Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    qbrozen said:

jpp75 said:

Hey @qbrozen, can you give me a value on a 2017 VolvoV90 CC, in Colorado, 28,500 miles, gray/black. It's in great shape and is CPO, has the luxury package (if that matters) and all the other goodies except for the 4C air suspension. Thanks!

As the seller or buyer?

If trading, you'd probably get $32k'ish. Probably $33k+ from carvana/vroom. As a buyer, well, is it the volvo dealer who CPO'd it the seller? If so, you are probably talking something like $38k. But if you would be the 3rd buyer (first being new, 2nd being CPO buyer, and now you), more like $36k.
    Thanks q, great info as always. I'm the seller and it was certified by Volvo, I'm the second owner and just not loving the car so looking to get out of it and this helps a ton. Appreciate it!
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    My daughter's boyfriend had is new-to-him Fiesta ST totaled by an inattentive driver.
    He is now looking at this - 2017 Ford Focus ST Yellow One-Owner, 40k, manual (natch).
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/821664638/overview/
    Thanks in advance!
    cheers -mathias
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,353
    edited September 2020
    Odo on that Fiesta(correction Focus) reads 44k. Not sure if it makes much of a difference.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    >> Odo on that [Focus] reads 44k. Not sure if it makes much of a difference
    Thanks, I was being sloppy.
    Yeah it does make a bit of a difference.
    Them's HARD miles.
    Not the kind of car I'd like to buy fresh out of warranty. It's not CPO either.
    Heck I just work here... -m
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,605
    Hmmm. I really like that Focus. I can imagine the stink eye my wife would give me if I suggested it of course. Which is why I would make sure not to ask her in advance.

I even have a fondness for yellow cars. Had a couple in my early days (Gremlin and Duster).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fase2988fase2988 Member Posts: 14
    Looking for real world trade in value. 2019 Honda Accord Sport 1.5 in silver. 17,000 miles on it. Minor bumper scratches. Minor curb rash on two wheels. No accidents or paintwork. 11590 zip.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    fase2988 said:

Looking for real world trade in value. 2019 Honda Accord Sport 1.5 in silver. 17,000 miles on it. Minor bumper scratches. Minor curb rash on two wheels. No accidents or paintwork. 11590 zip.

Sounds like a $21k-$21.5k car. Try carvana/vroom.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fase2988fase2988 Member Posts: 14
    qbrozen said:

fase2988 said:

Thank you
  • Options
    What about me?

I'm only whiny because this deal will probably happen tomorrow.

>> He is now looking at this - 2017 Ford Focus ST Yellow One-Owner, 40k, manual (natch).

>>https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/821664638/overview/
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,082
    steine13 said:

What about me?

>> He is now looking at this - 2017 Ford Focus ST Yellow One-Owner, 40k, manual (natch).

No longer available..

I like the Focus ST, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sorry I missed it.

Prices are varied on this. I see a yellow with damn near same miles sold for $19,750, but that's high compared to others. $17k-$18k seems to be the average.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I was behind on information. Focus came home, for $18,500.
    cheers -mathias
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,450
    kyfdx said:

steine13 said:

What about me?

No longer available..

I like the Focus ST, though
    There’s something I like about the Focus ST too

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Perfect to me. Small, hatch, quick, fun, manual. Though I also just described a GTI.

Maybe I can find a Mazda 3 stick. Always liked those.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

fase2988 said:

Don't forget Carmax/Edmunds is doing online quotes too now. They actually beat VROOM by like $100 on my A4, but I had already mailed in my 2nd Key FOB to Vroom; so it was too late.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    $100? Man, I hope you are OK.
    LOL.
    But, no, I actually had no idea Carmax was working online now.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

LOL.

Through Edmunds!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

LOL.

Through Edmunds!!
    Yeah, that made the offer more suspicious HAHAHA!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,810
    stickguy said:

Hmmm. I really like that Focus. I can imagine the stink eye my wife would give me if I suggested it of course. Which is why I would make sure not to ask her in advance.

I even have a fondness for yellow cars. Had a couple in my early days (Gremlin and Duster).

Yeah, the yellow looks GREAT on that car!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,387
    The ST was a very nice car; it was just too similar to my MS3 for me to consider it as a replacement.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited October 2020
    This saga ain't over...
    >> My daughter's boyfriend had is new-to-him Fiesta ST totaled by an inattentive driver.

Now it turns out the car was totaled (small favors) but the insurance payment doesn't cover the loan amount -- dunno what went on there, and though he says he had a 'verbal agreement' with the dealership for gap coverage, it somehow wasn't included in the package and he failed to notice. Good gravy... Interest rate was 2.24% so his credit appears decent.. so much learning going on.

However, without getting too involved, I'd really like to know what the numbers should be on the totaled car... wholesale, please, but also what should the insurance payout be..? After all, they are supposed to cover TTL for the replacement ride.

We're looking at a 2016 Fiesta ST, 33k miles, moonroof, no Recaros, good shape. Color was a dark gray, and it was clean, with no obvious hits, runs, or errors. I drove it and found it a hoot without being overpowered. Brand-name tires with decent tread.

What's it worth?
    Thanks as always -mathias
  • Options
    @steine13,
    I think the insurance settlement includes sales tax. Not sure if that is a state by state thing.
  • Options

@steine13,
    I think the insurance settlement includes sales tax. Not sure if that is a state by state thing.

+1

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,282
    "new-to-him" - how long had he had it and did he roll negative equity into the loan? If it was a short period of time since he bought it, it would be difficult for them to argue its value is less than what he paid for it.
  • Options
    He had it many days but not many weeks before another driver turned left in front of him and nailed him in the rear wheel, bending the frame. Totally the other guys fault -- 'didn't see.' Car was gray and has been replaced by a yellow Focus ST. They'll see THAT.
    I know the taxes were rolled in but I doubt there was any negative equity -- he was coming out of a lease on a Cruze and he wasn't over miles. Right now I'm just trying to get some numbers, because the whole thing doesn't make sense to me yet.
  • Options
    Got it. He had a Fiesta and replaced it with a Focus. This about the settlement on the Fiesta.
  • Options
    steine13 said:

This saga ain't over...
    >> My daughter's boyfriend had is new-to-him Fiesta ST totaled by an inattentive driver.

Now it turns out the car was totaled (small favors) but the insurance payment doesn't cover the loan amount -- dunno what went on there, and though he says he had a 'verbal agreement' with the dealership for gap coverage, it somehow wasn't included in the package and he failed to notice. Good gravy... Interest rate was 2.24% so his credit appears decent.. so much learning going on.

However, without getting too involved, I'd really like to know what the numbers should be on the totaled car... wholesale, please, but also what should the insurance payout be..? After all, they are supposed to cover TTL for the replacement ride.

We're looking at a 2016 Fiesta ST, 33k miles, moonroof, no Recaros, good shape. Color was a dark gray, and it was clean, with no obvious hits, runs, or errors. I drove it and found it a hoot without being overpowered. Brand-name tires with decent tread.

What's it worth?
    Thanks as always -mathias

Mid 13s at auction. Insurance pays replacement cost (minus deductible). I’d call it a solid $17k all-in. That’s $16k + $1k taxes and fees.

• Options
    Thanks a lot, q, that really helps.
    Wow. I figured he was getting the runaround but that is egregious. They are giving him $14, or valuing the car at $14,500 minus the deductible. Nice try.
    It's Progressive, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, because that's my company as well. Never filed a claim with them, knock on wood.

Next time you're in the Manheim App and you have a couple minutes, would you please post the data you found. That should get the company to fold a lot quicker than 'some guy on the internet said,' even if they know it's true. If you're busy, no big deal -- you've been a big help already! cheers -mathias
  • Options
    In my area, Progressive is very competitive on price, however, they are not known for treating people fairly when they have a claim. Check your state law - can you demand that they show you one or more comparable vehicles within a certain radius?
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,401
    I’d also find some ads of comparable fiestas for sale within 15-20 miles. That has helped with progressive, too.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

• Options
    So, they're basically offering him wholesale instead of retail. :@
  • Options
    Wow, that's great information, thanks!
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    edited October 2020
    Isn't a wonderful world we live in? Knowledge is power (so long s it's real).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,995
    edited October 2020
    I haven’t bounced this off the wife yet... What would be a realistic trade in value for my one owner 13 Accord EX, Champagne Pearl Frost, 99750 mi, needs nothing, no bumps, bruises, dents, bodywork ever, brakes front and rear, starter, alternator, serpentine belt and idler all replaced in the last year. Tires 7/32 all around. Interior looks new. Always garage kept. 29707 zip. I hope you have good news! Thanks

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

I haven’t bounced this off the wife yet... What would be a realistic trade in value for my one owner 13 Accord EX, Champagne Pearl Frost, 99750 mi, needs nothing, no bumps, bruises, dents, bodywork ever, brakes front and rear, starter, alternator, serpentine belt and idler all replaced in the last year. Tires 7/32 all around. Interior looks new. Always garage kept. 29707 zip. I hope you have good news! Thanks

About $10k. Maybe a little more. That is definitely something you sell yourself. Ask $13.495 and look for at least $12k.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    corvette said:

This seems to be a thing with insurance companies in the last few years. A co-worker of mine had his car (2010 Legacy) totaled back in 2016, and his carrier (Kentucky Farm Bureau) left him a few grand short of all the comparable vehicles on the market, probably closer to auction value.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    ronsteve said:

corvette said:

This seems to be a thing with insurance companies in the last few years. A co-worker of mine had his car (2010 Legacy) totaled back in 2016, and his carrier (Kentucky Farm Bureau) left him a few grand short of all the comparable vehicles on the market, probably closer to auction value.
    Insurance companies will do whatever they can to charge you as much money as they can and pay out as little as they can when the time comes. Many times when they offer you a payout on a totaled car, it is an initial offer. They count on the fact that the overwhelming majority of people won't do the research for a counteroffer or even know that they can make a counteroffer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    qbrozen said:

sda said:

About $10k. Maybe a little more. That is definitely something you sell yourself. Ask $13.495 and look for at least $12k.

• Options
    sda said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

Thanks, very helpful! Not bad after 7 years and a purchase price of under $23K!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

sda said:

I try not to bounce car ideas off my wife. They will bounce back and knock me over.
    So true! Not sure how far I'm going to get!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,810
    edited October 2020
    nyccarguy said:

sda said:

I try not to bounce car ideas off my wife. They will bounce back and knock me over.
    Man, that's for sure. I ended up selling the 2008 Forester a few days ago. For the last several years my wife mentions from time to time how she doesn't like having it since we are basically paying for other people to use it. After another unsuccessful summer of trying to sell the Q7, I just said "forget it, I'll keep the Q7 for now." I figure it will be another winter or more before my son is driving on his own, so it is better to shed the liability and just start over if/when we decide we actually need another car.

Ironically, a mere hours before going to meet the person to process paperwork, she says to my son, "Well, when you have your license and dad brings the other Forester home..." I piped up with, "no, I sold that car. We can talk about car coordination when the time comes."

She was not thrilled. But, at this point, I'm not sure there's a way to get her to hate me more, so I'm going to call that a successful "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situation. Except, I am not going to ask for forgiveness. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

sda said:

Man, that's for sure. I ended up selling the 2008 Forester a few days ago. For the last several years my wife mentions from time to time how she doesn't like having it since we are basically paying for other people to use it. After another unsuccessful summer of trying to sell the Q7, I just said "forget it, I'll keep the Q7 for now." I figure it will be another winter or more before my son is driving on his own, so it is better to shed the liability and just start over if/when we decide we actually need another car.

Ironically, a mere hours before going to meet the person to process paperwork, she says to my son, "Well, when you have your license and dad brings the other Forester home..." I piped up with, "no, I sold that car. We can talk about car coordination when the time comes."

She was not thrilled. But, at this point, I'm not sure there's a way to get her to hate me more, so I'm going to call that a successful "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situation. Except, I am not going to ask for forgiveness. LOL
    It’s called you can't win regardless of the good intent. I am very familiar with that reality.

• Options
    rovangstarovangsta Member Posts: 5
    Hi - looking to get rid of my 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan lease. 18k miles, black paint, a few door dings and a repaired front bumper after it was hit and run.

What would be the best way to do this? Vroom/Carvana etc or trade in to a dealer? What could I expect to get out of it?
  • Options
    Are you getting a replacement or just rid of it? If straight sale definitely shop it to vroom, carmax (through Edmunds) and Carvana. Carvana has been quite generous lately. And all 3 take about 15 minutes total online. Buy bid from a Honda dealer makes sense too.

• Options
    rovangsta said:

Hi - looking to get rid of my 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan lease. 18k miles, black paint, a few door dings and a repaired front bumper after it was hit and run.

What would be the best way to do this? Vroom/Carvana etc or trade in to a dealer? What could I expect to get out of it?

Was the bumper incident reported? If so, I'd expect around $18.5k or so. If not, maybe $20k.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,791
    rovangsta said:

What is your location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    rovangstarovangsta Member Posts: 5
    qbrozen said:

rovangsta said:

Was the bumper incident reported? If so, I'd expect around $18.5k or so. If not, maybe $20k.
    I don't think so. It did go through insurance but I guess I will need to do a Carfax to see.
    stickguy said:

Are you getting a replacement or just rid of it? If straight sale definitely shop it to vroom, carmax (through Edmunds) and Carvana. Carvana has been quite generous lately. And all 3 take about 15 minutes total online. Buy bid from a Honda dealer makes sense too.

I'll be replacing, but we don't know with what quite yet. We don't need to trade in necessarily and can sell and buy the replacement as separate transactions if more advantageous. I did a Vroom quote last summer just to see and it was below my lease payoff quote at the time. Probably worth a revisit but I hate the calls and emails they and their dealer partners give you afterwards, I just want a quote from them!

Oh, and I'm in the Seattle area for background per another comment.

Thanks
  • Options
    rovangsta said:

On a side note, what are your thoughts on the Si overall?