Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Thanks JMonroe! "Life was better when we didn't know what we didn't want to know."!!

You're welcome.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• blackjackmarkblackjackmark Member Posts: 8
    Trade in value for the following would be appreciated

2016 Kia Optima SXL
    Snow White Pearl exterior with black leather interior
    48,000 miles
    Zip 61820

Non-smoker I think it's in great condition but value bases on good just to low-ball.

Black Book shows $15k+, KBB.com is at $14.5-$16.7
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

Trade in value for the following would be appreciated

2016 Kia Optima SXL
    Snow White Pearl exterior with black leather interior
    48,000 miles
    Zip 61820

Non-smoker I think it's in great condition but value bases on good just to low-ball.

Black Book shows $15k+, KBB.com is at $14.5-$16.7

I don't think I can answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806

"I don't think I can answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people".

Should be "interesting" to see what happens with both the used, & new car market. How do you even buy a used car w/o worrying that the former owner, or one of their passengers, had the Covid 19? Do you de-contaminate the car? May sound extreme, but everything is sounding extreme these days. Or: there could be some good deals popping up for buyers who still have cash (?).

And new cars: I heard an interview with the CEO of Mercedes, & apparently their sales are way off, no surprise. Going into a car dealership can be an awful enough experience w/o also worrying about getting the corona virus from the salesperson.....it's scary enough in some areas just to go grocery shopping.

Not that any of that is so important compared to the problems for Covid19 patients, health care workers, mass lay-offs, etc.
    I lives for 72 hrs on hard surfaces, and less on porous, so don't get in it for 72 hrs after delivery and you should be good. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    qbrozen said:

I lives for 72 hrs on hard surfaces, and less on porous, so don't get in it for 72 hrs after delivery and you should be good. ;)

Yes, or just spray the whole thing down with Lysol (if you can find any!). :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53
    Hey fellas - I'm about to turn in a lease and I'm pretty sure I already got the better end of the residual value but wanted to confirm. Can you give me a value on a 2017 Kia Cadenza Limited V6 in Graphite exterior with black leather? It's in excellent condition and only has about 12k miles.

Hey fellas - I'm about to turn in a lease and I'm pretty sure I already got the better end of the residual value but wanted to confirm. Can you give me a value on a 2017 Kia Cadenza Limited V6 in Graphite exterior with black leather? It's in excellent condition and only has about 12k miles.

I am unable to answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people.

• therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53
    qbrozen said:

I am unable to answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people.
    No problem - I appreciate the heads up. Hope you are weathering the storm well.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Supposedly in China, used car sales are bonkers as people fear using public transportation as things open back up. I don't think this applies to the US as much since fewer Americans use public transportation and many already have a private car, but it's interesting nonetheless.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Maybe, some pent up demand. China new passenger vehicle sales were down over 80% for February, 2020 vs. 2019.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    So, I know you are technically closed for business (though personally I think you are essential!) so looking for a "middle of a pandemic gut feeling WAG" for my sister. In case she wants to pull trigger on a new car this month.

she has a 2009 Acura TSX. Dark red over black leather. Not a tech. Good shape overall, always dealer maintained. 1 owner. Pretty sure clean carfax, but I think she had the front bumper "refreshed" at one point, and some scratches and minor dings taken care of. But as of a few months ago, last I saw it, showed nice enough. Just a clean used car.

about 114,000 miles on it now.

I know it is probably a much better candidate for a private sale, but she is not doing that.

so, what do you think would be a number that is not too horrible to shoot for (at a Subaru dealer most likely?)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

WAG = $3k-$3500

thanks. that was going to be my guess also. If I actually needed a spare car now I would buy it for that.

• bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Hi: My brother is looking to trade his truck for a new one. Here's the details he sent me on his current ride:
    Trade in-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco with 120k miles in very good condition. Tow package, heated seats (gray cloth I believe), side step rails, cruise control, backup camera, bed liner, four doors, long bed and pearl blue. Location: Pensacola, Florida

If I've missed anything else, let me know and I'll try and get more from him. Thanks in advance!
    I am unable to provide accurate right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations. My info would be severely outdated in this climate.

I’d give a guess, but you didn’t mention 4wd or 2wd.

But, don’t trade in a diesel truck. Private sale all the way.

• Huge_ColonHuge_Colon Member Posts: 4
    I know it's a little up in the air right now, but any thoughts on trade-in value for a 2018 Ford Escape Titanium with 40k miles? Sunroof, Safe & Smart package, and 19" brt mach alum wheels. Thanks.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    @Huge_Colon see the post right above yours. I gather from your profile info that you are in NJ. If it is possible for @qbrozen to provide a guess, he will need to know the color of the vehicle, whether it's FWD or AWD, and whether it has a clean Carfax.

(There used to be a sticky at the beginning of the topic page advising people they need to provide this info, but I don't see it anymore.)
  • Huge_ColonHuge_Colon Member Posts: 4
    Gotcha, my bad. Ext is black, Int is charcoal. AWD. Single owner, no accidents. Yeah, an educated guess is all I was hoping for, lol. Thanks.
    $14k-$14.5k, I hope.

• nuetron79nuetron79 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I see information may be delayed but wanted ballpark for 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum RWD, 51K, Forged Copper/Tan leather, single owner, clean CarFax. Just checking if worth looking at new car at end of the month. Thx.
    nuetron79 said:

Hi,
    I see information may be delayed but wanted ballpark for 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum RWD, 51K, Forged Copper/Tan leather, single owner, clean CarFax. Just checking if worth looking at new car at end of the month. Thx.

Miles are up there. Probably looking at about $25k-$26k.

• cjd260cjd260 Member Posts: 11
    Hi qb, any guess on dealer trade-in for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with 66k miles, Stormy Blue Mica w. tan leather, single owner and clean CarFax, but in fair condition (mechanically perfect, nothing needs to be replaced and no tears etc., but she definitely needs a good detail), Boston area? Similar to Neutron, I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep it around for another year or jump on a lease offer.
    cjd260 said:

Hi qb, any guess on dealer trade-in for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with 66k miles, Stormy Blue Mica w. tan leather, single owner and clean CarFax, but in fair condition (mechanically perfect, nothing needs to be replaced and no tears etc., but she definitely needs a good detail), Boston area? Similar to Neutron, I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep it around for another year or jump on a lease offer.

Maybe $9k-$9500.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited May 2020
    Q,

Can you give me an auction swag for my mom’s car?

2016 Volvo V60 CC T5 AWD Premiere.
    42k miles.
    Black over Black Leather.
    Nav, BLIS, backup camera, park assist, heated seats.

Great condition other than the obvious mechanical repairs we just went through.

Philly area.

Carvana hit it at $17,7 and Vroom at $16,3.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Q,

Can you give me an auction swag for my mom’s car?

2016 Volvo V60 CC T5 AWD Premiere.
    42k miles.
    Black over Black Leather.
    Nav, BLIS, backup camera, park assist, heated seats.

Great condition other than the obvious mechanical repairs we just went through.

Philly area.

Carvana hit it at $17,7 and Vroom at $16,3.

Ugh. Only 1 comp this whole year thus far and that had 28k miles and sold for $16.4k.

Well that explains a lot...first hit was at $16,5 from the dealer...sounds like they're going to come up a bit. I'll report back.
    edited June 2020
    Dealer ended up coming in at $17,2XX on the trade. With tax savings, the value was over $18, which exceeded the carvana offer.

Thanks for the assist Q!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Any idea when the auctions will resumer?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

Dealer ended up coming in at $17,2XX on the trade. With tax savings, the value was over $18, which exceeded the carvana offer.

Thanks for the assist Q!

I think I missed it. what did they end up getting instead?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @stickguy,
    It's on CCBA.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    yeah, I just saw it. read the threads in the wrong order!

• squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Q, or anyone really who's willing, any ideas on pp or dlr retail on a 2013 Kia Soul plus, white, auto, 54k, supposedly one owner, reasonably clean?

Many thanks,
    Squirrel

Q, or anyone really who's willing, any ideas on pp or dlr retail on a 2013 Kia Soul plus, white, auto, 54k, supposedly one owner, reasonably clean?

Many thanks,
    Squirrel

$5k, maybe $5500. Give or take a few hundred, depending on where you live.

• squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Thanks, man. St Louis MO if it matters but unless that skews it greatly, no need to post back!
    $80 to your advantage. lol.
    But condition can help if better than average. So maybe closer to that $5500 number you could push for.With the low miles, you should try carvana/vroom to see what they will give you. I wouldn't be surprised if they were over $6k.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2020
    I hope auctions will resume soon and traffic on this site will pick up. I'm losing my touch. Two things that came to my attention here in mid-MI:

- at my favorite used-car lot, a 2013 Honda Fit in silver, base, meaning AC & power equipment but no cruise, roof, or alloys, with 51k miles, shod in Michelins with some tread on them, clean, went for $6,800. Manual transmission.
    I was sorely tempted but didn't want to lose my Ford Fusion that we've only owned for a few months and that's been excellent... but that struck me as a really good deal.

- A friend of a friend's grandpa can't drive anymore. 2013 Grand Caravan SXT with 64k miles, clean, they want in the 8s. I don't really have a feel for it but that might be an easy sell. Despite the better equipment, I'm in no hurry to swap it for my low-rent 2017 with 36k that I only paid $20 for brand new. Still when I was looking for a used one, I would have been interested... anything that looked good in the ad and was reasonably priced was gone by the time I called, so I finally went new.

Everybody knows that used minivans 'don't sell well', but try finding one. I think it's more that lots of people are lousy parents and the vans are trashed inside. Clean ones are hard to find, and they get snapped up.

Anyway I'm posting just for amusement and practice, as the Fit has been sold and the other one ain't my problem. Low-mile cars aren't of much use to me; I had a 5 mile round-trip 'commute' back when I didn't work from home, and mostly biked anyway. Now I really don't need to drive anywhere, and the rest of the family is similar.

cheers -mathias
    A fusion is a far nicer vehicle to spend time in than a fit, so no loss there.

I have been able to get most values, or at least get an idea. Some vehicles are tougher than others, as you can imagine. If you only get a few recent Accord comps, the odds of finding even one Porsche comp are slim-to-none.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Hard to believe but I've been out of the business for ten years now. I'm still friends with the managers and some of the sales staff at my old store and I try to keep up a bit. It seems that the resale values on the Korean makes has improved quite a bit? It used to be they went begging. They made the mistake of trying to elbow their way into an already crowded market with substandard cars. Anyone remember Daewoo? They did get their act together but a lot of people shied away. The newer offerings look MUCH better! Anyone have a feel on resale values now? Q ? They used to be really "back of book" cars!

Hard to believe but I've been out of the business for ten years now. I'm still friends with the managers and some of the sales staff at my old store and I try to keep up a bit. It seems that the resale values on the Korean makes has improved quite a bit? It used to be they went begging. They made the mistake of trying to elbow their way into an already crowded market with substandard cars. Anyone remember Daewoo? They did get their act together but a lot of people shied away. The newer offerings look MUCH better! Anyone have a feel on resale values now? Q ? They used to be really "back of book" cars!

They have certainly improved, but it really varies by model. A used Elantra is still a better value than a CamCord thanks to the extra depreciation. They are also cheaper new, I believe? So percentage-wise, not bad. I recently sold my 4-mo-old Ioniq for a profit to Vroom. Had HUGE incentives to help when I leased it. You buy them right and I think they can do OK for you.

I did real good on my Elantra sport after having it only 15 months.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I'm intrigued by the Ioniq though and the way it drives plus the real world mpg's. The few folks who own them that I've asked all seem to like them. Said the mpg's were better than expected and all were happy with their choice. Q, was your experience a positive or a negative overall. I was personally surprised that you cut it from the herd after such a short time, but since you made money on the deal, ya done real good there. Not sure I'd ever be able cut one from the herd after only four months though I waited about 375 days to do the exact same thing back at the end of 2014 with the Tucson. Must be a Hyundai thing! My own fault there and I knew pretty darn quick that I f'ed up, big time. I should've just unraveled the deal within that first week but just didn't. Looking back, I knew I screwed up when I left the dealership to go home and passed a new Elantra GT outside the showroom, and it stopped me in my tracks! I knew right then I messed up big time but guess was too embarrassed to go back inside and start the process all over again. Really dumb I know so going forward, made damn sure the Golf was what I really really wanted!
    Funny thing is I bet it happens a lot, folks just make the wrong choice but do turn things around. And isn't there a certain time period that one can change things? I know my mother-in-law did with her Oldsmobile back in 1990. So for me, will start the search but will take my time and do it right so I get what I really want.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Sandy, an unsolicited opinion for you about your next car. Given your point in life (semi retired, part time work super close to home, maybe full retired in a year or 2), and likely putting low miles on going forward, just get what makes you happy without paying much if any attention to MPG. If you are doing maybe 4-5,000 miles a year, tops, it just won’t make much difference. And really not worth it if it means giving up your dream car for something you just sorta live with.

That’s how I ended up with a thirsty (relatively) RDX instead of a hybrid CRV!

Oh, I priced out a loaded Elantra GT N line. I bet you would love that!

The Ioniq was great for the money. The dead battery once bugged me quite a bit. But, yeah, the mileage was just insane. We were somewhere in the 80mpg range, I think, on average. That's, of course, with the electric range. Couldn't really tell you the empg, or whatever the heck they call it. Drove decent, had good tech, etc. And I had the base model.

But, ultimately, yes, I cut it loose for profit and because we weren't using it with this whole shutdown thing. Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving does not make sense.

• foonat1foonat1 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2020
    Can I have an estimate on trade-in value for 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/tech package, black exterior parchment interior, 21k miles, excellent condition, one owner, clean carfax? I'm in Indiana. Thank you!
    foonat1 said:

Can I have an estimate on trade-in value for 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/tech package, black exterior parchment interior, 21k miles, excellent condition, one owner, clean carfax? I'm in Indiana. Thank you!

somewhere in the mid $27k range.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving does not make sense.

Tell me about it....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving does not make sense.

Tell me about it....

Missed the memo here.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    :sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4