Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    ok... but a solid panel isn't a daylight opening. LOL.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3vApe7RO/1985-porsche-928-s

I was tempted... but a Porsche fanatic got it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    928 never did much for me. Especially an automatic. But that one is very nice looking.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,357
    That looked like a good one and the auto doesn’t bother me in those. Much more of a grand tourer than a hard core sports car. Lots of recent maintenance too which is good as our friend Shifty used to warn people that these could bleed a person dry in a hurry.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Found a small crack in the windshield today, Safelite coming on Saturday to repair it. It's pretty small and am betting they can inject that gel like they did with the Mazda3 many years ago. With all the rain these past few days, sun finally came out today and with the windshield so clean, I saw it. Definitely not dirt, a small crack. Called my insurance and seems to be covered and should cost zero dollars.
    Always something with an automobile it seems...lol!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Oh well, had a slight feeling it might be a bit too long for my side of the garage. Showed the wife a new Seltos in the mall and she hated it! I didn't mind it really to be honest and the few I've seen on the road do look great. Seems like my best bet is just going to be the new GTI and that ain't too bad but, would be nice to have more of a selection. And as much as I like my kids Accent, not sure I'd be happy after a few weeks with the Limited model. At least I'd have a sun/moon roof and alloy wheels with 16" tires.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    The neighbors next door have a new Seltos. The bought it when they first came out, so they've had it 6 months or so. It is two tone, dark blue body, white top and mirrors. The dark blue has good depth and looks really nice. They are happy with it. It is the "S" AWD.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    Speaking of windshields, the Outback has a faint crack on the passenger side.

Just looked at the last receipt - I had it replaced in August of last year. Over $900 cost, but I have a $0 deductible plan through State Farm, so no money out of my pocket.

Sucks to have to replace it again, so soon, but that's what insurance is for.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    fintail said:

DLO Fail DLO = Daylight Opening, failing when black filler panels or complete fake windows are used to complete a window line. Lazy design IMO.

qbrozen said:

Huh?

Cost-cutting dictates fewer pieces of glass on newer cars. Look at the last of the RWD Volvos - the 740/760 and 940/960/S90 sedans had a moving window in the rear doors, a fixed window in the rear doors, and yet another window in the rear quarter area. I can't recall anything in recent memory with such a high number of windows.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    corvette said:

fintail said:

DLO Fail DLO = Daylight Opening, failing when black filler panels or complete fake windows are used to complete a window line. Lazy design IMO.

qbrozen said:

Huh?

Cost-cutting dictates fewer pieces of glass on newer cars. Look at the last of the RWD Volvos - the 740/760 and 940/960/S90 sedans had a moving window in the rear doors, a fixed window in the rear doors, and yet another window in the rear quarter area. I can't recall anything in recent memory with such a high number of windows.
    Lower weight, too

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

If I did get a Seltos, I'd also go with the white over blue combo but since I'd have to have the Bose audio system, it would be the top of the line SX turbo. Even though I spend so much less time behind the wheel, I want my tunes to at least sound good. And I'm the kind that can't go out of gear without music on. Guess it was that way from my youth, but the music was always on in the autos we owned and usually in the house. I'm willing to spend the extra$ to get the upgraded sound systems in my rides and no longer want to get it done after market. But will if I have no other choice. And now that we've had Sirius/XM for many years, we like it and am willing to spring for it.
    Have yet to test drive a Seltos but think I'd like it. And I think it'll fit on my side of the garage so shouldn't be an issue.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

Showed the wife a new Seltos in the mall and she hated it! I didn't mind it really to be honest and the few I've seen on the road do look great.

Since she isn't the one driving it I would suggest it is a "too bad/so sad" situation for her. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

not driving it, not paying for it, shouldn't have a say in it!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    Aren’t you guys married??? LOL

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I usually come home and say 'I just bought a car', but not always.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Yeah, best to reach a compromise on that sort of thing. Not all of us can have wives that are supportive of our obsession. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    You can use me as an example of what happens if you don't.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    tjc78 said:

I generally would give her a courtesy call. But usually by the time I finally do something, she is tired of hearing about it and looking, and just tells me to get whatever I want.

of course, this only goes for something that won't be her car, with the caveat that if she hates it, don't expect her to ride in it. So if I go too off the wall, better be sure I don't mind using her car any time we are together.

her car, I know enough to let that be 100% her choice!

plus, right now we have one car, so if I get some weird toy, she will just pretend we still only have 1 car!

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

I generally would give her a courtesy call. But usually by the time I finally do something, she is tired of hearing about it and looking, and just tells me to get whatever I want.

of course, this only goes for something that won't be her car, with the caveat that if she hates it, don't expect her to ride in it. So if I go too off the wall, better be sure I don't mind using her car any time we are together.

her car, I know enough to let that be 100% her choice!
    Wow, yours does better than mine. If I talk about something like that, she will usually just tell me that she doesn't care.... until I actually do something, then she's quite put out about "not including her."

However, I can see this discussion going quite sideways in the near future, so I'm just going to zip it now. :D
    When is the last time you saw one of these? And, damn, this has to be the best remaining example on earth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

must be the nicest one left. A guy up the block from me had a burgandy one. Sat on the driveway for years, just sagging away looking bad. Flat tires, etc. They eventually sold the house at least 5 years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the car.

for the price, not a bad little runabout convertible.

qbrozen said:

When is the last time you saw one of these? And, damn, this has to be the best remaining example on earth.

Eech. Such a homely car, and the convertible does nothing for that appearance!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Exactly, it is a fake daylight opening, a fail :)
    qbrozen said:

ok... but a solid panel isn't a daylight opening. LOL.

I think I need this. LOL.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

Just watched the video of the 2021 Elantra N-Line and really liked it! Not sure if the length will work for my parking situation, but will definitely give it a try once it comes to our marketplace. Was obvious how much the reviewer liked the car and think Hyundai did a nice job with it's overall look, both inside and out. Looks killer in red and assuming it'll also come in black & white and hopefully a gray color. Only negative for me is that it's a sedan and I prefer a hatchback to be honest but hopefully, Hyundai will make it in a hatch also. Looks to be a more grown up vehicle now and they did a great job shrinking the Sonata. Also was impressed with the projected miles per gallon, as it seems to be more on the economical side while driving more on the sporty side. A very good combination if his figures play out here in the real world. Am hoping that it'll cost somewhere around the $25K point or even less. I would definitely go with the auto tranny if I did indeed purchase one. And like most Hyundai/Kia products, am assuming it'll be "cheap to keep", something I'd like going forward if possible. Depending on how it drives and the cost, could definitely see me buying one as my next vehicle!
    Good job Hyundai!!!

Bring a tape measure to work. That’s what I did for a few months before I bought a car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Rained all day today so it was a bit of a chore driving at work. I had to drive the 13-pack right around lunchtime, but glad I did. While at PBI getting two vehicles to bring to an office in Lantana, the other two got into a slight accident while one was backing up. It didn't hurt the paint but it left a nice dimple in the sheet metal. Naturally, there were forms to fill out and it took a good hour to get that all done. But accidents do happen, just part of the game I suspect. We eventually got another vehicle and dropped both off at the location that needed them. Was just glad that I wasn't involved to be honest. I'm sure that after a certain amount of these fender benders, Enterprise would have no choice but to let the multiple offender go. No one likes to fire someone or get fired, but depending on how many vehicles get damaged, management has no other choice than to sever ties with that person. I do remember someone I worked with as an independent contractor who also got hired by Hertz, getting fired because he had a bunch of small fender benders. Guess they felt that he was too great a risk and had to say good bye once and for all.
    I know these kind of things are sometimes unavoidable but I try very hard to be as careful as I can so not to have one. I did have one at Hertz, minor though it was, I still had to fill out paperwork and then go for a drug test. Doubt they do the drug testing anymore, but back then, it was mandatory. And with all the rain today, we saw a multitude of accidents all over South Florida!

Up here Enterprise has a three strikes and out policy. Some of the guys have come pretty close. One had two accidents in his first month, one was a doozie where he wrapped a 900 miles cargo van around a steel beam coming into the yard. Another guy actually knocked the gate to the yard off the hinges because he said the gas pedal stuck.

Then we had one crash into a tractor trailer, knocking the wheels off the truck, another who flipped a car end over end and a young guy who didn’t tell the company he was on heavy duty pain killers and passed out, rolling the Jeep in a ditch.

And that’s only the ones I know about. None of them was drug tested which blows my mind.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

a lot easier to google. 184.1"

qbrozen said:

I think I need this. LOL.

If that had a stick, I would fight you for it. That is the vintage I had (though I think my was a 1974). Yellow X, big 6 and 3 speed on the floor. Same dash and steering wheel.

probably a death ride with that much power, if you touch the gas in the wet on a corner. Or crest a hill. But, must be fun!

andres3 said:

Was that a good Porsche model? I remember seeing one in the cash for clunkers line at the dealer in 2009.

down the rabbit hole, and what do I find at the bottom, one of my other "dream cars" from back in my HS days!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mercury-capri-4/

tjc78 said:

I only have to get color approval, after that it’s anything goes.

qbrozen said:

I actually like that.

qbrozen said:

I actually like that.
    So do I. Reliable drivetrain. Seats look comfy. Wife didn’t seem enthused though.

stickguy said:

down the rabbit hole, and what do I find at the bottom, one of my other "dream cars" from back in my HS days!

I always loved those cars but are you sure it isn’t this one?

https://youtu.be/uj8H4WHkRD8

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    I was not a fan of the first gen Capri, but the older brother of a good childhood friend of mine bought either a '76 or '77 model. Silver, with a black interior. Sharp looking vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Darn. I missed this milestone. It took me a while to sync up having a camera on hand and being in the vehicle...

It turned over on my way to work this morning.

stickguy said:

IIRC those were not good cars. Aside from rust issues, they had front end woes and things like wipers and heaters used to go bad with great regularity.

qbrozen said:

I never liked the styling of those, very uninspired. When I would see a rare convertible version with the top down around here I always used to think they should have built a small pickup off that body, as it looked like truck styling.

The Infiniti convertible in some ways reminds me of an 80s K-car.

Now this is a convertible!

Channeling my inner My Cousin Vinny

I’d take this in a minute.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-cadillac-62-convertible-6/

tjc78 said:

Now this is a convertible!

Channeling my inner My Cousin Vinny

I’d take this in a minute.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-cadillac-62-convertible-6/

That is very nice. It might be a better investment to buy classic cars as the price of late model used cars are still crazy. Yesterday we delivered a pick up to a dealer for $38k. 9 months ago that same truck was going for $27-30k. It’s going to take a long time to work through that high priced inventory before prices regain sanity.

Chase scene was a gen 2. I like those also.

edited October 2020

Rained all day today so it was a bit of a chore driving at work. I had to drive the 13-pack right around lunchtime, but glad I did. While at PBI getting two vehicles to bring to an office in Lantana, the other two got into a slight accident while one was backing up. It didn't hurt the paint but it left a nice dimple in the sheet metal. Naturally, there were forms to fill out and it took a good hour to get that all done. But accidents do happen, just part of the game I suspect. We eventually got another vehicle and dropped both off at the location that needed them. Was just glad that I wasn't involved to be honest. I'm sure that after a certain amount of these fender benders, Enterprise would have no choice but to let the multiple offender go. No one likes to fire someone or get fired, but depending on how many vehicles get damaged, management has no other choice than to sever ties with that person. I do remember someone I worked with as an independent contractor who also got hired by Hertz, getting fired because he had a bunch of small fender benders. Guess they felt that he was too great a risk and had to say good bye once and for all.
    I know these kind of things are sometimes unavoidable but I try very hard to be as careful as I can so not to have one. I did have one at Hertz, minor though it was, I still had to fill out paperwork and then go for a drug test. Doubt they do the drug testing anymore, but back then, it was mandatory. And with all the rain today, we saw a multitude of accidents all over South Florida!

Up here Enterprise has a three strikes and out policy. Some of the guys have come pretty close. One had two accidents in his first month, one was a doozie where he wrapped a 900 miles cargo van around a steel beam coming into the yard. Another guy actually knocked the gate to the yard off the hinges because he said the gas pedal stuck.

Then we had one crash into a tractor trailer, knocking the wheels off the truck, another who flipped a car end over end and a young guy who didn’t tell the company he was on heavy duty pain killers and passed out, rolling the Jeep in a ditch.

And that’s only the ones I know about. None of them was drug tested which blows my mind.
    So what your saying is they'll hire anyone and anything with a pulse. :worried:

If I was running things, any at-fault collision within the first 6 month "probationary" period would equal 3 strikes.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

andres3 said:

Was that a good Porsche model? I remember seeing one in the cash for clunkers line at the dealer in 2009.
    Not sure. Porsche was perennially at the top of JD Powers it seems like forever. It has a V8. Looks to be in good shape, and they already spent a small fortune on it to get it in tip top running condition. Someone thought it was worth more than $20K; so can't be that bad, can it?
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

IIRC those were not good cars. Aside from rust issues, they had front end woes and things like wipers and heaters used to go bad with great regularity.
    My dad had a 1973, same drivetrain. Had it for too short a time because the electrics were terrible. ☹
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    edited October 2020
    xwesx said:

Darn. I missed this milestone. It took me a while to sync up having a camera on hand and being in the vehicle...

It turned over on my way to work this morning.

Time to trade it in! You can't own an Audi past 100K. Everyone here seems to think they implode soon thereafter.

Admittedly, the old 4.2 V8 with the inaccessible timing chains is like holding a grenade with the pin halfway out by 100,000 miles.
    I figure that after almost 50 years, any issues like that have been sorted out.

andres3 said:

Admittedly, the old 4.2 V8 with the inaccessible timing chains is like holding a grenade with the pin halfway out by 100,000 miles.

Well, if it is going to implode, I do hope it chooses soon! The settlement warranty continues to 120,000 miles, so now's the time to go belly up if it is going to do it. :D
    stickguy said:

I figure that after almost 50 years, any issues like that have been sorted out.

Too many vehicles under discussion.... to which were you referring?