Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    Yep, Terminator was 1984. I can remember those Nikes Kyle Reese wore, black canvas hi-tops with silver trim and a velcro strap, being all the rage around that timeframe. I'll admit I had a pair. I'll even fess up that I still have them, packed away somewhere! I know there's a market for vintage sneakers, but these suckers are shot.

I also remember in the Terminator, one of the few cars that survived the apocalypse was a '76-77 LeMans!

The stand-up hood ornament makes it look like a Grand LeMans, but then in the scene where it wrecks, and you can see the trunk, it doesn't have the extra set of dummy reflector lights on the trunk, and the trim strip...unless that stuff got pulled off?

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Looks like maybe a leftover stunt car from a Smokey movie.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Oh, what?! Turning Terminator into a car movie. We must be sick and twisted, indeed. :D

Looks like an Econoline husk on the elft of that image, though. Sad days, indeed. I like that cars that survived 20-30 years just to get to the Terminator apocalypse then made it another 20-30 years after.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Almost any movie can be a car movie B) The 80s were really good for that too, or maybe because there were so many good movies to begin with.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Almost any movie can be a car movie B) The 80s were really good for that too, or maybe because there were so many good movies to begin with.

True! It seems like the quantity of material was far less back then (I remember it seemed like a big deal when new movies came out), but I generally enjoyed what came on. Now, there's just so much, and so much of it is awful. Still some good stuff, but no more than before, with all of this noise thrown in for good measure. /sigh
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    It's probably just nostalgia as I am getting older, but I enjoyed more, too. We went to the movies a lot then, weekly by the late 80s, and although there were plenty of duds, there were ample gems. The gems these days seem fewer and far between, with a lot of cloned CGI stuff and tired plots to wade through.

And for many of the ones I like from back in the day, I can make them into car movies simply via spotting all of the vehicles, even in movies that weren't car-cast as strongly as Hughes films. The existence of IMCDB shows others are into this, too.
    xwesx said:

True! It seems like the quantity of material was far less back then (I remember it seemed like a big deal when new movies came out), but I generally enjoyed what came on. Now, there's just so much, and so much of it is awful. Still some good stuff, but no more than before, with all of this noise thrown in for good measure. /sigh

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    fintail said:

It's probably just nostalgia as I am getting older, but I enjoyed more, too. We went to the movies a lot then, weekly by the late 80s, and although there were plenty of duds, there were ample gems. The gems these days seem fewer and far between, with a lot of cloned CGI stuff and tired plots to wade through.

That's probably a big part of it - I am much the same way - and your tastes change (or perhaps become more rigid) when you get older. That is a big part of why I find Prime and Netflix to be middling to poor value. So much of what is offered there, even award-winning things that people on social media rave about, is just either total crap or otherwise uninteresting and unappealing to me now. I also find so much of it just way too dark in theme with unsympathetic characters, and I don't have much time for that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    edited April 2020
    fintail said:

And for many of the ones I like from back in the day, I can make them into car movies simply via spotting all of the vehicles, even in movies that weren't car-cast as strongly as Hughes films. The existence of IMCDB shows others are into this, too.

xwesx said:

I can remember seeing certain movies at the theater in the 80s more than ones I have seen recently.

I’ve probably said it before, but there is a 10 year gap between my wife and I. She just can’t understand my love for the 80s. Every once in a while I can get her to watch an 80s movie and she will agree it’s great.

To me it’s blasphemy but she dislikes so many of the great ones. Many of which we have talked about here.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

• Options
    I can relate to the rigid tastes thing - my car tastes have probably become more flexible than music and movies. I doubt I've been to the movies more than 5 or 6 times in the past decade, and when I see stuff eventually on flights or at home, I am usually unimpressed. A gem here and there, but some of it (I am talking to you, latest Vacation and Poltergeist renditions) are pretty much just insulting. At the same time, there are some old movies that don't get tired no matter how much I've seen them. I think this is just a part of getting older :) I have Netflix nearly free with my phone plan, and Prime as well - not used much, probably 80% of my TV time is Youtube. I also can't get into modern pop music, and most of the post-2000 stuff I listen to is either ambient electronic style, or some foreign material.

Funny, when I was a kid I was rigid about cars - either old cars (thanks to my dad no doubt), or modern European cars. Now I am pretty flexible, and there are things I once ignored or disliked that I appreciate a little. I've warmed up to older Japanese cars, and even some 80s-90s American cars make me happy when I see them still on the road, maybe nostalgia again.

ab348 said:

That's probably a big part of it - I am much the same way - and your tastes change (or perhaps become more rigid) when you get older. That is a big part of why I find Prime and Netflix to be middling to poor value. So much of what is offered there, even award-winning things that people on social media rave about, is just either total crap or otherwise uninteresting and unappealing to me now. I also find so much of it just way too dark in theme with unsympathetic characters, and I don't have much time for that.

• Options
    It's funny talking to younger people about movies of that era, and seeing how many are unfamiliar with something like Back To The Future or Indiana Jones. movies I can often recite line for line when I watch them. I am always surprised that Hughes films aren't universally appreciated as well.

Thinking of car movies, I vividly recall seeing "License to Drive" on a late schoolnight matinee, and feeling lucky my parents let me stay up. I also remember seeing the Tucker movie, my mom actually went with me as she wanted to see it too, I think I was 11 or 12.

tjc78 said:

I can remember seeing certain movies at the theater in the 80s more than ones I have seen recently.

I’ve probably said it before, but there is a 10 year gap between my wife and I. She just can’t understand my love for the 80s. Every once in a while I can get her to watch an 80s movie and she will agree it’s great.

To me it’s blasphemy but she dislikes so many of the great ones. Many of which we have talked about here.

• Options
    Fun stuff, they stopped about 35 miles from me, I think. That red 300D is very 70s, and think, that was the powerful model.

That makes me think, the current crisis has slowed down updates in my new job search, but there are a few positions that aren't making a move for another month - a couple of them out of the area. I'd be going on a little road trip in the fintail if I take one of them.
    tjc78 said:
  • Options
    That write-up sounds like it came from a guy who has never done something like this before. Fun trip, though. I have always loved doing those one-ways with a "new" car. :)
  • Options
    Actually he has. I remember reading his adventure to pick up a LTD wagon from down south.

He must be a pretty skilled mechanic based on some of his other threads/posts.

• Options
    fintail said:

Fun stuff, they stopped about 35 miles from me, I think. That red 300D is very 70s, and think, that was the powerful model.

That makes me think, the current crisis has slowed down updates in my new job search, but there are a few positions that aren't making a move for another month - a couple of them out of the area. I'd be going on a little road trip in the fintail if I take one of them.

tjc78 said:
    I was going to just post the Mercedes, but figured since we all have a little extra time on our hands that many of us would enjoy the read.

Job search is really tough for me right now. I got an update from the company that wants to hire me last week, basically saying that they can’t do anything right now. Well yeah I get it, you are non-essential retail that almost all stores are closed right now. I told my wife I’m worried they will still have the budget to hire me (and the capital projects I was to run) once this is over.

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Jay Leno adds a 1958 Continental III to his garage. Original paint....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1ZU_lUPWM

The video was a little long, and Jay could have used a producer/director to pare some things down a bit, but that was a fascinating car to watch.

Years ago I was parked next to a 1960 model of one of those at a car show and it was a fascinating thing to look at. I guess somebody at Ford thought it looked good back in the '50s. The interior is quite nice in them, not the least because you can't see the exterior design from inside. :D

• Options
    Takes some courage to go on a trip like that, but I guess 30 year old cars are easier for some repairs than new ones.

I've had three positions taken down without being filled - I guess that beats being hired on and laid off in a month. Everything is in a holding pattern right now, only one interviewer said they intend to have a decision by May.
    tjc78 said:

I was going to just post the Mercedes, but figured since we all have a little extra time on our hands that many of us would enjoy the read.

Job search is really tough for me right now. I got an update from the company that wants to hire me last week, basically saying that they can’t do anything right now. Well yeah I get it, you are non-essential retail that almost all stores are closed right now. I told my wife I’m worried they will still have the budget to hire me (and the capital projects I was to run) once this is over.

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,110
    Anybody game for "favorites of '56"? If we go five-year increments, this is probably the farthest back I can go, LOL.

1) '56 Studebaker Sky Hawk--hardtop, no fins, Stude 289, rarer than Golden Hawk:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az15/arizona/lots/r231-1956-studebaker-sky-hawk-coupe/181409

2) '56 Ford Victoria (NOT 'Crown')--my favorite Ford of all. Not a fan of the 'Crown' as it turns your hardtop into a car with a huge B-pillar, LOL:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hTny32HDKE8/WKch2IZKj9I/AAAAAAAANfE/WwkGveiu7FowWUpKvbDFeE6fSQNTp_ZXQCLcB/s1600/fair+a333.jpg

3) Continental Mark II--large, but long-hood/short-deck, and understated in that field:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0130-1956-continental-mark-ii/841693

4) '56 Bel Air Sport Coupe--defies everything I always say about liking under-the-radar stuff--although I guess it's 'under the radar' compared to a '57:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-282216/1956-chevrolet-bel-air/

5) And I'd think about this--I can't tell it apart from a '57 but I like that the '56 doesn't sound like such a cliche in the Chevy world!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/paris/lots/r0053-1956-chevrolet-corvette/733916
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    tjc78 said:

fintail said:

tjc78 said:

Sympathies for both of your in job searches right now with the uncertainty of when businesses may start to operate again that are now closed or in WFH modes. I'm from a different generation of jobs and I couldn't have handled the stress very well.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    1956:

Easily this, the most advanced car in the world at the time, and I even like the color:

Something more reasonable, and I even like the colors:

Crown Vics do nix the hardtop ideal, but I like the glasstop, and I even like the colors:

• Options
    The one position that actually said they'd make a move in the next month or so said it would be WFH for the first few months. I interviewed with an EVP, he was pretty laid back about demands at the beginning. This is also the position closest to home for me, not sure if it will pan out, but it could be interesting.

I am fortunate and grateful that I have no dependents, received a parting gift, and have a rainy day fund, so I am not in panic mode yet.

Sympathies for both of your in job searches right now with the uncertainty of when businesses may start to operate again that are now closed or in WFH modes. I'm from a different generation of jobs and I couldn't have handled the stress very well.

• Options
    Well you’ll also get an extra $600 on unemployment that was part of the stimulus bill so that takes a bit out of the sting. This situation basically is resetting the clock on job searching.

• Options
    Yes, agree with imidazol97. Good luck. I lost a job after I had worked there 14 years and 9 months. I was unemployed only two weeks then (1995) and have been gainfully employed since, in a cut-throat environment. I was originally going to work about 3.75 years longer than I am planning to now--planning on retiring in June 2021. I find my attention span and sharpness starting to decline (I'll be 62 in June). Boss has said he thinks that'll work, but things were looking a bit shaky there even before this virus. I fully realize I am lucky that my wife has about 5 1/2 years to work and is seven years younger than me and I am on her insurance. I think I will take social security at the time of retirement (age 63) and live off my wife's income for a few years without touching retirement savings.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The very first car I remember - and it is only a single memory - was from when I was either 2 or 3 years old. Dad traded in a '55 Ford Mainline 4-door sedan, my parents first new car purchase ever, on a '56 Ford Crown Victoria Skyliner. If I had that now it would look like this:

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    fintail said:

1956:

Easily this, the most advanced car in the world at the time, and I even like the color:

image....

My grandfather owned one of these in c. 1957. My Dad went with his brother to Germany to pick it up at the factory. They said it was a very nice car. My grandfather only kept it a few years before trading it in on a Buick or something.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    My dealer friend said he either rode in one or drove one at a dealer showing in Seven Springs, a resort in SW PA. He was suitably impressed.

ab--your parents had a Crown Vic with the plexiglas top! I am suitably impressed! That is one nice thing I think I'll concede about the Crown Victoria--the ability to have that top!

I like the '56's simple instrument panel. Give me a red and black Victoria.
  • Options
    Too bad he didn't keep it - easy 7 figures today even if in terrible condition.
    benjaminh said:

My grandfather owned one of these in c. 1957. My Dad went with his brother to Germany to pick it up at the factory. They said it was a very nice car. My grandfather only kept it a few years before trading it in on a Buick or something.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    re: Crown Vic - my dad went into the USAF in 1954, and his car purchase while in the service was a 56 Crown Vic, a solid white car. Something happened to it (I have a couple ideas), and he replaced it with a solid black one, later replaced by a 60 Pontiac. I think he might have mentioned the black one had side pipes. This was a long time before I was born, but I heard many a story.
  • Options
    fintail said:

and I even like the color

I'm beginning to detect a theme here! :)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    All these Crown Victoria pictures remind me of the national convention for the Crown Victoria association held here in Dayton a few summers back. I was able to visit the cars at the parking area at the Marriot. All 54, 55, 56 Fords, Mercurys AND pickups. I saw a Mercury pickup truck.

A lot of the cars were trailered in. Many were from that country up North!
    Great looking at them in all the striking colors as seen in the CV photos posted here.

This year the convention is in Des Moines. Dayton is getting a Falcon convention.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Some pix of picks for 56! (and I'd also like that Mercedes gull wing sports car lol Or maybe a sedan.)

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    56? Before my time and not in my wheelhouse, but a nice Nomad or the Gullwing would be nice. Possibly a Ferrari model would work. Not much other than that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Ferrari 250 TR begins in 1957.

And a '57 Chevy is the best Tri-Five style.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    I think 1956 might be one of those rare years where I like just about everything out there, except maybe the Nash and Hudson. For Mopar, I think the '56 models are all improvements on the '55 versions, something pretty rare for a facelift. With GM, the '56 Chevy has always been my favorite of the 55-57 period. Olds, Buick, and Cadillac look good. The only one that really doesn't wow me so much, is Pontiac. It's the headlights. I don't like the way they jut out, and the fender tops above them have sort of a peeled back look. But other than that detail, I think the rest of it is cool.

The Ford and Mercury look good that year, although I don't think Mercury was changed much from the year before. I like the '56 Lincoln, as well. Considering how all-new everything else had been just the year before, I'd imagine a '55 Lincoln had been a hard sell. The Continental is pretty timeless, too. The '56 Studebakers were nice loking, too. The Hawks look great no matter what year you pick, but I think the '56 update on the sedan body style was pretty handsome, as well.

Good luck with the job situation, guys. These are definitely uncertain times, but we will pull through. This virus scare has also been a wakeup call to me, showing just how quickly things could change. I'm fortunate, for the time being, in that they let me bring my work computer home, and I've been teleworking for the last three weeks. But, I worry that if the work dries up too much, they might make us start scaling back the hours we charge. When we had the furlough at the beginning of last year, we were able to charge about 50-60% of our normal hours, and had to use up the rest with our accrued vacation. Those that didn't have enough leave were allowed to go negative, up to 80 hours I think. They would've had to pay that back if they left the company before it built back up. Or, I think you could take a reduced paycheck if you ran out of leave. We were shut down for 5 weeks, and I tend to be a hoarder with leave, so I emerged unscathed, but I'm sure some of my co-workers weren't so lucky.

I used to figure that if I ever hit a rough patch, I could always pick up a second job delivering pizzas, waiting tables, bartending, etc. But, this virus pretty much killed those interim type jobs.
  • Options
    well, there seem to be plenty of delivery jobs at least. That and Amazon warehouse and wally world are about all that are hiring!

• Options

ab--your parents had a Crown Vic with the plexiglas top! I am suitably impressed! That is one nice thing I think I'll concede about the Crown Victoria--the ability to have that top!

My memory of it is being loaded into the front seat between my parents and remembering all the bright colors and sparkly chrome things. It was in the bumblebee black and yellow colors like the one I pictured.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201

Yes, agree with imidazol97. Good luck. I lost a job after I had worked there 14 years and 9 months. I was unemployed only two weeks then (1995) and have been gainfully employed since, in a cut-throat environment. I was originally going to work about 3.75 years longer than I am planning to now--planning on retiring in June 2021. I find my attention span and sharpness starting to decline (I'll be 62 in June). Boss has said he thinks that'll work, but things were looking a bit shaky there even before this virus. I fully realize I am lucky that my wife has about 5 1/2 years to work and is seven years younger than me and I am on her insurance. I think I will take social security at the time of retirement (age 63) and live off my wife's income for a few years without touching retirement savings.

We are exactly the same age.

I retired from my job in November, 2016, after 30 years (amazing). My wife is 18 months older than I am. The healthcare costs are the biggest bomb. She had some HSA money from her previous buyout, and we have retiree health accounts that cover about half of our premiums. That still leaves $1100 per month out of pocket. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    ab348 said:

My memory of it is being loaded into the front seat between my parents and remembering all the bright colors and sparkly chrome things. It was in the bumblebee black and yellow colors like the one I pictured.
    The 55 had a neat dash. The shroud that housed the speedometer had natural backlighting. A clear or slightly tinted plastic was on the back or the shroud allowing light coming in from the windshield to backlight the speedometer. I don’t think the 55 had the full set of gauges the 56 had.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Without clicking the link, here's the '56 I mentioned I'd probably most like to buy today. The Sky Hawk was rarely seen even then, with fewer deliveries than the more-expensive Golden Hawk. The lack of fins, and Studebaker V8 and automatic trans instead of Packard's engine and automatic--more fussy to keep going reliably--are pluses too IMHO.

I like the finless, hardtop styling. My only grumble is the fender-mounted turn signals.

My brother-in-law (of ten years) has one, but he wasn't sure what model exactly it was--it was all dechromed and de-emblemed. He's had it for decades and it needs everything. But I knew right away what it was.

I don't love this color, but I do like the car. Very nice proportions IMHO.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We are exactly the same age.

I retired from my job in November, 2016, after 30 years (amazing). My wife is 18 months older than I am. The healthcare costs are the biggest bomb. She had some HSA money from her previous buyout, and we have retiree health accounts that cover about half of our premiums. That still leaves $1100 per month out of pocket. :o

Wow, it's amazing how fast the time passes. I can still remember that day we met up, when I bought the LeMans and then went to Steak & Shake, like it was yesterday! I was only 35 then, but suddenly bam, I'm 50! What the hell happened? :p

The concern about health insurance costs is my biggest hurdle to retiring early. It's just me, so I don't need a spouse or family policy. Still, I have a feeling that if I was to pick up the entire tab on my health insurance, it wouldn't be pretty. Unless I went with some really basic, high-deductible policy.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    andre mentioned how he likes most of the '56 minor revisions across the brands better than the '55's. I almost-always think the first year of a style was the best, as it was designed in harmony; subsequent years were changed just to have a model-year change. But I totally think the '56 Ford is a prettier car than the '55--on hardtop coupes, the roof appears flattened and I like that, as well as the change in instrument panels.

I like '56 Chevys a lot, but I don't know that I like them better than the '55. :) I really like the '57 the least. I sort-of like the One-Fifty (cheapy) as it's the only one that doesn't have that fanned-out trim on the rear quarters.

Not that I'd buy one, but I find the '56 Packard Four-Hundred hardtop an interesting car in the luxury-car price class. Some oiling issues in the engine, transmission quirks, and levelling suspension can be headaches, but I have always heard that nothing else rode like them. Styling is heavy/bulky for my tastes, but no worse than the same year Caddy or Lincoln I don't think, but the Packards are far-rarer.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited April 2020
    For 1956 about all I'd want would be the Gullwing or a
    503 Cabriolet

And a 507, of course

Or maybe an XK 140 FHC

I can't think of any 1956 domestic car I'd want.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I had forgotten about the '56 Packard. Considering the design dated back to 1951, I think they did a great job in updating it. I think the main thing that betrayed it as an older design, was the high beltline, which led to what seemed like a low ratio of window glass to lower body compared to other cars. At least, it looked that way to my eye.

Something about the styling and proportioning makes them look a bit small to me as well, even though these weren't exactly tiny cars. The Clipper was on a 122" wb and about 215" long, while the bigger models were on a 127" wb and close to 220" long.

With the '55 Chevy, I've often heard that one detail that polarizes people to the style is the grille. Some people love the grille, as it makes them think of a Ferrari, while others hate it, because it's too narrow and doesn't fill out the front-end. And, I think I fall into that second category. There's also just something about the shape of the metal below the headlights, and the way the turn signals wrap, that I don't care for. It just seems a bit swollen and puffy, for lack of a better description. And the way the taillights jut out as well, it makes the quarter panel underneath just seem, again, puffy.

Overall, I think it's still a cool car. I just like the '56 better, with its forward thrust, and full-width grille, although that grille always seemed a bit Ford-ish to me! I also prefer the '55 taillights, as the '56 seem a bit more gaudy, but I like the way they work the '56 taillight in with that fin that's beginning to take shape.

With Plymouth, it's mainly the grille of the '56 that wins it over for me. It seems to fill out the front-end better, yet at the same time doesn't come off as heavy-handed looking. With the rear, I like them either way. I prefer the fins, but think it looks nice without them as well. Although I guess even in '55, a bit of a fin was just starting to take shape.

With Ford, I think I prefer the '56 a bit over the '55...mostly it's just the grille and turn signal treatment. One little detail I don't like about either year though, is how the two-toning runs up the side of the front fenders, with the spear serving as a separator, but the the whole headlight bezel ends up being the same color as the side. I've seen repaints where they'd do the outer part of the bezel the same color as the side, and the inner part would match the hood, and that looks better to me.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    American? I'd take one of these:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I love those Mark II's. More than one on display in the Lincoln Building at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI, and you can get up-close to them.

andre, agree about the high beltline on those Packards. That's one thing I liked about most Studes from '53 and later, was the appearance of a low beltline.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

While out today. A friend had two of these. Slow fun.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I would love one of those as a sorta clone GTI. first pick with the wheels got my hopes up. Dashed by the engine badge! The bed rust is not encouraging either.

• Options
    Spotted a maybe early 00s Crown Vic. This one was a little unusual - cut down into a pickup, lifted on big tires, perhaps even on a 4WD chassis. Was going too fast for me to snap a pic.

I suspect no Rabbit pickups exist at stock ride height on factory wheels. They became a cult item years ago.
  • Options
    The '56 car I kinda sorta like is a Chrysler. They could be had with Torque-Flite that year and combined with the big lump of a Hemi engine could move out very well for the times. I like the styling of them as well. When I first got my Cutlass a guy in the car club I belonged to had one and it was quite tank-like. Not ga-ga over them but there isn't much else I like from that year. Make mine a convertible. Or maybe a '56 Lincoln convertible, which makes me think of Grace Kelly for some reason.

• Options
    out today getting fruits and veggies (and beer and claws and wine, basically the essentials) passed a 71 or 72 Mustang notchback, then right down the road a mid 50s something. Not sure if a Chevy or other make, but roughly like a tri 5 Chevy. Red and white 2 tone 4 door.