    We are having the house power washed next Friday, but we are having company tomorrow and the deck was just gross, that I decided to clean it.
    Will be paying for all that work over the next couple of days.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited June 2019

That could be true. I’ve got An 850 Equifax score so maybe they figure I’m a safe bet but come on, almost 7% when 5 year treasuries are half that?

I didn’t get top tier credit by falling for stupid payment offers. I only borrow money when the interest rate is lower than my investment returns. Yet some people jump for those 20% buy here pay here loans.

As most (you) probably know, the auto dealer as soon as they see (process) ones’ drivers license (for the test drive) downloads a pick up truck trove of data that then can be used to structure multiple options to sell one a car... or three. It then makes all the sense in the world to come to some type of agreement, especially for the people with so called top tier credit ratings. I don’t know the cut off #’s, but I’ve read that 20% are in that category. The conversations can then get to things like discounts: any OEM, car, financial, local, clubs, daily specials, etc.,?
  • Options

Not sure what got into me today, but after washing the truck, I double cut the front and one side of the yard, did all the edging, an then power washed the deck and railings.
    We are having the house power washed next Friday, but we are having company tomorrow and the deck was just gross, that I decided to clean it.

Can it be that feeling: life is so GOOD!?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    @ruking1,
    You are right, when you can wash your truck, mow your lawn and power wash your deck, life is good. B)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,004

@ruking1,
    You are right, when you can wash your truck, mow your lawn and power wash your deck, life is good. B)

It is better than waiting on tables, growing rice on a rice paddy, picking cherries, cleaning up after elephants, trying to sell life insurance. Life could be much worse.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

Good job!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    On Wednesday Mrs D and I were going to play pickleball.
    We were on a major highway with 3 lanes going west.
    Up ahead we could see dark black smoke billowing up into the air...very dense.
    As we got closer the right lane was moving into the center lane and the center lane was merging into the left lane.
    Pretty jammed up but kept moving slowly.
    When we got about 6 cars close to the smoke we could see a transport truck was on fire, flames shooting up and black smoke billowing up.
    A few cars went through, the next 2 cars in front of me went across the median and tried to get into the traffic heading in the other direction....which looked risky.
    The driver from the truck or his helper was on the left shoulder waving for traffic to stop and wait.
    I am thinking, I am the first car in line, if that truck blows up all the debris is going to fall on us!
    I drove slowly past the civilian (probably the truck driver whose truck probably shouldn't have been on the road) slowly, and once I was in the clear I booted it to get out of there.
    In my rear view mirror I saw others doing the same.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,679
    I remember a few times passing a burning car on the NJ turnpike. they just blocked maybe 1 lane and let traffic keep going. You could feel the heat backing you on the way past.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I remember a few times passing a burning car on the NJ turnpike. they just blocked maybe 1 lane and let traffic keep going. You could feel the heat backing you on the way past.

Nothing like the smell of burning oil and rubber.
    That is another reason for getting out of there, can't imagine that is good for your lungs! After making sure everyone is safe and away from the actual fire.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    ...”Cars will be like TV sets. You used to get them repaired, now it is cheaper, plus you get all the latest technology if you just toss out the old one and buy a new one. Cars have almost reached that point, because they are getting more and more complex to make it cost effective to repair.”... Cars are NOT getting any cheaper, unlike TV sets. The average age of the USA passenger vehicle fleet (11.5 years old, 290.4 M) & 39 M used car sales per year vs 17 M + new car sales absolutely do NOT indicate it’s cheaper to “TOSS”. If anything, new & used cars are becoming LESS affordable. Recycled USA cars are roughly 4.1% per year of the PVF (12 M/290.4 M/2017 NHTSA stats) https://www.thebalancesmb.com/auto-recycling-facts-and-figures-2877933
    The fact that the average age of a car getting older is not necessarily an indication of higher car prices, it could be a result of better designed and built cars. Cars today do last longer than cars in the past, this would definatly age the current fleet.
    I think it’s because I haven’t bought/leased a car in 19 months that the average age of cars is getting older.  Usually, by 19 months, I would have driven 3 new cars.  I am the cause of this!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407
    Speaking of expensive, The latest Car and Driver features a comparison test or a Camaro SS 1LE and a Mustang GT Performance Package 2. Both had an MSRP of over $51k- or only about $1k less than an M240i fitted with most every option. If I wanted any of the three I’d patiently wait for a 1-2 year old CPO. 
    And if I wanted to spend over $51k I’d be looking for a CPO GT350 or M2. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,962
    Do you think that the actual OTD price would be less on the Stang or Camaro?  I’m sure they get a hefty discount and the inevitable domestic manufacturer’s rebates.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited June 2019

Speaking of expensive, The latest Car and Driver features a comparison test or a Camaro SS 1LE and a Mustang GT Performance Package 2. Both had an MSRP of over $51k- or only about $1k less than an M240i fitted with most every option. If I wanted any of the three I’d patiently wait for a 1-2 year old CPO. 
    And if I wanted to spend over $51k I’d be looking for a CPO GT350 or M2. 

That’s getting insane. I posted some Mustang prices in the $70s a while ago. Couldn’t imagine how you could option one up to that price. The thing was the ad never said it was a GT350 or GT500. Now I wished I had looked at the ad closer.

I’m afraid that for all cars we are going back to the days when only the rich could afford them.

When that bag of money falls out of the sky I think a GT350 would suit me just fine.

OK I found the ad. It’s a Roush...I’m guessing stage 3. That explains it.

https://www.depaulaford.com/inventory/new-2019-ford-mustang-roush-rwd-2d-coupe-1fa6p8cf8k5172759

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,749
    At the car show this year, they had an automatic Mustang GT with some sort of performance package (about $4K), and the total MSRP was just over $41K.

It all depends on how much crap you need on a car. This one had one option that I definitely didn't need.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    The top-end Mustang, the Shelby GT350R, starts at $85K in Canada or just over $63K US. If you wanted one breathed on by an aftermarket operation like Hennessey, stratospheric prices are possible.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I read an article where a $84,000 USD MB sports car lost 41% of its value ...in the first year.🤪

This is an op ed, but the big three and foreign cars OEMs will have literal & figurative “COWS”, if/when they don’t fulfill their own goals. However, for this op ed: don’t sell 17. M NEW units. per year. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/total-vehicle-sales

2008,2009,2010 were “disaster” new car sales years.

On the other hand, the 39 M USED car yearly sales continue its upward trajectory, volume, & %.
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Comparing new car sales figures to used car sales figures is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, a car sold is a car sold, and people do cross shop new vs used. But … A car can only be sold new one time. It has to be produced, manufactured, assembled. A lot of people are employed along the way, and then it gets sold one time,, and one time only, as a new car.

Used car sales, on the other hand, are more a matter of “churn”. A used car may be sold many times, many many times. And nothing is manufactured, nothing is produced, no money is made (except by salesmen and dealers).

They are really rather different things, and you should not compare statistics between the two. IMHO.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    abacomike said:

I think it’s because I haven’t bought/leased a car in 19 months that the average age of cars is getting older.  Usually, by 19 months, I would have driven 3 new cars.  I am the cause of this!  :D

Yes, indeed you are, and it's about time you stood up and accepted responsibility. Now that you have, what are you going to do about it???
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    henryn said:

Comparing new car sales figures to used car sales figures is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, a car sold is a car sold, and people do cross shop new vs used. But … A car can only be sold new one time. It has to be produced, manufactured, assembled. A lot of people are employed along the way, and then it gets sold one time,, and one time only, as a new car.

Used car sales, on the other hand, are more a matter of “churn”. A used car may be sold many times, many many times. And nothing is manufactured, nothing is produced, no money is made (except by salesmen and dealers).

They are really rather different things, and you should not compare statistics between the two. IMHO.

The answer to your apples/oranges are yes’ & nos’. To say that a new car can only be produced/built/sold new ONCE is just repeating the new car/sales definition...twice.

So if ones definition says only new car sales employ people & that used car sales are only “churn”, one would be twice x 2’s almost completely wrong. There are far more $ ripple effects with used cars. Minimize either &/or both & ones’ got from local to world wide economic problems.

How to better adjust mirrors? https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

The effects of upsized wheels and tires ? https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15130598/upsized-wheels-tires/
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,179
    edited June 2019

This time they had a “great offer”. Imagine, trade my 15’ Mustang in on a 19’ and get my payment reduced $5 a month. Who could resist that?

Well, anyone who can read I guess. The fine print says the deal is for 72 months instead of the current 60 and at 6.8% interest. My credit union is currently offering 3.1% car loans. Plus they only offer $750 rebate as opposed to the $4k that I got off my current ride at the same time of year. Sounds like a home run for the Ford store.

Wow, I will so not be running out to the dealer today. They should know better than to try that old payment scam on an Edmunds poster.

When I was about to finish my loan on the previous 2012 wagon (a little more than a couple of years ago), my dealer kept sending me "awesome" offers to "lower my payment" with a in-kind new model trade. To their credit, all disclosure were properly printed, although some numbers were a bit convoluted (one could unwind them with some proper math). Never mind I was three or so payments away from end, the biggest insult to me was "top credit tier" requirement, yet the interest was padded up vs. what was available at BMWs website. Not a double, mind you, just one percent, but still. So I'm the "bestest loyal customer" and they send me a padded interest rate vs. easily verifiable consumer rate that was available for same "top tier" from the manufacturer. I really have hard time understanding this approach. Ho uninformed do they think their customers are?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Cars are clearly more expensive. 10-15 years ago it was hard to find Ford Focus that broke 20 grand sticker, today it's not too hard to find one with sticker over $30k. It of course has more stuff inside than those od ones, by all measures it's a better machine. However, considering median income did not go up 50% over those years, it can only mean people spend higher portion of income on a vehicle that they used to. They may be getting more with that higher portion, but at the end something else had to be cut from the budget - most likely retirement savings and emergency fund.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited June 2019
    dino001 said:

When I was about to finish my loan on the previous 2012 wagon (a little more than a couple of years ago), my dealer kept sending me "awesome" offers to "lower my payment" with a in-kind new model trade. To their credit, all disclosure were properly printed, although some numbers were a bit convoluted (one could unwind them with some proper math). Never mind I was three or so payments away from end, the biggest insult to me was "top credit tier" requirement, yet the interest was padded up vs. what was available at BMWs website. Not a double, mind you, just one percent, but still. So I'm the "bestest loyal customer" and they send me a padded interest rate vs. easily verifiable consumer rate that was available for same "top tier" from the manufacturer. I really have hard time understanding this approach. Ho uninformed do they think their customers are?
    I think if BMW? went to the trouble of advertising, pushing that deal, somebody in the BMW? organization is tracking it. (bang for buck, etc.) One could make a counter offer better for one, to see if BMW? will go for it. They package and sell the loans anyway. Why not one with top tier ratings?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    dino001 said:

Cars are clearly more expensive. 10-15 years ago it was hard to find Ford Focus that broke 20 grand sticker, today it's not too hard to find one with sticker over $30k. It of course has more stuff inside than those od ones, by all measures it's a better machine. However, considering median income did not go up 50% over those years, it can only mean people spend higher portion of income on a vehicle that they used to. They may be getting more with that higher portion, but at the end something else had to be cut from the budget - most likely retirement savings and emergency fund.

Indeed! How ANYONE can fail to notice the app 4.5 % year to year upward $’s upward creep is beyond me! 😱🤑

This is purely anecdotal, but I’ve read some articles indicating the 2019 average new car’s sales prices are approximately $34,000-$35,000. The background being possible 2019 new cars sales of 17M +.

I, of course gave the example of a 2004 Honda Civic at $12,365. 2019 Honda Civic app $20,370 MSRP.

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/

If anybody can get a new 2019 Honda Civic (for me) at $12,365 or less, (4 or so miles on the odometer) there’s a steak dinner in it for the effort. 🤑 But I do like the ($35,700 MSRP) type R, 4 door hatch, even @ my age!😜 not that I want either @ this point. Stunning are the lack of takers!?
  • Options
    Most items seem to have gone up about 4X. A car has gone up a lot more than that. I remember my 79 Cutlass cost about $10000, so there may have been a big jump from 75 to 80.
    In 1975 it seems to me if you bought a top of the line model it came complete. Now you buy the top of the line model and you have to add GPS, Sun-roof, special seats, sound package. And cars have more equipment, lane monitors, rear camera, turbos, more complex engines, safety equipment, pollution controls. More people are opting for higher end cars and SUVs too. Growing number of baby boomers are majority of new car buyers....so the statistics are deceiving. But, interesting to look at;

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    henryn said:
    Comparing new car sales figures to used car sales figures is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, a car sold is a car sold, and people do cross shop new vs used. But … A car can only be sold new one time. It has to be produced, manufactured, assembled. A lot of people are employed along the way, and then it gets sold one time,, and one time only, as a new car. Used car sales, on the other hand, are more a matter of “churn”. A used car may be sold many times, many many times. And nothing is manufactured, nothing is produced, no money is made (except by salesmen and dealers). They are really rather different things, and you should not compare statistics between the two. IMHO.
    Comparing new car sales to used car sales is more like comparing apples to chimpanzees!  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    abacomike said:

Comparing new car sales to used car sales is more like comparing apples to chimpanzees!  :o

Did someone say chimpanzees?

This was my favorite ad when I was a little kid in the early '60s. I used to literally roll on the floor laughing.

https://youtu.be/prVRwXAWFeA

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I used to literally roll on the floor laughing.
    You're literally pulling my leg...wait for it. :)

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

abacomike said:

This was my favorite ad when I was a little kid in the early '60s. I used to literally roll on the floor laughing.
    Not sure how much tea they sold because of that ad but it is a great one!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    abacomike said:

henryn said:

Love Ron White! Wait for it.... 1:55 https://youtu.be/UQv7Tr8HbGE
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,637
    abacomike said:

henryn said:

How about walnuts to watermelons.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Gotta love them monkeys🐒 🐵

https://youtu.be/AdeIpLTjD3M

• Options
    edited June 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

henryn said:

jmonroe

How about MBs to Gennies? :p

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

henryn said:

jmonroe

@ 1:55......
  • Options
    driver100 said:
    henryn said:
    Comparing new car sales figures to used car sales figures is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, a car sold is a car sold, and people do cross shop new vs used. But … A car can only be sold new one time. It has to be produced, manufactured, assembled. A lot of people are employed along the way, and then it gets sold one time,, and one time only, as a new car. Used car sales, on the other hand, are more a matter of “churn”. A used car may be sold many times, many many times. And nothing is manufactured, nothing is produced, no money is made (except by salesmen and dealers). They are really rather different things, and you should not compare statistics between the two. IMHO.
    How about walnuts to watermelons. jmonroe

No comparison. Don't worry, you don't have to feel bad, all Benz owners feel that way. :D

jmonroe 

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    No comparison. Don't worry, you don't have to feel bad, all Benz owners feel that way. :D
    jmonroe

What's that saying...you will never feel bad that you paid extra for quality!

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe

What's that saying...you will never feel bad that you paid extra for quality!
    But if you paid extra and they didn't deliver than would be a different story altogether. Also, different people define quality differently. Thankfully, we have a market, at least for now.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    driver100 said:

Most items seem to have gone up about 4X. A car has gone up a lot more than that. I remember my 79 Cutlass cost about $10000, so there may have been a big jump from 75 to 80.
    In 1975 it seems to me if you bought a top of the line model it came complete. Now you buy the top of the line model and you have to add GPS, Sun-roof, special seats, sound package. And cars have more equipment, lane monitors, rear camera, turbos, more complex engines, safety equipment, pollution controls. More people are opting for higher end cars and SUVs too. Growing number of baby boomers are majority of new car buyers....so the statistics are deceiving. But, interesting to look at;

This is a very interesting table. Notice private college price. I'm sure similar figures would go with some medical procedures, or even basic doctor visits or medications. These are so-called "rare goods" (defined by economists as goods where demand grows faster than supply on a sustained basis) go up much faster than goods that are commoditized in nature (food, raw materials, "off-patent" devices). There are also other forces in play - some industries go through decades of consolidation, during which prices are relatively low (weak and "irrational" players keep everybody else in check), then after that consolidation finally happens, the prices shoot up. Think airlines. Seeing some news about car business, I suspect, it's still consolidating, but the process may be near completion. If you count worldwide, it's probably less than 10 individual players of consequence, only because Indian and Chinese entered the scene lately. BTW, botched Renault/Nissan - Fiat merger seems to be in response to long term threat from those Chinese players in some of their markets (not North America).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    I am a little skeptical of some of that (what's the source and their methodology?) simply based on occasionally watching 70s era game shows on Youtube, where cars are the prizes, and my knowledge of leading sellers at the time. I think this data may be more accurate .

Starting comparisons in say 1969 works well, too. An even 50 years, and wage comparisons really show who declared war and who won when the bootstrappers whine about "class warfare".
    driver100 said:

• Options
    Can someone tell me what this abomination is? I’ve never seen it before. Is this a custom chop? If so, why would someone spend the money to chop the top off this?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408

Can someone tell me what this abomination is? I’ve never seen it before. Is this a custom chop? If so, why would someone spend the money to chop the top off this?

A face for radio.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,679
    Nissan Murano cross-cab. I see them around on occasion. Like the similar Range Rover model, you just gotta ask, Why?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's a 2013 Murano CrossCabriolet

It does kind of remind me of when when had that Amatuer Redesign Studio topic where we photoshopped car to customize them :)
  • Options

A face for radio.
    You wouldn't say that if they did that to an Altima and painted it black when they finished the remake. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-oil-demand-scorching-hot-220400786.html

Oil demand is one of the keys to modern civilization?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    fintail said:

I am a little skeptical of some of that (what's the source and their methodology?) simply based on occasionally watching 70s era game shows on Youtube, where cars are the prizes, and my knowledge of leading sellers at the time. I think this data may be more accurate .

Starting comparisons in say 1969 works well, too. An even 50 years, and wage comparisons really show who declared war and who won when the bootstrappers whine about "class warfare".

driver100 said:

Parts of life can be way better to great when folks are on the right sides of incomes/assets power curves?

Mark 14:7, 2000+ years ago talks about the “poor” makes one wax nostalgic about the price of new chariots models?

But look what OR officials do to a poor bear. https://www.yahoo.com/news/young-bear-fed-humans-had-011101352.html

...”On Thursday, when wildlife biologists Kurt License and Doug Kitchen set out to trap and relocate the bear, they received another call that the bear was on the highway near the intersection of Scoggins Valley Road and Herr Road, where individuals had left it food.”...

There Hass to be a Saturday night live skit here “license & kitchen”?
  • Options
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

This is a very interesting table. Notice private college price. I'm sure similar figures would go with some medical procedures, or even basic doctor visits or medications. These are so-called "rare goods" (defined by economists as goods where demand grows faster than supply on a sustained basis) go up much faster than goods that are commoditized in nature (food, raw materials, "off-patent" devices)..
    Some monkeys in the wrench so to speak are things like TV sets have come way down in price comparatively speaking. In my opinion, amazon is a big influence for keeping prices low......so much price sensitive competition. That may change when they are the only game in town.