Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Happy birthday, @nyccarguy! Hope you are able to celebrate in style.

Schools in CO are done for the year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited April 2020
    Happy Birthday @nyccarguy

Schools here in Georgia are done as well. We’ve been out since the 12th of March.

We officially go under a statewide ‘shelter in place’ this evening even though many counties/cities already had that in place.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

qbrozen said:

Seems like a good deal for what it is.

I like that deal a lot!

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

And in other news, I’m 44 today!

You’re catching up to me! ;b
    Yeah, but he's going to fly by you long before I see him coming in my rear view mirror. I doubt he has enough HP to do that.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    tifighter said:

HBD @nyccarguy - you are only one year behind me...

so you split the difference between him and me. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2020
    au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

I like that deal a lot!
    "On sale!" "Act now!" LOL

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

I like that deal a lot!
    "On sale!" "Act now!" LOL

Yeah, probably not yet. But once we come through this I could see us taking advantage of some of the potential deals out there. Fingers crossed we will be ok employment wise. My wife is in healthcare, a nurse by degree but in administration now and I work for a food company so hope to be able to ride the storm out. Very stressful times for my wife though so it would make me very happy to get her out of the X1 at the end of this.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    This showed up in my inbox from a local dealer. Because hundreds of dollars is going to motivate me...

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    A good friend of ours has a Jeep Unlimited with the soft top. I could see it being a fun second ride for the beach, etc. I just couldn’t see daily driving it. It’s hot/cold inside, noisy and not super comfortable

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    edited April 2020
    tjc78 said:

A good friend of ours has a Jeep Unlimited with the soft top. I could see it being a fun second ride for the beach, etc. I just couldn’t see daily driving it. It’s hot/cold inside, noisy and not super comfortable

Next door has a white hardtop, and across the street from them has white with black softtop (they bought it to tow behind a motor home, but their 16 year old is now driving it)

I couldn't see daily driving one, in any case. The Taco is a limo, compared to a Wrangler.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So I had been waiting for the "sales" to come back in my Rodo showroom before trying this. I used their app to try to sell to Carvana again, figuring maybe they had a deal with them. Nope. Still no go. You can get an appraisal, but when you go to the Carvana site to try to complete the deal, you still get the message that they aren't buying unless you buy one from them. I messaged Rodo to tell them their partnership is not working right now and they should probably take that option off their app until the problem is fixed. Like they'll care, but I had to say it anyway.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    Happy Birthday @nyccarguy!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited April 2020
    I daily drove my TJ from 2002 to 2007. I can’t speak for the JK or JL derivatives but the HVAC system in the TJ works great. I remember one time we drove to northern Kentucky in ambient temps of around 5F and my son(seated in the back) asked me to turn the heat down. The seats in my Sahara are very comfortable. It is noisy at speed, I’ll grant you that.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Proud father moment. The little one has started counting the gears when I am shifting. He's pretty good - he knows when I'm in neutral and when I shift to first.

Now that’s awesome!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Happy Birthday Bradd! Go crazy and order a cake to be delivered!

My two high-schoolers are of course doing remote learning. School hasn't been officially canceled for the remainder of the semester, but it's imminent. Kinda nice for the students - the online assignments can only improve their current grades; any assignment that would lower the grade is thrown out.

And since Spring sports are on hold (again, soon to be canceled), they don't have the usual intensive baseball activities going either.

My stepdaughter has been home from college for a few weeks now and she's finishing out the semester on-line. She technically still has the Summer semester to finish up, but that's just her internship, so she was going to walk the graduation ceremony next month. But that has been delayed until December.

Given the dreadful worldwide circumstances, I'm nevertheless trying to embrace the forced downtime.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I find myself wanting to look at or obtain desirable cars, but although I'm in a good spot financially with my "essential" work continuing, I have too many vehicles already. This means although there are good deals to be had, it'll have to be offset by trading 1 in at a good deal too (for the buyer).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    andres3 said:

I find myself wanting to look at or obtain desirable cars, but although I'm in a good spot financially with my "essential" work continuing, I have too many vehicles already. This means although there are good deals to be had, it'll have to be offset by trading 1 in at a good deal too (for the buyer).

I think this will become a buyer’s market. A seller? Not so much.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Only people doing good are ones without a car to sell.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I wonder who's brother in law/cousin/uncle owns the flyer company. There'll be some sketchy private sector partnerships to investigate in all of this once the crisis has simmered down.
    ab348 said:

Our next-door province of New Brunswick announced this week that the rest of the school year is cancelled and they will figure out the details of graduations, diplomas, etc later. Here in Nova Scotia they have yet to do that but schools are closed until at least May 1. But this week they announced something that is a bit bizarre. They are rolling out a home-schooling curriculum next week apparently, which kids are supposed to do either online or otherwise. The odd part is the "otherwise". In places where high-speed internet is unavailable either due to lack of infrastructure or family budgets, they are going with a paper-based package. But the gov has contracted with the newspaper company that is the largest in the province to distribute it, and how they propose to do that is laughable. The company also delivers bundles of weekly store flyers around the province and those have in fact been somewhat controversial among many who think they are bad for the environment, a nuisance, or otherwise don't want them. Yesterday the company sent out a communication saying the school materials would be made part of that, and if you didn't already sign up for their flyer delivery, you would have to do so in order to get the paper school course materials for your kids. Outrage reigns now of course.

Must have been a fun era, some rebellion. Many of those who rebelled are now pretty quiet though.

I barely recall HS or college grad, but I definitely remember the party after HS grad. B)

And Happy Birthday nyccarguy. You aren't much older than I, I hope you aren't feeling like the warranty has run out - I get that now and then :)

Remember my high school graduation vividly. After her address was maybe half over, first in class ripped off her gown, threw off her hat and basically told the school folks to go "f themselves" and in her shorts & tee, walked down the aisle and out the door! We got up immediately and went wild while the admin people and our folks went nuts. It was quite the spectacle, she got her point across, and 1972 became a year I never ever forgot!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@roadburner ....just curious what the interest rates are on the GTS or BMW? With everything that’s going on, it can’t be that high, can it?

4% on the GTS, 1.99% on the 540i if I get it CPO.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The GTS - I’d just use my HELOC. The 540i looks like a decent rate, if the sales price is right.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    36 months is down to 1.79% at Navy Fed I think. Typically other Credit Unions are able to match. Of course, this would be for a shorter term loan. Jalopnik mentioned the average loan is 70 months now for a new car? Crazy!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited April 2020
    Happy Birthday! 44, seems like such a long time ago...21 years ago, wow! Even with what I know now, would never want to go back to then, so far, my current age isn't such a bad place to be!
    The internet has been a bit sketchy this afternoon but while I was able, did some more dollar cost averaging so we'll see how things go. Once my favorite investment dropped under $6/share, bought some more. Not a whole lot but just enough to get to an even amount of shares. Looking forward, I know the market will come back. A correction was definitely needed but, wouldn't have done it in such a dramatic way. But it is what it is, and since I saw the price drop so low again, figured I'd jump a little and see what happens. As long as it keeps paying it's dividend, I'm a happy camper! One thing I do know, at 44, I had teenagers and there was no way I'd have had some extra income to dollar cost average like I'm doing now. The budget was awfully tight back then so that's probably why I'm so thankful to have it now.
    As long as one is healthy, the mid 60's and up can be a nice time of life! I thank G-d daily for just getting out of bed and am very thankful for it all. Especially thankful that I've got a fun job that I love going to and can't wait till it resumes!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    stickguy said:

well, school is virtual. Just hold prom over zoom. kids can dress up at home, sneak liquor and drugs in water bottles, dance badly, pretty much everything most of them do at prom anyway!

I think you missed a couple of things that go on at proms... and after.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

that was captured in the most of them part. The ones that did get that little bit extra, will just have to wait for the embargo to be lifted!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Happy Birthday, Bradd! With age comes wisdom...to reevaluate that Yankees thing... ; )

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    andres3 said:

36 months is down to 1.79% at Navy Fed I think. Typically other Credit Unions are able to match. Of course, this would be for a shorter term loan. Jalopnik mentioned the average loan is 70 months now for a new car? Crazy!

Crazy is a nice way to say it. In a way I can't believe numbers like that but sadly I know it's true. The peole who get 6 and 7 years financing are the very ones who fall in love with a car they obviously can't afford but rationalize that, "this is the car that I'll keep for 10 years, honest". But they are the very ones that fall out of love with it by year 3. Then they kick the can down the road again. After that they finally sign up with one of these "debt relief" outfits that advertise non stop on TV and radio and get bit by them too. Of couse they then cry that everyone's a crook and is out to get them. Maybe I should feel bad for these poor fools but somehow I can't convince myself how to do that.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    We lead the world again... in COVID cases... nearly 25% of the now 1M+ confirmed cases worldwide. So generous. :D

Bradd, enjoy your day! At least you don't need to worry about dressing up this evening to go out somewhere.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    tjc78 said:

He is a business owner in the Bronx. Darth Vader could visit him from Vulcan and still not persuade him to like the Red Sox

I believe that Vader once owned the Yanks.
    Ok, maybe the local alternative:

Let's go Mets!
    Amazin', amazin', amazin'
    RC Cola, Rheingold, Plymouth
    Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner
    Ya gotta believe!
    The true Tom Terrific
    Mookie woulda beat it out anyway!

Yes, grew up a Mets fan, but never the Yanks.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

We will be happy to have Bradd come into the light and get out of the dark shadows. Whenever the Mets actually get to play again!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Happy Birthday Bradd, still got you by 20.
    I don't think too many people are going to be converting to Red-Stro-Sox fans. :@
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    jmonroe said:

andres3 said:

Crazy is a nice way to say it. In a way I can't believe numbers like that but sadly I know it's true. The peole who get 6 and 7 years financing are the very ones who fall in love with a car they obviously can't afford but rationalize that, "this is the car that I'll keep for 10 years, honest". But they are the very ones that fall out of love with it by year 3. Then they kick the can down the road again. After that they finally sign up with one of these "debt relief" outfits that advertise non stop on TV and radio and get bit by them too. Of couse they then cry that everyone's a crook and is out to get them. Maybe I should feel bad for these poor fools but somehow I can't convince myself how to do that.

jmonroe
    Both cars in my signature quote were purchased with 72 month loans. The MINI was financed at 2.9% APR and the Subaru at 1.9%.

Both cars are now paid off - the MINI has just over 40,000 miles on it, and the Subaru around 35K. No matter how good the deals, and the financing, get, there are no plans to trade them out for something new.

At the rate we mile them up, we could likely keep them each another 5-8 years without exceeding 100,000 miles on them.

I did get my 2003 Saturn L300 with 0% financing about a year after 9/11, when everyone was touting deals to get America back on its feet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yes, we did a 5 year loan when we bought the Volt but intend to pay it off in 3.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2020
    Michaell said:

....I did get my 2003 Saturn L300 with 0% financing about a year after 9/11, when everyone was touting deals to get America back on its feet.

I always liked the looks of those midsize Saturns. Would you be willing to remind me how that car worked out for you. How long/how many miles did you keep it?

PS The L300 was the loaded model, wasn't it?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited April 2020
    I took a 72 month loan on my truck 2 years ago, but it should be paid off in another 6 months.
    Weren't those L300's based on the SAAB 9-5? Both could be equipped with a 3.0 v6, but the SAAB an asymmetrical turbo setup.
    My wife had a 9-5 wagon.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    That's why they invented leasing. When 3 year boredom sets in, you can walk away, for premium German brands anyway, often with a residual a bit higher than market value (although they will negotiate if you want to buy - I was made a fair offer on my prior lease, but that 3 year boredom along with the temptation of the new car had me move on).

Buying a new car every 3 years via rolling over negative equity is indeed insane.
    jmonroe said:

jmonroe

benjaminh said:

Michaell said:

....I did get my 2003 Saturn L300 with 0% financing about a year after 9/11, when everyone was touting deals to get America back on its feet.

I always liked the looks of those midsize Saturns. Would you be willing to remind me how that car worked out for you. How long/how many miles did you keep it?

PS The L300 was the loaded model, wasn't it?
    Goodness, that was so long ago....

Yes, the L300 was the loaded model, with the 3.0L V6. I had aftermarket leather and heated seats installed. Pewter exterior with a light pewter leather interior. Was a real stunning color combination, when coupled with the chrome wheels. Wife always called it "my grandpa car" (note: I wasn't then, nor am I now, a grandpa).

I kept it for about 7 years and just over 90,000 miles when we traded it in on my daughter's first MINI. Got $3000 in trade.

Overall, I liked the car. Smooth, reasonably quick - but, down on power when compared to the Camry, Accord and Altima of the time. It didn't nickel and dime me to death. It took massive chunks of money from my budget. Had two BCM's fail - the first one cost me $600 to repair, the second I got for a discount because the first one failed after a year. Had to replace the rotors and calipers, as well - that was another $1200 fix. I think I had to buy tires for it twice in 90K; either I'm not good at picking tires that last or I was just hard on them. MPG was just OK, given that it was a V6 with a 4-speed automatic.

I always said that, because it had some GM Europe DNA in it - it had the worst of both worlds. Domestic depreciation coupled with Euro maintenance costs.

I looked at the Camry SE V6 (wife dismissed it with one look), the Accord V6 and the Passat V6 AWD. The Accord and Passat were just out of my budget; they were around $30K whereas the Saturn was something like $26K.

I will say that I truly enjoyed the Saturn experience. Yeah, you couldn't negotiate on the price, but they were genuinely focused on customer service - both in the sales and service departments. My immediate family ended up buying 3 more new, and 1 used, Saturn, after that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I took a 72 month loan on my truck 2 years ago, but it should be paid off in another 6 months.
    Weren't those L300's based on the SAAB 9-5? Both could be equipped with a 3.0 v6, but the SAAB an asymmetrical turbo setup.
    My wife had a 9-5 wagon.

There was some GM Europe DNA in the L-Series, but they were built in the old Wilmington, DE GM plant.

Note: Looking at Wikipedia, it does seem the L-Series was based on the Opel Vectra, which also contributed to the Saab 9-3 and 9-5.

Here are a couple pics of mine, when I first got it home from the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

we got a 60 month loan on the RDX, but that is because of the .9% financing. If I got it at market rate would be paying off early, but not at that low a rate. I think our entire interest component is about $600, so a whopping $10/month. So I expect to just ride that out.

the last one had a 5 year loan also (at normal rate though) and we paid that to term (thanks to college) but did keep it another 3 years (well, 2.5) after that was done. And we definitely will be keeping this one past the loan term too.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited April 2020
    suydam said:

Yes, we did a 5 year loan when we bought the Volt but intend to pay it off in 3.

The only car I financed for 5 years was because I got 0%. My in-laws bought a Chrysler/Fiat with 84 month financing. I winced when I heard that since they were originally planning on leasing but the residual after 3 years was so low the lease was more than buying.

EDIT: I did the Ford too for 5 years @ 1.89% but I paid that off early so it doesn’t count.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The T&C was a 72-mo. I think 1.9%. And we rolled EVERYTHING into it. Its 6-yr anniversary is next month, has under 70k miles, and was paid off in like Sept or Oct I think.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

I believe that Vader once owned the Yanks.
    Ok, maybe the local alternative:

Let's go Mets!
    Amazin', amazin', amazin'
    RC Cola, Rheingold, Plymouth
    Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner
    Ya gotta believe!
    The true Tom Terrific
    Mookie woulda beat it out anyway!

Yes, grew up a Mets fan, but never the Yanks.

Everybody sing!

Meet The Mets
    Meet The Mets
    Step right up and Greet The Mets
    Bring your kiddies,
    Bring your wife,
    Guarenteed to have the time of your life
    Because the Mets are really socking the ball
    Knocking those home runs over the wall
    East Side
    West Side
    Everybody's going down
    To Meet the M-E-T-S Mets,
    Of New York Town

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Thanks so much everybody for the birthday wishes!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD