Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Postwar Studebakers

Comments

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,116
    edited May 2019

Memorial Day 1962. Winner that year, Rodger Ward, received a new Avanti.

Tony Hulman in the front seat; Studebaker president Sherwood Egbert in the back.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Went well with the STP commercials ;)
  • Options
    Unusual '64 ad. I'd not seen it before. I'll assume it was after South Bend shut down production except for engines and some stamping, since no Avanti, Hawk, trucks, or even low-priced Challenger model mentioned. All of those lines were discontinued when South Bend closed and production ramped up in Hamilton, Ontario.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Very interesting, especially “big 15” wheels”. Shows you how far we have gone down the rabbit hole today with 20 inchers, which IMHO is really overkill.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Memorial Day 1962. Winner that year, Rodger Ward, received a new Avanti.

Tony Hulman in the front seat; Studebaker president Sherwood Egbert in the back.

The pagoda has changed a bit :)

• Options
    I bet that was a very fun day.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Favorite year four-door Studebaker--a compact that looks formal in profile and no droopy rear wheel openings; this is a '63 Lark Regal, a low-line Lark, in Green Mist.

• Options
    RE: Indy this year...I read that Clint Hill, Secret Service agent under five presidents and the guy who ran up to the limo on 11/22/63 and pushed Jackie back into the car, was at Indy this year. Do you know if they announced his being there?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,158

Favorite year four-door Studebaker--a compact that looks formal in profile and no droopy rear wheel openings; this is a '63 Lark Regal, a low-line Lark, in Green Mist.

That car's picturesque enough. It deserves a posed picture in front of a wooded background or a pond.
    It's a really pretty car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,561
    Saw this at Cars n Coffee, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited June 2019
    '64 Daytona Sedan, nice car. Where was this? Only year for a Daytona four-door sedan.

The '64's got a lot boxier, and for some reason I like that styling on the two-doors better but in a four-door I like the '63's, even though my '66 resembles the '64 you photographed.

Thanks for posting the pic!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I like the one kyfdx posted and the 59 El Camino across from it. Looks like a maybe 60's Ford pickup as well.
  • Options
    The Ford is a ‘62.

Little Miami Brewing, Milford, OH.

Cars n Coffee, every Saturday morning, in season.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I think the truck belongs to the brewery. Has a keg mounted in the back

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I know this is really pre-war, but I thought it was interesting, as well as a bit weird. On Friday, I was in Denison, Texas (about an hour north of Dallas and close to where I grew up) and I saw this sign on a building:

When I looked in the window of the closed building, I saw they had several older Studes, like the one in the following pic. Nothing on the door about what it was or when or if it was ever open. Just a sign on the exterior and about 6 pre-war Studes. I need to do more research to see if any more info is available. The sign is very cool, I thought. But, the whole thing was really out of place in a small town like Denison.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    The banner on the lamp post features some nice art work and is marked "Studebaker Museum."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    Wow, I didn’t even notice that. Thanks for pointing it out. As they say, if it had been a snake, it would have bit me. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for posting bean; I have never once heard of that place!

That's a '41 or '42 President 'Sedan-Coupe'. I always thought those looked pretty luxurious, with the one-piece curved windshield and side trim that always reminds me of the same-era Lincoln Continental--plain sides with rocker trim when usually cars had a lot of trim up at the belt-level then.
  • Options
    When I saw that sign, which I really like, it truly piqued my curiosity. When I did further research, I found that it’s supposed to be a Stude museum, but has been “coming soon” for over 3 years. No clue as to why the delay.
  • Options
    For your viewing pleasure:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Beautiful.
    And the Chrysler.

Does anyone know the model and year
    for GM wagon in coral and white in the background
    above the tailfin of the Chrysler?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102

Beautiful.
    And the Chrysler.

Does anyone know the model and year
    for GM wagon in coral and white in the background
    above the tailfin of the Chrysler?

There’s not much to go on. I’d guess a ‘57 or ‘58 Olds.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I would guess Buick, maybe ‘57.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting. The Stude is just lovely IMHO. And, I like the color combo.

I read an article once about the '53 Studebaker coupes and hardtops, where the author said the Studebaker was like Rita Hayworth and 'Big Three' cars were like Kate Smith, LOL. (BTW, I am a Kate Smith-booster so no negatives from me, there!).

For the first time, I just saw this very neat clip of Avantis being introduced to Dallas-area dealers in May 1962. I have photos, although dark, of the same introduction show at Cleveland airport, from my friend who was the dealer in my hometown--same cars being driven off airplanes, same 'astronauts', etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICdYuVBooMA&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3ZXzU6BXKDxym4Wy7EX8jzn8qTsn3mVrDxAK5yVK2RXnlpFFdK17hLDMA
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If those had been Chrysler wagons, I'd swear Sky King upsized his plane :D
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,474
    thebean said:

I would guess Buick, maybe ‘57.

I'm pretty sure that it is a '57, but I can't see anything that allows me to choose between Buick and Olds.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Whenever I see how big the dual exhaust outlets are on Avantis, I'm reminded of reading that the president of Studebaker wanted "the loudest mufflers legal". It's comical to look at build sheets and see "Silent Mufflers" as an option!
  • Options
    Understanding that it's not all-encompassing, but this is the immediate detail in my brain associated with Studebaker :)

• Options
    You're not alone. The '50 was the single-best-selling model year of Studebaker automobile--although I can't stand the styling, LOL! (My wife likes them.) The best single model year for corporate profit was 1959.

I'd bet that after the '50-51 bullet-nose models, most non-Stude guys think of the Golden Hawk next. I find that people call any Hawk a 'Golden Hawk'.
  • Options
    The '50 was probably the first car I learned to recognize :)
  • Options
    In 1950 props still reined supreme in the aviation world, so the popularity of that year Studebaker makes sense with the period history to me.
  • Options
    In preparation for, and to give you a heads up on the upcoming comment box changes, I've posted a guide to the new comment box. I've covered everything, where you can find it, how to use it, and what it does. Any questions you might have can be posted here in this thread. Shouldn't be too big of an adjustment. It is simply a settings change on the comment box, NOT a change in the forums software. How you navigate, sign in, and all the rest remains the same. This will get us past the issues some users have had with the links for attaching images and the like. Check it out. Wanted to try and make sure that everyone, especially you folks that make a lot of posts, will be prepared and not surprised when we implement this.

Coming Attractions - Changes to the Comment Box
  • Options
    Update... the new comment box is going live on Friday. Take a peek at the instructions, but for the most part, things will be obvious and you'll be right in the swing of it after 1 or 2 posts. That was my experience in testing it out
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Just a pic I like that I've never seen before today. It's either a '63 or '64. Factory 'Conestoga Camper'.

• Options
    Never really noticed that slanted upper door on the Champ before.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    That reminds me of the first Chevy LUV's, which were a decade later.

I like Champs, as long as they have the wide, long bed, like this one. I really don't care for the old-style bed on them, with exterior fenders, and I strongly dislike the wide, short bed. But I can handle the bed being wider than the cab when it's the long bed. The style of that '58-60 Dodge bed to my eyes actually matches the styling of the Champ cab better than the '58-60 Dodge cab.

Studebaker fabricated a new front piece and stamped "Studebaker" in the tailgate, but also, part of the deal was that they would make all replacement beds for the '58-60 Dodge trucks.

We've talked about this before, but the Champ was America's lowest-priced pickup, and they advertised it as being capable of carrying more than other trucks because it was rated the same but the truck itself weighed less. Sliding rear cab window was an exclusive, as was a 5-speed trans (optional). Even the base trim level had a full-width rear window and was far-more upholstered inside than the typical truck then.

When the '94 Dodge trucks came out, with the prominent grille, my Dad (not really a car guy) said "Looks like a Studebaker". I can't say that, but the Champ did have a large, prominent grille in the center.

I grew up Chevy, but the '60-66 Chevy and GMC trucks don't do a thing for me. The Dodges are interesting to me. I really only like the Ford with the unibody bed. Internationals are interesting to me too; another Indiana maker. :)

I met the guy who engineered the Champ cab and bed, in 1993. His name was Otis Romine. Big, friendly fellow. He kiddingly told me, "I'm happy with the way it came out, considering they gave me about $25 to do it", LOL.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Avantis yesterday on the three-mile high-speed oval of the former Studebaker Proving Ground, 15 miles west of South Bend on US 2 and now owned by Navistar. Chuck Galauner photo.

UPDATE: Sorry; looks like I can no longer post pics here the way I have for a couple years, sigh.

• Options

• Options
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,991

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Still like those better than the Avanti. Actually saw one of those conversion Avanti convertibles today. Top was up - they should have left it down!
  • Options
    No fan of Avanti convertibles, myself.

A 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk is my favorite Studebaker, even though it was the oldest body shell still being used in the industry. I saw the word "dapper" used to describe the cars before and also a good fit for the young guy as sda notes. :)
  • Options
    Liking this Strato Blue '64 Hawk, a color rarely seen on Hawks that year:

http://californiastreets.blogspot.com/2017/07/san-francisco-street-sighting-1964.html
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    First cruise-in of the year for me tonight. I took the factory wire wheelcovers off--they seemed loose to me--and put on the NOS regular full '66 wheelcovers I bought from an old friend for $100. They're not as dressy but I'm no longer concerned with losing one. #26717miles #originalpaintandinterior

• Options
    The seat looks pretty comfy
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Actually, they're not at all, LOL. I'm a fat guy but I bottom-out on them. But they do look plush for a Chevy II/Dart type car.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,991
    Out of curiosity, what are the noise levels in your Cruiser compared to your Cruze? I suspect wind noise is significant in the Cruiser at speeds over 50.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited July 2019
    More engine noise from the Cruze, although the Cruiser is not bad for wind noise at highway speeds. Two of my earlier Studes of this era were hardtops and they definitely had more wind noise than this car. I believe all the rubber is original but is in good condition and I have lubricated them. It is a brick, of course, LOL.

The '64-66 Studes I think don't have an ounce of fat in the styling and I do like that. Same reason I like the '78 two-door Chevy Malibu Classic. :) Generally, but not always, I'm a 'less is more' guy.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I'm thinking about making a trip at some point to the Studebaker Museum....

https://studebakermuseum.org/

Any guesses about how many hours would make for a good visit? c. 2-3?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)