Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    Michaell said:

My CPA hasn't quite gotten to ours yet as it's tradition to do ours last. Since she pays quarterly taxes anyways, all our refunds go into the next quarters payment, so I never see it come to our account. I just hope that we qualify for the $2400 but I looked earlier for the requirements, found them, and we definitely qualify by a long way as we file jointly. Now, our pharmacist daughter, not sure but think she just squeaks in under the limit for a single person by just a hair but, she does qualify. And the other two, definitely qualify!

You mean the money that was yours to begin with? :wink:

If we don't get our taxes filed before the gov't does their calculations, and they use our 2018 returns, we won't get the full amount. Stepdaughter will get the full amount.
    I think the government was talking about getting checks out by April 6th. so unless they changed that I’m guessing they’ll use 2018 for anyone who hasn’t done their 2019 taxes.

I’m happy for them to use 2018 since my income was a little lower. I’m still going to try to get my taxes done by April 15th because I hate having them hang over my head.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Completed my taxes and got paid well before this whole lockdown business. My parents’ refund is MIA, but I had to mail theirs in since I needed to include death certs and whatnot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    edited March 2020
    That's correct. 2019 taxes are the baseline, unless you haven't filed, then 2018.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    With actual final calc being your 2020 AGI.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Yeah, so if you are close in 2018 and then make more in 2019 you could be paying it back!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Just need to make less in 2020.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    Thanks for the confirmation.

AGI was much less in 2019, as the wife stopped working her W-2 job ---- huh, exactly 1 year ago today.

No matter - it is what it is. I'll take whatever amount is given.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    corvette said:

I owed $175 for LLET to the state and something like $51 to Arkansas for money I made there. Sent both checks already and they’ve been cashed. The possibility of forgetting to drop them in the mail over the next few months isn’t worth the hassle.

You should have talked to me first.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    If this goes on too long, many folks will be making less this year. I know I will be but I've gotten over that. Did get another letter from Social Security last week. Looks like they screwed my monthly amount, again, and I'm now supposedly up to $114/month which is retroactive back to January of 2019 it seems. So now, they must recalculate how much I owe them for Part B of Medicare it seems. I think they really miscalculated back to October 2018 when my first s s payment came and I was on Parts A & B. So, I'm just waiting for another letter from Medicare cutting by 60% what I owe them. Works for me since payment ain't due till October of this year.
    Just wonder if they make this kind of error with other folks and who or what actually figures out the exact payment we are owed each year for our s s checks. Still thank G-d daily that I still get a pension each month. The post office to us is the gift that still keeps giving & giving!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,335
    edited March 2020
    But who's counting?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Actually a bad time to be retired. Can’t get out and take advantage. At least us WFH people still have normal work during the day. It’s more weekend boredom.

kyfdx said:

Wife wanted to get out of the house. Burger King drive-thru for lunch, ate in car in parking lot. Drove around for about 40 minutes. Came home.

One hour down, out of 168 this week. :(

X3, GTI or Fit?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

stickguy said:

Actually a bad time to be retired. Can’t get out and take advantage. At least us WFH people still have normal work during the day. It’s more weekend boredom.

I hear ya - we're trying to come up with some new offerings to take advantage of all the folks who are now WFH, many of whom are doing it for the first time in their career. Working from coffee tables, barstools, with kids, spouse and other family members at home. Not conducive to being productive.

I bought and shipped my DIL in CA an office chair - she's been WFH and manages a large call center team, and has been using a stool as her primary seat. She was quite thrilled with the gift.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Need a new office chair really, it's too short and doesn't give my neck the comfort it needs. One another five or so inches would be perfect to be honest. Decided to clean my office later today to consolidate all the junk on my desk. Need a designated inbox and outbox so I know where to put bills and statements for later filling. No more desktop computer, have found my MacBook Air to be just perfect and also have a smaller tablet to take to another room.
    Now the wife has some set up using two tables with 3 screens plus her TurboTax laptop. I like the larger monitors she has but her office is for doing real work where mine is just to pay a few personal bills and surf the web. Still, nice to be able to close the door and do my own thing.
    Plan on throwing in a load of wash later and maybe take a short spin once the sun goes down. If not, there's always tomorrow as I really think we won't be going back to work for at least another few weeks. Hopefully, it will be a shorter duration! I honestly miss going to work!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

You won’t be back to work before May. Minimum. Everything is already shut down through April.

“ Plan on throwing in a load of wash later and maybe take a short spin once the sun goes down.”

I hope you mean a short spin in the car, not the washing machine. 😳

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

You won’t be back to work before May. Minimum. Everything is already shut down through April.

Six weeks of pay is just what the $1200 government check will cover.

Yep, we just discussed that. If we do get that $2400, will believe it once the check is in my hand or account, then we'll start using it for food and daily needs. Right now, we're mostly cooking here at home with the usual pizza thrown in every week or so. But since we don't really cook, can broil and bake, our choices are limited. That stimulus will make us order out more so we can keep our local restaurants from going under, something I know the better half is already talking about. So, hopefully we'll all be getting our checks fairly soon so we can use them to keep this new economy going!

May 1st is probably a more realistic starting date but I tend to be overly optimistic in life, as it makes me feel better. While at Publix yesterday afternoon, noticed only a few folks buying ridiculous amounts of products, the rest of us getting enough for the next few days. Think by Thursday, we'll need to get some fresh meats and maybe more chicken and fish for dinners and lunches. My cereal this morning was enough to get me up and running as I've been quite active this last hour or two. The desk is really a mess but need concentration and quiet when I do it as I need to go through each stack of papers, file what needs to be files and throw whatever garbage away. As I look forward, see four cups of pens which is a bit much. also taking up some much needed space. Luckily I got rid of so much old paperwork a couple weeks ago so I'll maybe need a good forty-five minutes to deal with what I see in front of me.
    My last project is to empty out my sons book case with all his old books and move it all into a piece of wall space I've got set aside in another part of the house. I had purchased a beautiful small table and lamp last year but both are still in my walk-in closet just waiting to be put into my office. They are the last two pieces of the puzzle of my home office and am planning to get that done on Thursday. Figure I'll need a good half hour to move the books/bookcase and then quickly bring both new pieces in. Took me awhile to find the correct pieces to put in the room as we have a queen size bed in their in case all the kids come home at the same time. We still have the girls room set up with their two twin beds which we should really get rid of. Then we could move the queen bed in their room and give me a real home office with my recliner in place of the bed. But the other half isn't quite ready to do all that, so my recliner and reading lamp will have to wait awhile longer.

Yep, we just discussed that. If we do get that $2400, will believe it once the check is in my hand or account, then we'll start using it for food and daily needs. Right now, we're mostly cooking here at home with the usual pizza thrown in every week or so. But since we don't really cook, can broil and bake, our choices are limited. That stimulus will make us order out more so we can keep our local restaurants from going under, something I know the better half is already talking about. So, hopefully we'll all be getting our checks fairly soon so we can use them to keep this new economy going!

So you’re counting the $1200 your wife receives into your calculation?

If I reached for my wife’s money I’d pull back a stump. She figures that her money is HER money and my money is OUR (meaning her) money.

edited March 2020
    really bored tonight (I am sure a lot of that going on) so of course, browsed used cars (I already finished cruising through the houses for sale. and found a couple of those that would be perfect, if the wife was willing to do something crazy and jump!) anyway, I digress.

was thinking, what would I get if I suddenly needed to replace my car?

This one just struck my fancy. Still nice, not a beater but not horribly expensive. l always liked them, this one is loaded up, and it is a perfect match for the RDX (color wise).

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2011-infiniti-ex35-certified_ex35_journey_awd_premium_deluxe_touring-used-jn1aj0hr6bm850976.html

and this one, not that I would buy it (no moonroof, no sale! and a little pricey) I threw in because of the interesting color combo. Sport seats look super comfy

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2017-mini-cooper_clubman-certified_cooper_clubman_all4_awd_real_leather_interior-used-wmwlu1c59h2f27128.html

stickguy said:

really bored tonight (I am sure a lot of that going on) so of course, browsed used cars (I already finished cruising through the houses for sale. and found a couple of those that would be perfect, if the wife was willing to do something crazy and jump!) anyway, I digress.

This one just struck my fancy. Still nice, not a beater but not horribly expensive. l always liked them, this one is loaded up, and it is a perfect match for the RDX (color wise).

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2011-infiniti-ex35-certified_ex35_journey_awd_premium_deluxe_touring-used-jn1aj0hr6bm850976.html

and this one, not that I would buy it (no moonroof, no sale! and a little pricey) I threw in because of the interesting color combo. Sport seats look super comfy

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2017-mini-cooper_clubman-certified_cooper_clubman_all4_awd_real_leather_interior-used-wmwlu1c59h2f27128.html

Beautiful combo on the EX. Yeah, that mini is odd. Wonder how many they made with that combo. And that thing’s gotta be a dog with the base engine.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Love that EX. I think that’s basically the wagon version of my G37. Looks like they didn’t get the larger engine until 2013?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

Love that EX. I think that’s basically the wagon version of my G37. Looks like they didn’t get the larger engine until 2013?

+1

Does it blow anybody else's mind that a MY 2011 vehicle will be 10 YEARS OLD in a few months?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

I thought I was the only one who searched the listing for cars I don’t need.

I like the price on the Infinity but that milage worries me. What routine maintenance needs to be done on those things at that point? Complete records would be a must.

The mini looks nice. You got that kind of money in the sock drawer?

What sites do you peruse? I like AutoTempest, AutoTrader, Listingallcars and Cars.com.

I browse Carvana from when I was using them, and cars.com. Along with a few local dealers like this place.

corvette said:

Correct

Miles up a bit but I think they are pretty durable. If condition checks out and price reflects them, not too worried on the 2nd car since likely gets 5k miles/year max, and rarely goes long distance.

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

+1

Does it blow anybody else's mind that a MY 2011 vehicle will be 10 YEARS OLD in a few months?
    Nah. I still consider that young. Or maybe I’m just losing track. Our T&C will be 7 soon, my Charger 13, F250 is going on 18, and Coronet hitting 54!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    edited April 2020
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

+1

Nah. I still consider that young. Or maybe I’m just losing track. Our T&C will be 7 soon, my Charger 13, F250 is going on 18, and Coronet hitting 54!
    Hmm, a 23 year old Honda, 14 year old BMW, 2.5 year old Acura, and an 8 month old truck in our fleet. Can't wait for the oldest to move out of here already!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My fleet isn’t all that young; the newest is my wife’s X1. I have two over 20 years old and my DD is 11 years old.
    I cheated death and endured unspeakable misery this morning- I drove the Wrangler to work.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My nearest Tesla dealer is in Cincinnati. One of the local attorneys bought a new one and that dealer assured him that they would pick up and deliver the car if any issues arose. His car now has an issue that rendered the car undriveable. He called the dealer and was advised that they no longer picked up and delivered cars. This all took place before the current pandemic hysteria.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

He better get AAA platinum coverage!

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Not as much as it does to see Stick browsing 10 year-old used cars to replace a pair of new and nearly new ones. :o
    I really only need one new/good car. Having 2 is overkill.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Not as much as it does to see Stick browsing 10 year-old used cars to replace a pair of new and nearly new ones. :o
    I really only need one new/good car. Having 2 is overkill.
    But aren't you locked into your TLX lease for another c. 20 months? And you got such a good deal on that lease are you really going to save money by trying to get out of it? Plus you have zero repairs on the TLX, while a ten year old car can often start to get expensive.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I didn’t say I was getting rid of it early. Just that I was bored and browsing.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

My nearest Tesla dealer is in Cincinnati. One of the local attorneys bought a new one and that dealer assured him that they would pick up and deliver the car if any issues arose. His car now has an issue that rendered the car undriveable. He called the dealer and was advised that they no longer picked up and delivered cars. This all took place before the current pandemic hysteria.

Interesting. Of my small fleet, both Acura and KIA have made it a point to email me nearly daily that they’ll pick up and/or drop off my cars if I need service. Tesla must be doing well in Cincinnati for them to go against that grain.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Eternal optimist: When the stock market is down 5%, I now lose less money than I did a couple months ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good idea! I’ll keep it in mind.

No worries. Garage is full for foreseeable future.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    mjfloyd1 said:

stickguy said:

DO NOT BUY a car now. I suspect that you will second guess your decision later. I don’t know why...😂
    It's amazing how this place can teach some of its members how to read between the lines and even know how a story will end before it ends. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

kyfdx said:

Eternal optimist: When the stock market is down 5%, I now lose less money than I did a couple months ago.

I made the mistake of looking at my 401(k) quarterly statemenet, this morning. Down 17% for the quarter.

But, I agree that the dollar cost averaging works to my advantage, going forward. Hoping the market rebounds in the next 8-10 years before I contemplate retirement.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited April 2020
    nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

+1

That’s prime target age for my bargain hooptie searches. I’ve got one in the barn that’s nearly 21.

A car dealer lying? Unheard of. :)