Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    @28firefighter , where will the car be stored when they are not in Seattle?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Yes, but they're here WAY more than they originally had planned - initial thought was 6-8 weeks a year. So far this year it's been like 17 or 18. Which is great for Sam and getting lots of family time, but untenable for us in terms of sharing.

Wouldn't it be less expensive for them to rent a car when they are in Seattle?

The way I'm looking at it is this - $310/mo for 12 months is $3720. Divide that by the 18 weeks they are in town and that's just over $200/week. I'm sure they could rent something for that rate.

Not to mention insurance and storage costs.

What am I missing here?
    They ran the numbers and came to the conclusion they could not.

In the off season $200/week is doable. But from May-September during cruise season, rentals can run as high as $500/week, esp for an SUV. They're here quite a bit during the summer.
    Do they need to rent an SUV?

Hey, it's not my money, and I've got no skin in the game, I'm just genuinely curious.

But, I'm glad Sam gets to see his grandparents as much as he does. I only saw my paternal grandparents a handful of times in my life - I grew up in CA, while they lived in NY.
    Believe me - I've had this same conversation because I think its a bit much, but their perception is they need an SUV to "move things."

I'm glad he gets so much time with them - but its hard, as he only sees my parents in person a few times a year. Thankfully we FaceTime 4-5 times a week with them and my siblings, but it is still hard.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited October 2019
    ab348 said:

@28firefighter , where will the car be stored when they are not in Seattle?

In their condo garage - which is why I lost my Saab parking space.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I like this. Would be nicer if the color were darker. I believe this is one of Terry's dealerships too.

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/used-Freeport-2016-BMW-2+Series-2dr+Cpe+M235i+xDrive+AWD-WBA1J9C51GV696486

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

What's not to like!?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Just the absurdly skinny sidewalls and somber black hole interior! And the price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Just the absurdly skinny sidewalls and somber black hole interior! And the price.

How much is one of these new? $50K?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Closer to 60k, I think, depending on options.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

I’d guess closer to $50K in 2016.

Price seems high to me, for a 4 yr old car..

Of course, I want RWD and a stick... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Then it would be more expensive due to the fact that it is a "RARE 6-SPEED!" + "LOW MILEAGE!" + "EXTRA CLEAN!" + "CERTIFIED!"

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    kyfdx said:

Seemed high to me, too, but auction results are about $29k. Yikes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    nyccarguy said:

I like this. Would be nicer if the color were darker. I believe this is one of Terry's dealerships too.

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/used-Freeport-2016-BMW-2+Series-2dr+Cpe+M235i+xDrive+AWD-WBA1J9C51GV696486

HUH? How much darker do you want it? If it was any darker it would be black. I call that 'old man's gray'. I otta know because my '15 Genny is that color also has a black interior. Being in that thing is like being in a cave when someone turned off the lights. I don't like it to this day but I ain't getting rid of it anytime soon, it just turned 8,600 miles yesterday. Mrs. j would kill me if I even mentioned that. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    That gray 328i is gone already which is not surprising. Great price with average miles for the year. Car looked very clean though I never even got to sit in it. I knew before Stick said anything that it's a bit too long for my requirements and I still prefer a hatch right now, very versatile for my needs currently.
    Got to drive the kids Cruze last night and I like it. It does everything she needs...and then some and is nicely equipped. Think the 18" alloys are a bit overkill but they do look great. She's thrilled with it and getting excellent mpg's!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    If the price is right I'm not going to protest too much but I'd really like to move away from a black interior after the Acura goes back. I may or may not have mentioned this before but the last non-black interior I had was my 4th gen Accord.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

If the price is right I'm not going to protest too much but I'd really like to move away from a black interior after the Acura goes back. I may or may not have mentioned this before but the last non-black interior I had was my 4th gen Accord.

I need black carpets. Beige interior with beige carpet and beige dash? No thanks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I keep saying no more black interiors. then I get another one. I rationalized this one because it is Alcantara seating surfaces. And has some red trim (Elantra did too). Plus, that was the only way to get it (wife was never approving the lipstick red leather).

I do like the dark carpets and lower dash, with lighter seats and upper dash and headliner. That is a good mix

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

I need black carpets. Beige interior with beige carpet and beige dash? No thanks.
    I couldn't do that combo either but I would like at least a splash of some color whether it be seating surfaces, headliner, dash, etc. If I could have customized my car I would have taken a TLX in red with black carpets, but the espresso leather and lighter headliner.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,685
    I'm gonna look for non-black interior next, too. While my XF has black, it's a bit broken up by a wide swath of aluminium and wood veneer on the dash and doors. Lighter headliner, too, so not as sepulchral as black interiors of many BMWs, MBs, Porsche and Audis I've seen.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

HUH? How much darker do you want it? If it was any darker it would be black. I call that 'old man's gray'. I otta know because my '15 Genny is that color also has a black interior. Being in that thing is like being in a cave when someone turned off the lights. I don't like it to this day but I ain't getting rid of it anytime soon, it just turned 8,600 miles yesterday. Mrs. j would kill me if I even mentioned that. :'(

jmonroe
    If it was any darker it would be black Exactly! That's what I want!

My wife's car has black carpets and dash, and a caramel color leather seating. Looks great, I think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    DOWN WITH BLACK INTERIORS!!! Who's with me?!? :laughing:

I was actually pleased to see a very nice, very light interior (with some black accents incl. carpets) in the Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    edited October 2019
    That looks just like my car interior.

First car I had like that was my 09 Genesis. I too like the dark carpets, light seats and dash.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The new Hyundai Revue will be out soon, saw it on a commercial last night. I'm kinda interested in it also to be honest. Especially the "denim edition" model. A bit smaller than what Ive got now but has that "cheap to keep" that I'm after. The long warranty is nice to.
    Drove a 2019 Tucson yesterday afternoon and it had push button start. Drove very nicely but prefer the looks of the Sportage. The Rogue Sport is o k, a co-worker's wife has one in gray over black and it's a good looking CUV. Like the Kicks also and do plan to drive one soon. The CH-R has a pretty large blind spot in back and pretty dark with the black interior, a lighter interior might brighten things up.
    I'd love a new Rav4 but again, a bit too big for my size requirements I'm thinking. And keep in mind on the GLA, it's pretty damn thirsty and I brought mine back to Enterprise after 3 days and got a Rav4 which was better with the petrol.
    Have discussed leasing but still doing around 13K/year of driving so makes more sense to buy. Will be at around 61K by December 12th, when I'll have had my current Golf for five years.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

My Golf has a similar interior and love it. A few smallish marks in almost five years but not too bad really. A black pleather interior down here in South Florida is super hot in the long summers we have and one tends to sweat a lot very quickly. My ivory seats don't do this and are much more comfortable. I don't mind a gray interior either but if it's all black, it's not coming home with me.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    Getting close to retirement age, but not ready for condo living.
    Yard is some work, but I'd still rather have it than not.
    Down sizing the # of vehicles will be a challenge, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I want to downsize, but probably still a single. Just smaller yard. But not smaller garage! I only want to downsize the house SF, yard to mow, and space to store the wife's "stuff"

I actually want a better set-up to create an extra off street parking spot that does not block the garage.

Want to downsize but keep a 2-car garage. Minimal lawn for lawn guy to cut. Still keep two vehicles. And enough parking when the kids come home for weekends/vacations. Would like a 3/2.5 with around 1500 square feet, condo or house. Probably stay in Florida but west coast or around Orlando. Spend around $260K, give or take.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    The X has black leather with carbon fiber inserts, and a black alcantara headliner. It avoids cave status by having a ginormous windshield combined with glass on the roof. It actually looks pretty nice IMHO.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Brown suits the wagon perfectly:

Just bought my 'retirement' car a week ago Saturday.
    Interior colors pretty much look like a combo of the Mercedes and the Palisade.
    Looking for a 3/2 ranch with 3 bay garage and basement.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

Just bought my 'retirement' car a week ago Saturday.
    Interior colors pretty much look like a combo of the Mercedes and the Palisade.
    Looking for a 3/2 ranch with 3 bay garage and basement.

Did I miss a punch? Details please.
    @corvette,
    Haven't really posted in the is thread.
    Bought a 2019 Lincoln MKZ AWD Reserve 1 with Reserve upgrade package.
    Black with cappuccino colored interior.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I like that color combo. Very similar to my Volt, although it’s a white exterior.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I'm still waiting for the Fusion I traded in to actually be for sale on the dealer website.
    Probably waiting for the title paperwork to clear before listing a price and putting up pictures.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    kyfdx said:

My wife's car has black carpets and dash, and a caramel color leather seating. Looks great, I think.

The '18 Legacy I got for Mrs. j in April has a burgundy exterior with beige seats, black carpets and black dash. I like that color combo much better than my '15 Genny with the 'old man's gray' exterior and everything black interior. Since April I have gotten at least 10 "nice car" comments while driving her car. Still waiting for someone other than my across the street neighbor who likes the color of my Genny. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Burgundy over beige is a great combo. I would love that for the next car.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    suydam said:

Gotta disagree with you on one point, Sandy. If I made a reservation and was promised a car, and was told “they just ran out”, that would be the last time I’d use that company. And Hertz costs more too, so you expect better service. Not even the cheap companies like Budget or Dollar have done that to me.

Thrifty did that to me once in ATL, the weekend before Xmas. First they said "go straight to your car" but it turned out it wasn't mine, but some guy with the same name from TEXAS! My name isn't even that common! Then they claimed they were 150 cars short! Tried to set me up with some other off-brand company that was across two Interstates, and when I got out there they told me they would be closed on Xmas Day so we wouldn't be able to return their Daewoo then. Soooo they hauled us back to the airport, and instead of calling a hotel shuttle and dealing with car rental the next morning, I decided to try my luck as a walk-up and Budget had me leaving their lot in a car in 20 minutes. Thrifty sent me a check for the difference in rental costs, and a voucher for a free weekend rental which is the only other time I would ever use them. Since then I think I have rented a couple from Budget and one from Avis, but it's been almost entirely Hertz.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    stickguy said:

I would lose my **** if that happened. Once they accepted the reservation, there better be a car there, or get me one real quick.

A la Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles...
    stickguy said:

the blue on that MB really is something. The Audi is attractive, but the interior tech is a bit old fashioned. Kinda reminds me of a better quipped version of our RDX. At this point unless I was shopping the really cheap end of the spectrum (like QB with the Equinox) I don't want to get a prior generation model and regret not having the latest goodies. My wife even comments that the RDX looks/smells like an "old car" now. But she still likes it (paid for, and she knows how to use everything, since there is not much to use).

Same dilemma I had with the Volvo V60CC I found (2018). Compared to the new models, it looked like an antique inside. But it was a lot cheaper! Just hard to commit to something for a long time, if it already feels outdated at the beginning.

The two cars in my household are both the last year before some major tech upgrades, and we like it that way! My RDX is a Tech package, but 99% of the time I'm content to let the display screen go dark after 60 seconds by not touching "OK" to acknowledge that I'm supposed to watch the road and not the screen.
    we don't have the tech package so the RDX is really old fashioned.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ Sandman, the new Hyundai venue is out, I saw a commercial for it on TV earlier. And I thought of you and I said I’ve been meeting to post in here for the past two days anyway and catch up, glad you were driving your daughter’s new cruise keep on doing the car shopping and looking and you’ll find something you like. How’s everyone’s week been going? So far so good, Jim, job searching and making the best of every day. Looking for a driver for next year‘s car show season someone reliable, can’t just be on my cousin all the time not fair to him, or me.
    @ explore for, nice to see you back in here and congratulations on the punch of the Lincoln MKC, sounds like a lovely colors. Except exterior of Jet and Brad or Blue personally.
    @ Corvette, glad the light went out when you canceled on star.
    @ 20 fire fighter, congratulations to your parents and Luis Avenue Mercedes SUV, said you have to lose your garage space but it is what it is.
    Like the corner in red blue they even have a nice orange.
    @jfloid1 congratulations to your daughter I’m getting the scholarship so happy for you and the family.
    @ belt, enjoy your cruise when you come back I’m sure you’ll make a punch, yes you’ve been slacking this year ha ha. Got to catch up and get back to your old record.
    +2 Stick. Think my Golf would look just great in that same combo but the red VW uses is really more of a Candy Apple Red and didn't appeal to me at the time. To be fair, they didn't have a Golf SE or SEL in that color over the ivory when I was looking or I might've been tempted.
    @Marco, have seen that same commercial on the tube but nothing in person. The Hyundai store is right across the street but nothing there or in their online inventory as of late. Again, the guys at the Hyundai store in Weston Florida that we service told me since the new 2020 Sonata was having some issues so it's debut was pushed back which pushed the start date of the 2020 being introduced. The Miami International Car Show starts on the 1st, a Friday which is also my 65th birthday, down at the Miami Convention Center. Seriously considering going this year, will be the first in many years. Plan on taking that day off, already got the green light, and going to the show. Did that back in 2009, the last show I attended as I recall. The wife mentioned coming with me but wold have to go on Saturday or Sunday. Not sure how serious she really is about joining me but if she really is, I'll just wait for her. Really want to see the new 2020 Hyundai Venue and the 2020 Honda HR-V...both on my short list. Sitting in the 2020 Toyota Corolla hatch rounds out the top 3 of that same list. Like the "denim edition" of the Venue and want all the safety nannies and a rocking audio system. I think one of these three vehicles cold make me trade my Golf in for it but we'll have to see after some extensive time behind the wheel. Am genuinely excited about these three vehicles and really the first time since I picked up the Golf in December of 2014. Really genuinely excited. Love the size and interior of the Honda in either the EX or EX-L models with an ivory interior.
    But some good seat time behind each wheel is needed before I even think to pull the trigger on something new. A better plan is probably to wait till I finally retire from Hertz and then purchase one, be it a 2020 or 2021 model. My commute is averaging 13K/year which is a lot even though it's 98% highway plus the tolls I have on the nearby Sawgrass Expressway. Would rather not put that many miles on a brand new vehicle or even a loaner if I go in that direction.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Tech? Antiquated? I don’t have those problems. My current crop of running vehicles have power steering, power brakes, power windows and door locks, and ... wait for it ... cruise control! Marvels of modern technology, the lot of them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    My 1963 has no PS, no PB, crank windows, manual door locks, foot control for speed, no AC and a four speed manual but strangely I am grinning ear to ear when I drive it.

My daughter had her interview for the Lilly endowment scholarship last night. She was interviewed by five people for 30 minutes and described the experience as “fun”. She is just like her grandpa and could talk to a wall for 30 minutes.