Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Not the greatest pedigree...
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    VW will continue to service it under warranty, UNLESS they can prove that the issue that is occurring is due to the stage 2 intake. If that occurs, then it gets flagged as modified and cannot be warrantied for that issue again.

There is no shortage of GTIs out there - pass on this one.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I just looked at the pretty pictures. :(

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    breld said:

Did anyone else see this in the comments section for the blue GTI on carsandbids?

we were told that the front mesh on the grill was broken in a fit of rage from the previous owner, that he kicked the grill.

Maybe it wasn’t the car’s fault. Perhaps his wife ran off with the VW service advisor.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    breld said:

Did anyone else see this in the comments section for the blue GTI on carsandbids?

we were told that the front mesh on the grill was broken in a fit of rage from the previous owner, that he kicked the grill.

Some fine upstanding citizen did that to my Jag last year.
    I queried on C & C thread, too, does anyone have any experience with Toll Brothers home builders?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,125

breld said:

I queried on C & C thread, too, does anyone have any experience with Toll Brothers home builders?
    Toll Bros build here in Colorado, but they are in a price bracket that my budget won't stretch to, so I've never walked through any of their homes.

@breld might have, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Thanks, Michaell.

And, for you GTI fans:

https://www.vwnorwood.com/searchnew.aspx?Model=Golf GTI

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited September 2020

They've built a few subdivisions close to our house. I can't speak to problems or how they handle customers, but they do build some very nice homes. As @Michaell said, a bit pricey.
    I only had experience a few decades ago. I know for s bit they were considered to be building big places that looked flashy but were cheap where you couldn’t see. But I believe there have been multiple buyouts and industry consolidations since then, so that urban legend is probably useless now.

Thanks, for the responses. That's my scuttlebutt knowledge of Toll, they look good and luxurious, but under the hood, not so much. But, that's from years ago, mostly a development from my former town here in MA.

And, being in the Boston area, like most in the Northeast, expensive is my middle name! My savings account laughs constantly at my middle name...

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    stickguy said:

I only had experience a few decades ago. I know for s bit they were considered to be building big places that looked flashy but were cheap where you couldn’t see.

That sounds like the very definition of a McMansion.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited September 2020
    We had a Toll Brothers home on our shortlist last year. Wife and I have always admired their houses, but for our search, we found a much better value with another builder. That Toll Brothers home did have a 4-car garage, which would have been great. The biggest downside was they spec'd this home with only a half basement, which ended up being the real deal killer as we wanted a nicely finished basement.

But I've never heard anything negative regarding their build quality, FWIW.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• rittmeisterrittmeister Member Posts: 1
    Hi- my name is Andy and I have OCD (obsessive car disorder). Not just buying cars, but modding them, buying and selling them, shipping them, restoring them, racing them, cleaning them, taking pictures, everything. If you asked me whether I would choose to eat today or get a car with a full tank of gas to drive for the day, I’d starve myself. I’m 35 years old now and have had 82 cars, 50 of them Porsches... anywhere from 3-12 at a given time since I started driving. I have taken some control over my addiction, as I have only bought 2 vehicles this year (military Humvee and a 991 Carrera S). It’s been hard on my personal and professional life, but I’m making strides every day to resist the “Buy It Now” or “Is this item still available” buttons. Here to offer support for others like me afflicted with this disease. Thanks for letting me speak openly and for the support. 🙏
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Hi- my name is Andy and I have OCD (obsessive car disorder). Not just buying cars, but modding them, buying and selling them, shipping them, restoring them, racing them, cleaning them, taking pictures, everything. If you asked me whether I would choose to eat today or get a car with a full tank of gas to drive for the day, I’d starve myself. I’m 35 years old now and have had 82 cars, 50 of them Porsches... anywhere from 3-12 at a given time since I started driving. I have taken some control over my addiction, as I have only bought 2 vehicles this year (military Humvee and a 991 Carrera S). It’s been hard on my personal and professional life, but I’m making strides every day to resist the “Buy It Now” or “Is this item still available” buttons. Here to offer support for others like me afflicted with this disease. Thanks for letting me speak openly and for the support. 🙏

11 yrs my junior and 30 cars my senior. That is definitely a problem. Are you married, Andy? How much garage space do you have to serve all these cars?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I don’t feel bad that I was cruising some listings and scoping out cars I drove by today while out running errands!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

breld said:

High end production homes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Interesting. I could deal with that. Though color combo is bad. With records and recent service, price maybe not too bad. Not like there are many out there.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Welcome Andy. You've found the right place. 50 Porsches? Jeez. I've only dreamed of owning one. What's currently in your fleet? Year/Make/Model/Color/Transmission?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This is nice looking. On my long list of cars I always wanted and looked at a few times.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/K1dd5N0j/1992-toyota-mr2

And this one is a real throwback. Love the color combo.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LekWpRV/1981-honda-accord-lx-hatchback

edited September 2020
    @rittmeister -

I welcome anyone who may take some of the flak off myself. :)

stickguy said:

Last year for the Gen I Accord

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

11 yrs my junior and 30 cars my senior. That is definitely a problem. Are you married, Andy? How much garage space do you have to serve all these cars?
    Isn’t this more of an enabling group than a support group? At least he has a higher class addiction.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

This is nice looking. On my long list of cars I always wanted and looked at a few times.

I like that one even though it’s already too rich for me with 6 days left. Should go for about double that.

stickguy said:

Are parts still available for that?

probably are. they are pretty basic, and made a ton of them. and the mechanical parts likely carried over.

stickguy said:

I like that one even though it’s already too rich for me with 6 days left. Should go for about double that.
    if that gets into the 14,000+ range I would be out anyway. To much for a toy like that.

qbrozen said:

Isn’t this more of an enabling group than a support group? At least he has a higher class addiction.
    Well, now, we don’t know the whole story yet. Maybe he owned a Porsche graveyard.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,125
    If it wasn't black on black, it would have my interest.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

same here. That, and being in Seattle.

so day 1 of being carless. Some random things the I saw while poking around that piqued my interest for one reason or another.

2018 GTI. That the fine folks hear quickly picked holes in! But still pretty.
    2013 GTI. No pictures or price yet. But at least should be somewhat budget friendly.
    2009 Corolla S. 125K miles. Overpriced.

only constant? all have 3 pedals!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. One thing though these days, no longer able to just wander around when bored and pop in and out of showrooms taking random test drives.

New Z reveal...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34016940/nissan-z-proto-revealed/

I appreciate the relatively simple clean lines. At first blush, it seems too much of an amalgamation of previous Z elements without a cohesive overall design.

But, I’ll reserve judgment for when I see it in the flesh. The fact that Nissan is doing it at all (and on their own) and a manual is offered from the get go are wonderful things.

stickguy said:

so day 1 of being carless. Some random things the I saw while poking around that piqued my interest for one reason or another.

2013 GTI. No pictures or price yet. But at least should be somewhat budget friendly.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. One thing though these days, no longer able to just wander around when bored and pop in and out of showrooms taking random test drives.

“One of these things is not like the other” (in classic Sesame Street melody)

breld said:

New Z reveal...

I appreciate the relatively simple clean lines. At first blush, it seems too much of an amalgamation of previous Z elements without a cohesive overall design.

But, I’ll reserve judgment for when I see it in the flesh. The fact that Nissan is doing it at all (and on their own) and a manual is offered from the get go are wonderful things.

that is a nice looking design. One of the cleaner ones to come out in recent years. Good looking, not hokey. I approve.

breld said:

stickguy said:

“One of these things is not like the other” (in classic Sesame Street melody)
    that is true. The 2018 is still under warranty.

good catch.

Wizard has an interesting video of the XC90 (ft. a guest who used to sell them). I didn't know that the T5 and T6 engines were so different. The T6 takes the standard turbocharged 2.0 liter four found in the T5, and adds a supercharger for low-end grunt. If you'd asked me, I would have thought that the T6 was just a T5 with hardened internals and the boost cranked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-dpuh5tMv0
    nope. the T6 is the double charger engine in any of the new models.

I watched that this morning. Man, he absolutely hammered MB too for how poorly designed the engine was. But, that is what you get with a TT V8 I guess. To the point of writing off ICE in the near future (damned millenials!)

something to be said for the ubiquitous 2.0T 4 bangers. small, only 1 head, no Vee to bury stuff in. Just has to be a heck of a lot easier to work on. Especially if they design the turbo intelligently.

I came to really appreciate the feel of the T6 in my V90 - at first, its character was a bit hard to get used to coming from the Q7. But it’s a really responsive engine, particularly in its sport mode.

He mentioned Volvo slathered the supercharger in sound deadening, too, so I'm assuming there was no supercharger whine.
    yup. Said that was the reason.

but that engine bay did look packed with stuff.

breld said:

New Z reveal...

I like the rear view.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited September 2020
    Love the T6 in my S60. It’s moves out well, no lag and smooth.

You can hear a faint supercharger whine with the windows open.

I like leaving our summer home early on a Sunday morning and opening it up a few times on the back roads.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

breld said:

New Z reveal...

Oy! Same old FM platform and a $10k-plus price increase? If those assumptions are correct, I project a huge flop.

2013 GTI. price seems ambitious to me, but these days, who knows? A few odd service items on car fax, but it is a VW, so to be expected.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Volkswagen/2013-Volkswagen-GTI-cherry-hill-nj-86aeccc10a0e0a6b55cdb024b2413c45.htm

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    That would be a hoot. Probably an easy additional 100K miles left in that car. In addition to the 6-speed, it has the hi-zoot stereo that plays DVD-A and DTS surround disks. I had an '05. Really great car!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    stickguy said:

2013 GTI. price seems ambitious to me, but these days, who knows? A few odd service items on car fax, but it is a VW, so to be expected.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Volkswagen/2013-Volkswagen-GTI-cherry-hill-nj-86aeccc10a0e0a6b55cdb024b2413c45.htm

5-8 year old GTIs are rarely a good deal. Better to spend a little more for a newer model, and take advantage of the low depreciation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That would be a hoot. Probably an easy additional 100K miles left in that car. In addition to the 6-speed, it has the hi-zoot stereo that plays DVD-A and DTS surround disks. I had an '05. Really great car!
    My only complaint is that, if it were a daily driver for me, I'd prefer the mileage be a tad lower...not so much because it matters to me but for optics with my significant other.

She did comment to me the other day that she can't believe the ZHP now has over 127k miles on it...
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

5-8 year old GTIs are rarely a good deal. Better to spend a little more for a newer model, and take advantage of the low depreciation.
    And personally, I'd avoid the 2015 - first year of the MK7 in the US. We had an early example and there were some annoying build quality issues. Not so with our 2017 Sport or 2018 SE...or 2018 Golf R. Boy, I guess we like our GTI/Golfs. Too bad the Alltrack soured it for us...at least temporarily.

Having said all that, if you could really get comfortable with that 2013, I'm surprised at how nice that MK6 still looks.