Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    From 92-94 the Vic and Marquis used different roof lines. The Merc was more formal.

In the box years, I’d agree the Merc was styled nicer.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I see a no-grille Crown Vic in my area now and then. Someone in the office campus where I work has an immaculate dark red maybe 95-96 CV, very well-kept, they are obviously into it.

Back in the day, a friend's dad bought a final run 89 TC, brand new. When I was visiting the area about 5 years ago, the car was still parked at his house - I should see if it is still there now.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    tjc78 said:

I’d take a Marauder over an SS on looks alone... of course I’m the sites only Panther fan so that’s to be expected.

I would too. I cannot begin to express how disappointed I was that the crisp, squared off but dated design of the GM RWD B-bodies turned into the Orca. Never liked any of them. GM reaching its nadir.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,112
    edited July 2019
    I agree with Berri. I never liked how Ford, and sometimes Chrysler, had two ventipanes back-to-back--rear door, then C-pillar. I'm pretty sure we've discussed that here before though.

I remember thumbing through a dealer-only magazine at a Chevy dealer's service dept. waiting area some years back, where they had interviewed both police depts. and taxi owners about Caprices versus Crown Vics. Shock of all shocks, the ones they interviewed said when they'd had both, they had better service (luck?) with the Chevys, with several mentioning the 350 specifically.

Sheesh, now that I think about it...since Chevy got out of that field with the '96's, what I'm remembering is at least 23 years ago!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    Tjc you are not the only Panther fan on this site. I have had my 07 GM LS for a few years. Bought it from the estate of 92 year old guy that bought it new. It had 68k miles then and just turned over 100k and came with a thick stack of dealer service records. I need a couple of new knees and most cars are not very comfortable as it helps to extend my legs straight out as I can in this one. The adjustable pedals help with that.
    MPG is certainly not like a hybrid, but 25 MPG at 75+ MPH on highway is not bad for a car of its size.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    texases said:

There's a handful of cars that, when released, I just had to look at, constantly. The Taurus was one of them.

I admired the first Taurus for its design, but back then-as today-big FWD sedans have never interested me.
    Still, it was a stunning change, considering that most all late'70s and early '80s Ford products were styled with a t-square.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Not fun.

The profile shot on that car is captivating, though!
    jwm40517 said:

Tjc you are not the only Panther fan on this site. I have had my 07 GM LS for a few years. Bought it from the estate of 92 year old guy that bought it new. It had 68k miles then and just turned over 100k and came with a thick stack of dealer service records. I need a couple of new knees and most cars are not very comfortable as it helps to extend my legs straight out as I can in this one. The adjustable pedals help with that.
    MPG is certainly not like a hybrid, but 25 MPG at 75+ MPH on highway is not bad for a car of its size.

I had one of those (same year and model) for a rental for a week, and I was shocked at the fuel economy for a car that large! I don't recall what it was now, but upwards of 30 mpg. I figured upper teens on a good day!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Considering the Impala SS was only produced from 1994-96 and did GM have any RWD sedans by 2003(?), not so sure about the copycat thing.
    Mercury probably made the argument, you won't let us have a Mustang model, at least give the Mach 1 engine.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    High-performance RWD full-size four-door sedan, old platform, dark colors, minimal brightwork, big tires and wheels, performance engine...no disrespect, but I don't know how anyone could not see it as a copy.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    @uplanderguy,
    So you think that was an original idea?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Who did it before the Impala SS? I mean, they were in the same slot in both company's lineups.

I didn't have to Google very hard to see various sites and discussions comparing the two cars, and I found this in a Hagerty article (although I can't or won't vouch for the production numbers they mention):

Lasting Influence

Mercury tried to emulate the Impala SS formula with the 2003-2004 Marauder, but it was a sales failure with just 11,000 sold.

I'm not saying the Impala was better, by any stretch, but I think the concepts are nearly identical.
  • Options
    Saw an STS-V this evening, looked to be in good condition but the clear bra was peeling. Competing with AMG and M is not easy.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Saw an STS-V this evening, looked to be in good condition but the clear bra was peeling. Competing with AMG and M is not easy.

That was a car even I was not brave enough to go near despite how appealing it might have seemed. The normal STS was rare enough here, but a dealer had a used V that was a couple of years old on their lot some years back that I remember looking at. I seem to recall they were asking just under $40K at the time. It looked like fun until you had to go to the service department with it. I never saw it again so maybe they sold it to a distant buyer.

• Options
    I didn't know they were a maintenance chore. It would be amusing if the one place where it equals the Germans was in the pain of maintenance arena. I did notice it had HUD. Probably in the 4 digit range now.

On the road yesterday evening, series II E-Type roadster.
    ab348 said:

That was a car even I was not brave enough to go near despite how appealing it might have seemed. The normal STS was rare enough here, but a dealer had a used V that was a couple of years old on their lot some years back that I remember looking at. I seem to recall they were asking just under $40K at the time. It looked like fun until you had to go to the service department with it. I never saw it again so maybe they sold it to a distant buyer.

• Options
    fintail said:

I didn't know they were a maintenance chore. It would be amusing if the one place where it equals the Germans was in the pain of maintenance arena. I did notice it had HUD. Probably in the 4 digit range now.

A 469HP Northstar supercharged V-8, what could possibly go wrong?

I believe HUD was standard on these. The one I saw was silver with gray leather inside, looked nice but with only 2500 made over 4 years of production I imagine parts are unobtainium.

• Options
    @uplanderguy,
    It's been done many times. How 50's Olds Rocket 88?
  • Options
    Was the STS-V still the troublesome Northstar or had they been updated?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Northstar. Latter -V Caddys used the Corvette's engine, didn't they?
  • Options
    Sorry, explorer4, not gettin' that at all. And that's OK!
  • Options
    texases said:

Northstar. Latter -V Caddys used the Corvette's engine, didn't they?

Ones like the CTS-V used the Vette engine. ATS-V used a twin turbo V-6. And the CT6-V used the new Blackwing V-8, or will when they finally release it.

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

I’d take a Marauder over an SS on looks alone... of course I’m the sites only Panther fan so that’s to be expected.

I would too. I cannot begin to express how disappointed I was that the crisp, squared off but dated design of the GM RWD B-bodies turned into the Orca. Never liked any of them. GM reaching its nadir.
    I thought the 1991 Caprice was a mess, mostly from the B-pillar back. From the front to the back, it seems okay for the most part...not gorgeous, but not hideous either, but then suddenly it's like the stylists took a break, snorted a few lines of coke, and then went back to work and tried to design the rest.

When they opened up the rear wheel wells and widened the rear track for 1993, it helped a lot. And in '95, with the little up-kick to the rear quarter windows, it helped even more. But, even with styling details like that, there was just too much wrong, IMO, with the basic proportioning of the car. In profile, I think the passenger cabin was too big in relation to the rest of the car. The beltline is also too low, throwing off the proportion of window glass to metal on the doors. It does give you an airier interior, but still just doesn't look "right" to me. and, the way the body bows out toward the middle, but tapers at the front and rear, makes it look fatter.

I think the Roadmaster looked better, in some respects, but still had bad proportioning in my opinion. The Fleetwood's proportioning (hood to passenger cabin to trunk at least) was better still, but they all still had that low beltline, and the fat looking midsection. Ford did a much better job, in my opinion, with the Panthers. I actually liked the '92-97 era, when they gave the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis different rooflines. I thought it was fitting for the market of the cars, with one that was supposed to be more mainstream, and one that was supposed to be more formal and a bit more upscale.

My only real issue with the Panthers is that, in later years, it seemed like they were cost-cutting, and the interiors were getting dated, and cheaper looking. Even a Town Car seemed like it was just a taxi with leather seats thrown in after the fact. I remember Lemko used to start twisting their slogan around to "Lincoln: What a Mercury SHOULD Be!"

• Options
    I rode in a lot of Crown Vic taxis and never failed to notice the cheapness of parts of the interior, especially the perpetually squeaky plastic door panels. Lincolns seemed to do better in that respect.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    My in-laws (Florida) had a beige 'Signature Series' Town Car; early 2000's vintage I'd say--the last Town Car iteration; rounded styling. Didn't look bad to me, but I seem to remember the pull handles on the doors inside, being all plastic (as opposed to having metal fasteners on the edge, for a little brightwork). I also remember the driver's door interior door panel visibly flexing when the window went up and down.

There is no doubt Cadillac started cheaping out in interiors, in my opinion with the '92 Eldorado and Seville (although I liked the exterior of that Seville a lot).

I always liked, I guess through the '80's anyway, how GM power window switches were a chromed, metal, substantial looking little piece. Same with power door lock buttons, and the metal on both ends of door straps.

Wasn't following Cadillac much those years, but the small detail quality-looking things I remember were apparently last-used on the RWD G-and B-bodies through the late '80's. Seems like FWD changed all that at GM, LOL.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I always liked, I guess through the '80's anyway, how GM power window switches were a chromed, metal, substantial looking little piece. Same with power door lock buttons, and the metal on both ends of door straps.

I remember that piece breaking on my '85 Silverado, but it was common enough that I was able to get it, in stock, at the local dealer. I can still remember the price...$41.40. Oddly, the exact same amount as the property tax on 10 acres of rural mountainside that my family owns down in an almost worthless area of south west Virginia. At least, at the time. Tax bill is around $230 per year now. I dunno what that part might cost these days. That was probably over a decade ago, now.

Interestingly, it was the same part as my '76 Grand LeMans coupe. And, one day, I happened to discover, at the local Advance Auto, AutoZone, or whatever store, in their generic "HELP!" section where you can find common replacement parts, a knockoff of that same part, for like 10 bucks.

On the subject of cheapening, my 2000 Park Ave reeked of cost-cutting. Especially if you compared it to the 1991-96 style. I think the car was more attractive overall, and it felt a bit more substantial, but just didn't seem to be put together as well, and the interior was more plasticky.

As for my Dad's '03 Regal, I kind of hated the interior when he first got it, because it just seemed too cheap for almost ANY car, let alone a Buick! But, after all these years, plus me driving it for over two years now, I just sort of got used to it. I always hated the seat pattern, because it made me think of a burlap sack and just looked like it would be scratchy. But, it's actually fairly comfortable to the touch. And, I guess most cars these days have eschewed the carpeting and thick, voluptuous padding on the door panels for a more stark, simplistic theming. So looking at the car through modern standards, rather than when it was built, I guess in some ways it doesn't seem so bad.

• Options
    Recently saw this at work, I guess around a 60 model. Pic taken from 8 floors up, so not the clearest:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Saw a pastel powder blue early Fairlady roadster going about 55 on 167 this afternoon, looked brand new, obviously restored. Tiny.
  • Options
    I saw a weathered '65 Ford Fairlane 500 two-door hardtop, may have been a "Sports Coupe", in a light yellow with white roof and decklid. :) Aftermarket wheels.

I used to always like those cars, as they were mostly a one-year design, but this one made me realize I don't think the styling's stood the test of time very well.
  • Options
    Saw a nicely restored MG TF parked on a residential street here yesterday.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Something different about this one

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Nicest one on the planet, I’d guess

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The floodgates are open from Japan.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I liked the Datsun Fairlady's; 1600 or 2000 I think, the latter with a larger engine and 5 speed IIRC. No way would I fit in one though.
  • Options
    Don't know where the car show is, but wonder if a military brought in the RHD?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Saw this tonight for the first time in a long time. It cracked me up. "Ernestine Calls General Motors".

I agree with the person who posted under it on YouTube, "Either I'm really old or this bit has aged really well".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4__Nz5HWY
  • Options
    IMHO, the original Fiero had good styling. I never liked the pseudo-Ferrari looking later models, but I'm thinking in the one called the 'Formula' you could still get this basic styling with the V6 in later years.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I liked the later ones a lot more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Fieros still make me think of Jeanie Bueller more than anything else. That and my little brother thought they were Ferraris back in the day, due to the similar name (and he was a little kid) - bet the iron duke would change his mind.
  • Options
    I sorta wish GM would've stuck with the composite body panels. Around here, even thirty-some years later, they look decent with no apparent paint-adhesion issues.
  • Options
    berri said:

Don't know where the car show is, but wonder if a military brought in the RHD?

Once cars are 25 yrs old, anyone can import them. So, a lot of early '90s models are coming in, now. Not too hard to find a broker.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You all would be so proud of me. Yesterday, I saw this '84 Parisienne for sale along the highway...

Once upon a time, I would have LOVED something like this, and been all over it. But, this time, I just looked at it, though, eh, it's kinda nice, took the pics, and moved on. Also, the $6,000 "firm" price didn't help. I don't know how many miles it had on it, but the sign said something like "too much new to list". It looked re-painted to me, which isn't too out of line for a car that old. But, sometimes I wonder how long a repaint will hold up, depending on the quality.

Oh, I also got the DeSoto out for a bit, and got this pic of it...
    It was a little cranky, starting up, but admittedly I let it sit for awhile.

• Options
    I do like that DeSoto. The Pontiac you showed, as well as Buick, has a nice dash layout for its time.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    andre1969 said:

It was a little cranky, starting up, but admittedly I let it sit for awhile.

Cranky is a good thing on old cars like that. It's more a problem when they don't crank at all. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    The DeSoto looks great! The color reminds me of 1956 Packard's "Scottish Heather".

Those Parisiennes didn't do much for me, as they were so clearly a Caprice Classic with extremely little differentiation. In fact, the instrument panels were straight Caprice Classic.

I generally don't like skirts and chrome halfway up the bottom, but whatever year they started doing that to the Parisienne certainly did make it look different than the Caprice Classic.
  • Options
    DeSoto looks good, she deserves a polish and wax now B)
  • Options

The DeSoto looks great! The color reminds me of 1956 Packard's "Scottish Heather".

Those Parisiennes didn't do much for me, as they were so clearly a Caprice Classic with extremely little differentiation. In fact, the instrument panels were straight Caprice Classic.

I generally don't like skirts and chrome halfway up the bottom, but whatever year they started doing that to the Parisienne certainly did make it look different than the Caprice Classic.

Thanks! I forget what Mopar called this particular hue. The DeSoto paint chart has two reddish colors..."Fiesta Red" and "Mandarin Rust". I question though, whether it was a good idea to use the word "rust" in any sort of marketing pertaining to a 1957 Mopar, though!

As for the 83-84 Parisienne, in some ways it wasn't even a Caprice...that rear was a modification of the Impala! About the only difference in the dash, as I recall, was that the Parisienne had four round gauges, so you could pretend it was a '64 GTO if you had a vivid enough imagination. I remember the Caprice/Impala having two different setups. One had a long strip speedometer in the middle, which was flanked by either a circular gauge on either side, or a rectangular. Or there was another setup that had four square gauges, of equal size. Of course, most of the "gauges" were actually idiot lights...

It was 1985-86 that the Parisienne got the rear treatment that made it look more like an '80-81 Bonneville. I can't remember if the skirts were standard or not, though. I think I've seen them both ways, although skirted is much more common. I guess it's possible some of the cars I've seen just had the skirts removed?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    In '84 the optional gauge package on the Caprice was still round gauges. The Chevy and Pontiac both had that era's bad woodgrain but did have the gloss black panel above the glovebox, which dated back to '77 and which I liked. The square ones started in '85....I'm pretty sure. Too lazy to look. I think I'm pretty sure because my Dad was deciding between an '84 Monte Carlo or an '84 Caprice Classic coupe, both in that firethorn-y color although I don't think it was called that by then. He bought the Monte, but I remember looking closely at the Caprice. It had the unusual notchback bench seat with folding armrest in front. Seems like I saw more that had the same seat pattern but in the 50/50 seat.

I can't recall if a base model later Parisienne had skirts or not, but I'm sorta thinking they all did in '85 or later.
  • Options
    I remember test driving a Parisienne like that in '97 when I was looking for an inexpensive used car. It was advertised in the newspaper classifieds (remember that?) and was about 40-50 miles out of town. I went and it actually looked really good and drove fine. But on the test drive I stopped to look underneath it and it was absolutely coated in shiny black goop of some sort, maybe "grease and graphite" which was popular here at the time, and which made me wonder what it was hiding. Then I found a package of welding rods under the front seat and I figured it had been subject to rust repairs underneath, and the seller gave me a feeling he wasn't being totally forthcoming, so I passed. But it was very nice inside.