Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited October 2020
    qbrozen said:

I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

Hey, that's something! There was a time when such a loaner from "Chrysler" would net no positives at all! I believe @andres3 could attest to that! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

I’ll hit them up tomorrow for details just to see what they did.

MF must be marked up big time as they show discounts and rebates.

53% isn’t a bad residual for a GM car. Who in their right mind would pay $850 a month for that car?
    Certainly not me!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

Hey, that's something! There was a time when such a loaner from "Chrysler" would net no positives at all! I believe @andres3 could attest to that! :D

I tried begging for a Challenger R/T they had but she said it was reserved. :(

In other news, today was our anniversary. I confessed that I had pondered a convertible for her. She said “oooo... i would have liked that.” :rolleyes:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    This is the infamous "Scotty" I hear y'all talking about? I've never seen one of his videos.

My dad was ready to buy a 4-cyl Camry LE when he found the Sonata. He could get the V6 for the same price, and he also discovered the sheet metal on the Hyundai was thicker than on the Toyota.

My sisters mechanic was pretty impressed at the condition of ours - of course, being garage kept and only driven 2000-3000 miles a year on average will preserve a car well.

Same colors as the one I'm bringing back to Colorado, just cloth seats instead of leather.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

corvette said:

I guess it's a moot point since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty as an option, but I wonder what they did if someone bought a car and the lifetime warranty and discovered they hated it a couple of months later--does the warranty and the money paid for it just vanish into thin air since it's not transferable?

Not sure... although, the warranty game is exactly that: The group that offers it prices it where they bet that the amount of use it receives is less, on average, than the revenue it provides. Not factoring the time-value of the transaction, the average length-of-ownership cycle is short enough that I'm sure they figured it was a reasonable gamble. They weren't planning on the qbrozens of the world being the majority. Even now, at about 6.5 years, I'm sure that Q is in "elite company" in terms of percent of original owners still out there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    nyccarguy said:

I've said before, as long as the bottom line is cheaper, I don't care what the doc fee is. I can't stand when a dealer makes it sound like they are charging it as a right of passage. "We have to charge it, it is pre printed on the bill of sale" I always politely say no, you don't HAVE to charge it, but if you choose to charge a doc fee, then you MUST charge it to everyone.

When I bought my Legacy, the dealer closer to my house in CT (which is a different distributor, Subaru of New England) had a $299 or $399 Conveyance Fee. The dealer 15 minutes down I-95 (in New York) only charged a $75 doc fee. The CT dealer had a lower selling price, but after I netted out everything the NY dealer came out to $100 cheaper (on the nose). I went back to the CT dealer and asked him to lower his selling price by $100. He asked why. I explained. His answer was: "Well I don't see the problem. We ARE selling you the car cheaper than the other dealer, but we HAVE to charge the Conveyance Fee." I thanked him for his time and went to NY to buy the car.

Can’t blame the dealer for trying, there are a lot of people who wouldn’t understand the BS the dealer was shoveling.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

They gave you a free loaner???
    It is actually a rental! They are paying for it. They have a deal with the local Enterprise. And my lifetime warranty includes a loaner, sooo...

I do have to pay $5/day, though, for taxes or some such fee.
    We often deliver cars to dealerships and body shops for use as loaners. Frequently we have an office near the area where all the car lots are located. I’m sure the dealer is willing to drive a customer across the street if he has insurance that will cover a rental.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited October 2020
    andres3 said:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/304gVEYg/2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design

I like the color, and it's not far from me, but is it fast? Will it fall apart and need monthly care?

What about this as my FIRST BMW in life? https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nqWpb8B/2000-bmw-m5

Any pitfalls? What should it sell at?

Aren’t BMW V8s to be feared? That vintage is my favorite style.

tifighter said:

Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

Hey, don't be coming in here just to stab us in the kidneys... You at least need to post for congenial purposes as well!
    qbrozen said:

I tried begging for a Challenger R/T they had but she said it was reserved. :(

In other news, today was our anniversary. I confessed that I had pondered a convertible for her. She said “oooo... i would have liked that.” :rolleyes:

Ah, I bet the clerk was just messing with you... :disappointed:

Well, live and learn! Or, just live. I don't know about yours, but my wife will swear that I never learn (anything good, anyway).
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

Aren’t BMW V8s to be feared? That vintage is my favorite style.

Yes, and at that age, is not going to be cheap to maintain (the 540i I owned from that generation a few years back certainly was not).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    the Jetta loaner my daughter had this week was from Enterprise (last time IIRC it was just from the dealer). no real difference to her, but it did smell a bit (like smoke I think, or maybe it was the cleaners they used)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

just had to post this for Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK49fizlT4U

I thought Michael was getting an Elantra.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    edited October 2020
    I assumed the caption in the video referred to the the person pictured.
    More than I want to spend, but I'm keeping this in mind.
    https://www.torringtonfordct.com/new-Torrington-2020-Ford-Expedition-Limited-1FMJU2ATXLEA52123
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

stickguy said:

Nope. Moms car is a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

https://www.torringtonfordct.com/new-Torrington-2020-Ford-Expedition-Limited-1FMJU2ATXLEA52123

Very nice! The shorter wheelbase is one of the things I miss about my old Tahoe, compared to the Tundra.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Of the most recent M5s, the E39 is probably the most highly regarded. But, you aren’t buying it because it’ll live on nothing but oil changes for 250k miles. You take care of it and it’ll take care of you.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    xwesx said:

tifighter said:

Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

Hey, don't be coming in here just to stab us in the kidneys... You at least need to post for congenial purposes as well!
    Hey, love hertz.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I guess replacing an F150, the size of the barge doesn't bother you! Not bad looking, but $80K sticker, yowzers.

I love the look and layout of the new Expeditions. That price tag is a tough pill to swallow, though... for sure!
    xwesx said:

I love the look and layout of the new Expeditions. That price tag is a tough pill to swallow, though... for sure!

While I don't remember the sticker price on the '99 Expedition XLT 4x4 we leased, I remember the payment being $465/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

xwesx said:

While I don't remember the sticker price on the '99 Expedition XLT 4x4 we leased, I remember the payment being $465/mo.
    That’s my Volvo payment! 50K MSRP.

That’s a beautiful vehicle but that price! Yikes. That’s more than I paid for my house.

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Nope. Moms car is a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6.
    My bad.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    tjc78 said:

au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

So, I couldn't help myself....

I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.
    So they quoted a 60K Enclave Avenir at $847 a month with zero DAS.

That’s seriously funny stuff right there. That must include a free Encore lease as well.
    What a joke!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Pretty but man, yeah. These and the Tahoe’s have gotten crazy price wise.

corvette said:

Pretty sure those lease numbers are worse than a Tahoe or Yukon. That was the dilemma when I leased the Tundra--either I could have leased a new Tahoe, *or* a new Tundra plus two Tacomas for the same vig.

I can’t quite figure out why the Tahoe/Yukon duo lease so poorly. Nobody expects numbers like some of y’all found on Tundras and Tacomas but still...

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Michaell said:

This is the infamous "Scotty" I hear y'all talking about? I've never seen one of his videos.

Neither had I. That one lasted less than a minute because he sounded like he was drunk, stoned, or otherwise intoxicated. Pass.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

au1994 said:

corvette said:

Pretty sure those lease numbers are worse than a Tahoe or Yukon. That was the dilemma when I leased the Tundra--either I could have leased a new Tahoe, *or* a new Tundra plus two Tacomas for the same vig.

I can’t quite figure out why the Tahoe/Yukon duo lease so poorly. Nobody expects numbers like some of y’all found on Tundras and Tacomas but still...
    The resale isn’t that great on them. You can generally pick up a 3 year old used one for substantially less than MSRP. Legitstreetcars got a screaming deal on an Escalade for his wife, although to be fair, it needed a little reconditioning and had a bad Carfax. 3 year old Tacomas and Tundras are like trying to score a bargain on a “demo model” Accord with 5,000 miles.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

I’ll hit them up tomorrow for details just to see what they did.

MF must be marked up big time as they show discounts and rebates.

53% isn’t a bad residual for a GM car. Who in their right mind would pay $850 a month for that car?
    People are leasing $36K Tellurides for $500/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just checked a local Chevy dealer out of curiosity. ‘21 Tahoe LT 4WD, 0 down, 36/10, $850/mo Tier 1 credit. $58k MSRP.

I haven’t been shopping, but it seems that recently lease prices overall are up quite a bit. And the killer bargain $200 deals are not really out there any more.

This jive with what the experts are seeing every day?

Not sure if I’ll lease again next year or not. If I do, hopefully the market stabilizes by then!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    "clean title" and "nice original paint"
    Anyone else looking at these pics find those statements suspect?
    C70 in FL

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I’m real interested in seeing this. I always liked mini trucks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m8hrNrkkUbM

stickguy said:

I’m real interested in seeing this. I always liked mini trucks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m8hrNrkkUbM

Yeah, thats pretty cool!

@qbrozen,
    Maybe they meant original paint color. :@
    Supply is down so I think that has something to do with it.

If you are a willing buyer ready to sign, deals can be struck. I'm sure if I was ready to pull the trigger I could get that 60K Enclave down to $600 with zero DAS.

Not even sure we really want one, I was just intrigued with "incentives are off the charts"
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

So, I couldn't help myself....

I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.
    So they quoted a 60K Enclave Avenir at $847 a month with zero DAS.

That’s seriously funny stuff right there. That must include a free Encore lease as well.
    36/12 numbers are .00007 and 53%, which means the adjusted cap is right around $62,100.

Not much of a discount from MSRP, me thinks; or, there is a big discount, but they've marked up the MF to compensate.

Either way, a hard pass.
    Backing into their numbers:

MSRP - $59860
    Discount - $1653
    SP - $58207
    Rebate - 2500

In order to get their payment I need to raise the MF to .0011

So all in all they pretty much tried to hit a grand slam with this one.

Most of the large SUV's I see are rentals.
    stickguy said:

I haven’t been shopping, but it seems that recently lease prices overall are up quite a bit. And the killer bargain $200 deals are not really out there any more.

This jive with what the experts are seeing every day?

Not sure if I’ll lease again next year or not. If I do, hopefully the market stabilizes by then!

Seems like about half the folks who are looking to lease are appalled at how expensive it's gotten. "But, I leased my 2017 Grand Cherokee for under $400/mo. Now the dealer wants $550/mo for essentially the same car!".

Yep, leasing has gotten more expensive, in general. Harder to find the 1% deals, like @tjc78 did on his Volvo.

There have been some reports of sub-$200/mo deals, however. Just not on something most of us would want to drive for the next three years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    It appears my Accord sold in two days. It is no longer listed. Someone got a very nice car. I hope they take good care of it! Feels odd to have a 'new' car and just have it sit in the garage as I work from home. I'll find a excuse to drive it this evening, even if it means going to Walmart!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

that is what I was doing with my TLX, just going out to drive it to give it exercise and keep the battery charged. And why I cut it loose early instead of paying a lot of $ per month to have it sit there. Especially when we were also paying for another nice car that doesn't get enough use either.

Just passed 7 month anniversary and I think just ticked over 2,600 miles. 1,400+ of which was put on in 2 weekends going up to NY/VT. So outside of that, probably not putting 200 miles/month on it (the TLX wasn't doing much more than that either)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

the weird dynamics of monthly payment is what I love about leasing. The thrill of finding out what nice cars can be had for less money than boring ones!

MEH! For me, leasing is the equivalent of the TIMESHARE industry. Too many reoccurring access points for scammers to scam and swindle you for more money, and you have no leverage to stop it. I prefer AirBNB, owning, selling, and hotels/motels.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    sda said:

It appears my Accord sold in two days. It is no longer listed. Someone got a very nice car. I hope they take good care of it! Feels odd to have a 'new' car and just have it sit in the garage as I work from home. I'll find a excuse to drive it this evening, even if it means going to Walmart!

You know, Chrysler's were never all that bad in whole if you ignore durability and reliability as factors.

For instance, I'm fairly certain my Neon could beat any "same model-year" Civic short of an SI in a drag race. That's pretty impressive considering the Honda sounds 100 times more efficient and better doing it (and is more efficient fuel economy wise). The problem was in order to win the race the Neon needed to not snap a belt or blow head gaskets or the transmission on the way to winning. Even if you did blow a head gasket the leak is probably slow enough you'll win the race, you'll just have expensive repair bills later; ditto the transmission; it won't strand you, but you'll start to notice drivability issues such as slipping. Meanwhile, you could drag race the Civic for 300,000 miles without a single oil change :smile::open_mouth: OK, maybe that's a SLIGHT exaggeration on the Civic.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

the weird dynamics of monthly payment is what I love about leasing. The thrill of finding out what nice cars can be had for less money than boring ones!

MEH! For me, leasing is the equivalent of the TIMESHARE industry. Too many reoccurring access points for scammers to scam and swindle you for more money, and you have no leverage to stop it. I prefer AirBNB, owning, selling, and hotels/motels.
    leasing is just an alternative method of financing a car.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    To be fair, the big GM trucks are nice vehicles. My Dad has a 2018 Yukon SLT that he factory ordered with no sunroof or DVD player. It currently has over 62,000 miles. It has been flawless. Maintenance costs are minimal. It drives beautifully, the V8 sounds fantastic and puts down ample power. This is his 4th (he had a 2009, 2010, & 2015 previously). None of them have held their value very well. The 2010 was "underwater" when he traded it in on the 2011 (in 2012). The 2011 was underwater when he traded it in and leased the 2015. When the 39 month lease was up on the 2015, he bought the 2018, and he took a 5 year 0% loan instead of the 6 years they offered. He'll probably get a new one in 2021 or 2022.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

sda said:

Time to update your signature line, and mine too!
    edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I could agree with that if there wasn't disposition fees, subjective "excess wear and tear" type fees, and essentially what amounts to prepayment penalties. Also, financing isn't "guaranteed" at the end of the lease. With a "balloon" payment mortgage, for example, what I recall is that all the financing was guaranteed and defined at the end of "balloon popping" period. I might be wrong on that.
    edited October 2020
    nyccarguy said:

To be fair, the big GM trucks are nice vehicles. My Dad has a 2018 Yukon SLT that he factory ordered with no sunroof or DVD player. It currently has over 62,000 miles. It has been flawless. Maintenance costs are minimal. It drives beautifully, the V8 sounds fantastic and puts down ample power. This is his 4th (he had a 2009, 2010, & 2015 previously). None of them have held their value very well. The 2010 was "underwater" when he traded it in on the 2011 (in 2012). The 2011 was underwater when he traded it in and leased the 2015. When the 39 month lease was up on the 2015, he bought the 2018, and he took a 5 year 0% loan instead of the 6 years they offered. He'll probably get a new one in 2021 or 2022.

I think they are very attractive, especially the Yukon. I like that front end a little better, speaking of the previous gen. I drove a neighbors Yukon XL Denali and was duly impressed. Interior was nice and comfortable and the materials were a cut above standard Tahoe or Yukon interiors. GM still does big V-8 trucks and SUV’s well.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I could agree with that if there wasn't disposition fees, subjective "excess wear and tear" type fees, and essentially what amounts to prepayment penalties. Also, financing isn't "guaranteed" at the end of the lease. With a "balloon" payment mortgage, for example, what I recall is that all the financing was guaranteed and defined at the end of "balloon popping" period. I might be wrong on that.
    All the fees are just rolled into the price. And if you buy a car, there are also wear and tear penalties if you go to sell it (that is, you get less for it). Especially if it has a wreck with major repairs needed.

If you Buy a car with a loan and after 3 years sell it, your cost is basically payments and depreciation. No different than on a lease. The biggest difference being, on a lease, you are guaranteed a residual. On your purchase, it’s worth what someone decides to offer you.

And very often, there are significant lease incentives which offset the up front and disposition costs. But still, the bottom line is comparing your total cost to own to determine which method is more cost effective.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    stickguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

All the fees are just rolled into the price. And if you buy a car, there are also wear and tear penalties if you go to sell it (that is, you get less for it). Especially if it has a wreck with major repairs needed.

If you Buy a car with a loan and after 3 years sell it, your cost is basically payments and depreciation. No different than on a lease. The biggest difference being, on a lease, you are guaranteed a residual. On your purchase, it’s worth what someone decides to offer you.

And very often, there are significant lease incentives which offset the up front and disposition costs. But still, the bottom line is comparing your total cost to own to determine which method is more cost effective.
    Amen!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD