Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited August 2020
    akangl said:

I've been out of the SUV loop for almost 4 years, so unless some miracle happens (like my Cherokee fixes itself) I'm shopping this week. What should I look at? Here's my short (or not) list. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe, Blazer, VW Atlas Cross Sport, XC60 (Why not I know it can take a hit!), and Rav 4. Basically it has to be SAFE, have some fun factor, AWD, trying to stay under $50k, and no smaller than the Cherokee. I don't drive much, maybe 9-10k/year so gas mileage isn't a huge factor.

Glad you are OK. The Jeep did its job and protected you.

Out of the group I’d try the Santa Fe and the XC60 first. My mom has a RAV (middle of the line XLE AWD) it’s much improved over the previous generation but I just can’t warm up to it.

The Jeeps are nice but both pretty long in the tooth. The Blazer gets pricey but has good roots and certainly wouldn’t be a bad one to own, I just don’t think it’s anything special.

May want to add a Honda Passport to the list. It’s a shrunken Pilot, and nicely done.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    edited August 2020

corvette said:

Is that a V90? I love

stickguy said:

I am sure it was a T5, so the base 2.0T with something like 250 HP.

Yes, I saw T5 on the tailgate.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    akangl said:

I've been out of the SUV loop for almost 4 years, so unless some miracle happens (like my Cherokee fixes itself) I'm shopping this week. What should I look at? Here's my short (or not) list. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe, Blazer, VW Atlas Cross Sport, XC60 (Why not I know it can take a hit!), and Rav 4. Basically it has to be SAFE, have some fun factor, AWD, trying to stay under $50k, and no smaller than the Cherokee. I don't drive much, maybe 9-10k/year so gas mileage isn't a huge factor.

Sorry to see that accident.

Grand Cherokee is nice if you can afford it but if you have a concussion you might not want to be making big decisions for awhile.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:

I am sure it was a T5, so the base 2.0T with something like 250 HP.

Yes, I saw T5 on the tailgate.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    @akangl - "We are all more or less ok, my knee is banged up, I have a concussion, my little guy is scared to ride in a car, hubby is bruised and sore."
    VERY glad it was no worse !
    Take care - and good to see you back here.
    - Ray
    Slacker - only 1 vehicle, still...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Wow, @akangl , tough way to go car-shopping. Hope you are OK.

The current model Cherokee has some updates that seem to improve its reviews so certainly it is worth a look. One vehicle I like that seems often overlooked is the GMC Acadia, not as huge as the Enclave and Traverse. I do quite like the VW Cross Sport, but it seemed pricey to me and VW reliability long-term scares me. Does a Highlander meet your price criteria?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I liked the Santa Fe a lot. Hard to go wrong there. Also the outback XT.

On the RAV stick With hybrid. Even better, look at the Venza.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    edited August 2020
    tjc78 said:

akangl said:

Glad you are OK. The Jeep did its job and protected you.
    +1 That Jeep is one seriously tough SUV.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @akangl - since you really liked the Cherokee and it served you well in this unfortunate accident, a Grand Cherokee may be a great option. As long in the tooth as it is, they’ve done a great job of keeping it updated with tech and its infotainment system.

And at this point, you’d think they’ve worked any bugs out. And good deals should be able to be had with little trouble.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @akangl ....OUCH! Glad to see you back here (even under stressful conditions). Even happier to hear you’re OK!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Wow, that looks bad....glad you are OK. I'll throw my vote in for a Grand Cherokee as well, that was our fall back had the RDX not worked out.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    That does look bad @akangl, glad everyone was OK.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Sorry about your accident, @akangl , hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    benjaminh said:

@pensfan83 : What do you think about your new RDX so far?

@akangl : Glad you and your family are more or less ok. Best wishes.

So far, so good. It drives quite well and the powertrain is well sorted. The sport seats are supportive and comfortable, the stereo is as advertised, and the infotainment is far more modern. If I had to nitpick anything at this point the steering feels overly boosted and artificial, even in sport mode. I'll have to try Sport+ mode to see if that makes a difference but seeing as I'll be driving this less than half the time I'm not too concerned. Otherwise we're pretty happy with it so far.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OY5kLez/2016-audi-s4?c=all

Getting rich...anyone want to contribute to my bidding fund? I'm a little low on cash supply.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Getting up there.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    akangl said:

I've thought about getting a new one but I'm not sure I can get past comparing the 2, I adored this Jeep, it never gave me a seconds trouble, always kept me out of trouble in the winter, took a hit by an F-250 in 2018 like a boss. It was just an awesome Jeep.

We are all more or less ok, my knee is banged up, I have a concussion, my little guy is scared to ride in a car, hubby is bruised and sore.

I hit her going around 50 mph, I never even had time to react, she stopped right in front of me.

Ouch; damn. That's a major impact - I'm certain that car is not coming away with title unbranded.

It was not your first good experience with a car, and it won't be the last! Just search the gamut of the market and get what you like for this next go. If it is another Jeep, then just enjoy it; there's no reason you cannot carry your fond memories of this one with you, and, if the new one doesn't stack up, then it deserves whatever comparisons you make. :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Getting rich...anyone want to contribute to my bidding fund? I'm a little low on cash supply.

Yeah, I think that one is quickly moving into the, "it only makes sense if you *really* want it" territory.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    This went cheap. Would have been tempting for my spare/cheap/toy 2nd car.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZMDZbao/1995-mercedes-benz-sl320

• Options
    xwesx said:

andres3 said:

Yeah, I think that one is quickly moving into the, "it only makes sense if you *really* want it" territory.
    For what it's worth, KBB trade is around $26-27k. Given the rarity of the car and its apparent condition, I'd have no problem dropping low $30k's on it.

If I hadn't just purchased the Supra earlier this summer, I'd strongly consider it. That manual in the S4 is sublime - very easy to modulate even in heavy traffic. With some proper snow tires, it also got me through one of the worst snowstorms in recent history in Denver too, after I had stayed at the office a bit longer than I should have.

• Options
    I need to stop looking at the S4 listing. :)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    breld said:

I need to stop looking at the S4 listing. :)

Yes, you do. :stuck_out_tongue:

I'd take the S4 over the C300 you linked me last night, for what I suspect will be similar money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    My only hope is you hold it long enough so I can buy it from you...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I need to place an order about this time next year with Breld motors, so I can get it next December. That should be just about the right “get bored with it” lead time.

• Options
    stickguy said:

That’s almost cheap enough for me to buy. Probably couldn’t afford to keep it running though.

• Options
    If it’s up to date on maintenance with no immediate needs, probably not too bad for the 2-3k miles a year, max, I would put on it. Wouldn’t suggest it as a daily driver for a long commute though.

• Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    White one is a convertible though. Crazy miles. If legit, less than 1,000 miles per year.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited August 2020
    The 1995 SL: I had a ‘96, I bought new, one of the most disappointing cars I’ve had. The car was boring to drive, except for nice cornering, and ergonomics really were just, meh.
  • Options
    The S4 bidding is heating up.

I'm not one of the bidders.

• Options
    $31,500 for the S4. IMO, that's reasonable for the seller and a great deal for the buyer.

• Options
    That makes for a good auction site!

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    You guys know me, I get bored easily with a car, that Jeep was so fun. Winter time, stick it in snow mode and have a blast, put it in the ditch a few times but it always got out. Summer time and things were too quiet, there's sport mode for that! It was just all around a fun SUV. Other than 2 recalls it never saw the dealership once it left. Reliable until the end, faithful, just awesome. I bought that Jeep on April 21, 2017 with just 12 miles on it, had it for almost 3 1/2 years and 33,979 miles.

I had to go clean it out and pull the plates yesterday, when we were in the accident it had been such a nice day I had the sunroof open, they never tarped it or anything. We've had a lot of rain since then, everything was wet, there was water in the cup holders. I tried to clean it up with napkins as silly as that sounds. I sat in driver's seat one last time in tears, I just can't come to terms that she's really gone. I know to the impound yard she's just another wrecked car but to me she was special. How do I replace that? This is NOT how I want to go car shopping but I have to since we only have the truck right now and hubby still has to go to work and I still have to have a vehicle. I've never hated car shopping so much in my life!!
  • Options
    I already have one long roof; think I could convince my wife to get another?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4d5gvDx/1992-mercedes-benz-300te

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    Michaell said:

I'm going to say, No

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    stickguy said:

That was a good deal, but not so much if you have to ship it cross country.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    I was thinking the same - that's the problem with a low value car, small margins. It's a fine deal at the selling price, but as the normal value isn't exactly tens of thousands higher, you have to be careful with expenses. It appears the wiring harness may have been done on that one, which is a big deal, good driver for someone.

R129s continue to be quite cheap save for the best of the later special edition models, or high spec period AMG conversions.
    qbrozen said:

That was a good deal, but not so much if you have to ship it cross country.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

I'm going to say, No
    Any third car will likely get vetoed, at this point.

But, it doesn't ever prevent me from looking!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited August 2020
    @akangl ,
    Hopefully everyone is feeling better.
    Have fun shopping.
    Do you have a ballpark figure on what you are going to get for the Jeep?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Lots of miles, but what a color combo (the lack of two toning quickly caught my eye). At the current price, worth a gamble, just be careful - PPI would tell a lot, but it appears cared for.
    Michaell said:

• Options
    breld said:

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

For what it's worth, KBB trade is around $26-27k. Given the rarity of the car and its apparent condition, I'd have no problem dropping low $30k's on it.

If I hadn't just purchased the Supra earlier this summer, I'd strongly consider it. That manual in the S4 is sublime - very easy to modulate even in heavy traffic. With some proper snow tires, it also got me through one of the worst snowstorms in recent history in Denver too, after I had stayed at the office a bit longer than I should have.
    Agreed, the car is a real sleeper, and underrated IMHO. Pretty close to a perfect car. I think I'm such a dual clutch fan and the 7-speed is a special awesome DSG unit, but that S4 was FULLY LOADED with very desirable options. It went for $31,500 and that's a good fair price, the market spoke. I'd of paid that much if I hadn't wasted $24K on my A4 13 months ago (which Carvana only offered 13,749 on yesterday).

If Carvana had offered me 15K, I'd of gone 30K. If Carvana had offered $16K, I might have gone 32K Couldn't justify more than double.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281

@akangel,
    Have fun shopping.

Not even close to enjoying car shopping, I just want my Jeep back. No clue what I'll get for it, probably enough to pay it off hopefully, they depreciate so fast and it wasn't paid off. I would have happily kept paying on it, I was completely content with it, it was my forever car, I finally found my happy place.

• Options
    akangl said:

This is NOT how I want to go car shopping but I have to since we only have the truck right now and hubby still has to go to work and I still have to have a vehicle. I've never hated car shopping so much in my life!!

I do not mean to interrupt your momentum while you're waxing poetic... Just wanted to point out that this may be the first time in your life that you "hated car shopping." Prior posts tended to contain an edge of excitement about the process. ;)
  • Options
    sharp looking wagon. I suspect I would get bored with it pretty quick though.

• Options
    akangl said:

@akangel,
    Have fun shopping.

Not even close to enjoying car shopping, I just want my Jeep back. No clue what I'll get for it, probably enough to pay it off hopefully, they depreciate so fast and it wasn't paid off. I would have happily kept paying on it, I was completely content with it, it was my forever car, I finally found my happy place.

I know how you feel, though . My wife was the same way about her 2010 Forester. Even replacing it with basically the same car doesn't satiate her fond memories of the one she lost. I think part of it is just the tragedy of losing the car in such a way. It takes away all choice and closure.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    xwesx said:

akangl said:

@akangel,
    Have fun shopping.

I know how you feel, though . My wife was the same way about her 2010 Forester. Even replacing it with basically the same car doesn't satiate her fond memories of the one she lost. I think part of it is just the tragedy of losing the car in such a way. It takes away all choice and closure.
    On the other hand.. if someone would have RAMmed my Neon at 55 MPH when the transmission was starting to slip at 55,000 miles, I'd have been celebrating and throwing parties.

However, the flawless '05 Civic that saw the dealer exactly 0 times in 2 years; yeah, a bit sad and frustrating.
  • Options
    I am not very sentimental. I switch into shop mode really quick. and when we trade one in, I pat it goodbye and don't look back!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @akangel,
    One thing in your favor is that used vehicle prices are pretty high right now, although previous accident may come into play.
    I think the number they will give you includes sales tax.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    akangl said:

@akangel,
    Have fun shopping.

Car shopping isn't fun when you're forced to replace a car you like/love/whatever!

And then you settle and find yourself shopping again after a shorter time... which is what this group is good for!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Like the look, like the color, like the interior. But those miles tho.