Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

Minor rear end collision in the X1 today. We were at a red light and some younger guy drove his Jetta into us. Minor damage but still really annoying.

Gotta love texting, eh?

Glad it is just a fender bender and no injuries included!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    He swears he wasn't texting and to some extent, I don't care. Thankfully Sam wasn't in the car and thankful it wasn't the Subaru...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@GG man you and your sun. Have had sum bad luck with sum car brands glad. You both have good cars that you both. Like now!

Thanks, Marco. It's all in the past. We both now have a car we both love. So, all's good.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Heading to Baltimore for the weekend. Forecast highs are 101 and 100 F. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    kyfdx said:

Check out the train museum if you get a chance.
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

I might... We are going to an Orioles game on Sunday, a walking tour (!) on Saturday morning, but we'll have to find other things to do. Thought we would be walking around, a lot, but the heat level is incredible. Will need some A/C and cold beer.

And, crab cakes, etc..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    Find a bar with AC and cold beer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Okay, who has an opinion on steamed crabs? Worth the work? Or, just stick to crab cakes and other seafood?
    (keeping in mind, I'll have to learn the technique).

Went to a crawfish boil, last month, and the work vs. food ratio made no sense to me. And, I love shellfish.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Fells Point..... Tons of great bars.

Rusty Scupper has great views of the harbor and decent food.
    If you need a good Breakfast/Brunch spot head to Miss Shirley's. OMG
    There is also a Hard Rock, Bubba Gumps and several other restaurants right on the harbor.
    If you like Mussels and Seafood head to Bertha's.

They have water taxis to take you around the harbor too, if you don't want to walk it all.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

@andres3 - I see why you were hung up on a red S4. Waze re-routed me through 12 (ish) miles of back roads last night due to the insanely heavy Thursday night summer "getaway" traffic. Now these aren't the sweeping canyon back roads like you have out west. They are local, residential streets with low speed limits, lots of turns, curves, ups, & downs. Excellent place to test out what a car's steering and suspension are really made of. My Infiniti Q40 doesn't exactly shine. Anyway, the stunning, red S4 intentionally blew a stop sign (he didn't roll through it or even attempt to slow down) and was in front of me. Luckily I ALWAYS leave room in front of me. The roads were wet. My Infiniti was all over the road when I pushed it. Body roll. Squealing tires. Stability control light flickering. That S4 stayed flat and completely composed. He wasn't going slow either.

Any Audi with quattro and good tires is absolutely hilariously ear to ear grin-inducing in the rain. Just phenomenal defiance of physics . I'll streetlight to streetlight race anyone in the wet, LOL. It's sort of like your average dude trying to race Ussain Bolt during his prime in a 100 meter dash.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Crab cakes all the way. Did a bucket of steamed crabs once and the only reason I finished it was b/c I was a poor college student on spring break. The rest of the table got to enjoy copious amounts of beer waiting on me to finish.

I can do crawdads for some reason. Pinch the head and squeeze the tail. But as a snack or appetizer only.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

nyccarguy said:

Minor rear end collision in the X1 today. We were at a red light and some younger guy drove his Jetta into us. Minor damage but still really annoying.

Glad everyone is OK. Hopefully his insurance will cover everything. The best part of leasing, get it fixed & the "hit" is now BMW's problem.
    But what happens if the "fix" forces you to return 30 to 60 days after the lease expires? Who pays for that, and how much?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    You talk to the leasing company. My guess is they'll let you ground it while it is being repaired.

He swears he wasn't texting and to some extent, I don't care. Thankfully Sam wasn't in the car and thankful it wasn't the Subaru...

Guarantee if he wasn't texting he was changing the radio, dialing a number, or otherwise somehow distracted.
    Looks like work...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

Hate to hear that. Sounds like its minor and everyone is ok. Royal PITA to have to deal with this on a car that’s on its way out. The upside is maybe you’ll get a cool loaner from the dealer.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

The BMW CCRC up this way isn't officially associated with the dealer, so I'm sure there won't be a loaner car.
    kyfdx said:

Looks like work...

So worth it... I don’t do those out. Cook them home if I’m going to eat them

We’ll see. Of course, we’ll be at a crab shack, if we do it

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    A quarter-century ago I was part of a group of 8 guys on a week long golf trip to Myrtle Beach. We went to a seafood place one night for dinner and a few of us ordered soft-shell crab. When it arrived we were befuddled because there was a whole bunch of them piled high and they had a batter all over. It took a while before someone took pity and told us that you were supposed to eat the entire thing, soft shells and all. We didn’t make a big dent in them. I think we stopped at Wendy’s on the way home. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    Man, that would be a bummer. Good thing you found a Wendy's on the way home.

This is the S4 that miraculously somehow meets Carmax standards.

I think they must have one standard when making offers, and an entirely different standard when selling!!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited July 2019

So the A pillars didn't spontaneously explode? ;)

Actually, I have a related question. Is the X1 stop sale only on certain years or vin numbers? Saw a broker just posted one, so it made me curious.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@andres3
    No doubt there is a color difference there.

andres3 said:

I think they must have one standard when making offers, and an entirely different standard when selling!!!

For reference, here's the Germany paint color match of a proper red S4:

I guess you can paint plastic the same as metal after all! What a lame excuse!
    @qbrozen - you mean the B pillars. And no, no spontaneous combustion of the pillar.

I saw that same post with the X1 and I'm not sure, but I did read elsewhere that the stop sale component was lifted. Not sure how or why.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Unacceptable, looks really bad. Did you lose any money returning it? This was some years ago, IIRC, if you return a car within the allowed timeframe, with the exception of sales tax, you are made whole.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Unacceptable, looks really bad. Did you lose any money returning it? This was some years ago, IIRC, if you return a car within the allowed timeframe, with the exception of sales tax, you are made whole.
    No money lost. Just had to fill the gas tank (was given to me full). I suppose I lost my own interest on my down payment, but since I did it within the Carmax return period, they really did live up to the "NO OBLIGATION" model for 7-days.

I returned within 3 days.

After 3 days, your buyout option expires for financing, so if you financed, you'd be responsible for interest charges for up to 7 days. No other fees. They simply unwind the deal.

CA law allows used cars to be sold without a return clause only if the buyer SIGNS IT OFF. However, Audi dealerships charge $500 for the priviledge, so everyone signs off on the return rights! They are allowed to charge, but by law, they have to at least offer a cooling off period. On new car sales no cooling off period requried at any price.
    edited July 2019
    Since pictures are fixed, on the bright side, it's the interior of my new A4 that sold it, so here are some interior shots of the new car (new to me) punch:

I borrowed these from the sales lady that sent them to me via text.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Nice, @andres3. Car looks real clean.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

I might... We are going to an Orioles game on Sunday, a walking tour (!) on Saturday morning, but we'll have to find other things to do. Thought we would be walking around, a lot, but the heat level is incredible. Will need some A/C and cold beer.

And, crab cakes, etc..
    Enjoy the game. Hopefully, the incredibly mediocre Red Sox will beat the very poor Orioles. Unlike tonight, when the Sox were an incredibly poor baseball team. But, still WS champs! For ~3 more months...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @GGYou are welcome, and I agree 100% with your above comment. How’s the weather where you are, hot hot here and even do much outside have to stay inside, what can we do it is what it is. Hopefully you get to a show Wednesday been two or three weeks.g you are welcome, and I agree 100% with your above comment. How’s the weather where you are, hot hot here and even do much outside have to stay inside, what can we do it is what it is. Hopefully you can get to a show Wednesday been two or three weeks. And I’m itching to go to one, and just be in the car.
    @ entrées three, like the red on that 84 that you had from Carmax for three days, I was sleepy couldn’t see the damage Ha ha ha. But the bread was beautiful my top choice and the color. But the one you have now with the blue exterior is beautiful to as well second choice. Enjoy and good luck with it.
    @tJC oh gotcha, for some reason I was thinking maybe you were going out to the Hamptons somewhere glamorous Ha ha ha.
    Sigh. Estimate for the BMW is $885 and person wants to put it through their insurance. Silly even with a $500 deductible.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited July 2019

Sigh. Estimate for the BMW is $885 and person wants to put it through their insurance. Silly even with a $500 deductible.

Not too sharp.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

Whatever. The car will get fixed. Their insurance will give you a car to beat on drive while yours is getting fixed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I can only hope.
    Sigh. His deductible is $500. His premiums for being under 25 and making a claim are going to skyrocket.

I politely said in my email that I’d started the claims process, but that if he wanted to withdraw the claim and save the rate increase, I was amenable to that.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @pensfan83 - glad to see you 2 are spending some quality time with the Prelude!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Sigh. His deductible is $500. His premiums for being under 25 and making a claim are going to skyrocket.

I politely said in my email that I’d started the claims process, but that if he wanted to withdraw the claim and save the rate increase, I was amenable to that.

No deductible on liability. Just collision and comprehensive. Was his car damaged?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

No deductible on liability. Just collision and comprehensive. Was his car damaged?
    I don’t know. Didn’t spend any time looking.
    Crab cakes at Faidley’s.

My wife said we smell like fish and sweat. (Only 97)

I think we are going to skip the steamed crabs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,016
    nyccarguy said:

Every year we close our family plumbing supply business at the end of July for 2 weeks. Today was officially my last day of work until August 5. As the great detective Axel Foley once said: “I’m on vacation!”

With the bar mitzvah getting closer by the day (11/9/2019), we didn’t plan anything too crazy. Doing anything with 5 people gets expensive even when you are on a limited budget. So we decided to head up to Canada. Leaving Monday, we are going to drive to Niagra Falls then head to Toronto on Wednesday and then back home on a Friday. The 2nd week we will just hang around and do local stuff (beach, pool, beach, rinse & repeat).

Sounds like a great trip. I was lucky to see the falls, from the Canadian side, years ago on a business trip.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

did you offer to waive the rental car? I'd pay up to 1K in a heartbeat, but a rental car might make me balk.
    @ 20 firefighter, yes at least the car will get fixed not too bad and the damage estimate. And the main thing is no one was hurt you or Sam your wife or anyone.
    @ New York car guy, thank you for describing the picture above I was going to ask about it. And enjoy your vacation to Canada, that’s exactly where I went over to years ago in Niagara Falls and Toronto I personally loved it. And driving is fun I enjoyed when I went being in the passenger seat even though driving one day is going to happen. And it’s good to weeks away from the business little break well needed.