Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,038
    Okay. So some thoughts on the Philly Auto Show.

Like I said yesterday, it is a shell of its former self. It is now down to one floor in the main exhibition hall of the convention center and then the room off the Marriott across the sky bridge. Notable absences included MB, BMW, and Mini. Even worse, of the brands there, there wasn’t much in the way of concept cars, future models etc.

My Dad’s lease on his Stelvio is up in July so he’s shopping for a replacement. He’s seriously considering one of the Tacoma cheap leases which I think would fit his needs perfectly. Unfortunately he tried to sit in one and the batteries were disconnected so he could not adjust the seats to see if he could get comfortable. Kind of silly.

I spent some time around the Hyundai Palisade which is really an impressive SUV. They’ve done an excellent job with fit and finish along with looks. If we needed an SUV it’d be a top contender for sure.

Spent some time in the Genesis G70 and Kia Stinger. Man, I really like these. They look great, are super comfortable, and obviously fast as all get out. If Kia can get their dealer experience under control and Genesis can generate a strong enough dealer network, I think they’ll be unstoppable. They’re just doing a lot more at a much lower price point.

Subaru had probably the best display - many different trim levels of multiple models, plus the ASPCA adoption event in the middle with lots of puppies to play with. About as on brand as possible. The staff was extremely knowledgeable to a shocking depth and also offered a $500 auto show coupon if you were looking. Another brand that just seems to be doing it “right.”

The highlight of the show for me was the Porsche Taycan. That is one extremely beautiful EV. Similar lines to Tesla but with that German Porsche flare. Really liked it. Of course was locked so didn’t see inside.

The big disappointment for me was the (1) overall lack of cutting edge cars and new models (VW ID, Tesla, etc) and (2) the absence of the new Mustang EV. I was really hoping that would make an appearance.

Overall, a dud, IMO. We decided next year we would try to go to the LA or Detroit Auto Show. Since I have to fly anyway, we thought those might be fun.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,635
    If you want to attend the Detroit auto show you are in luck if you can make the dates work. This year is the 1st year that they moved it to June. It's for almost 2 weeks.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC
    edited February 9
    Though MB, BMW, and Mini will be there I expect to report similar feedback on the PIT Auto Show, it's been scaled down as well.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC
    I won’t be able to swing it this year, but will definitely plan for next year.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,228
    edited February 9
    pensfan83 said:

If you want to attend the Detroit auto show you are in luck if you can make the dates work. This year is the 1st year that they moved it to June. It's for almost 2 weeks.

Wow. I may try to go in 2021. I stayed in a neat Airbnb when I was in Detroit last summer and would love to stay there again.
    Yeah they moved it from January, seemingly to drum up more interest. It's going to have to wait for next year for me too, already doing plenty of travel this year.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,551
    Phlly auto show sounds smilar to Boston, put on by local dealers, not the manufacturers...
    No Porsche in Boston (or Audi, BMW, Jag, MB, Mini), Mustang Mach E was there, but not a lot of information, nor from my observations, much of a crowd. Of course, the new Vette was the belle of the ball.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 35,204
    BMW and mini dropped last year. MB joined them this year. Concepts were always hit or miss. At one point they overlapped Detroit, so I assume that had a lot to do with it. But, I am more interested usually in the new actual models you can sit in. Though in the past they had at least a couple pre-production models (if not pure concept cars).

For a number of years the only thing downstairs was stuff like the Dubs display. I don't bother to go down there.

After I go Saturday will report back with my take! At least this year we are actively shopping, so the wife will spend more time paying attention, at least to the stuff she wants to see.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Phlly auto show sounds smilar to Boston, put on by local dealers, not the manufacturers...
    No Porsche in Boston (or Audi, BMW, Jag, MB, Mini), Mustang Mach E was there, but not a lot of information, nor from my observations, much of a crowd. Of course, the new Vette was the belle of the ball.

yes, the local dealers association puts this on. I assumed that all shows were sponsored somehow, but the manufacturers do supply product (I think) and displays and accessories.

• breldbreld Posts: 4,750
    pensfan83 said:

Yeah they moved it from January, seemingly to drum up more interest. It's going to have to wait for next year for me too, already doing plenty of travel this year.

Sounds to me we could organize a CCBA gathering in Detroit in 2021.

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 MB GLC300 Coupe - 2014 BMW 228i

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 145,453
    breld said:

pensfan83 said:

I'm in!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Cincinnati auto show

Edmunds Moderator

Cool. I’m sure they will have one in philly.

breld said:

pensfan83 said:

I'd be in as well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,837
    kyfdx said:

Cincinnati auto show

wow. that looks great.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 8,722
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

pensfan83 said:

I'm in!
    Put me in for two. Mrs. j has to come along to make sure I don't buy or put down a deposit. Otherwise you guys will lose a poster buddy. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Another fun Detroit event is the Woodward Dream Cruise, all the classic American iron you can lay your eyes on. I haven't been to that for a few years either so it very well could have been scaled back too. Manufacturers used to have elaborate displays setup along Woodward.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 5,178
    Now, that could be fun! Have never been to Detroit and what a fun way to go see Motor City for the first time! June of 2021 y'all say? Now, that could work!

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

pensfan83 said:

Another fun Detroit event is the Woodward Dream Cruise, all the classic American iron you can lay your eyes on. I haven't been to that for a few years either so it very well could have been scaled back too. Manufacturers used to have elaborate displays setup along Woodward.

The only thing I know about Woodward is their bourbon. If they're the same outfit and have tastings along the way, then hell yeah, sign me up for that too. ;)

jmonroe

Finally got around to putting dad's truck up for sale.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283778305244

Wish my brother had cleaned it up before sending me pics, and I just don't have the time to deal with it, personally. Hopefully it sells itself in spite of that. Yes, the price is .... well, not what I would expect, personally, but we've had so many truck folks drooling over it and telling us this is what its worth, that I'm giving it a shot. Doesn't seem to be too crazy compared to others I have found.

Oil change went just fine, brakes are fine they said, plenty of life left in them pads, something like 7/32nd's or something like that? Regardless, my buddy said nothing to swap out at this time, so just leave 'em alone. And don't compare my pedal travel to the A3 or any other vehicle for that matter...said it's like comparing apples to oranges! Only way to get more bite is to go aftermarket with better equipment and said for about a grand, they could put in a very good braking system. But, is it really worth it, especially with a vehicle with almost 63K on the clock?
    Was talking with another guy behind the counter and he agreed with me that Hyundai/Kia have come a long way and keep improving. Told him I'd like to go back in that area on my next vehicle and he agreed and added that Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Acura should be added to the list. So, we'll have to wait and see what I decide going forward. After I test drive the Seltos and Venue, want to try the Lexus UX and see how it drives. He owns a couple of Lexi autos and loves them. He also mentioned that I'd know within a very short period of time once I started driving all my choices and had to agree and said that's exactly what happened with my Golf. Got in, felt comfortable, started driving and within 5 minutes, maybe less, I knew that I'd be owning this particular unit within a very short period of time. Ten days later, I signed them papers and drove her home!
    And think that'll happen again. First thing I always do, is listen to the audio system before we take off. Need to hear it from a dead stop just to see how loud and full the sound is before any distortion sets in. My current Fender system had none to speak of which was a great first impression. After that, it's turned off as I need to hear how the car sounds from many different situations. I prefer as little talking as possible because I need to take it all in with 100% concentration. That's why a test drive alone really works best for me. I already know a lot about anything I'm going to test, so the sales guy conversation is wasted on me, kind of a turn off really as I'm looking to buy a new vehicle, not make a new buddy here!!
    So, once that guy from Kia gets in touch and has something for me to try, I'll just sit back and research all I can. Hopefully, it'll give me the same initial feelings the Golf did and if so, it could very well end up at Casa Sandman in due time!

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

The winter without snow. Not best time to sell a plow truck!

For the first time since December 2014, think I'm ready to buy something, or possibly lease, something newer. Didn't think I'd get to this point for a bit longer but, think I'm about ready. Startin' to really like some of the new smaller vehicles and especially the new infotainment setups being offered now. I for one, like the tablet inspired set ups I've been using, like the bigger interface, just works for me. Being a bit up higher in the dash works for me and like that most have a couple of knobs for me to play with. The Mazda setup irritates me, same as what we have in the A3, in the center of the console. Dumb [non-permissible content removed] place to put controls for the infotainment system and a safety hazard as far as I'm concerned. Not a fan so puts the X-3 very low on the short list.
    But, finally where I need to be to possibly let go of my beloved Golf finally. Just need to find the right one to make me give up the keys. I know it's out there, just don't know where or what it'll be quite yet. But ready, finally, to start the hunt and see where we end up. Or not end up. Could very well end up waiting till the 2021 models come out so I can give the new Golf due consideration as I like the new dash and interior. So, if not this year, definitely next!

gotta drive them first.

In time. Luckily, get to drive a lot of new vehicles daily. Drove a brand new CX-9 on Friday but thought it was a CX-5 and while the others kept telling me it was a 9, I kept saying it was a 5 until I looked out back. Sure enough, it was a 9! Had the heads-up display which was super cool. Had 3 miles when I got it, so first, had to put some petrol into it. That was in West Palm Beach by the airport. Then we drove them up to Pt. St. Lucie and dropped them at our office on S. Bayshore Drive, just a few miles off the turnpike. Was quite enjoyable except for their dopey audio system controls on the console. Dumbest configuration I've ever seen to be honest!
    Just looked at the photos of the upcoming 2021 VW Golf and really like the interior! Little subtle changes on the outside but the new dash and seat coverings are really a step above. Was hoping it would be out this year but the "S" and "SE" models might not even make it across the pond the article said! Saw this in Car & Driver online and what a shame if those models never get over here. I don't really want a "GTI" to be honest so might have a problem here. Unless I like the Seltos that much where I need to have it. And if that's what'll be, then I'll make the best of it. I see that the SX turbo has the Bose system so am fine with that. The Mazda's had the Bose system also and it had decent sound.
    So, all I can say is that things will become clearer in time.

jmonroe said:

The only thing I know about Woodward is their bourbon. If they're the same outfit and have tastings along the way, then hell yeah, sign me up for that too. ;)

jmonroe

You mean Woodford?!?
    Actually I could probably do NAIAS this year. I have a road trip to the Black Hills planned at the end of April, but still need to burn two more weeks of vacation prior to September 30.
    corvette said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

You mean Woodford?!?
    Yes, but if Woodward serves ANYTHING at their car show, that's close enough. B)

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,156
    @jmonroe,
    Maybe some Verner's. You'll have to supply your own Woodford.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 735
    Woodward double oaked 😂
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 137,742

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

taken care of.

3:45 am right now and insomnia has come back it seems. Every so often, it happens, so why fight it. Best to just get up, get a drink, play on the computer for a bit and then, hop back into bed. Great way to catch up on so many posts I've missed so a positive there. Getting a bit tired again, so hoping I can get some sleep now!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 14,163
    qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.
    For looks I’d prefer a C5. They’re getting cheap too. Low teens for some.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@jmonroe,

Vernor's?

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

@jmonroe,

Vernor's?
    Yeah, I saw that. I have no idea why he wants to screw up my palate. :@

jmonroe

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,796
    kyfdx said:

Cincinnati auto show

Where was this? I didn’t see it.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,796
    kyfdx said:

@jmonroe,

Vernor's?

Ginger Ale!
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    The collision center finally got back to us on the estimate to repair the MDX after my son’s encounter with a light pole.

A bit over $9k.

2012 MDX with 125k mikes. I’m surprised it’s not totaled. Apparently it’s at 85% of that threshold.

Now, the car shopping side of me would like it totaled and then go shopping. But reality is we’d end up spending thousands more for a replacement. And since this is between my ex and I, she’s happy to have the MDX repaired.

I don’t disagree that may be the better outcome, but am I missing anything to where the insurance co is “getting away” with something and we should push for a total?

You’ll get dinged when you try to sell it. Probably not a whole lot, on a ten year old car that’s worth in the low teens, but it will probably be mentioned.
  • ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,498
    breld said:

The collision center finally got back to us on the estimate to repair the MDX after my son’s encounter with a light pole.

A bit over $9k.

2012 MDX with 125k mikes. I’m surprised it’s not totaled. Apparently it’s at 85% of that threshold.

Now, the car shopping side of me would like it totaled and then go shopping. But reality is we’d end up spending thousands more for a replacement. And since this is between my ex and I, she’s happy to have the MDX repaired.

I don’t disagree that may be the better outcome, but am I missing anything to where the insurance co is “getting away” with something and we should push for a total?

When they were estimating my Regal they stopped when it reached 85% of value and they totaled it. It probably depends on your insurance company.

2020 Ascent, 2018 Legacy 3.6R

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

For looks I’d prefer a C5. They’re getting cheap too. Low teens for some.
    Pop-up headlights should have stayed in the '80s.

@breld - What are the comps for similar cars in your area? Seems crazy to me, but what do I know.

Is that the estimate after opening it up or do they have further to go? Any frame damage?
    @venture , I read that to mean that it’s at 85% of whatever repair figure would require that they total it, not that $9k repairs are 85% of the current value of the car.
    venture said:

corvette said:

@venture , I read that to mean that it’s at 85% of whatever repair figure would require that they total it, not that $9k repairs are 85% of the current value of the car.

That sort of made my head hurt a little.
    If you had hair it wouldn't hurt so much. :D

jmonroe

kyfdx said:

Cincinnati auto show

Where was this? I didn’t see it.
    In the middle... Facing left, as you went down the floor from the entrance.

I didn't see it on my first lap around.

Edmunds Moderator

edited February 11
    corvette said:

I believe this is correct. Back of the napkin calcs suggest the "threshold" for totaling it is around $11k, and I imagine retail is $12-13k.

Market is sort of inflated here in CO for SUVs - a comparable MDX is listed for $15k (asking ain't gettin', but still). If it were totaled, I'd probably go the way of a used CR-V or Santa Fe for $15-20k. So the ex and I would be shelling out $5-8k, so the existing MDX, properly repaired, is probably the way to go. A "pre-wrecked" MDX that has been in the family its whole life is a good vehicle for a young driver.