Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

So, my wife wants to go look at the CPO 2017 XF S at the dealer. My 25 year old son assures me that it's not an old man's car, but I'm not convinced. It's cheap enough, at $35k.
    A dealer in TN has a gorgeous new RWD Giulia TI Sport, but potential reliability issues and stratospheric depreciation are enough to warn me off.
    What got this whole car hunt started was my wife's interest in a 50th Anniversary 370Z, but virtually every dealer ordered them in silver and black rather than white and red- right now I can't find a single one in the US.. Again, a price of around $35k is tempting- if the color was right.
    If I go with an M2 I want an LCI car, which limits me to 2018-up.
    Might do some more hunting this week.

I don’t think it’s an old man’s car, but I also happen to think you won’t be happy with anything except an M2.
    The more I look the more I think that it would have to be a 2019-up M2 Competition; the 2018 has essentially the same engine and interior as my M235i. The Competition gets you a twin turbo S55 and M Sport seats- plus the manual is even faster than the DCT. The M2C is a full half second quicker than my 2er in the quarter mile. Unfortunately, a 2019 M2C is at least $7,000 over my budget.
    This may come off as biased, but have you considered the Supra?
    Pretty sure that is over budget
    Yeah - wasn’t sure. Looking at the prices for a 2019 M2C and doing the math on what @roadburner said, seems it puts it right around what I paid for my Supra.

But then again, I’m quite certain @roadburner would absolutely want the 382 hp in the 2021.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If you are planning on an @breld resale for your next car, you have to be prepared. You might only have a couple of days to decide and get out there. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    edited June 2020
    @breld is such a good sport with all the flack he gets from us.

Serious question: @Breld have you looked into a dealer license in CO? Might be worthwhile if you could save on some of the registration costs, plus give you access to the auctions...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    It’s been mentioned in passing among my wife and friends, but I’ve never looked into it as a legitimate option. I just assumed it wasn’t feasible, even with my somewhat extreme habit.

8 punches in 2017, 9 in 2018...3 in 2019 and 3 (so far) this year.

I’m trending the right way. :)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Glad the test drive is complete. Now looking forward to the update on dining out for tasty burgers and beer. :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    pensfan83 said:

RDX A Spec test drive complete. Will provide an update when I'm not on my phone and after our al fresco burgers and beers.

At this point, I’m more excited about the burgers and beer than the test drive!

But still curious what you think about it. I never drove an A spec, but from reviews I read, it’s not much different than my tech in how it drives.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    breld said:

As you noted; I hang on to cars for a while; I am less than confident that Toyota techs will be able to properly service/repair it in the short term- never mind over several years. And I'd just prefer a CPO M2C for similar money.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Was poking around on Rodo. Prices overall there, still seem really high. Maybe reflecting low stock levels? I drove past local ford dealer yesterday and lot looks like the wrapping paper aisle at target on 12/26.

Good deal on a TLX. 4 banger tech, 24 month/24,000 miles. $344/month with $344 total DAS. I assume that includes my loyalty.

edited June 2020

breld said:

As you noted; I hang on to cars for a while; I am less than confident that Toyota techs will be able to properly service/repair it in the short term- never mind over several years. And I'd just prefer a CPO M2C for similar money.
    Fair enough. As I was thinking about it more, would you think the 2020 Supra is very similar to your current m235i, just with a different body? Seems like it might be (and from my couple test drives of the m235i back a couple years ago). So, nothing really gained from that move for you anyway.

edited June 2020
    breld said:

Fair enough. As I was thinking about it more, would you think the 2020 Supra is very similar to your current m235i, just with a different body? Seems like it might be (and from my couple test drives of the m235i back a couple years ago). So, nothing really gained from that move for you anyway.

They are similar; the Supra is a few ticks quicker. I'm sure I'd love the driving experience.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

pensfan83 said:

👀

I spy Yuengling. Yum.
  • coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    Great Lakes!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Founder’s All Day IPA is pretty solid.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I see Angry Orchard on tap. Looks like a place I'd like to spend some time at.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

FWIW, my buddy just picked up a 2020 Acura RDX Advance in Chicago this week. Not a lease, a purchase. $49k MSRP for $41,500 + TTL after $3k loyalty, $750 first responder, and $500 recent grad discount. There was a $1500 incentive if you didn't take special financing, which would have put him at $40k even, but he chose to take 0.99% financing for 60 months instead. They also gifted him $5500 for his trade which was a 2010 TSX with major body damage and visible surface rust from not being repaired.

Really nice cars. I find them way more compelling than a comparable X3.
    corvette said:

Founder’s All Day IPA is pretty solid.

Just had one last night after mowing the lawn!

I’ve actually had quite a few of those brands (of the ones I can make out)

FWIW, my buddy just picked up a 2020 Acura RDX Advance in Chicago this week. Not a lease, a purchase. $49k MSRP for $41,500 + TTL after $3k loyalty, $750 first responder, and $500 recent grad discount. There was a $1500 incentive if you didn't take special financing, which would have put him at $40k even, but he chose to take 0.99% financing for 60 months instead. They also gifted him $5500 for his trade which was a 2010 TSX with major body damage and visible surface rust from not being repaired.

Good deal. I never even looked at the advance knowing it had nothing I really needed, and I wasn’t paying the extra $!

stickguy said:

Good deal. I never even looked at the advance knowing it had nothing I really needed, and I wasn’t paying the extra $!
    I tried to suss out what he wanted that was in the Advance that he couldn't get in the Tech and it basically boiled down to four things: (1) Rain sensing wipers, (2) the larger screen on the dash, (3) the surround view camera, and (4) the ELS 3D Audio. If it was only one or two, I'd understand - but 3 and 4 actually made a lot of sense.
    Sounds like a great deal for a really nice compact SUV. My Ex replaced her MDX with an RDX Advanced and it does seem like a great car.

With the modest discounts Honda gives on the CRV the RDX is a really reasonable upgrade.

breld said:

With the modest discounts Honda gives on the CRV the RDX is a really reasonable upgrade.

I agree. I started running the numbers when he reached out and was astonished to see the value proposition. Especially the bump from CR-V Touring to RDX Advanced. Combine that with the fact that the RDX seems to lease better if you prefer that route and it is a no brainer.
    Surround view would not be bad. And I miss the auto wipers. My tlx has that, but not a huge deal. Audio would be a waste for my wife. Screen I would have to see to tell.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    breld said:

8 punches in 2017, 9 in 2018...3 in 2019 and 3 (so far) this year.

I’m trending the right way. :)

Good of you to leave out the 12 from 2016... or 2015... whichever year that was.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    stickguy said:

I drove past local ford dealer yesterday and lot looks like the wrapping paper aisle at target on 12/26.

Same thing here in Fairbanks! I've never seen anything like it. That lot usually has at least a couple hundred in inventory, and it is nearly bare now (no exaggeration). I think there were no more than a handful of new pickups; maybe a few more lightly used.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Headed here tonight with the girl and the dog to have a little mini-celebration for my very first long haul completion....

https://ohiocraftbeer.org/breweries/municipal-brew-works/
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    edited June 2020

Headed here tonight with the girl and the dog to have a little mini-celebration for my very first long haul completion....

I haven't been there, yet. But, we have a memorial service to attend in Hamilton on Saturday at Noon. That might be a good place to drown my sorrows, afterwards.

Their direct website:
    http://www.municipal.beer/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I drove past local ford dealer yesterday and lot looks like the wrapping paper aisle at target on 12/26.

Same thing here in Fairbanks! I've never seen anything like it. That lot usually has at least a couple hundred in inventory, and it is nearly bare now (no exaggeration). I think there were no more than a handful of new pickups; maybe a few more lightly used.

I think they moved the cars around to space them out to hide some of the empty space. Kinda like a balding guy doing a comb over.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

I haven't been there, yet. But, we have a memorial service to attend in Hamilton on Saturday at Noon. That might be a good place to drown my sorrows, afterwards.

Their direct website:
    http://www.municipal.beer/
    Been there a couple of times. I like it quite a bit. Hamilton lets you wander around the river area with your open container. Plus, you can walk across the Great Miami River to the restaurants on the other side of the bridge. They normally have food trucks nearby, too. Quaint little shops and even a vinyl record store along the main drag, too.

Beer's good, too (try Approachable Blonde). Freshest beer I've ever had.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    I walked the lot at the Family owned Ford dealer where I get my truck serviced. They had almost 60 F 150's.
    Didn't see any that interested me. :(
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acura-rdx-android-auto-update/

"Good news, Acura RDX owners: You get Android Auto now
    Android Auto is rolling out to all third-generation RDX models as of this week.

Sean Szymkowski headshot
    Sean Szymkowski
    Nov. 6, 2019 12:10 p.m. PT"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    This is not exactly exciting news like @roadburner’s next purchase, but many of us have enjoyed (or continue to enjoy) the indisputable benefits a minivan offers. Our last one was the Sedona, and Kia continues to make a darn good looking van (IMO).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32951664/2022-kia-sedona-revealed/

sharp looking. Pretty much a Telluride with sliding doors.

I think it looks more like the Ford Flex, which I love.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I guess they are letting Chrysler and Toyota have the AWD minivan market.
    Probably good that this car is in California:
    Der Neue Klasse

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited June 2020
    Breld, "extreme habit"? I'd say, "extreme addiction" but using addiction with a positive spin here! You do what so many of us would love to do, swap out of all kinds of automobiles when ever the mood strikes. Having a great & understanding wife who enables as well as joins in at times makes things so much easier to. I've always said that I need a 7 garage house so I can have a different car for every day of the week. It would be like a dream come true!
    Right now, I'm fighting the strong urge to swap out my Golf for something new now that the oil leak has been found & fixed. Also knowing that both axle boots are starting to leak means I'm going to have another expense in awhile, something which is not sitting well with me. Add to that the drivers door key fob issue I had which was pretty costly, the accident in 2018 plus the passenger side mirror replacement in 2017, things have started to add up already. And I'll be hitting only 64K tomorrow! What else can go wrong is the problem now...and how much more money am I going to have to throw at it just to get to 75K miles? I'm really a very unhappy camper right now!
    As much as I love the Golf, all clean from a car wash on the way home from work, I just want something "cheap to keep" going forward. And since you just got a Toyota, have got my sights set on a 2020 Corolla SE hatchback. It's only 172", so 4" longer that my Golf, and I've definitely got the 4" needed. Since we've already got a sedan, no reason to get a second one. And after having driven about a half dozen new 2020 Corolla's this week alone at work, can only say that Toyota did a great job with their CVT transmission. And the "SE" has the nicer aluminum alloys I prefer plus I can get SAT radio with it. Would have to give up my sun/moon roof and the high zoot audio system but that might just have to be a sacrifice needed on my part. And the price is pretty reasonable especially with the 0% financing and two years free service.
    Do like the Buick Encore GX also and it's similar in size. Those are the top two of the short list, now just need to test drive them both and go from there. Also, need to get my wife on board here as she's not sold on my new idea like I am. Knowing that I also put on fresh new rubber last September ain't helping my case mush either. And with using their financing, I won't have to take out a nice chunk of savings, something I like. And I can always do an extra payment every so often depending on how some of my investments pan out after their recent drop. And since we each pay for our own automobile purchases, shouldn't be a problem.
    But, think I'm just about ready to start the process moving and see where it all leads. Am off tomorrow, so plan to clean out the interior as it's a real mess. Just hoping the 0% financing holds out through July 4th and better yet, through Labor Day, as it might take me that long to make a decision. This would all be so much easier if I really didn't like the Golf or was just plain tired of it. I'm just tired of all these repairs needed and how much they're starting to cost. If I could be guaranteed that nothing else would go wrong and not another dime wold be spent until I hit 75K, I'd be thrilled and just keep the ole girl. But that ain't the case and the unknown is getting to me now and now that things are temporarily cleaned up, might just be the time to swap out of it! I just don't know here!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

like that BMW, but looks so wrong with the slushbox.

Sandy, don't settle. Don't. Under any circumstances, don't talk yourself into giving up something you really want.

sit down and make a list of all possible attributes. Then assign a rating to them. maybe a 1-5 scale, with 5 being "must have, deal breaker", 4 maybe "would really like, but would trade off for something else if need be". On down to "don't care in the least".

they don't buy anything that does not hit all your 5s, and if possible, covers all your 4s.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    That’s one good looking van, IMO

Agree with @stickguy ... don’t settle. A few thousand more to get what you want is money well spent! I saw an Encore GX in white and it’s a nice ride. I just don’t see you being happy in a Corolla.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

darn. back down the BaT hole!

this is gorgeous. Slightly over budget of course!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-4/

I would probably be better off sticking with something like this.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-mr2-21/

this is also super cool. Needs some finishing (mostly interior) but should be easy. Not the holy grail 2 door, but I do love wagons.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-510-station-wagon-3/

and showing how weird my tastes are, I actually like this mildly modified Pinto. Yes I would drive it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ford-pinto-3/

nice example of a classic Pathfinder, for not too much money. Too bad it isn't a manual.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-nissan-pathfinder/

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Edmunds gives a mostly positive review of the Corolla Hatchback....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yDnWxBePAE
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Probably good that this car is in California:
    Der Neue Klasse

How could you put an automatic in that car? Even I would want a stick.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Breld, "extreme habit"? I'd say, "extreme addiction" but using addiction with a positive spin here! You do what so many of us would love to do, swap out of all kinds of automobiles when ever the mood strikes. Having a great & understanding wife who enables as well as joins in at times makes things so much easier to. I've always said that I need a 7 garage house so I can have a different car for every day of the week. It would be like a dream come true!
    Right now, I'm fighting the strong urge to swap out my Golf for something new now that the oil leak has been found & fixed. Also knowing that both axle boots are starting to leak means I'm going to have another expense in awhile, something which is not sitting well with me. Add to that the drivers door key fob issue I had which was pretty costly, the accident in 2018 plus the passenger side mirror replacement in 2017, things have started to add up already. And I'll be hitting only 64K tomorrow! What else can go wrong is the problem now...and how much more money am I going to have to throw at it just to get to 75K miles? I'm really a very unhappy camper right now!
    As much as I love the Golf, all clean from a car wash on the way home from work, I just want something "cheap to keep" going forward. And since you just got a Toyota, have got my sights set on a 2020 Corolla SE hatchback. It's only 172", so 4" longer that my Golf, and I've definitely got the 4" needed. Since we've already got a sedan, no reason to get a second one. And after having driven about a half dozen new 2020 Corolla's this week alone at work, can only say that Toyota did a great job with their CVT transmission. And the "SE" has the nicer aluminum alloys I prefer plus I can get SAT radio with it. Would have to give up my sun/moon roof and the high zoot audio system but that might just have to be a sacrifice needed on my part. And the price is pretty reasonable especially with the 0% financing and two years free service.
    Do like the Buick Encore GX also and it's similar in size. Those are the top two of the short list, now just need to test drive them both and go from there. Also, need to get my wife on board here as she's not sold on my new idea like I am. Knowing that I also put on fresh new rubber last September ain't helping my case mush either. And with using their financing, I won't have to take out a nice chunk of savings, something I like. And I can always do an extra payment every so often depending on how some of my investments pan out after their recent drop. And since we each pay for our own automobile purchases, shouldn't be a problem.
    But, think I'm just about ready to start the process moving and see where it all leads. Am off tomorrow, so plan to clean out the interior as it's a real mess. Just hoping the 0% financing holds out through July 4th and better yet, through Labor Day, as it might take me that long to make a decision. This would all be so much easier if I really didn't like the Golf or was just plain tired of it. I'm just tired of all these repairs needed and how much they're starting to cost. If I could be guaranteed that nothing else would go wrong and not another dime wold be spent until I hit 75K, I'd be thrilled and just keep the ole girl. But that ain't the case and the unknown is getting to me now and now that things are temporarily cleaned up, might just be the time to swap out of it! I just don't know here!

Sounds like getting the wife on board is your main issue. I know I’d be reluctant to throw down a lot of money without my wife’s encouragement. Maybe if you point out the increasingly costly repair projections and the accompanying safety concerns she might see it your way. Also point out that the Toyota will last forever, never break, never need oil or gas and will drive itself home.😄😄😄

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

darn. back down the BaT hole!

this is gorgeous. Slightly over budget of course!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-4/

I would probably be better off sticking with something like this.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-mr2-21/

this is also super cool. Needs some finishing (mostly interior) but should be easy. Not the holy grail 2 door, but I do love wagons.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-510-station-wagon-3/

That trans am would be a dream car but that TMU would be a red flag.

The Toyota had severe damage. What does that even mean? You might end up driving sideways.

The Datsun just looks boring to me.